Equivalent operation in Linux? - Linux

This is a discussion on Equivalent operation in Linux? - Linux ; How do I get that Windows feature where I move the mouse and the whole OS locks up? Any ideas? I've been trying and the closest I can get is Firefox to stop responding. How exactly would one go about ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

  1. Equivalent operation in Linux?

    How do I get that Windows feature where I move the mouse and the whole
    OS locks up? Any ideas? I've been trying and the closest I can get is
    Firefox to stop responding. How exactly would one go about making
    everything crash by a small movement of the mouse?

  2. Re: Equivalent operation in Linux?

    On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 14:42:00 +0100, White Spirit wrote:

    > How do I get that Windows feature where I move the mouse and the whole
    > OS locks up? Any ideas? I've been trying and the closest I can get is
    > Firefox to stop responding. How exactly would one go about making
    > everything crash by a small movement of the mouse?

    Try Ubuntu....

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: Equivalent operation in Linux?

    White Spirit writes:

    > How do I get that Windows feature where I move the mouse and the whole
    > OS locks up? Any ideas? I've been trying and the closest I can get
    > is Firefox to stop responding. How exactly would one go about making
    > everything crash by a small movement of the mouse?

    I dont know. My Debian setup is very, very good and stable now sound
    works. X will still freeze once in a blue moon but I can live with that.

    Ask this guy:

    http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...esktop-365989/

  4. Re: Equivalent operation in Linux?

    White Spirit wrote:
    > How do I get that Windows feature where I move the mouse and the whole
    > OS locks up? Any ideas? I've been trying and the closest I can get
    > is Firefox to stop responding. How exactly would one go about making
    > everything crash by a small movement of the mouse?

    Probably you want to try the final release of Ubuntu Feisty or Gutsy:

    "I can wiggle the mouse around for a while then eventually it stops working
    too....I dual-boot to
    XP, XP never locks up."
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...freeze&page=13

    If you want everything BUT the mouse to be frozen, try Fedora 6:

    "...it just randomly freezes, I can move the mouse but I cant do anything
    else."

    http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...hlight=freezes

    If you don't want to go through the hassle of moving the mouse to lock up
    your Linux crapware, try Puppy Linux. It freezes when you look at it:

    "...sometimes the system freezes even though I didn't even touch the mouse
    or the keyboard."

    http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/vie...323145&t=27550

  5. Re: Equivalent operation in Linux?

    "DFS" writes:

    > White Spirit wrote:
    >> How do I get that Windows feature where I move the mouse and the whole
    >> OS locks up? Any ideas? I've been trying and the closest I can get
    >> is Firefox to stop responding. How exactly would one go about making
    >> everything crash by a small movement of the mouse?

    > Probably you want to try the final release of Ubuntu Feisty or Gutsy:
    >
    > "I can wiggle the mouse around for a while then eventually it stops working
    > too....I dual-boot to
    > XP, XP never locks up."
    > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...freeze&page=13
    >

    > If you want everything BUT the mouse to be frozen, try Fedora 6:
    >
    > "...it just randomly freezes, I can move the mouse but I cant do anything
    > else."
    >
    > http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...hlight=freezes
    >

    > If you don't want to go through the hassle of moving the mouse to lock up
    > your Linux crapware, try Puppy Linux. It freezes when you look at it:
    >
    > "...sometimes the system freezes even though I didn't even touch the mouse
    > or the keyboard."
    >
    > http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/vie...323145&t=27550

    LOL, you're just too bad Gangsta!

    The "advocates" will be going crazy. And they still don't get it - this
    is only for the COLA "advocates" where everything "just works" and
    "meets their needs".

    I wonder where Super Kelsey is on these forums helping to get people
    going and their system working reliably again?

  6. Re: Equivalent operation in Linux?

    On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 16:09:04 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > "DFS" writes:
    >
    >> White Spirit wrote:
    >>> How do I get that Windows feature where I move the mouse and the whole
    >>> OS locks up? Any ideas? I've been trying and the closest I can get
    >>> is Firefox to stop responding. How exactly would one go about making
    >>> everything crash by a small movement of the mouse?

    >> Probably you want to try the final release of Ubuntu Feisty or Gutsy:
    >>
    >> "I can wiggle the mouse around for a while then eventually it stops working
    >> too....I dual-boot to
    >> XP, XP never locks up."
    >> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...freeze&page=13
    >>

    >> If you want everything BUT the mouse to be frozen, try Fedora 6:
    >>
    >> "...it just randomly freezes, I can move the mouse but I cant do anything
    >> else."
    >>
    >> http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...hlight=freezes
    >>

    >> If you don't want to go through the hassle of moving the mouse to lock up
    >> your Linux crapware, try Puppy Linux. It freezes when you look at it:
    >>
    >> "...sometimes the system freezes even though I didn't even touch the mouse
    >> or the keyboard."
    >>
    >> http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/vie...323145&t=27550
    >>

    > LOL, you're just too bad Gangsta!
    >
    > The "advocates" will be going crazy. And they still don't get it - this
    > is only for the COLA "advocates" where everything "just works" and
    > "meets their needs".
    >
    > I wonder where Super Kelsey is on these forums helping to get people
    > going and their system working reliably again?

    Kelsey should be kept as far away from computers as possible.
    She could screw up a solid iron cannon ball.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  7. Re: Equivalent operation in Linux?

    Hadron wrote:
    > "DFS" writes:
    >
    >> White Spirit wrote:
    >>> How do I get that Windows feature where I move the mouse and the
    >>> whole OS locks up? Any ideas? I've been trying and the closest I
    >>> can get is Firefox to stop responding. How exactly would one go
    >>> about making everything crash by a small movement of the mouse?

    >> Probably you want to try the final release of Ubuntu Feisty or Gutsy:
    >>
    >> "I can wiggle the mouse around for a while then eventually it stops
    >> working too....I dual-boot to
    >> XP, XP never locks up."
    >> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...freeze&page=13
    >>

    >> If you want everything BUT the mouse to be frozen, try Fedora 6:
    >>
    >> "...it just randomly freezes, I can move the mouse but I cant do
    >> anything else."
    >>
    >> http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...hlight=freezes
    >>

    >> If you don't want to go through the hassle of moving the mouse to
    >> lock up your Linux crapware, try Puppy Linux. It freezes when you
    >> look at it:
    >>
    >> "...sometimes the system freezes even though I didn't even touch the
    >> mouse or the keyboard."
    >>
    >> http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/vie...323145&t=27550
    >>

    > LOL, you're just too bad Gangsta!

    heh...

    > The "advocates" will be going crazy. And they still don't get it -
    > this is only for the COLA "advocates" where everything "just works"
    > and "meets their needs".
    >
    > I wonder where Super Kelsey is on these forums helping to get people
    > going and their system working reliably again?

    He's spending weeks futzing with MythTV. It was worth it - he saved $150
    and now he can record all the Matlock reruns with the click of a button.

  8. Re: Equivalent operation in Linux?

    Fred Williams writes:

    > On Tuesday 15 April 2008 09:44, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 14:42:00 +0100, White Spirit wrote:
    >>
    >>> How do I get that Windows feature where I move the mouse and the
    >>> whole
    >>> OS locks up? Any ideas? I've been trying and the closest I can get
    >>> is
    >>> Firefox to stop responding. How exactly would one go about making
    >>> everything crash by a small movement of the mouse?

    >> Try Ubuntu....
    >>

    > No that won't work. Ubuntu is too solid. I run Ubuntu and I've never
    > seen that. The Linux Kernel won't let it happen.

    You must have a special one then.

    http://tinyurl.com/4wryxx

    Why tell lies? There are problems with all SW. Linux is no
    exception. People don't make up these issues you know.

    ,----
    `----

    --
    If you are going to run a rinky-dink distro made by a couple of
    volunteers, why not run a rinky-dink distro made by a lot of volunteers?

  9. Re: Equivalent operation in Linux?

    On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 10:20:38 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > Hadron wrote:

    >>> Probably you want to try the final release of Ubuntu Feisty or Gutsy:
    >>>
    >>> "I can wiggle the mouse around for a while then eventually it stops
    >>> working too....I dual-boot to
    >>> XP, XP never locks up."
    >>> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...freeze&page=13
    >>>

    >>> If you want everything BUT the mouse to be frozen, try Fedora 6:
    >>>
    >>> "...it just randomly freezes, I can move the mouse but I cant do
    >>> anything else."
    >>>
    >>> http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...hlight=freezes
    >>>

    >>> If you don't want to go through the hassle of moving the mouse to
    >>> lock up your Linux crapware, try Puppy Linux. It freezes when you
    >>> look at it:
    >>>
    >>> "...sometimes the system freezes even though I didn't even touch the
    >>> mouse or the keyboard."
    >>>
    >>> http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/vie...323145&t=27550
    >>>

    >> LOL, you're just too bad Gangsta!

    > heh...
    >

    >> The "advocates" will be going crazy. And they still don't get it -
    >> this is only for the COLA "advocates" where everything "just works"
    >> and "meets their needs".
    >>
    >> I wonder where Super Kelsey is on these forums helping to get people
    >> going and their system working reliably again?

    > He's spending weeks futzing with MythTV. It was worth it - he saved $150
    > and now he can record all the Matlock reruns with the click of a button.

    Hahaha!
    Yea, every time I see MythTV brought up I laugh because that has to be the
    most convoluted, non intuitive application the Linux world has created to
    date.
    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  10. Re: Equivalent operation in Linux?

    On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 18:06:57 +0200, Hadron wrote:

> [...]

    >| feisty fawn freeze ! driving me insane - Page 3 - Ubuntu Forums
    >| Page 3-feisty fawn freeze ! driving me insane General Help.
    >| sudan.ubuntuforums.com/showthread.php?t=412125&page=3 - Similar pages - Note this
    >| More results from sudan.ubuntuforums.com
    >| Beryl Freezes When ... - Page 2 - Ubuntu Forums - SWiK
    >| 18 Aug 2007 ... Recent Edits for Beryl Recent Edits for del.icio.us tag beryl Recent Edits for Beryl Freezes When ... - Page 2 - Ubuntu Forums ...
    >| swik.net/Beryl/del.icio.us+tag+beryl/Beryl+Freezes+When+...+-+Page+2+-+Ubuntu+Forums/bjfx8 - 22k - Cached - Similar pages - Note this
    >| Gutsy will just freeze / lock up / crash - Ubuntu Forums
    >| The machine will lock up after randomly. you can use it for an hour then it will freeze or for 5 mins if that and it will. Desktop effects on or off makes ...
    >| ph.ubuntuforums.com/showthread.php?t=587905 - Similar pages - Note this

    Because it's the Linux advocate way.

    That's why some people call it LIE-nix.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  11. Re: Equivalent operation in Linux?

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, White Spirit

    wrote
    on Tue, 15 Apr 2008 14:42:00 +0100
    :
    > How do I get that Windows feature where I move the mouse and the whole
    > OS locks up? Any ideas? I've been trying and the closest I can get is
    > Firefox to stop responding. How exactly would one go about making
    > everything crash by a small movement of the mouse?

    There is a bug somewhere in either X or my X drivers where
    X will lock up if I do an ssh -CXY and then invoke Eclipse
    on a remote node. I can't say I can reliably reproduce
    this issue and of course an X restart, while disruptive
    (I have to log in again) will work around it. (I've seen
    this both on nvidia and on i810/i915, so it's probably not
    a driver bug. I'm using Xorg 1.3 which I need to upgrade
    at some point; it's a little old. Not sure what other
    issues are involved, such as X extensions and OpenGL.)

    Of course that's not quite an OS crash; that's more of
    a GUI and/or X crash. The OS in this case runs happily
    underneath, not even noticing really (except that a few
    sockets and descriptors close, as X goes down).

    For a *really* spectacular (if very old) crash, try
    omitting a WINAPI or _stdcall keyword on a dialog callback
    in Windows95, then watch the graphics scroll up the screen
    as the OS for some stupid reason decides to print a bunch
    of spaces as it crashes. Of course that's a bad (and now
    very dated) example.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Windows Vista. It'll Fix Everything(tm).

  12. Re: Equivalent operation in Linux?

    White Spirit wrote:

    > How do I get that Windows feature where I move the mouse and the whole
    > OS locks up? Any ideas? I've been trying and the closest I can get is
    > Firefox to stop responding. How exactly would one go about making
    > everything crash by a small movement of the mouse?

    Unfortunately GNU/Linux doesn't have such "feature", you could try WinE,
    or ask the experts over in the Windows NG's.

    Cheers

    --
    |_|0|_| Marti T. van Lin
    |_|_|0| http://ml2mst.googlepages.com
    |0|0|0| http://osgeex.blogspot.com

  13. Re: Equivalent operation in Linux?

    >Documented liar Hadron Quack puked:
    >>
    >> Why tell lies?

    Good question, Quack. Why do you lie so shamelessly?

  14. Re: Equivalent operation in Linux?

    White Spirit wrote:

    > How do I get that Windows feature where I move the mouse and the whole
    > OS locks up? *Any ideas? *I've been trying and the closest I can get is
    > Firefox to stop responding. *How exactly would one go about making
    > everything crash by a small movement of the mouse?

    Dual-boot Vista ME?

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  15. Re: Equivalent operation in Linux?

    ml2mst wrote:
    > White Spirit wrote:
    >
    >> How do I get that Windows feature where I move the mouse and the
    >> whole OS locks up? Any ideas? I've been trying and the closest I
    >> can get is Firefox to stop responding. How exactly would one go
    >> about making everything crash by a small movement of the mouse?

    > Unfortunately GNU/Linux doesn't have such "feature",

    huh? You don't know your slopware.

  16. Re: Equivalent operation in Linux?

    On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 21:04:49 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > ml2mst wrote:
    >> White Spirit wrote:
    >>
    >>> How do I get that Windows feature where I move the mouse and the whole
    >>> OS locks up? Any ideas? I've been trying and the closest I can get
    >>> is Firefox to stop responding. How exactly would one go about making
    >>> everything crash by a small movement of the mouse?

    >> Unfortunately GNU/Linux doesn't have such "feature",

    > huh? You don't know your slopware.

    Talking about Windows again?

    --
    Rick

  17. Re: Equivalent operation in Linux?

    On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 20:37:13 -0500, Rick wrote:

    > On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 21:04:49 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >
    >> ml2mst wrote:

    >>> Unfortunately GNU/Linux doesn't have such "feature",

    >> huh? You don't know your slopware.

    > Talking about Windows again?

    But of course. He just happens to be in the wrong group, is all.

    --
    Googlegroups: Because of the extreme spam emanating from googlegroups,
    I (like many others) no longer see any articles originating from

  18. Re: Equivalent operation in Linux?

    On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 18:06:57 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > Why tell lies? There are problems with all SW. Linux is no exception.
    > People don't make up these issues you know.

    Of course no software is perfect but the nice thing about Linux is rarely
    will a crash take down the whole system which can't be said for Windows.

  19. Re: Equivalent operation in Linux?

    On 2008-04-18, Frank Stallone wrote:
    > On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 18:06:57 +0200, Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Why tell lies? There are problems with all SW. Linux is no exception.
    >> People don't make up these issues you know.
    >>

    > Of course no software is perfect but the nice thing about Linux is rarely
    > will a crash take down the whole system which can't be said for Windows.

    Based on your statement, the last windows version you could have
    possibly used was Windows ME. Applications on NT based systems, almost
    never crash the entire system. Most crashes on Windows now are issues
    with device drivers.

    --
    Tom Shelton

  20. Re: Equivalent operation in Linux?

    On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 15:13:17 -0500, Tom Shelton wrote:

    > On 2008-04-18, Frank Stallone wrote:
    >> On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 18:06:57 +0200, Hadron wrote:
    >>
    >>> Why tell lies? There are problems with all SW. Linux is no exception.
    >>> People don't make up these issues you know.
    >>>

    >> Of course no software is perfect but the nice thing about Linux is rarely
    >> will a crash take down the whole system which can't be said for Windows.

    > Based on your statement, the last windows version you could have
    > possibly used was Windows ME. Applications on NT based systems, almost
    > never crash the entire system. Most crashes on Windows now are issues
    > with device drivers.

    Additionally most desktop users are using GUI based apps and while the
    Linux kernel rarely has a problem X quite frequently does have problems.
    So when you have to ctrl-alt-bspace you have effectively killed the system
    for the user.