[News] GNU/Linux Desktop Sales Program at Dell Thriving - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] GNU/Linux Desktop Sales Program at Dell Thriving - Linux ; A year later, sales of Linux on Dell computers continue to grow ,----[ Quote ] | Sales figures not released, but program is thriving, Dell says `---- http://www.computerworld.com/action/...intsrc=hm_list Recent: Linux faithful see ray of light shining on client OS ,----[ ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27

  1. [News] GNU/Linux Desktop Sales Program at Dell Thriving

    `----

    http://www.computerworld.com/action/...intsrc=hm_list

    Recent:

    Linux faithful see ray of light shining on client OS

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | “There is a huge market of people who can start out with Linux [and you don’t
    | have to try] to get them to switch from Windows,” says John Hull, manager of
    | the Linux engineering team at Dell. “And a lot of the opportunity is going to
    | be in developing markets.” * *
    `----

    http://www.networkworld.com/news/2008/041008-linux.html

    Report: Dell to release a low-cost minilaptop

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | You didn't expect Dell to sit idly by while Asus, Intel, and Hewlett-Packard
    | went flitting about town with their trendy low-cost, low-power minilaptops,
    | did you? Paris Hilton isn't the only celebrity to tote a Chihuahua, after
    | all. According to Taiwanese manufacturer Compal Electronics, Dell will soon
    | enter the minilaptop fray.
    `----

    Dell giving the shaft to open source ubuntu customers?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Seems that with FreeDOS I could get a processor with a (relatively) whopping
    | 4MB L2 cache, 2.33GHz clock speed and 1333 front side bus. I could also get a
    | significantly larger hard disk of 500GB. These improvements would cost a mere
    | $170 extra, not bad. *
    |
    | Now, there were some other differences between the setups so we’re not really
    | comparing apples to apples. For example, the ubuntu PC had an option for a
    | firewire port (IEEE adapter) whereas the FreeDOS option did not. But then,
    | the FreeDOS had an option for a dial-up modem which the ubuntu PC did not
    | have. Other than that the systems were almost identical. They have the same
    | capacity for an nVidia GeForce 8600-DDR3 256MB video card which is
    | respectable for a non-gaming PC and consequently one of the more important
    | factors to consider when using ubuntu since ATI graphics cards are notorious
    | for having problems with ubuntu. * * * *
    |
    | Still, the trend is clear, Dell offers FreeDOS PCs better hardware upgrade
    | options. In the end I opted for the FreeDOS computer simply because it comes
    | with beefier hardware. I can install ubuntu by myself; I actually prefer it
    | that way. *
    `----

    http://openswitch.org/journal/dell-g...untu-customers

    Related:

    At Dell, Windows XP Home is $19 less than worthless

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Latitude D520N Duo (with FreeDOS): $984
    |
    | Latitude D520 Dual Core (with Windows XP Home Edition SP2): $965
    `----

    http://danpritchard.com/blog/2007/02...han-worthless/

    Microsoft Shuts Down Linux 10 Years Ago Says Iowa Attorne

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Going back now to as early as 1998, Microsoft starts to realize that
    | Linux might pose a possible threat, and Vinod Valloppillil, who is
    | a program manager at Microsoft, is asked by Mr. Allchin, Jim Allchin,
    | to analyze potential strategies for combatting open-source software,
    | and specifically Linux.
    | His memos are leaked to the press in April -- I beg your pardon --
    | in October of 1998 and become known as the Halloween documents.
    | And the evidence will be that Microsoft uses its influence in the
    | OEM channel, the computer manufacture channel, to make sure that
    | end users have a difficult time buying PCs with Linux preinstalled.
    `----

    http://www.linuxelectrons.com/News/R..._Iowa_Attorney

    Microsoft's Dirty OEM-Secret

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | They are, in short the secret to Microsoft's success. And the word
    | secret is to be taken quite literally: No OEM may talk about the
    | contents of his contract, or he will lose his license, and (assumption)
    | likely be sued for breach of contract as well.
    `----

    http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2001/10/23/13219/110

    Jury Hears Microsoft Competition Suit

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | A judge on Friday told jurors they must accept as fact that a
    | federal court found in 1999 that Microsoft holds a monopoly over
    | computer operating systems and that it restricted computer
    | manufacturers' ability to use competing systems.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | She said she'll show that the company used its monopoly power
    | to exclude competition and control prices and that it conspired with
    | other companies to restrain trade, maintaining what she called a
    | chokehold on software competitors and computer manufacturers.
    `----

    http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/061201/micro...rial.html?.v=1

    Did Microsoft want to 'whack' Dell over its Linux dealings?

    http://news.com.com/Did+Microsoft+wa...3-6153904.html

    Dell's secret Linux fling [sabotaged by Microsoft]

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01...l_linux_china/

    Microsoft 'killed Dell Linux' - States

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2002/03..._linux_states/

  2. Re: [News] GNU/Linux Desktop Sales Program at Dell Thriving

    > A year later, sales of Linux on Dell computers continue to grow
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Sales figures not released

    What are they afraid of?

    Are they afraid of hurting Ballmer's feelings?

    If the figures are low, then why would they be afraid to publish them,
    since it'd make their pals at Microsoft so happy?

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    `----

    17:38:45 up 117 days, 14:14, 4 users, load average: 0.01, 0.02, 0.00

  3. Re: [News] GNU/Linux Desktop Sales Program at Dell Thriving

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    > A year later, sales of Linux on Dell computers continue to grow
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Sales figures not released, but program is thriving, Dell says
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.computerworld.com/action/...intsrc=hm_list

    Also at that link:
    (((((
    > Consumer-focused ads featuring Linux on Dell could appear at some point, Ray said, but it's not critical to the company. "I think that will occur when there's a reason for that to occur," he said. "We would like to get to a place where to some degree, it really doesn't matter" to consumers which operating system is on the machines.

    > The company has employees who monitor a wide variety of blogs, looking for discussions involving consumers who are seeking information on Linux, laptops and desktops, Camden said. The employees identify themselves and post replies pointing people to Dell and its Linux offerings. "They evangelize it on that kind of level," she said.

    )))))

    It is a good idea that Dell doesn't stick Linux computers in the faces
    of people who don't know Linux from Windows, as Everex did in Walmart
    stores.

    The "doesn't matter" condition is realized by people building more and
    better cross-platform apps.

  4. Re: [News] GNU/Linux Desktop Sales Program at Dell Thriving

    ____/ Matt on Wednesday 16 April 2008 17:40 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >> A year later, sales of Linux on Dell computers continue to grow
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | Sales figures not released, but program is thriving, Dell says
    >> `----

    http://www.computerworld.com/action/...intsrc=hm_list

    > Also at that link:
    > (((((
    >> Consumer-focused ads featuring Linux on Dell could appear at some point, Ray
    >> said, but it's not critical to the company. "I think that will occur when
    >> there's a reason for that to occur," he said. "We would like to get to a
    >> place where to some degree, it really doesn't matter" to consumers which
    >> operating system is on the machines.

    >> The company has employees who monitor a wide variety of blogs, looking for
    >> discussions involving consumers who are seeking information on Linux,
    >> laptops and desktops, Camden said. The employees identify themselves and
    >> post replies pointing people to Dell and its Linux offerings. "They
    >> evangelize it on that kind of level," she said.

    > )))))
    >
    > It is a good idea that Dell doesn't stick Linux computers in the faces
    > of people who don't know Linux from Windows, as Everex did in Walmart
    > stores.
    >
    > The "doesn't matter" condition is realized by people building more and
    > better cross-platform apps.

    Some people buy the Windows models just to install Linux on them (or dual boot)
    by their own admission. Dell ought to fix the pricing anomaly because the
    Windows-loaded PCs are often cheaper, which encourages Linux-using people to
    buy PCs with Windows (to be immediately purged).

    Anyway, in case Dell wants to boost Linux /sales/ (not just number of Linux
    installations on Dell boxes), pricing needs to be resolved. They undercount
    the number of Dell buyers that are Linux bound.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | "The speed of time is one second per second"
    Cpu(s): 24.3%us, 3.7%sy, 1.0%ni, 66.3%id, 4.4%wa, 0.3%hi, 0.1%si, 0.0%st

  5. Re: [News] GNU/Linux Desktop Sales Program at Dell Thriving

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    > ____/ Matt on Wednesday 16 April 2008 17:40 : \____
    >
    >> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>> A year later, sales of Linux on Dell computers continue to grow
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> `----
    >>>

    > http://www.computerworld.com/action/...intsrc=hm_list
    >>
    >> Also at that link:
    >> (((((
    >>> Consumer-focused ads featuring Linux on Dell could appear at some point, Ray
    >>> said, but it's not critical to the company. "I think that will occur when
    >>> there's a reason for that to occur," he said. "We would like to get to a
    >>> place where to some degree, it really doesn't matter" to consumers which
    >>> operating system is on the machines.
    >>> The company has employees who monitor a wide variety of blogs, looking for
    >>> discussions involving consumers who are seeking information on Linux,
    >>> laptops and desktops, Camden said. The employees identify themselves and
    >>> post replies pointing people to Dell and its Linux offerings. "They
    >>> evangelize it on that kind of level," she said.

    >> )))))
    >>
    >> It is a good idea that Dell doesn't stick Linux computers in the faces
    >> of people who don't know Linux from Windows, as Everex did in Walmart
    >> stores.
    >>
    >> The "doesn't matter" condition is realized by people building more and
    >> better cross-platform apps.

    > Some people buy the Windows models just to install Linux on them (or dual boot)
    > by their own admission. Dell ought to fix the pricing anomaly because the
    > Windows-loaded PCs are often cheaper, which encourages Linux-using people to
    > buy PCs with Windows (to be immediately purged).

    Absolutely if the Linux version and the Windows version of the same
    model were the same price, I would buy the Windows version and make it
    dual boot, in case I might need Windows.

    But note that I would prefer a model for which there is a Linux version,
    because Dell and Ubuntu engineers will have already dealt with any Linux
    hardware issues for that model. So that model (and Dell) is a little
    bit ahead when the model is offered with Linux installed: it is already
    proven to work with Linux.

    > Anyway, in case Dell wants to boost Linux /sales/ (not just number of Linux
    > installations on Dell boxes), pricing needs to be resolved. They undercount
    > the number of Dell buyers that are Linux bound.

    We can suppose that Dell is aware of the points we make above, and that
    they use those points to justify staying in the Linux market, even when
    their bare Linux sales figures may not in themselves be impressive
    enough to report.

    But no, they shouldn't be charging more for Linux than for Windows. It
    used to be that MS charged the OEM for each box they sold, whether or
    not Windows was installed. I don't know whether that practice has been
    ruled illegal.

  6. Re: [News] GNU/Linux Desktop Sales Program at Dell Thriving

    ____/ Matt on Wednesday 16 April 2008 22:51 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >> ____/ Matt on Wednesday 16 April 2008 17:40 : \____

    http://www.computerworld.com/action/...intsrc=hm_list

    >>> Also at that link:
    >>> (((((
    >>> )))))
    >>>
    >>> It is a good idea that Dell doesn't stick Linux computers in the faces
    >>> of people who don't know Linux from Windows, as Everex did in Walmart
    >>> stores.
    >>>
    >>> The "doesn't matter" condition is realized by people building more and
    >>> better cross-platform apps.

    >> Some people buy the Windows models just to install Linux on them (or dual
    >> boot) by their own admission. Dell ought to fix the pricing anomaly because
    >> the Windows-loaded PCs are often cheaper, which encourages Linux-using
    >> people to buy PCs with Windows (to be immediately purged).

    > Absolutely if the Linux version and the Windows version of the same
    > model were the same price, I would buy the Windows version and make it
    > dual boot, in case I might need Windows.
    >
    > But note that I would prefer a model for which there is a Linux version,
    > because Dell and Ubuntu engineers will have already dealt with any Linux
    > hardware issues for that model. So that model (and Dell) is a little
    > bit ahead when the model is offered with Linux installed: it is already
    > proven to work with Linux.
    >
    >> Anyway, in case Dell wants to boost Linux /sales/ (not just number of Linux
    >> installations on Dell boxes), pricing needs to be resolved. They undercount
    >> the number of Dell buyers that are Linux bound.

    > We can suppose that Dell is aware of the points we make above, and that
    > they use those points to justify staying in the Linux market, even when
    > their bare Linux sales figures may not in themselves be impressive
    > enough to report.
    >
    > But no, they shouldn't be charging more for Linux than for Windows. It
    > used to be that MS charged the OEM for each box they sold, whether or
    > not Windows was installed. I don't know whether that practice has been
    > ruled illegal.

    The predatory pricing schemes are a violation of the law and Intel is facing
    changes for such practises in several continents at the moment (it's almost a
    form of bribe for turning away competitors, just put more subtly). If
    Microsoft /still/ plays that game with Dell, Dell ought to file a complaint
    (while being careful of Ballmer's grease gun).

    Did Microsoft want to 'whack' Dell over its Linux dealings?

    http://news.com.com/Did+Microsoft+wa...3-6153904.html

    Dell's secret Linux fling [sabotaged by Microsoft]

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01...l_linux_china/

    Microsoft 'killed Dell Linux' - States

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2002/03..._linux_states/

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | < http://debian.org >
    Cpu(s): 24.6%us, 3.7%sy, 1.0%ni, 66.1%id, 4.3%wa, 0.3%hi, 0.1%si, 0.0%st

  7. Re: [News] GNU/Linux Desktop Sales Program at Dell Thriving

    On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 21:18:38 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > ____/ Matt on Wednesday 16 April 2008 17:40 : \____
    >
    >> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>> A year later, sales of Linux on Dell computers continue to grow
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> `----
    >>>

    > http://www.computerworld.com/action/...intsrc=hm_list
    >>

    >> Also at that link:
    >> (((((
    >>> Consumer-focused ads featuring Linux on Dell could appear at some point, Ray
    >>> said, but it's not critical to the company. "I think that will occur when
    >>> there's a reason for that to occur," he said. "We would like to get to a
    >>> place where to some degree, it really doesn't matter" to consumers which
    >>> operating system is on the machines.

    >>> The company has employees who monitor a wide variety of blogs, looking for
    >>> discussions involving consumers who are seeking information on Linux,
    >>> laptops and desktops, Camden said. The employees identify themselves and
    >>> post replies pointing people to Dell and its Linux offerings. "They
    >>> evangelize it on that kind of level," she said.

    >> )))))
    >>
    >> It is a good idea that Dell doesn't stick Linux computers in the faces
    >> of people who don't know Linux from Windows, as Everex did in Walmart
    >> stores.
    >>
    >> The "doesn't matter" condition is realized by people building more and
    >> better cross-platform apps.

    > Some people buy the Windows models just to install Linux on them (or dual boot)
    > by their own admission.

    BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAa!

    You have to be kidding.....

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  8. Re: [News] GNU/Linux Desktop Sales Program at Dell Thriving

    On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 21:51:16 GMT, Matt wrote:

    > But note that I would prefer a model for which there is a Linux version,
    > because Dell and Ubuntu engineers will have already dealt with any Linux
    > hardware issues for that model. So that model (and Dell) is a little
    > bit ahead when the model is offered with Linux installed: it is already
    > proven to work with Linux.

    And you believe that?
    You must be an idiot if you do....

    Here is a "Linux loaded laptop" from Lenovo, the second largest computer
    manufacturer in the world.

    As you can see, Lenovo "really checked out this laptop well" making certain
    Linux ran flawlessly on it...
    NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    http://www.channelinsider.com/c/a/Re...-of-Questions/

    "After the initial boot and logon, we were faced with a clean,
    well-organized desktop, but one element caught our eye right awayXa text
    document called ThinkPad Readme.txt. We launched it and found that the
    documents first line was Limitations, Workarounds and How Tos for
    SLED10. We did not like the sound of that limitations element. After
    all, isnt Linux supposed to be about overcoming limitations?

    The first part of the document covered features not supported. Some of
    those features are:

    * ThinkVantage Active Protection System.
    * ThinkVantage Access Connections for SUSE Linux
    * ThinkPad Configuration for SUSE Linux
    * ThinkPad Power Manager for SUSE Linux
    * Wireless WAN Adapter
    * ThinkVantage Button
    * (Intel Graphics System) DVI Output

    From our point of view, Lenovo was not off to a good start. The company
    announced back in August that Linux would be available on some of its
    notebook systems by the end of last year. But the launch of the
    Linux-powered notebooks didnt occur until this year; surely that should
    have been enough time to get those features working. Nothing upsets
    customers more than purchasing an item and then not being able to use all
    the features they paid for, so VARs beware. "

    Yea, these vendors really check these systems to make certain they work
    with Linux...

    You're a fool Matt.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  9. Re: [News] GNU/Linux Desktop Sales Program at Dell Thriving

    Matt espoused:
    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >> ____/ Matt on Wednesday 16 April 2008 17:40 : \____

    >> http://www.computerworld.com/action/...intsrc=hm_list
    >>>
    >>> Also at that link:
    >>> (((((
    >>> )))))
    >>>
    >>> It is a good idea that Dell doesn't stick Linux computers in the faces
    >>> of people who don't know Linux from Windows, as Everex did in Walmart
    >>> stores.
    >>>
    >>> The "doesn't matter" condition is realized by people building more and
    >>> better cross-platform apps.

    >> Some people buy the Windows models just to install Linux on them (or dual boot)
    >> by their own admission. Dell ought to fix the pricing anomaly because the
    >> Windows-loaded PCs are often cheaper, which encourages Linux-using people to
    >> buy PCs with Windows (to be immediately purged).

    > Absolutely if the Linux version and the Windows version of the same
    > model were the same price, I would buy the Windows version and make it
    > dual boot, in case I might need Windows.

    But why would you need windows? I personally think this is very broken
    thinking, as it merely serves to maintain the proprietary lock-in
    associated with the Windows platform in general.

    If they were the same price, I'd have the Linux version, myself. Aside
    from anything else, can you afford to buy the anti-virus? Keep it up to
    date? etc. etc.

  10. Re: [News] GNU/Linux Desktop Sales Program at Dell "downright bad"

    "Mark Kent" wrote in message
    > Matt espoused:
    >> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>> ____/ Matt on Wednesday 16 April 2008 17:40 : \____

    >>> http://www.computerworld.com/action/...intsrc=hm_list

    >>> Some people buy the Windows models just to install Linux on them (or
    >>> dual boot)
    >>> by their own admission. Dell ought to fix the pricing anomaly because
    >>> the
    >>> Windows-loaded PCs are often cheaper, which encourages Linux-using
    >>> people to
    >>> buy PCs with Windows (to be immediately purged).

    >> Absolutely if the Linux version and the Windows version of the same
    >> model were the same price, I would buy the Windows version and make it
    >> dual boot, in case I might need Windows.
    >>

    > But why would you need windows? I personally think this is very broken
    > thinking, as it merely serves to maintain the proprietary lock-in
    > associated with the Windows platform in general.
    >
    > If they were the same price, I'd have the Linux version, myself. Aside
    > from anything else, can you afford to buy the anti-virus? Keep it up to
    > date? etc. etc.

    http://www.osnews.com/story/19646

    quote-- "Personally, I always feel that if a company has a hit on their
    hands, or even reaches sales estimates, they will be shouting it off the
    rooftops - if they decline to give any detailed information, or use fairly
    vague and indeterminate terms like 'encouraging', it usually means that
    either sales are so-so, or that they are downright bad."

  11. Re: [News] GNU/Linux Desktop Sales Program at Dell "downright bad"

    On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 09:40:44 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:

    > quote--

    How about quoting your real name and ID for the forks here.

    Ruben

    Copyright for the Digital Millennium

  12. Re: [News] GNU/Linux Desktop Sales Program at Dell Thriving

    Mark Kent wrote:
    > Matt espoused:
    >> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>> ____/ Matt on Wednesday 16 April 2008 17:40 : \____

    >>> http://www.computerworld.com/action/...intsrc=hm_list

    >>> Some people buy the Windows models just to install Linux on them (or dual boot)
    >>> by their own admission. Dell ought to fix the pricing anomaly because the
    >>> Windows-loaded PCs are often cheaper, which encourages Linux-using people to
    >>> buy PCs with Windows (to be immediately purged).

    >> Absolutely if the Linux version and the Windows version of the same
    >> model were the same price, I would buy the Windows version and make it
    >> dual boot, in case I might need Windows.
    >>

    > But why would you need windows?

    What kind of bonehead question is that?

    < I personally think this is very broken
    > thinking, as it merely serves to maintain the proprietary lock-in
    > associated with the Windows platform in general.
    >
    > If they were the same price, I'd have the Linux version, myself. Aside
    > from anything else, can you afford to buy the anti-virus? Keep it up to
    > date? etc. etc.

    I believe you're one of the guys who said Linux has 17% of the market
    and growing to way more than that in 2008.

  13. Re: [News] GNU/Linux Desktop Sales Program at Dell Thriving

    ____/ Matt on Thursday 01 May 2008 11:07 : \____

    Where? On devices? It has more.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Open Source Reversi: http://othellomaster.com
    21:20:03 up 16 days, 19:32, 3 users, load average: 1.18, 1.19, 1.02

  14. Re: [News] GNU/Linux Desktop Sales Program at Dell Thriving

    Matt espoused:
    > Mark Kent wrote:
    >> Matt espoused:

    >>> Absolutely if the Linux version and the Windows version of the same
    >>> model were the same price, I would buy the Windows version and make it
    >>> dual boot, in case I might need Windows.
    >>>

    >> But why would you need windows?

    > What kind of bonehead question is that?

    Well, it's the kind of question an intelligent person would recognise as
    critical to differentiating between perceived and actual needs. Wonder
    why you can't see that? Glasses too dark?

    >< I personally think this is very broken
    >> thinking, as it merely serves to maintain the proprietary lock-in
    >> associated with the Windows platform in general.
    >>
    >> If they were the same price, I'd have the Linux version, myself. Aside
    >> from anything else, can you afford to buy the anti-virus? Keep it up to
    >> date? etc. etc.

    > I believe you're one of the guys who said Linux has 17% of the market
    > and growing to way more than that in 2008.

    I recall your lack of capability at understanding the maths you'd
    posted. Monitor out of focus?

  15. Re: [News] GNU/Linux Desktop Sales Program at Dell Thriving

    Mark Kent wrote:
    > Matt espoused:
    >> Mark Kent wrote:
    >>> Matt espoused:

    >>> But why would you need windows?

    >> What kind of bonehead question is that?
    >>

    > Well, it's the kind of question an intelligent person would recognise as
    > critical to differentiating between perceived and actual needs. Wonder
    > why you can't see that? Glasses too dark?
    >
    >> < I personally think this is very broken
    >>> thinking, as it merely serves to maintain the proprietary lock-in
    >>> associated with the Windows platform in general.
    >>>
    >>> If they were the same price, I'd have the Linux version, myself. Aside
    >>> from anything else, can you afford to buy the anti-virus? Keep it up to
    >>> date? etc. etc.

    >> I believe you're one of the guys who said Linux has 17% of the market
    >> and growing to way more than that in 2008.

    > I recall your lack of capability at understanding the maths you'd
    > posted. Monitor out of focus?

    I don't want to call you a dimwit or a linux loon.

    Explain your 17% number.

  16. Re: [News] GNU/Linux Desktop Sales Program at Dell Thriving

    Matt espoused:
    > Mark Kent wrote:
    >> Matt espoused:

    >>> What kind of bonehead question is that?
    >>>

    >> Well, it's the kind of question an intelligent person would recognise as
    >> critical to differentiating between perceived and actual needs. Wonder
    >> why you can't see that? Glasses too dark?
    >>
    >>> < I personally think this is very broken

    >>> I believe you're one of the guys who said Linux has 17% of the market
    >>> and growing to way more than that in 2008.

    >> I recall your lack of capability at understanding the maths you'd
    >> posted. Monitor out of focus?

    > I don't want to call you a dimwit or a linux loon.
    >
    > Explain your 17% number.

    When my children started at secondary school, I stopped doing part-time
    teaching of primary school maths. The explanation was given once, if
    you didn't understand it, please find a suitably qualified mathematician
    to take you through it.

  17. Re: [News] GNU/Linux Desktop Sales Program at Dell Thriving

    Matt writes:

    > Mark Kent wrote:
    >> Matt espoused:

    >>> What kind of bonehead question is that?
    >>>

    >> Well, it's the kind of question an intelligent person would recognise as
    >> critical to differentiating between perceived and actual needs. Wonder
    >> why you can't see that? Glasses too dark?
    >>
    >>> < I personally think this is very broken

    >>> I believe you're one of the guys who said Linux has 17% of the
    >>> market and growing to way more than that in 2008.

    >> I recall your lack of capability at understanding the maths you'd
    >> posted. Monitor out of focus?

    > I don't want to call you a dimwit or a linux loon.
    >
    > Explain your 17% number.

    Matt, you remind me of CC when he joined. Balanced, fair and honest. And
    he asked for proof or explanations for the COLA idiots mad
    claims. Before long he was baiting them too. They, and Kent in
    particular, are a couple short of the dozen. Mad as a hatter the lot of
    them.

    --
    < doogie> asuffield: how do you think dpkg was originally written? :|
    < asuffield> by letting iwj get dangerously near a computer

  18. Re: [News] GNU/Linux Desktop Sales Program at Dell Thriving

    * Mark Kent peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >> I don't want to call you a dimwit or a linux loon.
    >>
    >> Explain your 17% number.

    > When my children started at secondary school, I stopped doing part-time
    > teaching of primary school maths. The explanation was given once, if
    > you didn't understand it, please find a suitably qualified mathematician
    > to take you through it.

    I'm with Matt on this one, Mark.

    Explain your numbers or shut up about 'em.

    --
    Bill Gates is a monocle and a Persian cat away from being the villain in a
    James Bond movie.

  19. Re: [News] GNU/Linux Desktop Sales Program at Dell Thriving

    Mark Kent wrote:
    > Matt espoused:
    >> Mark Kent wrote:
    >>> Matt espoused:

    >>> Well, it's the kind of question an intelligent person would recognise as
    >>> critical to differentiating between perceived and actual needs. Wonder
    >>> why you can't see that? Glasses too dark?

    >>> I recall your lack of capability at understanding the maths you'd
    >>> posted. Monitor out of focus?

    >> I don't want to call you a dimwit or a linux loon.
    >>
    >> Explain your 17% number.

    > When my children started at secondary school, I stopped doing part-time
    > teaching of primary school maths. The explanation was given once, if
    > you didn't understand it, please find a suitably qualified mathematician
    > to take you through it.

    Maybe you could just explicitly direct me to the explanation or quote it
    here. Some how I didn't even see it.

  20. Re: [News] GNU/Linux Desktop Sales Program at Dell Thriving

    ____/ Mark Kent on Tuesday 06 May 2008 14:42 : \____

    > I recall your lack of capability at understanding the maths you'd
    > posted. *Monitor out of focus?

    What's the matter with you? You're attacking the wrong target.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Fetch SPAM quicker than you can type 'crond start'
    02:20:01 up 24 days, 32 min, 3 users, load average: 1.05, 1.04, 1.28

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast