[News] Most Popular Computers Are Windows-Free, Businesses Migrate to *NIX with Wine - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Most Popular Computers Are Windows-Free, Businesses Migrate to *NIX with Wine - Linux ; Windows is on its Last Legs!? ,----[ Quote ] | Sound insane to you? I invite you to check Amazon’s Bestsellers: The most | popular items in Computers and PC Hardware list. As I write this, on the | evening ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 72

  1. [News] Most Popular Computers Are Windows-Free, Businesses Migrate to *NIX with Wine

    Windows is on its Last Legs!?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Sound insane to you? I invite you to check Amazon’s Bestsellers: The most
    | popular items in Computers and PC Hardware list. As I write this, on the
    | evening of April 13th, eight of the top 25 sellers are Linux-powered Asus Eee
    | UMPCs (Ultra Mobile PCs) and there’s also the Linux-fueled Nokia N800 tablet
    | for a total of nine Linux systems. There are also seven Mac models on the
    | list, topped by the Apple MacBook MB403LL/A 13.3-inch; Laptop. Finally,
    | beneath almost all the Linux PCs and all of the Macs, you’ll find four, count
    | em four, Vista-powered laptops.
    `----

    http://practical-tech.com/operating-...its-last-legs/

    The making of Wine (how to make Windows apps merrier with Linux)

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Flash forward to today. It's been the better part of a decade and Microsoft
    | has not been toppled by anyone's reckoning. However it did release Vista -
    | perhaps the most hated Windows operating system of all time (though it's hard
    | to beat Windows ME on that count). Enterprises badly want alternatives to
    | Windows. Desktop Linux has come a long way since 1999, too. and (who knew?)
    | the Mac has become the ultra chic, must-have PC. The enterprise has its
    | alternatives - if it can only get those mission critical Windows apps to work
    | flawlessly. Wine, in its commercial form, has been doing so for years.
    |
    | So, in 2008, the 1.0 version will hit the streets and the timing could not be
    | more perfect. White admits that not every Windows application will work
    | flawlessly on Wine, but many a critical one for the enterprise has been
    | specifically optimized.
    `----

    http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/26915

    The migrations to Linux are very real (albeit quiet). Last week it was Ecuador,
    Venezuela and even the EU parliament said it was testing Linux desktops with
    some considering a Microsoft embargo. Links below.

    Yesterday:

    Argentina Mulls Open-Source Move

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Argentina may become the first country in the world to require all government
    | offices to use open-source software, pending the outcome of a bill recently
    | introduced in the nation's congress. *
    `----

    http://argentinadiscovery.nireblog.c...en-source-move

    Last week:

    Ecuador migrates to Free Software and Open Standards

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | On April 10, 2008, Ecuadorean President Rafael Correa Delgado signed a decree
    | ordering that the software used by public administrations in the country be
    | free software (and implicitly based on open standards). Fuller story in
    | Spanish... *
    `----

    http://www.digistan.org/forum/t-5290...open-standards

    Venezuela and the Hackers’ Revolution

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The Third International Forum on Free Knowledge was recently held in
    | Maracaibo, Venezuela, bringing together many people interested in the
    | development of free software worldwide. One reason Venezuela chose to host
    | this event is that, in January 2006, their new free software law came into
    | effect, which mandates that all government agencies migrate to free software
    | over a two-year period. * *
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | The Venezuelan revolution is perhaps the first revolution in history saved by
    | computer hackers and is one of the reasons the government is so very strong
    | on promoting the use of free software, particularly in public administration.
    | The Venezuelan government wishes never again to have vital infrastructure
    | held hostage or sabotaged by agents of foreign nations. * *
    `----

    http://www.dailyradical.org/knowledg...ers_Revolution

    EU: Europarlement testing Ubuntu, OpenOffice and Firefox

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The European Parliament's IT department is testing the use of GNU/Linux
    | distribution Ubuntu, OpenOffice, Firefox and other Open Source applications,
    | the British MEP James Nicholson explained last week in a letter to Italian
    | MEP Marco Cappato. *
    `----

    http://ec.europa.eu/idabc/en/document/7565

    Is Microsoft Now Banned from EU Contracts?

    http://www.computerworlduk.com/toolb...=697&blogid=14

    Euro MP thinks Microsoft should be banned from government contracts

    http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...arliament-asks

    Green MEP says Microsoft should be excluded from EU contract awarding procedure

  2. Re: [News] Most Popular Computers Are Windows-Free, Businesses Migrate to *NIX with Wine

    On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 13:44:10 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Windows is on its Last Legs!?

    At 95+ percent of the market I don't think so.

    Now Linux at 0.6 percent of desktop market share even after 10+ years is
    pretty much on life support at this point.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: [News] Most Popular Computers Are Windows-Free, Businesses Migrate to *NIX with Wine

    Moshe Goldfarb wrote in

    > On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 13:44:10 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> Windows is on its Last Legs!?

    > At 95+ percent of the market I don't think so.

    91% now. It was 96% 3 years ago.

  4. Re: [News] Most Popular Computers Are Windows-Free, Businesses Migrate to *NIX with Wine

    On 2008-04-15, DanS wrote:
    > Moshe Goldfarb wrote in
    >
    >> On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 13:44:10 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>
    >>> Windows is on its Last Legs!?

    >> At 95+ percent of the market I don't think so.

    > 91% now. It was 96% 3 years ago.

    And, keep in mind, Apple's OS is FreeBSD, with their custom GUI, so
    the Unix desktop market share is now 9%.

  5. Re: [News] Most Popular Computers Are Windows-Free, Businesses Migrate to *NIX with Wine

    Ignoramus15568 writes:

    > On 2008-04-15, DanS wrote:
    >> Moshe Goldfarb wrote in

    >>> At 95+ percent of the market I don't think so.

    >> 91% now. It was 96% 3 years ago.
    >>

    > And, keep in mind, Apple's OS is FreeBSD, with their custom GUI, so
    > the Unix desktop market share is now 9%.

    Huh? Linux is not Unix or are you saying the Linux share is too
    insignificant to mention?

  6. Re: [News] Most Popular Computers Are Windows-Free, Businesses Migrate to *NIX with Wine

    "DanS" schreef in bericht
    news:Xns9A8180438539thisnthatadelphianet@66.250.14 6.128...
    > Moshe Goldfarb wrote in
    >
    >> On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 13:44:10 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>
    >>> Windows is on its Last Legs!?

    >> At 95+ percent of the market I don't think so.

    > 91% now. It was 96% 3 years ago.

    Yes, Apple Mac got better marketshare, Linux steady on 0.61% (all distro's)
    http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.aspx?qprid=10
    --
    PLEASE VISIT OUR HALL OF LINUX IDIOTS:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  7. Re: [News] Most Popular Computers Are Windows-Free, Businesses Migrate to *NIX with Wine

    On 2008-04-15, Hadron wrote:
    > Ignoramus15568 writes:
    >
    >> On 2008-04-15, DanS wrote:
    >>> Moshe Goldfarb wrote in

    >>> 91% now. It was 96% 3 years ago.
    >>>

    >> And, keep in mind, Apple's OS is FreeBSD, with their custom GUI, so
    >> the Unix desktop market share is now 9%.

    > Huh? Linux is not Unix or are you saying the Linux share is too
    > insignificant to mention?

    I think that both Linux and Apple are Unix. That's my opinion.

  8. Re: [News] Most Popular Computers Are Windows-Free, Businesses Migrate to *NIX with Wine

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Ignoramus15568

    wrote
    on Tue, 15 Apr 2008 12:52:58 -0500
    :
    > On 2008-04-15, Hadron wrote:
    >> Ignoramus15568 writes:

    >>> And, keep in mind, Apple's OS is FreeBSD, with their custom GUI, so
    >>> the Unix desktop market share is now 9%.

    >> Huh? Linux is not Unix or are you saying the Linux share is too
    >> insignificant to mention?

    > I think that both Linux and Apple are Unix. That's my opinion.

    AFAIK, MacOSX is UNIX(tm). Linux is not. Both are a
    relatively minor (though not insignificant) segment of
    the desktop marketplace.

    Of course Vista is giving users their more than fair share
    of headaches; we'll see what happens.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Windows Vista. It'll Fix Everything(tm).

  9. Re: [News] Most Popular Computers Are Windows-Free, Businesses Migrate to *NIX with Wine

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Clogwog

    wrote
    on Tue, 15 Apr 2008 19:25:21 +0200
    <20080415172608.57FEE1C00093@mwinf6202.orange.nl>:
    > "DanS" schreef in bericht
    > news:Xns9A8180438539thisnthatadelphianet@66.250.14 6.128...
    >> Moshe Goldfarb wrote in

    >>> At 95+ percent of the market I don't think so.

    >> 91% now. It was 96% 3 years ago.
    >>

    > Yes, Apple Mac got better marketshare, Linux steady on 0.61% (all distro's)
    > http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.aspx?qprid=10

    Wait, Linux used to be 0.25%, according to our most
    reliable Wintrools^H^H^H^H^H^Hdows reporters.

    What happened? Did someone miscount?

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Windows Vista. It'll Fix Everything(tm).

  10. Re: [News] Most Popular Computers Are Windows-Free, Businesses Migrate to *NIX with Wine

    "The Ghost In The Machine" schreef in
    bericht newsj7fd5-iuu.ln1@sirius.tg00suus7038.net...
    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Clogwog
    >
    > wrote
    > on Tue, 15 Apr 2008 19:25:21 +0200
    > <20080415172608.57FEE1C00093@mwinf6202.orange.nl>:
    >> "DanS" schreef in bericht
    >> news:Xns9A8180438539thisnthatadelphianet@66.250.14 6.128...
    >>> Moshe Goldfarb wrote in

    >>> 91% now. It was 96% 3 years ago.
    >>>

    >> Yes, Apple Mac got better marketshare, Linux steady on 0.61% (all
    >> distro's)
    >> http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.aspx?qprid=10

    > Wait, Linux used to be 0.25%, according to our most
    > reliable Wintrools^H^H^H^H^H^Hdows reporters.
    >
    > What happened? Did someone miscount?

    No miscount sir!, Linux grew from about 0.25 to 0.61% in 5 years, but the
    number of distro's supassed it's users, so it grew!
    http://www.bbspot.com/Images/News_Fe...inux_chart.gif
    --
    PLEASE VISIT OUR HALL OF LINUX IDIOTS:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  11. Re: [News] Most Popular Computers Are Windows-Free, Businesses Migrate to *NIX with Wine

    In article ,
    Fred Williams wrote:
    > something like that. I'm not aware of Apple being Unix related, but
    > I'm willing to be corrected if I'm wrong.

    Here ya go:

    --
    --Tim Smith

  12. Re: [News] Most Popular Computers Are Windows-Free, Businesses Migrate to *NIX with Wine

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Fred Williams

    wrote
    on Tue, 15 Apr 2008 14:26:24 -0400
    :
    > On Tuesday 15 April 2008 13:52, Ignoramus15568 wrote:

    >>> Huh? Linux is not Unix or are you saying the Linux share is too
    >>> insignificant to mention?

    >> I think that both Linux and Apple are Unix. That's my opinion.
    >>

    > Linux is definitely an offshoot of Unix, last I heard they hadn't quite
    > matched the specifications in the technical details and they weren't
    > about to because it would downgrade Linux performance or features or
    > something like that. I'm not aware of Apple being Unix related, but
    > I'm willing to be corrected if I'm wrong.

    At one point someone mentioned a Mach kernel.

    http://www.apple.com/macosx/technology/unix.html

    suggests that Leopard is in fact a registered UNIX(tm)
    product, conforming to SUSv3 (?) and POSIX 1003.1 specs.
    (It also suggests a fair number of extensions, such as
    DTrace, Kerberized NFS, and self-tuning TCP.)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Linux. Because life's too short for a buggy OS.

  13. Re: [News] Most Popular Computers Are Windows-Free, Businesses Migrate to *NIX with Wine

    The Ghost In The Machine wrote in
    newsj7fd5-iuu.ln1@sirius.tg00suus7038.net:

    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Clogwog
    >
    > wrote
    > on Tue, 15 Apr 2008 19:25:21 +0200
    > <20080415172608.57FEE1C00093@mwinf6202.orange.nl>:
    >> "DanS" schreef in bericht
    >> news:Xns9A8180438539thisnthatadelphianet@66.250.14 6.128...
    >>> Moshe Goldfarb wrote in

    >>> 91% now. It was 96% 3 years ago.
    >>>

    >> Yes, Apple Mac got better marketshare, Linux steady on 0.61% (all
    >> distro's) http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.aspx?qprid=10

    > Wait, Linux used to be 0.25%, according to our most
    > reliable Wintrools^H^H^H^H^H^Hdows reporters.
    >
    > What happened? Did someone miscount?

    Yes....er, no....er, Maybe. How can you tell ? What can be deemed as
    accurate ?

    What I pointed out from the hitslink webpage though, is that a 3 year
    trend shows MS OS's dropping 4.5%, from 96'ish% and Linux use doubling
    from .31 to .61.

  14. Re: [News] Most Popular Computers Are Windows-Free, Businesses Migrate to *NIX with Wine

    Moshe Goldfarb wrote in

    > On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 13:44:10 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> Windows is on its Last Legs!?

    > At 95+ percent of the market I don't think so.
    >
    > Now Linux at 0.6 percent of desktop market share even after 10+ years is
    > pretty much on life support at this point.

    Using your sources....Linux was @ .31% 3 years ago.

    Now at .61%

    Sounds like Linux use is increasing, not on life support.

    Unlike MS OS's use, which has dropped by 4.5%.

  15. Re: [News] Most Popular Computers Are Windows-Free, Businesses Migrate to *NIX with Wine

    DanS wrote:
    > Moshe Goldfarb wrote in
    >
    >> On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 13:44:10 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>
    >>> Windows is on its Last Legs!?

    >> At 95+ percent of the market I don't think so.

    > 91% now. It was 96% 3 years ago.

    The fact that it ever got to 96% in the first place is quite amazing.

  16. Re: [News] Most Popular Computers Are Windows-Free, Businesses Migrateto *NIX with Wine

    DanS wrote:
    > Moshe Goldfarb wrote in
    >
    >> On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 13:44:10 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>
    >>> Windows is on its Last Legs!?

    >> At 95+ percent of the market I don't think so.

    > 91% now. It was 96% 3 years ago.

    Can someone define 'Market'?? here. I suspect it is restricted to the
    USA and Europe. If you include China, South America and Africa I expect
    the M$ market share is less than 50%.

    Cheers

    IAn

  17. Re: [News] Most Popular Computers Are Windows-Free, Businesses Migrate to *NIX with Wine

    Fred Williams writes:

    > On Tuesday 15 April 2008 13:52, Ignoramus15568 wrote:

    >>> Huh? Linux is not Unix or are you saying the Linux share is too
    >>> insignificant to mention?

    >> I think that both Linux and Apple are Unix. That's my opinion.
    >>

    > Linux is definitely an offshoot of Unix, last I heard they hadn't quite
    > matched the specifications in the technical details and they weren't
    > about to because it would downgrade Linux performance or features or
    > something like that. I'm not aware of Apple being Unix related, but
    > I'm willing to be corrected if I'm wrong.

    LOL.

    The cluelessness on everything makes me laugh!

  18. Re: [News] Most Popular Computers Are Windows-Free, Businesses Migrate to *NIX with Wine

    DanS writes:

    > Moshe Goldfarb wrote in
    >
    >> On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 13:44:10 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>
    >>> Windows is on its Last Legs!?

    >> At 95+ percent of the market I don't think so.
    >>
    >> Now Linux at 0.6 percent of desktop market share even after 10+ years is
    >> pretty much on life support at this point.

    > Using your sources....Linux was @ .31% 3 years ago.
    >
    > Now at .61%
    >
    > Sounds like Linux use is increasing, not on life support.
    >
    > Unlike MS OS's use, which has dropped by 4.5%.

    Are you serious? You see 0.3 to 0.6 as a serious threat to a company who
    has more than 90% of the market as a threat?

    FFS. Get real.

  19. Re: [News] Most Popular Computers Are Windows-Free, Businesses Migrate to *NIX with Wine

    Ian Thompson-Bell writes:

    > DanS wrote:
    >> Moshe Goldfarb wrote in

    >>> At 95+ percent of the market I don't think so.

    >> 91% now. It was 96% 3 years ago.
    >>

    > Can someone define 'Market'?? here. I suspect it is restricted to the
    > USA and Europe. If you include China, South America and Africa I
    > expect the M$ market share is less than 50%.
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > IAn

    Well, IAn, yre you now trying to tell us that non MS OSen have about
    half of the world's market?

    Please explain this magical math you speak of.

  20. Re: [News] Most Popular Computers Are Windows-Free, Businesses Migrate to *NIX with Wine

    * Ian Thompson-Bell peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > DanS wrote:
    >> Moshe Goldfarb wrote in

    >>> At 95+ percent of the market I don't think so.

    >> 91% now. It was 96% 3 years ago.

    > Can someone define 'Market'?? here. I suspect it is restricted to the
    > USA and Europe. If you include China, South America and Africa I expect
    > the M$ market share is less than 50%.

    Well then, Microsoft will define "piracy" as a market!

    --
    The next generation of interesting software will be done on the Macintosh,
    not the IBM PC.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast