[News] Most Popular Computers Are Windows-Free, Businesses Migrate to *NIX with Wine - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Most Popular Computers Are Windows-Free, Businesses Migrate to *NIX with Wine - Linux ; Ian Thompson-Bell wrote in news:fu5n0f$1l1j$1@energise.enta.net: >> Who knows where, geographically speaking. When all they are doing is >> tracking web site browsing statistics, I don't think that information >> is readily available. > > So basically to say M$ has ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 72

  1. Re: [News] Most Popular Computers Are Windows-Free, Businesses Migrate to *NIX with Wine

    Ian Thompson-Bell wrote in

    >> Who knows where, geographically speaking. When all they are doing is
    >> tracking web site browsing statistics, I don't think that information
    >> is readily available.

    > So basically to say M$ has 90+% of the OS market is simply nonsense.

    I wouldn't say that. I believe it's 90+%....but dropping every year.

  2. Re: [News] Most Popular Computers Are Windows-Free, Businesses Migrate to *NIX with Wine

    Hadron wrote in news:fu5e6d$bhq$2
    @registered.motzarella.org:

    >>> He should be in marketing....
    >>> Something like "Linux usage doubles in 10 years"

    >> Doubled in less than 3 years dipsh*t.
    >>
    >> Learn to read AND comprehend at the same time.

    > Or gained another 100,000 users. Nice.
    >
    > But suddenly when you can attach "doubled" the numbers are valid?
    >
    > LOL. Only in COLA,

    Again...I'm not reading these in COLA...

    But...let's look at the math.

    With the 'claimed' 1 billion PC's in use...

    With Linux at .6%:
    ..6 % is ........ 6 million....so from 3 million to 6 million in 3 years,
    or a _gain_ of 3 million.

    And Windows....from 96% (960 million) to 91% (910 million) which is a
    _loss_ of 50 million users.

    It's pretty hard to argue with the math...but I'm sure you'll try.

  3. Re: [News] Most Popular Computers Are Windows-Free, Businesses Migrateto *NIX with Wine

    Hadron wrote:
    > Ian Thompson-Bell writes:
    >
    >> Hadron wrote:

    >>> You know full well that thats not true. That would only tell us the
    >>> number of MS OSen in use IF they were all legal. In addition it does not
    >>> tell us the number of non MS OSen. Unless one were to extend your "idea"
    >>> a bit and, gasp, count the number of all OSen which address an OS
    >>> agnostic web site like the BBC. Which says 0.8%. Admittedly UK market
    >>> there but a good indicator across Europe I feel.
    >>>
    >>> Frankly I dont really care what a Farmer in Kerala uses. He won't be
    >>> buying any of our services quite soon.

    >> So, tell me, where does this figure of over 90% of the OS market for
    >> M$ come from then?
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >>
    >> Ian

    > No, you're right. No one really uses MS in the States or in Europe.
    >
    > *boggle*

    So why not answer the question, where does this info come from?

    Cheers

    Ian

  4. Re: [News] Most Popular Computers Are Windows-Free, Businesses Migrateto *NIX with Wine

    DanS wrote:
    > Ian Thompson-Bell wrote in
    >
    >>> Who knows where, geographically speaking. When all they are doing is
    >>> tracking web site browsing statistics, I don't think that information
    >>> is readily available.

    >> So basically to say M$ has 90+% of the OS market is simply nonsense.

    > I wouldn't say that. I believe it's 90+%....but dropping every year.

    Well, the only source I can find for the 90% says it is from reported OS
    from browsers monitored at 'selected sites' so it is not really OS
    market share at all.

    Cheers

    Ian

  5. Re: [News] Most Popular Computers Are Windows-Free, Businesses Migrate to *NIX with Wine

    DanS writes:

    > Hadron wrote in news:fu5e6d$bhq$2
    > @registered.motzarella.org:

    >>> Doubled in less than 3 years dipsh*t.
    >>>
    >>> Learn to read AND comprehend at the same time.

    >> Or gained another 100,000 users. Nice.
    >>
    >> But suddenly when you can attach "doubled" the numbers are valid?
    >>
    >> LOL. Only in COLA,

    > Again...I'm not reading these in COLA...
    >
    > But...let's look at the math.
    >
    > With the 'claimed' 1 billion PC's in use...
    >
    > With Linux at .6%:
    > .6 % is ........ 6 million....so from 3 million to 6 million in 3 years,
    > or a _gain_ of 3 million.
    >
    > And Windows....from 96% (960 million) to 91% (910 million) which is a
    > _loss_ of 50 million users.
    >
    > It's pretty hard to argue with the math...but I'm sure you'll try.

    I will argue with the math. It's all approximate. And pretty much still
    confirms that Linux is going nowhere on the big stage still.

  6. Re: [News] Most Popular Computers Are Windows-Free, Businesses Migrate to *NIX with Wine

    Ian Thompson-Bell writes:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >> Ian Thompson-Bell writes:

    >>> So, tell me, where does this figure of over 90% of the OS market for
    >>> M$ come from then?
    >>>
    >>> Cheers
    >>>
    >>> Ian

    >> No, you're right. No one really uses MS in the States or in Europe.
    >>
    >> *boggle*

    > So why not answer the question, where does this info come from?

    See if you can guess. God knows its obvious enough. It's not some big
    conspiracy. Unless! Hey maybe everyone I know just has a "XP Screen
    Saver" on their Ubuntu desktop! Yes! That's it! Maybe everyone changes
    their browser tags to say "Windows" instead of Linux!!!! That must be
    it!

  7. Re: [News] Most Popular Computers Are Windows-Free, Businesses Migrateto *NIX with Wine

    DanS wrote:
    > Hadron wrote in news:fu5e6d$bhq$2
    > @registered.motzarella.org:

    >>>Doubled in less than 3 years dipsh*t.
    >>>
    >>>Learn to read AND comprehend at the same time.

    >>Or gained another 100,000 users. Nice.
    >>
    >>But suddenly when you can attach "doubled" the numbers are valid?
    >>
    >>LOL. Only in COLA,

    > Again...I'm not reading these in COLA...
    >
    > But...let's look at the math.
    >
    > With the 'claimed' 1 billion PC's in use...
    >
    > With Linux at .6%:
    > .6 % is ........ 6 million....so from 3 million to 6 million in 3 years,
    > or a _gain_ of 3 million.
    >
    > And Windows....from 96% (960 million) to 91% (910 million) which is a
    > _loss_ of 50 million users.
    >
    > It's pretty hard to argue with the math...but I'm sure you'll try.

    Not if the total number of users has increased, which it proly has. Your
    math mistake is keeping the number of computer user constant over the
    yrs which we all know is simply not true.
    90% could actually represent more total number of Windows users.
    Like you said, never argue with math...LOL!
    Frank

  8. Re: [News] Most Popular Computers Are Windows-Free, Businesses Migrate to *NIX with Wine

    On 16 Apr 2008 21:53:11 GMT, DanS wrote:

    > Ian Thompson-Bell wrote in
    >
    >>> Who knows where, geographically speaking. When all they are doing is
    >>> tracking web site browsing statistics, I don't think that information
    >>> is readily available.

    >> So basically to say M$ has 90+% of the OS market is simply nonsense.

    > I wouldn't say that. I believe it's 90+%....but dropping every year.

    It is, but it is dropping.
    The Mac is the reason.

    NOT Linux....

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  9. Re: [News] Most Popular Computers Are Windows-Free, Businesses Migrate to *NIX with Wine

    On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 00:09:16 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > DanS writes:
    >
    >> Hadron wrote in news:fu5e6d$bhq$2
    >> @registered.motzarella.org:

    >>> Or gained another 100,000 users. Nice.
    >>>
    >>> But suddenly when you can attach "doubled" the numbers are valid?
    >>>
    >>> LOL. Only in COLA,

    >> Again...I'm not reading these in COLA...
    >>
    >> But...let's look at the math.
    >>
    >> With the 'claimed' 1 billion PC's in use...
    >>
    >> With Linux at .6%:
    >> .6 % is ........ 6 million....so from 3 million to 6 million in 3 years,
    >> or a _gain_ of 3 million.
    >>
    >> And Windows....from 96% (960 million) to 91% (910 million) which is a
    >> _loss_ of 50 million users.
    >>
    >> It's pretty hard to argue with the math...but I'm sure you'll try.

    > I will argue with the math. It's all approximate. And pretty much still
    > confirms that Linux is going nowhere on the big stage still.

    That's right.
    Look around.
    Where do you see Linux on the desktop?
    You don't.

    Ten years plus and Linux is still no place.
    A free OS can't compete with an overpriced OS (IMHO)....

    That should say to anyone that something is seriously wrong with Linux.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  10. Re: [News] Most Popular Computers Are Windows-Free, Businesses Migrate to *NIX with Wine

    Frank wrote in

    > DanS wrote:
    >> Hadron wrote in news:fu5e6d$bhq$2
    >> @registered.motzarella.org:

    >>>Or gained another 100,000 users. Nice.
    >>>
    >>>But suddenly when you can attach "doubled" the numbers are valid?
    >>>
    >>>LOL. Only in COLA,

    >> Again...I'm not reading these in COLA...
    >>
    >> But...let's look at the math.
    >>
    >> With the 'claimed' 1 billion PC's in use...
    >>
    >> With Linux at .6%:
    >> .6 % is ........ 6 million....so from 3 million to 6 million in 3
    >> years, or a _gain_ of 3 million.
    >>
    >> And Windows....from 96% (960 million) to 91% (910 million) which is a
    >> _loss_ of 50 million users.
    >>
    >> It's pretty hard to argue with the math...but I'm sure you'll try.
    >>

    > Not if the total number of users has increased, which it proly has.
    > Your math mistake is keeping the number of computer user constant over
    > the yrs which we all know is simply not true.
    > 90% could actually represent more total number of Windows users.
    > Like you said, never argue with math...LOL!
    > Frank

    You are correct. I did that to simplify the calculations.

    So...let's say 850mil 3 yrs ago....

    96% = 816 Mil.
    ..3% = 2.55 Mil.

    So the MS 'share', by sheer units alone did increase by a tad over a 100
    Mil. Interestng. So the Linux 'share' had better than doubled then.

    But we are talking about overall percentages, not individual units.

  11. Re: [News] Most Popular Computers Are Windows-Free, Businesses Migrateto *NIX with Wine

    DanS wrote:

    > Frank wrote in
    >

    >>DanS wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hadron wrote in news:fu5e6d$bhq$2
    >>>@registered.motzarella.org:

    >>>Again...I'm not reading these in COLA...
    >>>
    >>>But...let's look at the math.
    >>>
    >>>With the 'claimed' 1 billion PC's in use...
    >>>
    >>>With Linux at .6%:
    >>>.6 % is ........ 6 million....so from 3 million to 6 million in 3
    >>>years, or a _gain_ of 3 million.
    >>>
    >>>And Windows....from 96% (960 million) to 91% (910 million) which is a
    >>>_loss_ of 50 million users.
    >>>
    >>>It's pretty hard to argue with the math...but I'm sure you'll try.
    >>>

    >>Not if the total number of users has increased, which it proly has.
    >>Your math mistake is keeping the number of computer user constant over
    >>the yrs which we all know is simply not true.
    >>90% could actually represent more total number of Windows users.
    >>Like you said, never argue with math...LOL!
    >>Frank

    > You are correct. I did that to simplify the calculations.
    >
    > So...let's say 850mil 3 yrs ago....
    >
    > 96% = 816 Mil.
    > .3% = 2.55 Mil.
    >
    > So the MS 'share', by sheer units alone did increase by a tad over a 100
    > Mil. Interestng. So the Linux 'share' had better than doubled then.
    >
    > But we are talking about overall percentages, not individual units.

    Who really gives a fukk huh? It only matters if you're an MS hating
    linux fanatical zealot.
    Otherwise spend $90USD at Best Buy and get Vista Home Premium that will
    run everything known to man, won't crash or get infected and you won't
    be sitting in front the god damn thing everyday saying to
    yourself..."now WTF is the command line to do this"?
    Trust me...I know what I'm talking about.
    You really need to be full of hate in order to endure that kind of pain.
    I'm not!
    Frank

  12. Re: [News] Most Popular Computers Are Windows-Free, Businesses Migrateto *NIX with Wine

    Frank wrote:
    > DanS wrote:
    >> Hadron wrote in news:fu5e6d$bhq$2
    >> @registered.motzarella.org:

    >>> Or gained another 100,000 users. Nice.
    >>>
    >>> But suddenly when you can attach "doubled" the numbers are valid?
    >>>
    >>> LOL. Only in COLA,

    >> Again...I'm not reading these in COLA...
    >>
    >> But...let's look at the math.
    >>
    >> With the 'claimed' 1 billion PC's in use...
    >>
    >> With Linux at .6%:
    >> .6 % is ........ 6 million....so from 3 million to 6 million in 3
    >> years, or a _gain_ of 3 million.
    >>
    >> And Windows....from 96% (960 million) to 91% (910 million) which is a
    >> _loss_ of 50 million users.
    >>
    >> It's pretty hard to argue with the math...but I'm sure you'll try.
    >>

    > Not if the total number of users has increased, which it proly has.
    > Your math mistake is keeping the number of computer user constant over
    > the yrs which we all know is simply not true.
    > 90% could actually represent more total number of Windows users.
    > Like you said, never argue with math...LOL!
    > Frank

    Number 2 from ...LOL tonite

  13. Re: [News] Most Popular Computers Are Windows-Free, Businesses Migrateto *NIX with Wine

    Frank wrote:
    > DanS wrote:
    >
    >> Frank wrote in

    >>> Not if the total number of users has increased, which it proly has.
    >>> Your math mistake is keeping the number of computer user constant over
    >>> the yrs which we all know is simply not true.
    >>> 90% could actually represent more total number of Windows users.
    >>> Like you said, never argue with math...LOL!
    >>> Frank

    >> You are correct. I did that to simplify the calculations.
    >>
    >> So...let's say 850mil 3 yrs ago....
    >>
    >> 96% = 816 Mil.
    >> .3% = 2.55 Mil.
    >>
    >> So the MS 'share', by sheer units alone did increase by a tad over a
    >> 100 Mil. Interestng. So the Linux 'share' had better than doubled then.
    >>
    >> But we are talking about overall percentages, not individual units.
    >>

    > Who really gives a fukk huh? It only matters if you're an MS hating
    > linux fanatical zealot.
    > Otherwise spend $90USD at Best Buy and get Vista Home Premium that
    > will run everything known to man, won't crash or get infected and you
    > won't be sitting in front the god damn thing everyday saying to
    > yourself..."now WTF is the command line to do this"?
    > Trust me...I know what I'm talking about.

    I do not think he even knows his mama
    > You really need to be full of hate

    ....LOL certainly is
    > in order to endure that kind of pain.
    > I'm not!

    no hehehe now but a good ha ha ha
    > Frank

  14. Re: [News] Most Popular Computers Are Windows-Free, Businesses Migrateto *NIX with Wine

    Hadron wrote:
    > Ian Thompson-Bell writes:
    >
    >> Hadron wrote:

    >>> No, you're right. No one really uses MS in the States or in Europe.
    >>>
    >>> *boggle*

    >> So why not answer the question, where does this info come from?

    > See if you can guess. God knows its obvious enough. It's not some big
    > conspiracy. Unless! Hey maybe everyone I know just has a "XP Screen
    > Saver" on their Ubuntu desktop! Yes! That's it! Maybe everyone changes
    > their browser tags to say "Windows" instead of Linux!!!! That must be
    > it!

    That's the problem, the market is not 'everyone you know'. The world is
    a tad bigger than that. Pop over to China sometime and see if you can
    spot the odd XP screen in amongst the sea of Yellow Dog Linux.

    Cheers

    Ian

  15. Re: [News] Most Popular Computers Are Windows-Free, Businesses Migrateto *NIX with Wine

    Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    > On 16 Apr 2008 21:53:11 GMT, DanS wrote:
    >
    >> Ian Thompson-Bell wrote in

    >>> So basically to say M$ has 90+% of the OS market is simply nonsense.

    >> I wouldn't say that. I believe it's 90+%....but dropping every year.

    > It is, but it is dropping.
    > The Mac is the reason.
    >
    > NOT Linux....

    Prove it.

    Cheers

    Ian

  16. Re: [News] Most Popular Computers Are Windows-Free, Businesses Migrate to *NIX with Wine

    Ian Thompson-Bell writes:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >> Ian Thompson-Bell writes:

    >>> So why not answer the question, where does this info come from?

    >> See if you can guess. God knows its obvious enough. It's not some big
    >> conspiracy. Unless! Hey maybe everyone I know just has a "XP Screen
    >> Saver" on their Ubuntu desktop! Yes! That's it! Maybe everyone changes
    >> their browser tags to say "Windows" instead of Linux!!!! That must be
    >> it!
    >>

    > That's the problem, the market is not 'everyone you know'. The world

    It really is a case of "so what". I dont seem them giving back, I dont
    see them in "my market". I know next to no one who uses it except for me
    and two small businesses I originally stuck Ubuntu in (moved them to
    Debian since).

    > is a tad bigger than that. Pop over to China sometime and see if you
    > can spot the odd XP screen

    Try it. It's Easy.

    > in amongst the sea of Yellow Dog Linux.

    That's no way to refer to Chinese people.

    --
    However, my enthusiasm for the modular tree is tempered by some parts of
    it not existing.

  17. Re: [News] Most Popular Computers Are Windows-Free, Businesses Migrate to *NIX with Wine

    Ian Thompson-Bell writes:

    > Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    >> On 16 Apr 2008 21:53:11 GMT, DanS wrote:
    >>
    >>> Ian Thompson-Bell wrote in

    >>> I wouldn't say that. I believe it's 90+%....but dropping every year.

    >> It is, but it is dropping.
    >> The Mac is the reason.
    >>
    >> NOT Linux....
    >>

    > Prove it.
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Ian

    No, you prove it .. etc.

    Personally I see many more Macs out and about than I did a while
    back. You seem transfixed on the wonderful Peoples Republic. Good on
    you.

    --
    However, my enthusiasm for the modular tree is tempered by some parts of
    it not existing.
    -- Daniel Stone on debian-{x,devel}, commenting on the
    future of X

  18. Re: [News] Most Popular Computers Are Windows-Free, Businesses Migrate to *NIX with Wine

    Frank wrote in

    > Trust me...I know what I'm talking about.

    Weren't you ever taught you never trust people that say 'Trust me.'

  19. Re: [News] Most Popular Computers Are Windows-Free, Businesses Migrate to *NIX with Wine

    Frank wrote:

    >Who really gives a fukk huh? It only matters if you're an MS hating
    >linux fanatical zealot.

    I thought I had your putrid pea-brain plonked. Oh well, if at first
    you don't succeed...

    *plonk*

  20. Re: [News] Most Popular Computers Are Windows-Free, Businesses Migrateto *NIX with Wine

    measekite, a real fukkin idiot wrote:

    Hey you stupid piece of ****, how is the oem ink tasting huh?...LOL!
    You're an idiot...hehehe!
    Frank