[News] Most Popular Computers Are Windows-Free, Businesses Migrate to *NIX with Wine - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Most Popular Computers Are Windows-Free, Businesses Migrate to *NIX with Wine - Linux ; Hadron wrote in news:fu4h9l$lu7$2@registered.motzarella.org: > DanS writes: > >> Moshe Goldfarb wrote in >> news:1trkfg0azrexz.e3n6irgnngc8.dlg@40tude.net: >> >>> On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 13:44:10 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote: >>> >>>> Windows is on its Last Legs!? >>> At 95+ percent of ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 72

  1. Re: [News] Most Popular Computers Are Windows-Free, Businesses Migrate to *NIX with Wine

    Hadron wrote in

    > DanS writes:
    >
    >> Moshe Goldfarb wrote in

    >>> At 95+ percent of the market I don't think so.
    >>>
    >>> Now Linux at 0.6 percent of desktop market share even after 10+
    >>> years is pretty much on life support at this point.

    >> Using your sources....Linux was @ .31% 3 years ago.
    >>
    >> Now at .61%
    >>
    >> Sounds like Linux use is increasing, not on life support.
    >>
    >> Unlike MS OS's use, which has dropped by 4.5%.
    >>

    > Are you serious? You see 0.3 to 0.6 as a serious threat to a company
    > who has more than 90% of the market as a threat?
    >
    > FFS. Get real.

    Threat or no threat wasn't my point.

    I was pointing out long-term trend data....if you can understand that.

  2. Re: [News] Most Popular Computers Are Windows-Free, Businesses Migrate to *NIX with Wine

    Ian Thompson-Bell wrote in news:fu4a6r$25p5$1
    @energise.enta.net:

    > Can someone define 'Market'?? here. I suspect it is restricted to the
    > USA and Europe.

    Market share, as defined here, is essentially nothing more than statistics
    gathered by web servers as users browse the web.

    And that is the whole problem as to comparing Linux against any other OS.

    MS & Apple can report x million licenses sold, but since Linux isn't
    typically 'sold', and certainly not distributed by a single entity, there
    really can't be an accurate count of users.

    Of course, MS counts licenses sold as users, which we all know is certainly
    not a one-for-one deal.

  3. Re: [News] Most Popular Computers Are Windows-Free, Businesses Migrate to *NIX with Wine

    On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 11:35:46 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > DanS writes:
    >
    >> Moshe Goldfarb wrote in

    >>> At 95+ percent of the market I don't think so.
    >>>
    >>> Now Linux at 0.6 percent of desktop market share even after 10+ years is
    >>> pretty much on life support at this point.

    >> Using your sources....Linux was @ .31% 3 years ago.
    >>
    >> Now at .61%
    >>
    >> Sounds like Linux use is increasing, not on life support.
    >>
    >> Unlike MS OS's use, which has dropped by 4.5%.
    >>

    > Are you serious? You see 0.3 to 0.6 as a serious threat to a company who
    > has more than 90% of the market as a threat?
    >
    > FFS. Get real.

    He should be in marketing....
    Something like "Linux usage doubles in 10 years"

    The part they don't tell the consumer is that it is still at 0.6 percent of
    the market.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  4. Re: [News] Most Popular Computers Are Windows-Free, Businesses Migrate to *NIX with Wine

    Moshe Goldfarb is flatfish (aka: Gary Stewart)

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic
    * Racist
    * Habitual liar

  5. Re: [News] Most Popular Computers Are Windows-Free, Businesses Migrate to *NIX with Wine

    "Hadron" wrote in message
    > DanS writes:
    >
    >> Moshe Goldfarb wrote in

    >>> At 95+ percent of the market I don't think so.
    >>>
    >>> Now Linux at 0.6 percent of desktop market share even after 10+ years is
    >>> pretty much on life support at this point.

    >> Using your sources....Linux was @ .31% 3 years ago.
    >>
    >> Now at .61%
    >>
    >> Sounds like Linux use is increasing, not on life support.
    >>
    >> Unlike MS OS's use, which has dropped by 4.5%.
    >>

    > Are you serious? You see 0.3 to 0.6 as a serious threat to a company who
    > has more than 90% of the market as a threat?
    >
    > FFS. Get real.

    That statistic is very BS and you are just to dumb to know it. It excludes
    whole countries and market segments. Take bottom end laptops, it is almost
    exclusive Linux. Server market share has Linux as growing and considerably
    larger than 0.6.

    Keep being a nice MS puppet spewing the FUD.

  6. Re: [News] Most Popular Computers Are Windows-Free, Businesses Migrate to *NIX with Wine

    Canuck57 wrote:

    > Take bottom end laptops, it is almost exclusive Linux.

    Think so? Go to www.newegg.com and read the user reviews on the various
    Asus EeePC models. Note how many of them immediately wipe Linux and install
    Windows. It seems to be about 50% of those who mention the operating
    system.

  7. Re: [News] Most Popular Computers Are Windows-Free, Businesses Migrate to *NIX with Wine

    On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 10:21:14 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > Canuck57 wrote:
    >
    >> Take bottom end laptops, it is almost exclusive Linux.

    > Think so? Go to www.newegg.com and read the user reviews on the various
    > Asus EeePC models. Note how many of them immediately wipe Linux and install
    > Windows. It seems to be about 50% of those who mention the operating
    > system.

    That's correct.
    Even some reviewers of the box conceded that Linux had to go and Windows
    installed in it's place.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  8. Re: [News] Most Popular Computers Are Windows-Free, Businesses Migrate to *NIX with Wine

    "Moshe Goldfarb" wrote in message
    news:8oxhsfuacc1q$.1lc1bmabrm1lm$.dlg@40tude.net.. .
    > On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 11:35:46 +0200, Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> DanS writes:
    >>
    >>> Moshe Goldfarb wrote in

    >>> Using your sources....Linux was @ .31% 3 years ago.
    >>>
    >>> Now at .61%
    >>>
    >>> Sounds like Linux use is increasing, not on life support.
    >>>
    >>> Unlike MS OS's use, which has dropped by 4.5%.
    >>>

    >> Are you serious? You see 0.3 to 0.6 as a serious threat to a company who
    >> has more than 90% of the market as a threat?
    >>
    >> FFS. Get real.

    > He should be in marketing....
    > Something like "Linux usage doubles in 10 years"
    >
    > The part they don't tell the consumer is that it is still at 0.6 percent
    > of
    > the market.

    Read something intelligent about Linux market share.

    http://www.oreillynet.com/linux/blog..._share_be.html

    Many of us have installed Linux so many times, I actually couldn't tell you
    how many times. For one company, I even rolled a custom DVD so that was
    easy enough for a MS Admin to install flawlessly. Allocated the disk, setup
    LDAP auth, DNS etc... So easy users could even do it.

  9. Re: [News] Most Popular Computers Are Windows-Free, Businesses Migrate to *NIX with Wine

    On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 14:31:30 GMT, Canuck57 wrote:

    > "Moshe Goldfarb" wrote in message
    > news:8oxhsfuacc1q$.1lc1bmabrm1lm$.dlg@40tude.net.. .

    >>> Are you serious? You see 0.3 to 0.6 as a serious threat to a company who
    >>> has more than 90% of the market as a threat?
    >>>
    >>> FFS. Get real.

    >> He should be in marketing....
    >> Something like "Linux usage doubles in 10 years"
    >>
    >> The part they don't tell the consumer is that it is still at 0.6 percent
    >> of
    >> the market.

    > Read something intelligent about Linux market share.
    >
    > http://www.oreillynet.com/linux/blog..._share_be.html
    >
    > Many of us have installed Linux so many times, I actually couldn't tell you
    > how many times. For one company, I even rolled a custom DVD so that was
    > easy enough for a MS Admin to install flawlessly. Allocated the disk, setup
    > LDAP auth, DNS etc... So easy users could even do it.

    The part they leave out is how many of these same people have REMOVED Linux
    and re-installed Windows.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  10. Re: [News] Most Popular Computers Are Windows-Free, Businesses Migrate to *NIX with Wine

    Moshe Goldfarb is flatfish (aka: Gary Stewart)

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic
    * Racist
    * Habitual liar

  11. Re: [News] Most Popular Computers Are Windows-Free, Businesses Migrateto *NIX with Wine

    Hadron wrote:
    > Ian Thompson-Bell writes:
    >
    >> DanS wrote:
    >>> Moshe Goldfarb wrote in

    >>> 91% now. It was 96% 3 years ago.
    >>>

    >> Can someone define 'Market'?? here. I suspect it is restricted to the
    >> USA and Europe. If you include China, South America and Africa I
    >> expect the M$ market share is less than 50%.
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >>
    >> IAn

    > Well, IAn, yre you now trying to tell us that non MS OSen have about
    > half of the world's market?
    >
    > Please explain this magical math you speak of.

    Well, as I asked previously, it depends on this magical 'market' that it
    is claimed M$ had 90+% of. Please define it geographically and I will
    happily reply.

    Cheers

    Ian

  12. Re: [News] Most Popular Computers Are Windows-Free, Businesses Migrateto *NIX with Wine

    DanS wrote:
    > Ian Thompson-Bell wrote in news:fu4a6r$25p5$1
    > @energise.enta.net:
    >
    >> Can someone define 'Market'?? here. I suspect it is restricted to the
    >> USA and Europe.

    > Market share, as defined here, is essentially nothing more than statistics
    > gathered by web servers as users browse the web.

    Surely, since XP and Vista are unusable unless you 'register' with M$
    they must know exactly how many copies are out there and where plus they
    must have all the statistics from their OEM sales.

    > And that is the whole problem as to comparing Linux against any other OS.
    >
    > MS & Apple can report x million licenses sold, but since Linux isn't
    > typically 'sold', and certainly not distributed by a single entity, there
    > really can't be an accurate count of users.
    >
    > Of course, MS counts licenses sold as users, which we all know is certainly
    > not a one-for-one deal.

    But, I ask again, where geographically are all these licences and how
    many in each continent?

    Cheers

    Ian

  13. Re: [News] Most Popular Computers Are Windows-Free, Businesses Migrate to *NIX with Wine

    Moshe Goldfarb wrote in

    > On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 11:35:46 +0200, Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> DanS writes:
    >>
    >>> Moshe Goldfarb wrote in

    >>> Using your sources....Linux was @ .31% 3 years ago.
    >>>
    >>> Now at .61%
    >>>
    >>> Sounds like Linux use is increasing, not on life support.
    >>>
    >>> Unlike MS OS's use, which has dropped by 4.5%.
    >>>

    >> Are you serious? You see 0.3 to 0.6 as a serious threat to a company
    >> who has more than 90% of the market as a threat?
    >>
    >> FFS. Get real.

    > He should be in marketing....
    > Something like "Linux usage doubles in 10 years"

    Doubled in less than 3 years dipsh*t.

    Learn to read AND comprehend at the same time.

  14. Re: [News] Most Popular Computers Are Windows-Free, Businesses Migrate to *NIX with Wine

    Ian Thompson-Bell wrote in

    > DanS wrote:
    >> Ian Thompson-Bell wrote in
    >> news:fu4a6r$25p5$1 @energise.enta.net:
    >>
    >>> Can someone define 'Market'?? here. I suspect it is restricted to
    >>> the USA and Europe.

    >> Market share, as defined here, is essentially nothing more than
    >> statistics gathered by web servers as users browse the web.
    >>

    > Surely, since XP and Vista are unusable unless you 'register' with M$
    > they must know exactly how many copies are out there and where plus
    > they must have all the statistics from their OEM sales.

    There are cracks for WPA for both XP and Vista. Vista SP1 was supposed to
    address 2 of the crack techniques.

    MS does know how many copies have been activated, but they don't share
    those numbers.

    Wouldn't it be embarrasing for them to issue a release that '100 million
    Vista licenses sold, but only 10 million being used.'.

    >> And that is the whole problem as to comparing Linux against any other
    >> OS.
    >>
    >> MS & Apple can report x million licenses sold, but since Linux isn't
    >> typically 'sold', and certainly not distributed by a single entity,
    >> there really can't be an accurate count of users.
    >>
    >> Of course, MS counts licenses sold as users, which we all know is
    >> certainly not a one-for-one deal.

    > But, I ask again, where geographically are all these licences and how
    > many in each continent?

    Who knows where, geographically speaking. When all they are doing is
    tracking web site browsing statistics, I don't think that information is
    readily available.

  15. Re: [News] Most Popular Computers Are Windows-Free, Businesses Migrate to *NIX with Wine

    "Moshe Goldfarb" wrote in message
    news:1jdh96qbpf6op.1cegohg4fwrh4$.dlg@40tude.net.. .
    > On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 14:31:30 GMT, Canuck57 wrote:
    >
    >> "Moshe Goldfarb" wrote in message
    >> news:8oxhsfuacc1q$.1lc1bmabrm1lm$.dlg@40tude.net.. .

    >>> He should be in marketing....
    >>> Something like "Linux usage doubles in 10 years"
    >>>
    >>> The part they don't tell the consumer is that it is still at 0.6 percent
    >>> of
    >>> the market.

    >> Read something intelligent about Linux market share.
    >>
    >> http://www.oreillynet.com/linux/blog..._share_be.html
    >>
    >> Many of us have installed Linux so many times, I actually couldn't tell
    >> you
    >> how many times. For one company, I even rolled a custom DVD so that was
    >> easy enough for a MS Admin to install flawlessly. Allocated the disk,
    >> setup
    >> LDAP auth, DNS etc... So easy users could even do it.

    > The part they leave out is how many of these same people have REMOVED
    > Linux
    > and re-installed Windows.

    Somehow I doubt that happens often.

  16. Re: [News] Most Popular Computers Are Windows-Free, Businesses Migrate to *NIX with Wine

    Ian Thompson-Bell writes:

    > DanS wrote:
    >> Ian Thompson-Bell wrote in news:fu4a6r$25p5$1
    >> @energise.enta.net:
    >>
    >>> Can someone define 'Market'?? here. I suspect it is restricted to
    >>> the USA and Europe.

    >> Market share, as defined here, is essentially nothing more than
    >> statistics gathered by web servers as users browse the web.
    >>

    > Surely, since XP and Vista are unusable unless you 'register' with M$
    > they must know exactly how many copies are out there and where plus
    > they must have all the statistics from their OEM sales.

    You know full well that thats not true. That would only tell us the
    number of MS OSen in use IF they were all legal. In addition it does not
    tell us the number of non MS OSen. Unless one were to extend your "idea"
    a bit and, gasp, count the number of all OSen which address an OS
    agnostic web site like the BBC. Which says 0.8%. Admittedly UK market
    there but a good indicator across Europe I feel.

    Frankly I dont really care what a Farmer in Kerala uses. He won't be
    buying any of our services quite soon.

  17. Re: [News] Most Popular Computers Are Windows-Free, Businesses Migrate to *NIX with Wine

    DanS writes:

    > Moshe Goldfarb wrote in

    >>> Are you serious? You see 0.3 to 0.6 as a serious threat to a company
    >>> who has more than 90% of the market as a threat?
    >>>
    >>> FFS. Get real.

    >> He should be in marketing....
    >> Something like "Linux usage doubles in 10 years"

    > Doubled in less than 3 years dipsh*t.
    >
    > Learn to read AND comprehend at the same time.

    Or gained another 100,000 users. Nice.

    But suddenly when you can attach "doubled" the numbers are valid?

    LOL. Only in COLA,

  18. Re: [News] Most Popular Computers Are Windows-Free, Businesses Migrateto *NIX with Wine

    DanS wrote:
    > Ian Thompson-Bell wrote in
    >
    >> DanS wrote:
    >>> Ian Thompson-Bell wrote in
    >>> news:fu4a6r$25p5$1 @energise.enta.net:

    >>> Market share, as defined here, is essentially nothing more than
    >>> statistics gathered by web servers as users browse the web.
    >>>

    >> Surely, since XP and Vista are unusable unless you 'register' with M$
    >> they must know exactly how many copies are out there and where plus
    >> they must have all the statistics from their OEM sales.

    > There are cracks for WPA for both XP and Vista. Vista SP1 was supposed to
    > address 2 of the crack techniques.
    >
    > MS does know how many copies have been activated, but they don't share
    > those numbers.
    >
    > Wouldn't it be embarrasing for them to issue a release that '100 million
    > Vista licenses sold, but only 10 million being used.'.
    >
    >>> And that is the whole problem as to comparing Linux against any other
    >>> OS.
    >>>
    >>> MS & Apple can report x million licenses sold, but since Linux isn't
    >>> typically 'sold', and certainly not distributed by a single entity,
    >>> there really can't be an accurate count of users.
    >>>
    >>> Of course, MS counts licenses sold as users, which we all know is
    >>> certainly not a one-for-one deal.

    >> But, I ask again, where geographically are all these licences and how
    >> many in each continent?

    > Who knows where, geographically speaking. When all they are doing is
    > tracking web site browsing statistics, I don't think that information is
    > readily available.

    So basically to say M$ has 90+% of the OS market is simply nonsense.

    Cheers

    Ian

  19. Re: [News] Most Popular Computers Are Windows-Free, Businesses Migrateto *NIX with Wine

    Hadron wrote:
    > Ian Thompson-Bell writes:
    >
    >> DanS wrote:
    >>> Ian Thompson-Bell wrote in news:fu4a6r$25p5$1
    >>> @energise.enta.net:

    >>> Market share, as defined here, is essentially nothing more than
    >>> statistics gathered by web servers as users browse the web.
    >>>

    >> Surely, since XP and Vista are unusable unless you 'register' with M$
    >> they must know exactly how many copies are out there and where plus
    >> they must have all the statistics from their OEM sales.

    > You know full well that thats not true. That would only tell us the
    > number of MS OSen in use IF they were all legal. In addition it does not
    > tell us the number of non MS OSen. Unless one were to extend your "idea"
    > a bit and, gasp, count the number of all OSen which address an OS
    > agnostic web site like the BBC. Which says 0.8%. Admittedly UK market
    > there but a good indicator across Europe I feel.
    >
    > Frankly I dont really care what a Farmer in Kerala uses. He won't be
    > buying any of our services quite soon.

    So, tell me, where does this figure of over 90% of the OS market for M$
    come from then?

    Cheers

    Ian

  20. Re: [News] Most Popular Computers Are Windows-Free, Businesses Migrate to *NIX with Wine

    Ian Thompson-Bell writes:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >> Ian Thompson-Bell writes:

    >>> Surely, since XP and Vista are unusable unless you 'register' with M$
    >>> they must know exactly how many copies are out there and where plus
    >>> they must have all the statistics from their OEM sales.

    >> You know full well that thats not true. That would only tell us the
    >> number of MS OSen in use IF they were all legal. In addition it does not
    >> tell us the number of non MS OSen. Unless one were to extend your "idea"
    >> a bit and, gasp, count the number of all OSen which address an OS
    >> agnostic web site like the BBC. Which says 0.8%. Admittedly UK market
    >> there but a good indicator across Europe I feel.
    >>
    >> Frankly I dont really care what a Farmer in Kerala uses. He won't be
    >> buying any of our services quite soon.

    > So, tell me, where does this figure of over 90% of the OS market for
    > M$ come from then?
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Ian

    No, you're right. No one really uses MS in the States or in Europe.

    *boggle*