[News] Benchmark: Vista and Office 2007 Extremely Fat, GNU/Linux Scares Microsoft - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Benchmark: Vista and Office 2007 Extremely Fat, GNU/Linux Scares Microsoft - Linux ; Fat, fatter, fattest: Microsoft’s kings of bloat ,----[ Overview ] | Our tests show that Windows Vista and Office 2007 not only smash Redmond’s | previous records for weight gain, but given the same hardware diet, run at | less ...

  1. [News] Benchmark: Vista and Office 2007 Extremely Fat, GNU/Linux Scares Microsoft

    Fat, fatter, fattest: Microsoft’s kings of bloat

    ,----[ Overview ]
    | Our tests show that Windows Vista and Office 2007 not only smash Redmond’s
    | previous records for weight gain, but given the same hardware diet, run at
    | less than half the speed of generation XP
    `----

    http://www.infoworld.com/article/08/...ormance_1.html

    Putting Windows On A Diet ... To Compete With Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | How scared is Microsoft of Linux? There's a hint or two of its fear in the
    | fact that MS is preparing a special slim-and-trim version of Windows XP,
    | within the next month or two, to run specifically on Asus's Eee PC. You'd
    | think maybe it could have done this slimming-down sooner -- something that
    | Linux already does without breaking a sweat.
    `----

    http://www.informationweek.com/blog/...g_windows.html

    Whatever happened to Vista? Microsoft uses that old XP as its
    baseline? "Development collapse", aka "reboot". Again.

    Related and recent:

    Feeling the heat at Microsoft

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | you who is Microsoft's biggest competitor now, who would it be?

    | to go with that.
    `----

    Microsoft's SEC:

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | A prominent example of open source software is the Linux operating system...
    | To the extent open source software gains increasing market acceptance, sales
    | of our products may decline, we may have to reduce the prices we charge for
    | our products, and revenue and operating margins may consequently decline.
    `----

    http://www. microsoft.com/msft/SEC/default.mspx

  2. Re: [News] Benchmark: Vista and Office 2007 Extremely Fat, GNU/Linux Scares Microsoft

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Feeling the heat at Microsoft
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >> A couple of years ago you reiterated that IBM was Microsoft's biggest
    >> competitor and you said not just on the business side, but overall.
    >> If I ask you who is Microsoft's biggest competitor now, who would it
    >> be?
    >>
    >> Ballmer: Open...Linux. I don't want to say open source. Linux,
    >> certainly have to go with that.

    > `----

    Roy gets his daily affirmation from Microsoft, and now he's content for a
    little while.

+ Reply to Thread