Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 52

  1. Linux: nearly 6 months on, still no end in sight to the Ubuntu Gutsy freezing

    #1, Oct 23, 2007: (warning: illiterate freetard ramble follows) "hi i just
    installed gutsy amd64, i have nvidia graphics and i turned off desktop
    effects incase that was causing the crashes. The machine will lock up after
    randomly. you can use it for an hour then it will freeze or for 5 mins if
    that and it will. Desktop effects on or off makes no difference and it
    crashes whatever. And it's a real crash like can't move mouse or exit to
    prompt etc."

    #637, April 12, 2008: "Seems like this very thread has been active for
    months now, and still no easy fix seams to be available..."

    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...reezes&page=64

    This irritating slopware issue has gone on and on and on for nearly 6
    months.

    Linux idiots and liars - not just on cola but all over the 'Net - brag about
    "many eyes" and quick bugfixes and "Linux just works" and "I have the code".
    So where's the Gutsy fix after 6 months?

    (Note the intentional cross-post. Maybe some geeks with a spine in the
    Ubuntu group will have the balls to answer - cola is full of head-in-sand
    weenies who can't back up their claims.)

  2. Re: Linux: nearly 6 months on, still no end in sight to the Ubuntu Gutsy freezing

    On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 22:13:54 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > #1, Oct 23, 2007: (warning: illiterate freetard ramble follows) "hi i just
    > installed gutsy amd64, i have nvidia graphics and i turned off desktop
    > effects incase that was causing the crashes. The machine will lock up after
    > randomly. you can use it for an hour then it will freeze or for 5 mins if
    > that and it will. Desktop effects on or off makes no difference and it
    > crashes whatever. And it's a real crash like can't move mouse or exit to
    > prompt etc."
    >
    > #637, April 12, 2008: "Seems like this very thread has been active for
    > months now, and still no easy fix seams to be available..."
    >

    > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...reezes&page=64
    >

    > This irritating slopware issue has gone on and on and on for nearly 6
    > months.
    >
    > Linux idiots and liars - not just on cola but all over the 'Net - brag about
    > "many eyes" and quick bugfixes and "Linux just works" and "I have the code".
    > So where's the Gutsy fix after 6 months?
    >
    > (Note the intentional cross-post. Maybe some geeks with a spine in the
    > Ubuntu group will have the balls to answer - cola is full of head-in-sand
    > weenies who can't back up their claims.)

    So what's the problem?

    #1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007
    #1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007
    #1 Bartlo Pset, March 13-24 2007
    #10 Most hated Usenetizen of all time
    COOSN-266-06-25794

  3. Re: Linux: nearly 6 months on, still no end in sight to the UbuntuGutsy freezing

    "DFS" wrote:

    > The machine will lock up after
    > randomly.

    Sounds like my box.
    I have the same machine, AMD 64, always up, always running.
    May be you have a bad video card, may be bad memory, may be bad setup.
    In other words, you are ****ed up.

    --
    Jerry McGuire: Help me, help you...
    :-)

  4. Re: Linux: nearly 6 months on, still no end in sight to the Ubuntu Gutsy freezing

    On 2008-04-15, Holz wrote:
    > On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 22:13:54 -0400
    > "DFS" wrote:
    >
    >> The machine will lock up after
    >> randomly.

    > Sounds like my box.
    > I have the same machine, AMD 64, always up, always running.
    > May be you have a bad video card, may be bad memory, may be bad setup.
    > In other words, you are ****ed up.

    Could be anything, including Linux itself.

    I had a case of bad memory once.

    Bought 4 gigs of A-DATA RAM as an upgrade, upgraded linux at the same
    time. Started getting a lot of crashes. Like every 10 minutes. I
    thought that Fedora was bad. Eventually some logical thinking (once it
    froze even during BIOS stage, which gave me a clue) led me to believe
    that it was memory, which was the case. I sold the bad memory on ebay
    for 20c on the dollar (with full disclosure).

  5. Re: Linux: nearly 6 months on, still no end in sight to the UbuntuGutsy freezing

    On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 22:13:54 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > #637, April 12, 2008: "Seems like this very thread has been active for
    > months now, and still no easy fix seams to be available..."
    >

    > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...reezes&page=64

    I didn't see where you contributed to the bug report though I might
    have missed it.

    --
    // This is my opinion.

  6. Re: Linux: nearly 6 months on, still no end in sight to the UbuntuGutsy freezing

    On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 22:13:54 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > #1, Oct 23, 2007: (warning: illiterate freetard ramble follows) "hi i
    > just installed gutsy amd64, i have nvidia graphics and i turned off
    > desktop effects incase that was causing the crashes. The machine will
    > lock up after randomly. you can use it for an hour then it will freeze
    > or for 5 mins if that and it will. Desktop effects on or off makes no
    > difference and it crashes whatever. And it's a real crash like can't
    > move mouse or exit to prompt etc."
    >
    > #637, April 12, 2008: "Seems like this very thread has been active for
    > months now, and still no easy fix seams to be available..."
    >

    > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?

    t=587905&highlight=freezes&page=64

    > This irritating slopware issue has gone on and on and on for nearly 6
    > months.
    >
    > Linux idiots and liars - not just on cola but all over the 'Net - brag
    > about "many eyes" and quick bugfixes and "Linux just works" and "I have
    > the code". So where's the Gutsy fix after 6 months?
    >
    > (Note the intentional cross-post. Maybe some geeks with a spine in the
    > Ubuntu group will have the balls to answer - cola is full of
    > head-in-sand weenies who can't back up their claims.)

    If you have not added "noapic nolapic pci=noacpi" to your kernel boot
    options, you should try. Without them, my system with an nvidia card,
    will crash and burn (freeze) regularly..

  7. Re: Linux: nearly 6 months on, still no end in sight to the Ubuntu Gutsy freezing

    On 2008-04-15, jellybean stonerfish wrote:
    > On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 22:13:54 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >
    >> #1, Oct 23, 2007: (warning: illiterate freetard ramble follows) "hi i
    >> just installed gutsy amd64, i have nvidia graphics and i turned off
    >> desktop effects incase that was causing the crashes. The machine will
    >> lock up after randomly. you can use it for an hour then it will freeze
    >> or for 5 mins if that and it will. Desktop effects on or off makes no
    >> difference and it crashes whatever. And it's a real crash like can't
    >> move mouse or exit to prompt etc."
    >>
    >> #637, April 12, 2008: "Seems like this very thread has been active for
    >> months now, and still no easy fix seams to be available..."
    >>

    >> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?

    > t=587905&highlight=freezes&page=64
    >>

    >> This irritating slopware issue has gone on and on and on for nearly 6
    >> months.
    >>
    >> Linux idiots and liars - not just on cola but all over the 'Net - brag
    >> about "many eyes" and quick bugfixes and "Linux just works" and "I have
    >> the code". So where's the Gutsy fix after 6 months?
    >>
    >> (Note the intentional cross-post. Maybe some geeks with a spine in the
    >> Ubuntu group will have the balls to answer - cola is full of
    >> head-in-sand weenies who can't back up their claims.)

    > If you have not added "noapic nolapic pci=noacpi" to your kernel boot
    > options, you should try. Without them, my system with an nvidia card,
    > will crash and burn (freeze) regularly..

    Could you explain what do these options mean?

  8. Re: Linux: nearly 6 months on, still no end in sight to the Ubuntu Gutsy freezing

    On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 22:13:54 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > #1, Oct 23, 2007: (warning: illiterate freetard ramble follows) "hi i just
    > installed gutsy amd64, i have nvidia graphics and i turned off desktop
    > effects incase that was causing the crashes. The machine will lock up after
    > randomly. you can use it for an hour then it will freeze or for 5 mins if
    > that and it will. Desktop effects on or off makes no difference and it
    > crashes whatever. And it's a real crash like can't move mouse or exit to
    > prompt etc."
    >
    > #637, April 12, 2008: "Seems like this very thread has been active for
    > months now, and still no easy fix seams to be available..."
    >

    > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...reezes&page=64
    >

    > This irritating slopware issue has gone on and on and on for nearly 6
    > months.
    >
    > Linux idiots and liars - not just on cola but all over the 'Net - brag about
    > "many eyes" and quick bugfixes and "Linux just works" and "I have the code".
    > So where's the Gutsy fix after 6 months?
    >
    > (Note the intentional cross-post. Maybe some geeks with a spine in the
    > Ubuntu group will have the balls to answer - cola is full of head-in-sand
    > weenies who can't back up their claims.)

    An example of Linux at it's finest!

    Why do people torture themselves like this?

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  9. Re: Linux: nearly 6 months on, still no end in sight to the Ubuntu Gutsy freezing

    On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 04:23:00 +0000, jebblue wrote:

    > On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 22:13:54 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >
    >> #637, April 12, 2008: "Seems like this very thread has been active for
    >> months now, and still no easy fix seams to be available..."
    >>

    >> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...reezes&page=64

    > I didn't see where you contributed to the bug report though I might have
    > missed it.

    FYI: DFS is a wintroll. He doesn't use Linux, but trawls Google to find
    problems. He is a:
    * Racist
    * Habitual liar
    * Microsoft apologist

    Quote:
    "If it weren't for Windows, you wouldn't be posting anything right now."
    http://tinyurl.com/39l89u

    --
    WARNING: Because of the extreme spam emanating from googlegroups,
    I (like many others) no longer see any articles originating from

  10. Re: Linux: nearly 6 months on, still no end in sight to the Ubuntu Gutsy freezing

    On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 20:01:18 -0700, Holz wrote:

    > On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 22:13:54 -0400
    > "DFS" wrote:
    >
    >> The machine will lock up after
    >> randomly.

    > Sounds like my box.
    > I have the same machine, AMD 64, always up, always running. May be you
    > have a bad video card, may be bad memory, may be bad setup. In other
    > words, you are ****ed up.

    "DFS" is a wintroll.

    --
    WARNING: Because of the extreme spam emanating from googlegroups,
    I (like many others) no longer see any articles originating from
    that source. If you want your postings to be seen, use a proper
    newsreader. We now return you to your normal mayhem.

  11. Re: Linux: nearly 6 months on, still no end in sight to the Ubuntu Gutsy freezing

    William Poaster wrote:

    > FYI: DFS is a wintroll. He doesn't use Linux, but trawls Google to find
    > problems. He is a:
    > * Racist
    > * Habitual liar
    > * Microsoft apologist

    * Stupid
    * Ignorant
    --
    Regards,
    [tv]

    ....Life is sexually transmitted and terminal

    Good to the last supper

  12. Re: Linux: nearly 6 months on, still no end in sight to the UbuntuGutsy freezing

    On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 03:20:17 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    > On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 22:13:54 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >
    >> #1, Oct 23, 2007: (warning: illiterate freetard ramble follows) "hi i
    >> just installed gutsy amd64, i have nvidia graphics and i turned off
    >> desktop effects incase that was causing the crashes. The machine will
    >> lock up after randomly. you can use it for an hour then it will freeze
    >> or for 5 mins if that and it will. Desktop effects on or off makes no
    >> difference and it crashes whatever. And it's a real crash like can't
    >> move mouse or exit to prompt etc."
    >>
    >> #637, April 12, 2008: "Seems like this very thread has been active for
    >> months now, and still no easy fix seams to be available..."
    >>

    >> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?

    t=587905&highlight=freezes&page=64

    >> This irritating slopware issue has gone on and on and on for nearly 6
    >> months.
    >>
    >> Linux idiots and liars - not just on cola but all over the 'Net - brag
    >> about "many eyes" and quick bugfixes and "Linux just works" and "I have
    >> the code". So where's the Gutsy fix after 6 months?
    >>
    >> (Note the intentional cross-post. Maybe some geeks with a spine in the
    >> Ubuntu group will have the balls to answer - cola is full of
    >> head-in-sand weenies who can't back up their claims.)

    > An example of Linux at it's finest!
    >
    > Why do people torture themselves like this?

    Who knows? Why do you torture yourself? Why do your Linux using family
    members torture themselves?

    --
    Rick

  13. Re: Linux: nearly 6 months on, still no end in sight to the Ubuntu Gutsy freezing

    Ignoramus30238 wrote:
    > Could you explain what do these options mean?

    APIC = extended interrupt controller. Without one, you only have about 16 to
    play with. Many of which as hard wired for certain purposes.
    With one, you have more so peripherals don't need to share interrupts.

    The APIC is normally for multi-processor boards. As well as the "more
    interrupts" it also handles which cpu gets an interrupt at a particular
    time.

    The local apic is the same thing for single processor systems, all it does
    is extend the interrupt, AFAIK.

    But... if the apic onboard is dodgy, it can bring the entire system down.

    ACPI is advanced control and power interface. Lots of dodgy ACPI chipsets
    out there too which can cause crashes.

  14. Re: Linux: nearly 6 months on, still no end in sight to the Ubuntu Gutsy freezing

    Rick wrote:

    > Who knows? Why do you torture yourself? Why do your Linux using family
    > members torture themselves?

    Mooch is a liar. What's worse is he can't even keep his stories straight.
    --
    Regards,
    [tv]

    ....Lotus 6-6-6: Spreadsheet of the Beast

    Good to the last supper

  15. Re: Linux: nearly 6 months on, still no end in sight to the Ubuntu Gutsy freezing

    Ignoramus30238 wrote:
    > On 2008-04-15, jellybean stonerfish wrote:

    >> If you have not added "noapic nolapic pci=noacpi" to your kernel boot
    >> options, you should try. Without them, my system with an nvidia
    >> card, will crash and burn (freeze) regularly..

    > Could you explain what do these options mean?

    It means the half-ass Linux operating system is years behind Windows.

  16. Re: Linux: nearly 6 months on, still no end in sight to the Ubuntu Gutsy freezing

    On 2008-04-15, DFS wrote:
    > Ignoramus30238 wrote:
    >> On 2008-04-15, jellybean stonerfish wrote:

    >>> If you have not added "noapic nolapic pci=noacpi" to your kernel boot
    >>> options, you should try. Without them, my system with an nvidia
    >>> card, will crash and burn (freeze) regularly..

    >> Could you explain what do these options mean?

    > It means the half-ass Linux operating system is years behind Windows.

    Keep in mind, if a computer ships with Windows preinstalled, the
    manufacturers may have gone through the same tweaks to get it to work,
    as the Linux user would have to do.

  17. Re: Linux: nearly 6 months on, still no end in sight to the Ubuntu Gutsy freezing

    Ignoramus15568 writes:

    > On 2008-04-15, DFS wrote:
    >> Ignoramus30238 wrote:

    >>> Could you explain what do these options mean?

    >> It means the half-ass Linux operating system is years behind Windows.
    >>

    > Keep in mind, if a computer ships with Windows preinstalled, the
    > manufacturers may have gone through the same tweaks to get it to work,
    > as the Linux user would have to do.

    Keep in mind, that the user doesnt care. e.g it works and thats all that
    matters. The great majority of users will never even suss out how to use
    Synaptic, never mind fiddle with blacklisting kernel modules as root.

  18. Re: Linux: nearly 6 months on, still no end in sight to the Ubuntu Gutsy freezing

    On 2008-04-15, Hadron wrote:
    > Ignoramus15568 writes:

    >>> It means the half-ass Linux operating system is years behind Windows.
    >>>

    >> Keep in mind, if a computer ships with Windows preinstalled, the
    >> manufacturers may have gone through the same tweaks to get it to work,
    >> as the Linux user would have to do.

    > Keep in mind, that the user doesnt care. e.g it works and thats all that
    > matters. The great majority of users will never even suss out how to use
    > Synaptic, never mind fiddle with blacklisting kernel modules as root.

    Sure. But if, let's say, you reinstall Windows on a laptop, you may
    have to go through quite a bit of BS.

  19. Re: Linux: nearly 6 months on, still no end in sight to the Ubuntu Gutsy freezing

    Ignoramus15568 writes:

    > On 2008-04-15, Hadron wrote:
    >> Ignoramus15568 writes:

    >>> Keep in mind, if a computer ships with Windows preinstalled, the
    >>> manufacturers may have gone through the same tweaks to get it to work,
    >>> as the Linux user would have to do.

    >> Keep in mind, that the user doesnt care. e.g it works and thats all that
    >> matters. The great majority of users will never even suss out how to use
    >> Synaptic, never mind fiddle with blacklisting kernel modules as root.

    > Sure. But if, let's say, you reinstall Windows on a laptop, you may
    > have to go through quite a bit of BS.

    Sure. If you do. The rumours of reinstallations are greatly exaggerated
    in COLA as I suspect you know.

  20. Re: Linux: nearly 6 months on, still no end in sight to the Ubuntu Gutsy freezing

    On 2008-04-15, Hadron wrote:
    > Ignoramus15568 writes:

    >>> Keep in mind, that the user doesnt care. e.g it works and thats all that
    >>> matters. The great majority of users will never even suss out how to use
    >>> Synaptic, never mind fiddle with blacklisting kernel modules as root.

    >> Sure. But if, let's say, you reinstall Windows on a laptop, you may
    >> have to go through quite a bit of BS.

    > Sure. If you do. The rumours of reinstallations are greatly exaggerated
    > in COLA as I suspect you know.

    I would not know as I have not installed any Windows in a long time.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast