Linux crapware: breakin' hearts of the faithful - Linux

This is a discussion on Linux crapware: breakin' hearts of the faithful - Linux ; He's pissed! "This really stinks... I had thought I had the issue resolved by disabling powerstepping in my bios, adding noapic, nolapic, irqpoll, ht = on cheatcodes to my menu.lst, and even screwing with powernowd. Well I have had my ...

  1. Linux crapware: breakin' hearts of the faithful

    He's pissed!

    "This really stinks... I had thought I had the issue resolved by disabling
    powerstepping in my bios, adding noapic, nolapic, irqpoll, ht = on
    cheatcodes to my menu.lst, and even screwing with powernowd. Well I have had
    my computer freeze 3 times in less than two hours, each time with the exact
    same schutt I've been seeing for the past few months. I have always been a
    loyal Ubuntu user and have successfully converted my grandma, mother, 2 of
    my brothers, my girlfriend, and 4 of my best friends to using Ubuntu almost
    exclusively. Now I (the Ubuntu guru amongst my friends) am unable to
    continue using it. This kind of problem just being accepted as a 'low
    importance' bug that has reduced the average uptime of my computer to less
    than an hour and a half is truly pathetic. Its not limited to Ubuntu as the
    other Distro's I have tried exhibit the same behavior. I am (instead of
    continuing to lose work constantly, and pull my f'ing hair out all the time)
    just go back to using windows. I really didn't mind the spyware and the
    crashing, and the slowness, so long as my computer was useable. When it's
    possible just to type papers, send emails, and browse the web without my
    computer hard crashing every hour and a half, I might come back. I have
    (until recently) had a great linux/ubuntu experience, but if Linux can't run
    stably on a dual core computer (which have been common for over a year now)
    it might just be advancing too slowly, and with too little regard for
    stability. So long everyone, I'll more than likely check back in a few years
    when Linux is capable of running on my hardware."

    #569 at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=412125&page=57

  2. Re: Linux crapware: breakin' hearts of the faithful

    On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 00:41:42 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > He's pissed!
    >
    > "This really stinks... I had thought I had the issue resolved by disabling
    > powerstepping in my bios, adding noapic, nolapic, irqpoll, ht = on
    > cheatcodes to my menu.lst, and even screwing with powernowd. Well I have had
    > my computer freeze 3 times in less than two hours, each time with the exact
    > same schutt I've been seeing for the past few months. I have always been a
    > loyal Ubuntu user and have successfully converted my grandma, mother, 2 of
    > my brothers, my girlfriend, and 4 of my best friends to using Ubuntu almost
    > exclusively. Now I (the Ubuntu guru amongst my friends) am unable to
    > continue using it. This kind of problem just being accepted as a 'low
    > importance' bug that has reduced the average uptime of my computer to less
    > than an hour and a half is truly pathetic. Its not limited to Ubuntu as the
    > other Distro's I have tried exhibit the same behavior. I am (instead of
    > continuing to lose work constantly, and pull my f'ing hair out all the time)
    > just go back to using windows. I really didn't mind the spyware and the
    > crashing, and the slowness, so long as my computer was useable. When it's
    > possible just to type papers, send emails, and browse the web without my
    > computer hard crashing every hour and a half, I might come back. I have
    > (until recently) had a great linux/ubuntu experience, but if Linux can't run
    > stably on a dual core computer (which have been common for over a year now)
    > it might just be advancing too slowly, and with too little regard for
    > stability. So long everyone, I'll more than likely check back in a few years
    > when Linux is capable of running on my hardware."
    >
    > #569 at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=412125&page=57

    And the sad part is that this huy can never get back the time he wasted
    futzing with Linux.

    That's the problem with Linux.
    It consumes time like Rosie O'Donnell consumes doughnuts.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: Linux crapware: breakin' hearts of the faithful

    Moshe Goldfarb is flatfish (aka: Gary Stewart)

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic
    * Racist
    * Habitual liar

  4. Re: Windummy Micoshaft Corporation crapware: breakin' hearts of the faithful

    Micoshaft Fraudster and Asstroturfer DFS wrote on behalf of half wits from
    Micoshaft Corporation:

    He's pissed!

    "This really stinks... I had thought I had the issue resolved by disabling
    powerstepping in my bios, adding noapic, nolapic, irqpoll, ht = on
    cheatcodes to my menu.lst, and even screwing with powernowd. Well I have had
    my computer freeze 3 times in less than two hours, each time with the exact
    same schutt I've been seeing for the past few months. I have always been a
    loyal Ubuntu user and have successfully converted my grandma, mother, 2 of
    my brothers, my girlfriend, and 4 of my best friends to using Clippy almost
    exclusively. Now I (the Ubuntu guru amongst my friends) am unable to
    continue using it. This kind of problem just being accepted as a 'low
    importance' bug that has reduced the average uptime of my computer to less
    than an hour and a half is truly pathetic. Its not limited to Expee as the
    other Distro's I have tried exhibit the same behavior. I am (instead of
    continuing to lose work constantly, and pull my f'ing hair out all the time)
    just go back to using Linux. I really did mind the spyware and the
    crashing, and the slowness, so long as my computer was useable, I was
    suckered into continually using it and it was keeping my data private -
    which it isn't. When it's possible just to type papers, send emails, and
    browse the web without my computer hard crashing every hour and a half, I
    might come back. I have had a great linux/ubuntu experience, but if
    Windopws can't run
    stably on a dual core computer (which it can't for over a year now - even
    Linux virtualbox emulates windummy OSen faster)
    it might just be advancing too slowly, and with too little regard for
    stability. So long everyone, I'll more than likely check back in a few years
    when Linux is running on all my hardware and my office place and everywhere
    else. Its just too important to not miss."

  5. Re: Linux crapware: breakin' hearts of the faithful

    wdyssmd wrote:

    >Why?

    *plonk*

  6. Re: Linux crapware: breakin' hearts of the faithful

    "chrisv" wrote in message
    > wdyssmd wrote:
    >
    >>Why?

    > *plonk*