Linux: screws up so often they invented a mnemonic - Linux

This is a discussion on Linux: screws up so often they invented a mnemonic - Linux ; "Raising Elephants Is So Utterly Boring." Press Alt + SysRq + r Alt + SysRq + e Alt + SysRq + i Alt + SysRq + s Alt + SysRq + u Alt + SysRq + b to regain control ...

  1. Linux: screws up so often they invented a mnemonic

    "Raising Elephants Is So Utterly Boring."

    Press

    Alt + SysRq + r
    Alt + SysRq + e
    Alt + SysRq + i
    Alt + SysRq + s
    Alt + SysRq + u
    Alt + SysRq + b

    to regain control of your slopware.

  2. Re: Linux: screws up so often they invented a mnemonic

    On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 00:46:39 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > "Raising Elephants Is So Utterly Boring."
    >
    > Press
    >
    > Alt + SysRq + r
    > Alt + SysRq + e
    > Alt + SysRq + i
    > Alt + SysRq + s
    > Alt + SysRq + u
    > Alt + SysRq + b
    >
    > to regain control of your slopware.

    They should design a sticker with that on it to replace the "Windows
    Inside" Sticker that is on 90 percent of computer systems.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: Linux: screws up so often they invented a mnemonic

    Moshe Goldfarb is flatfish (aka: Gary Stewart)

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic
    * Racist
    * Habitual liar

  4. Re: Visa ME: screws up so often they invented a mnemonic

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  5. Re: Micoshaft Windopws: screws up so often they invented a mnemonic

    Micoshaft Fraudster and Asstroturfer DFS wrote on behalf of Half Wits from
    Micoshaft Corporation:

    > "R

    Clippy

    Clippy is actually a mnemonic for demonised windummy users to worship as an
    angel. Only Clippy can save them remember. I'm sure they are so drunk on
    indoctrination, nothing can save Clippy worshippers like Doofy.

    Doofy, try worshipping Richard Stallman for giving you GPL and Linux
    Torvolds for Linux.

    http://www.livecdlist.com
    http://www.distrowatch.com

  6. Re: Micoshaft Windopws: screws up so often they invented a mnemonic

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, 7

    wrote
    on Wed, 16 Apr 2008 20:26:15 GMT
    :
    > Micoshaft Fraudster and Asstroturfer DFS wrote on behalf of Half Wits from
    > Micoshaft Corporation:
    >
    >> "R

    > Clippy
    >
    > Clippy is actually a mnemonic for demonised windummy users
    > to worship as an angel.

    Hmm...an acronym, eh?

    Castrated
    Linux-averse
    Indoctrinated
    Power
    Point
    erm...Ytterbium? Youth? Y me? Ye gods?

    OK, my brain hurts. ;-)

    > Only Clippy can save them remember. I'm sure they are so drunk on
    > indoctrination, nothing can save Clippy worshippers like Doofy.
    >
    > Doofy, try worshipping Richard Stallman for giving you GPL and Linux
    > Torvolds for Linux.
    >
    > http://www.livecdlist.com
    > http://www.distrowatch.com

    Clippy has apparently been replaced by the Crabby Office Lady.

    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/he...679371033.aspx

    Apparently the real person -- Annik Stahl -- is indeed
    a real person, and writes the columns herself, though
    apparently she also roams the halls of Microsoft to flag
    down an unwary writer, program manager, developer, her
    editor, or even an occasional intern (the interactions with
    which she terms "on occasion embarrassing but fruitful").

    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/he...264381033.aspx

    Then again, Clippy may still be somewhere in Ms. Stahl's
    hair or something:

    http://news.zdnet.co.uk/emergingtech...2088014,00.htm

    though one now has to explicitly ask for the paper clip.

    Also, Clippy's official retirement videos are AWOL,
    though there are plenty of parodies (one of them is even
    available for vi, named Vigor; another parody involves
    Clippy giving helpful suggestions on what Clippy thinks
    is a suicide note).

    For its part OpenOffice might have a light bulb, and I'm
    not even sure it's turned on now in my installation. ;-)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Q: "Why is my computer doing that?"
    A: "Don't do that and you'll be fine."

  7. Re: Micoshaft Windopws: screws up so often they invented a mnemonic

    Verily I say unto thee, that The Ghost In The Machine spake thusly:
    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, 7
    > wrote on Wed, 16 Apr 2008 20:26:15 GMT
    > :
    >> Micoshaft Fraudster and Asstroturfer DFS wrote on behalf of Half
    >> Wits from Micoshaft Corporation:

    >>> "R

    >> Clippy
    >>
    >> Clippy is actually a mnemonic for demonised windummy users to
    >> worship as an angel.

    > Hmm...an acronym, eh?

    Ahem ... mnemonic != acronym

    "something intended to assist the memory"

    Like this:

    http://media.slated.org/albums/userp...hAndClippy.jpg

    > Castrated
    > Linux-averse
    > Indoctrinated
    > Power
    > Point
    > erm...Ytterbium? Youth? Y me? Ye gods?

    Your acronym-fu is weak with the force today.

    Could
    Learn
    If
    Properly
    Prepared
    Yourself

    Countless
    Lazy
    Idiots
    Prefer
    Pressing
    "YES"

    Can't
    Let
    Illiteracy
    Prevent
    Pretentious
    Yammering

    Crazy
    Linguistic
    Instrument
    Produces
    Pidgin
    Yiddish

    > OK, my brain hurts. ;-)

    [snipperoo]

    > Clippy has apparently been replaced by the Crabby Office Lady.
    >
    > http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/he...679371033.aspx
    >
    > Apparently the real person -- Annik Stahl -- is indeed a real person,
    > and writes the columns herself, though apparently she also roams the
    > halls of Microsoft to flag down an unwary writer, program manager,
    > developer, her editor, or even an occasional intern (the interactions
    > with which she terms "on occasion embarrassing but fruitful").

    Does she assault her co-workers with inane questions about what they're
    trying to do?

    "I see you're trying to have lunch. Would you like me to eat some of
    that for you?"

    "I see you're trying to have a dump. Would you like me to wipe your arse
    for you?"

    "I see you're trying to stab me with a knife. Would you like me to die
    for you?"

    [rest snipped for bravery]

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    `----

    23:32:54 up 117 days, 20:08, 4 users, load average: 0.02, 0.02, 0.03

  8. Re: Micoshaft Windopws: screws up so often they invented a mnemonic

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Homer

    wrote
    on Wed, 16 Apr 2008 23:33:14 +0100
    :
    > Verily I say unto thee, that The Ghost In The Machine spake thusly:
    >> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, 7
    >> wrote on Wed, 16 Apr 2008 20:26:15 GMT
    >> :
    >>> Micoshaft Fraudster and Asstroturfer DFS wrote on behalf of Half
    >>> Wits from Micoshaft Corporation:

    >>> Clippy
    >>>
    >>> Clippy is actually a mnemonic for demonised windummy users to
    >>> worship as an angel.

    >> Hmm...an acronym, eh?

    > Ahem ... mnemonic != acronym
    >
    > "something intended to assist the memory"
    >
    > Like this:
    >
    > http://media.slated.org/albums/userp...hAndClippy.jpg

    It took him *7 years* to find Clippy? Ye gods.

    :-)

    >> Castrated
    >> Linux-averse
    >> Indoctrinated
    >> Power
    >> Point
    >> erm...Ytterbium? Youth? Y me? Ye gods?

    > Your acronym-fu is weak with the force today.

    Not my specialty. ;-)

    > Could
    > Learn
    > If
    > Properly
    > Prepared
    > Yourself
    >
    > Countless
    > Lazy
    > Idiots
    > Prefer
    > Pressing
    > "YES"
    >
    > Can't
    > Let
    > Illiteracy
    > Prevent
    > Pretentious
    > Yammering
    >
    > Crazy
    > Linguistic
    > Instrument
    > Produces
    > Pidgin
    > Yiddish

    All good suggestions.

    >> OK, my brain hurts. ;-)

    > [snipperoo]
    >
    >> Clippy has apparently been replaced by the Crabby Office Lady.
    >>
    >> http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/he...679371033.aspx
    >>
    >> Apparently the real person -- Annik Stahl -- is indeed a real person,
    >> and writes the columns herself, though apparently she also roams the
    >> halls of Microsoft to flag down an unwary writer, program manager,
    >> developer, her editor, or even an occasional intern (the interactions
    >> with which she terms "on occasion embarrassing but fruitful").

    > Does she assault her co-workers with inane questions about what they're
    > trying to do?

    I wouldn't know.

    > "I see you're trying to have lunch. Would you like me to eat some of
    > that for you?"
    >
    > "I see you're trying to have a dump. Would you like me to wipe your arse
    > for you?"
    >
    > "I see you're trying to stab me with a knife. Would you like me to die
    > for you?"
    >
    > [rest snipped for bravery]

    Chicken. ;-)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Windows Vista. Now in nine exciting editions. Try them all!

  9. Re: Linux: screws up so often they invented a mnemonic

    On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 00:46:39 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > "Raising Elephants Is So Utterly Boring."
    >
    > Press
    >
    > Alt + SysRq + r
    > Alt + SysRq + e
    > Alt + SysRq + i
    > Alt + SysRq + s
    > Alt + SysRq + u
    > Alt + SysRq + b
    >
    > to regain control of your slopware.

    http://edition.cnn.com/2004/TECH/pte...delete.man.ap/

    :: Meet the inventor of 'CtrlAltDelete'
    ::
    :: At a 20-year celebration for the IBM PC, Bradley was on a panel with
    :: Microsoft founder Bill Gates and other tech icons. The discussion
    :: turned to the keys.
    ::
    :: "I may have invented it, but Bill made it famous," Bradley said.
    ::
    :: Gates didn't laugh. The key combination also is used when software,
    :: such as Microsoft's Windows operating system, fails.

  10. Re: Linux: screws up so often they invented a mnemonic

    On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 19:36:49 -0500, blobby wrote:

    > On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 00:46:39 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >
    >> "Raising Elephants Is So Utterly Boring."
    >>
    >> Press
    >>
    >> Alt + SysRq + r
    >> Alt + SysRq + e
    >> Alt + SysRq + i
    >> Alt + SysRq + s
    >> Alt + SysRq + u
    >> Alt + SysRq + b
    >>
    >> to regain control of your slopware.

    > http://edition.cnn.com/2004/TECH/pte...delete.man.ap/
    >
    > :: Meet the inventor of 'CtrlAltDelete'
    > ::
    > :: At a 20-year celebration for the IBM PC, Bradley was on a panel with
    > :: Microsoft founder Bill Gates and other tech icons. The discussion
    > :: turned to the keys.
    > ::
    > :: "I may have invented it, but Bill made it famous," Bradley said.
    > ::
    > :: Gates didn't laugh. The key combination also is used when software,
    > :: such as Microsoft's Windows operating system, fails.

    I forgot the video is on youtube. Its a shame they took so long to
    switch to the camera on billy boy.

    http://youtube.com/watch?v=1zADyh0JQh8

  11. Re: Linux: screws up so often they invented a mnemonic

    On 2008-04-16, DFS wrote:
    > "Raising Elephants Is So Utterly Boring."
    >
    > Press
    >
    > Alt + SysRq + r
    > Alt + SysRq + e
    > Alt + SysRq + i
    > Alt + SysRq + s
    > Alt + SysRq + u
    > Alt + SysRq + b
    >
    > to regain control of your slopware.

    Thanks for the tip. Perhaps someday I will need to use it.

    ...probably not though.

    --
    OpenDoc is moot when Apple is your one stop iShop. |||
    / | \

  12. Re: Linux: screws up so often they invented a mnemonic

    On 2008-04-18, JEDIDIAH wrote:
    > On 2008-04-16, DFS wrote:
    >> "Raising Elephants Is So Utterly Boring."
    >>
    >> Press
    >>
    >> Alt + SysRq + r
    >> Alt + SysRq + e
    >> Alt + SysRq + i
    >> Alt + SysRq + s
    >> Alt + SysRq + u
    >> Alt + SysRq + b
    >>
    >> to regain control of your slopware.

    > Thanks for the tip. Perhaps someday I will need to use it.
    >
    > ...probably not though.

    I don't even have the "magic sysReq keys" option switched on in my
    kernels.

    The only time I've EVER had problems with my Linux machines locking up
    was on my Thinkpad with a proprietary ATI driver... This was years ago.

    --
    Regards,

    Gregory.
    Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

  13. Re: Linux: screws up so often they invented a mnemonic

    On 18 Apr 2008 23:31:14 GMT, Gregory Shearman wrote:

    > On 2008-04-18, JEDIDIAH wrote:
    >> On 2008-04-16, DFS wrote:
    >>> "Raising Elephants Is So Utterly Boring."
    >>>
    >>> Press
    >>>
    >>> Alt + SysRq + r
    >>> Alt + SysRq + e
    >>> Alt + SysRq + i
    >>> Alt + SysRq + s
    >>> Alt + SysRq + u
    >>> Alt + SysRq + b
    >>>
    >>> to regain control of your slopware.

    >> Thanks for the tip. Perhaps someday I will need to use it.
    >>
    >> ...probably not though.
    >>

    > I don't even have the "magic sysReq keys" option switched on in my
    > kernels.

    Obviously you've never worked with Mainframes.......

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/