[News] Tesco Stops Defective-by-Design-only, Windows-only Downloads - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Tesco Stops Defective-by-Design-only, Windows-only Downloads - Linux ; Tesco breaks free of WMA chains ,----[ Quote ] | TESCO DIGITAL will soon be launched in the UK. The partly DRM-free music | download concern will now offer 1.6 million Ipod-friendly MP3 files alongside | the current roster 1.7-million ...

  1. [News] Tesco Stops Defective-by-Design-only, Windows-only Downloads

    Tesco breaks free of WMA chains

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | TESCO DIGITAL will soon be launched in the UK. The partly DRM-free music
    | download concern will now offer 1.6 million Ipod-friendly MP3 files alongside
    | the current roster 1.7-million Windows-hamstringed tunes.
    `----

    http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...ree-wma-chains

    Finally. Choice.

    Related:

    Tesco sell computers with Ubuntu pre-installed - Linux on the up?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Tesco is the world's third largest grocery retailer, and also sells
    | everything from clothes to electrical equipment. *
    `----

    http://tech.blorge.com/Structure
    %20/2007/10/21/tesco-sell-computers-with-ubuntu-pre-installed-linux-on-the-up/

    Tesco, Every little helps...

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Tesco are selling computers with Ubuntu pre-installed.
    `----

    http://daviey.mooo.com/uncategorized...tle-helps.html

  2. Re: [News] Tesco Stops Defective-by-Design-only, Windows-only Downloads

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    > Tesco breaks free of WMA chains
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >> TESCO DIGITAL will soon be launched in the UK. The partly DRM-free
    >> music download concern will now offer 1.6 million Ipod-friendly MP3
    >> files alongside the current roster 1.7-million Windows-hamstringed
    >> tunes.

    > `----
    >
    > http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...ree-wma-chains
    >
    > Finally. Choice.

    But mp3 is licensed, patented, "encumbered" technology.
    http://mp3licensing.com/royalty/software.html

    Why would you so-called "free software" lusers care whether it's available?

  3. Re: [News] Tesco Stops Defective-by-Design-only, Windows-only Downloads

    On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 23:11:48 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >> Tesco breaks free of WMA chains
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> TESCO DIGITAL will soon be launched in the UK. The partly DRM-free
    >>> music download concern will now offer 1.6 million Ipod-friendly MP3
    >>> files alongside the current roster 1.7-million Windows-hamstringed
    >>> tunes.

    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...ree-wma-chains
    >>
    >> Finally. Choice.

    > But mp3 is licensed, patented, "encumbered" technology.
    > http://mp3licensing.com/royalty/software.html
    >
    > Why would you so-called "free software" lusers care whether it's available?

    For the same reasons Mark Kent claims their is no such thing as
    intellectual property despite the fact that his company uses it as a
    marketing point.

    Hypocrites.

    These people are hypocrites.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  4. Re: [News] Tesco Stops Defective-by-Design-only, Windows-only Downloads

    Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    > On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 23:11:48 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >
    >> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>> Tesco breaks free of WMA chains
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> `----
    >>>
    >>> http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...ree-wma-chains
    >>>
    >>> Finally. Choice.

    >> But mp3 is licensed, patented, "encumbered" technology.
    >> http://mp3licensing.com/royalty/software.html
    >>
    >> Why would you so-called "free software" lusers care whether it's
    >> available?

    > For the same reasons Mark Kent claims their is no such thing as
    > intellectual property despite the fact that his company uses it as a
    > marketing point.
    >
    > Hypocrites.
    >
    > These people are hypocrites.

    Extreme ones, at that. Notice how they killfile or run away and refuse to
    answer for their claims, or support their twisted beliefs.

    Only lusers do one-way "advocacy".

  5. Re: [News] Tesco Stops Defective-by-Design-only, Windows-only Downloads

    Moshe Goldfarb is flatfish (aka: Gary Stewart)

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic
    * Racist
    * Habitual liar

  6. Re: [News] Tesco Stops Defective-by-Design-only, Windows-only Downloads

    > Tesco breaks free of WMA chains
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | TESCO DIGITAL will soon be launched in the UK. The partly DRM-free
    > | music download concern will now offer 1.6 million Ipod-friendly MP3
    > | files alongside the current roster 1.7-million Windows-hamstringed
    > | tunes.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...ree-wma-chains
    >

    > Finally. Choice.

    Cool. I've been with Tesco (groceries) online for years, so I won't even
    have to sign up, I can just start downloading.

    I'm still waiting for Amazon's UK MP3 service (slated for this year).

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    `----

    23:53:00 up 117 days, 20:28, 4 users, load average: 0.98, 0.53, 0.19

  7. Re: [News] Tesco Stops Defective-by-Design-only, Windows-only Downloads

    ____/ Homer on Wednesday 16 April 2008 23:53 : \____

    >> Tesco breaks free of WMA chains
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | TESCO DIGITAL will soon be launched in the UK. The partly DRM-free
    >> | music download concern will now offer 1.6 million Ipod-friendly MP3
    >> | files alongside the current roster 1.7-million Windows-hamstringed
    >> | tunes.
    >> `----

    http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...ree-wma-chains

    >> Finally. Choice.

    > Cool. I've been with Tesco (groceries) online for years, so I won't even
    > have to sign up, I can just start downloading.
    >
    > I'm still waiting for Amazon's UK MP3 service (slated for this year).

    Somebody ought to set up an Ogg service too. There's a niche market to address
    there. To tell you the truth, I think streaming is the future. Even for mobile
    devices, the prospects of meshes with Google and Android involved are not so
    far fetched.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Useless fact: Digits 772-777 of Pi are 999999
    Cpu(s): 24.5%us, 3.7%sy, 1.0%ni, 66.3%id, 4.2%wa, 0.3%hi, 0.1%si, 0.0%st

  8. Re: [News] Tesco Stops Defective-by-Design-only, Windows-only Downloads

    On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 01:19:39 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > ____/ Homer on Wednesday 16 April 2008 23:53 : \____

    >>> Tesco breaks free of WMA chains
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> `----
    >>>

    > http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...ree-wma-chains
    >>>

    >>> Finally. Choice.

    >> Cool. I've been with Tesco (groceries) online for years, so I won't even
    >> have to sign up, I can just start downloading.
    >>
    >> I'm still waiting for Amazon's UK MP3 service (slated for this year).

    > Somebody ought to set up an Ogg service too.

    Sure...They can download their stuff to themselves......
    So what are they going to play it on?

    The 1 out of 10,000 devices that support Ogg?

    Why not set up a Linux Sony Beta Video service?
    Surely there are a couple of time warp people still using Sony Beta format?

    Sounds like the perfect job for Linux!!!!!

    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  9. Re: [News] Tesco Stops Defective-by-Design-only, Windows-only Downloads

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > ____/ Homer on Wednesday 16 April 2008 23:53 : \____

    >>> Tesco breaks free of WMA chains
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> `----
    >>>

    > http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...ree-wma-chains
    >>>

    >>> Finally. Choice.

    >> Cool. I've been with Tesco (groceries) online for years, so I won't even
    >> have to sign up, I can just start downloading.
    >>
    >> I'm still waiting for Amazon's UK MP3 service (slated for this year).

    > Somebody ought to set up an Ogg service too. There's a niche market to address
    > there. To tell you the truth, I think streaming is the future. Even for mobile
    > devices, the prospects of meshes with Google and Android involved are not so
    > far fetched.

    I used the Waitrose/Occado online service for years, excellent website,
    easy to use and they were very reliable. Until the final two deliveries,
    where the driver lied about where he was, turned up an hour early and
    had dropped some food.

    Used Sainsbury a couple of times, but now on riverford for organic
    vegetables, eggs and meat; wine warehouse for beer (2 cases usually come
    in at < 1 per pint, good beer, too) and sainsbury for other stuff.
    I'm looking at sourcing fish & cheese away from supermarkets, too,
    as I seem to get both a better price and a better quality that way.

    In any case, none of the above do MP3s that I'm aware of...

  10. Re: [News] Tesco Stops Defective-by-Design-only, Windows-only Downloads

    ____/ Mark Kent on Thursday 17 April 2008 14:21 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >> ____/ Homer on Wednesday 16 April 2008 23:53 : \____

    http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...ree-wma-chains

    >>> Cool. I've been with Tesco (groceries) online for years, so I won't even
    >>> have to sign up, I can just start downloading.
    >>>
    >>> I'm still waiting for Amazon's UK MP3 service (slated for this year).

    >> Somebody ought to set up an Ogg service too. There's a niche market to
    >> address there. To tell you the truth, I think streaming is the future. Even
    >> for mobile devices, the prospects of meshes with Google and Android involved
    >> are not so far fetched.
    >>

    > I used the Waitrose/Occado online service for years, excellent website,
    > easy to use and they were very reliable. Until the final two deliveries,
    > where the driver lied about where he was, turned up an hour early and
    > had dropped some food.
    >
    > Used Sainsbury a couple of times, but now on riverford for organic
    > vegetables, eggs and meat; wine warehouse for beer (2 cases usually come
    > in at < £1 per pint, good beer, too) and sainsbury for other stuff.
    > I'm looking at sourcing fish & cheese away from supermarkets, too,
    > as I seem to get both a better price and a better quality that way.
    >
    > In any case, none of the above do MP3s that I'm aware of...

    I've done that with Sainsbury's since 2003, but they only sell CDs. They are
    very reliable in general, overall.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    ..oʍʇ sɐ buıɥʇ ɥɔns ou s,ǝɹǝɥʇ 'ɹǝpuǝq 'ʎɹɹoʍ ʇ,uop :ʎɹɟ
    ..oʍʇ ɐ ʍɐs ı ʇɥbnoɥʇ ı puɐ ...ǝɹǝɥʍʎɹǝʌǝ soɹǝz puɐ sǝuo .ɯɐǝɹp 1nɟʍɐ uɐ
    ʇɐɥʍ 'ɥɥɥɐ :ɹǝpuǝq

  11. Re: [News] Tesco Stops Defective-by-Design-only, Windows-only Downloads

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > ____/ Mark Kent on Thursday 17 April 2008 14:21 : \____
    >
    >> Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >>> ____/ Homer on Wednesday 16 April 2008 23:53 : \____

    > http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...ree-wma-chains

    >>> Somebody ought to set up an Ogg service too. There's a niche market to
    >>> address there. To tell you the truth, I think streaming is the future. Even
    >>> for mobile devices, the prospects of meshes with Google and Android involved
    >>> are not so far fetched.
    >>>

    >> I used the Waitrose/Occado online service for years, excellent website,
    >> easy to use and they were very reliable. Until the final two deliveries,
    >> where the driver lied about where he was, turned up an hour early and
    >> had dropped some food.
    >>
    >> Used Sainsbury a couple of times, but now on riverford for organic
    >> vegetables, eggs and meat; wine warehouse for beer (2 cases usually come
    >> in at < 1 per pint, good beer, too) and sainsbury for other stuff.
    >> I'm looking at sourcing fish & cheese away from supermarkets, too,
    >> as I seem to get both a better price and a better quality that way.
    >>
    >> In any case, none of the above do MP3s that I'm aware of...

    > I've done that with Sainsbury's since 2003, but they only sell CDs. They are
    > very reliable in general, overall.

    My personal view is that if you want an MP3, buying the CD and then
    ripping the MP3 is the best bet...

  12. Re: [News] Tesco Stops Defective-by-Design-only, Windows-only Downloads

    ____/ Mark Kent on Monday 21 April 2008 08:18 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >> ____/ Mark Kent on Thursday 17 April 2008 14:21 : \____
    >>
    >>> Roy Schestowitz espoused:

    http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...ree-wma-chains

    >>> I used the Waitrose/Occado online service for years, excellent website,
    >>> easy to use and they were very reliable. Until the final two deliveries,
    >>> where the driver lied about where he was, turned up an hour early and
    >>> had dropped some food.
    >>>
    >>> Used Sainsbury a couple of times, but now on riverford for organic
    >>> vegetables, eggs and meat; wine warehouse for beer (2 cases usually come
    >>> in at < £1 per pint, good beer, too) and sainsbury for other stuff.
    >>> I'm looking at sourcing fish & cheese away from supermarkets, too,
    >>> as I seem to get both a better price and a better quality that way.
    >>>
    >>> In any case, none of the above do MP3s that I'm aware of...

    >> I've done that with Sainsbury's since 2003, but they only sell CDs. They are
    >> very reliable in general, overall.
    >>

    > My personal view is that if you want an MP3, buying the CD and then
    > ripping the MP3 is the best bet...

    ....More expensive though, unless you want an entire album with tracks from the
    same artist/s (which nowadays means getting a 'single', maybe a couple, and
    some drumbeat 'space fillers').

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Microsof(fshore)t Window(ntime)s Vista(gnating)

  13. Re: [News] Tesco Stops Defective-by-Design-only, Windows-only Downloads

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > ____/ Mark Kent on Monday 21 April 2008 08:18 : \____
    >
    >> Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >>> ____/ Mark Kent on Thursday 17 April 2008 14:21 : \____

    > http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...ree-wma-chains

    >>> I've done that with Sainsbury's since 2003, but they only sell CDs. They are
    >>> very reliable in general, overall.
    >>>

    >> My personal view is that if you want an MP3, buying the CD and then
    >> ripping the MP3 is the best bet...

    > ...More expensive though, unless you want an entire album with tracks from the
    > same artist/s (which nowadays means getting a 'single', maybe a couple, and
    > some drumbeat 'space fillers').

    To be frank, something between little and nothing of the current "BPI"
    output interests me, but perhaps I'm not the target market...

  14. Re: [News] Tesco Stops Defective-by-Design-only, Windows-only Downloads

    On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 10:35:53 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > ____/ Mark Kent on Monday 21 April 2008 08:18 : \____
    >
    >> Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >>> ____/ Mark Kent on Thursday 17 April 2008 14:21 : \____

    > http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...ree-wma-chains

    >>> I've done that with Sainsbury's since 2003, but they only sell CDs. They are
    >>> very reliable in general, overall.
    >>>

    >> My personal view is that if you want an MP3, buying the CD and then
    >> ripping the MP3 is the best bet...

    > ...More expensive though, unless you want an entire album with tracks from the
    > same artist/s (which nowadays means getting a 'single', maybe a couple, and
    > some drumbeat 'space fillers').

    Get a job and then you won't have to worry about actually paying for the
    music you scarf....

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots: