[News] Argentina Considers National Migration to Free Software, Joining Others!! - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Argentina Considers National Migration to Free Software, Joining Others!! - Linux ; Argentina Mulls Open-Source Move ,----[ Quote ] | Argentina may become the first country in the world to require all government | offices to use open-source software, pending the outcome of a bill recently | introduced in the nation's congress. ...

  1. [News] Argentina Considers National Migration to Free Software, Joining Others!!

    Argentina Mulls Open-Source Move

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Argentina may become the first country in the world to require all government
    | offices to use open-source software, pending the outcome of a bill recently
    | introduced in the nation's congress.
    `----

    http://argentinadiscovery.nireblog.c...en-source-move

    With Ecaudor, Venezuela and the EU making similar moves recently (see below),
    Microsoft is truly in trouble.

    Last week:

    Ecuador migrates to Free Software and Open Standards

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | On April 10, 2008, Ecuadorean President Rafael Correa Delgado signed a decree
    | ordering that the software used by public administrations in the country be
    | free software (and implicitly based on open standards). Fuller story in
    | Spanish... *
    `----

    http://www.digistan.org/forum/t-5290...open-standards

    Venezuela and the Hackers’ Revolution

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The Third International Forum on Free Knowledge was recently held in
    | Maracaibo, Venezuela, bringing together many people interested in the
    | development of free software worldwide. One reason Venezuela chose to host
    | this event is that, in January 2006, their new free software law came into
    | effect, which mandates that all government agencies migrate to free software
    | over a two-year period.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | The Venezuelan revolution is perhaps the first revolution in history saved by
    | computer hackers and is one of the reasons the government is so very strong
    | on promoting the use of free software, particularly in public administration.
    | The Venezuelan government wishes never again to have vital infrastructure
    | held hostage or sabotaged by agents of foreign nations.
    `----

    http://www.dailyradical.org/knowledg...ers_Revolution

    EU: Europarlement testing Ubuntu, OpenOffice and Firefox

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The European Parliament's IT department is testing the use of GNU/Linux
    | distribution Ubuntu, OpenOffice, Firefox and other Open Source applications,
    | the British MEP James Nicholson explained last week in a letter to Italian
    | MEP Marco Cappato. *
    `----

    http://ec.europa.eu/idabc/en/document/7565

    Is Microsoft Now Banned from EU Contracts?

    http://www.computerworlduk.com/toolb...=697&blogid=14

    Euro MP thinks Microsoft should be banned from government contracts

    http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...arliament-asks

    Green MEP says Microsoft should be excluded from EU contract awarding procedure

    Recent:

    EC probes OOXML standards-setting process

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | A spokesman for the European Commissioner for Competition, Neelie Kroes, told
    | The Register that regulators were continuing to scrutinise interoperability
    | issues related to Microsoft’s products following complaints from the
    | Committee for Interoperable Systems (ECIS) group. *
    |
    | As part of that process, the EC formally contacted a number of national
    | standards bodies, including the Norwegian Standards Institute (NSI),
    | requesting more details about possible irregularities in the OOXML
    | standardisation process. *
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | “It must be stressed that it is not the Commission's intention to influence
    | the outcome of this process, but the Commission considers it essential to
    | ensure that European competition law is not violated in the course of the
    | standard setting process,” he said in an email to El Reg. *
    |
    | In January the EC began formal anti-trust probes against Microsoft in two
    | cases where it was alleged that the multinational firm had abused its strong
    | market position. As part of the investigation into the first case, the
    | Commission said that it would scrutinise OOXML on the grounds that the
    | specification doesn't work with those of competitors. * *
    `----

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/04...stigation_iso/

    Related:

    EU Commission Investigating Microsoft's MSOOXML Push

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I hope they think to investigate the smear campaigns that seem to always
    | happen to anyone on the other side from Microsoft. What happened to Peter
    | Quinn was by no means unique. *
    `----

    Corrupt countries were more likely to support the OOXML document format

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Is this just a random coincidence? The median of the CPI index of the above
    | mentioned 70 countries is 3.95. Of the most corrupted half (CPI index less
    | than 3.95) 23 or 77% voted for approval (approval or approval with comments)
    | and 7 or 23% for disapproval; 5 abstained. Of the least corrupted half (CPI
    | index more than 3.95) 13 or 54% voted for approval and 11 or 46% voted for
    | disapproval; 11 abstained - see the table below. * * *
    `----

    http://www.effi.org/blog/kai-2007-09-05.en.html

  2. Re: [News] Argentina Considers National Migration to Free Software, Joining Others!!

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > Argentina Mulls Open-Source Move
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| Argentina may become the first country in the world to require all government
    >| offices to use open-source software, pending the outcome of a bill recently
    >| introduced in the nation's congress.
    > `----
    >
    > http://argentinadiscovery.nireblog.c...en-source-move
    >
    > With Ecaudor, Venezuela and the EU making similar moves recently (see below),
    > Microsoft is truly in trouble.

    Hoist by their own petard, I should say. If they'd been a little less
    aggressive at trying to pervert and corrupt international standards
    bodies, and at trying to lock the whole world into paying them royalties
    for using a computer in any way, they might've been in a somewhat better
    state now.