Linux: nearly 6 months on, still no end in sight to the Ubuntu Gutsy freezing - Linux

This is a discussion on Linux: nearly 6 months on, still no end in sight to the Ubuntu Gutsy freezing - Linux ; Kelsey Bjarnason writes: > [snips] > > On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 05:37:11 -0500, Rick wrote: > >>> Responsiveness: excellent >>> Stability: well, up nine days since last reboot, cant' be _that_ bad. >>> >> >> hmmm, mine has been ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 52 of 52

  1. Re: Linux: nearly 6 months on, still no end in sight to the Ubuntu Gutsy freezing

    Kelsey Bjarnason writes:

    > [snips]
    >
    > On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 05:37:11 -0500, Rick wrote:
    >
    >>> Responsiveness: excellent
    >>> Stability: well, up nine days since last reboot, cant' be _that_ bad.
    >>>

    >> hmmm, mine has been up 45 days. Not bad. I, too, am running Pan,
    >> Firefox, Skype, Pigeon, Apache, KMail, Synaptic as well as proftpd, and
    >> assorted other stuff.

    running firefox, skype, pigeon, kmail and synaptic? Hardly server stuff is it?

    Why on earth would you leave your home PC turned on for 45 days to read
    your email?

    > Yeah, nine days is hardly great, but my box doesn't have hot-swap IDE
    > onboard and I needed to mount an IDE drive to get the data off it.
    >
    > Uptime sometimes has to give way to getting things done.

    And we all know you get things done. God knows you tell us often enough

    "Ignore the forging nym-shifting troll who pretends to be chrisv! I'm the *REAL* chrisv!"
    chrisv, COLA.

  2. Re: Linux: nearly 6 months on, still no end in sight to the Ubuntu Gutsy freezing

    "DFS" wrote in

    > So where's the Gutsy fix after 6 months?

    Probably hanging out with the fix for the Vista super-slow network transfer
    issue that has been an issue for over a year now.

  3. Re: Linux: nearly 6 months on, still no end in sight to the UbuntuGutsy freezing

    DanS wrote:
    > "DFS" wrote in
    >
    >> So where's the Gutsy fix after 6 months?

    > Probably hanging out with the fix for the Vista super-slow network transfer
    > issue that has been an issue for over a year now.

    You'd think Gates and Shuttleworth would be more on the ball!

  4. Re: Linux: nearly 6 months on, still no end in sight to the Ubuntu Gutsy freezing

    DanS wrote:
    > "DFS" wrote in
    >
    >> So where's the Gutsy fix after 6 months?

    > Probably hanging out with the fix for the Vista super-slow network
    > transfer issue that has been an issue for over a year now.

    So, you have no clue.

  5. Re: Linux: nearly 6 months on, still no end in sight to the UbuntuGutsy freezing

    DanS wrote:

    "DFS" <nospam@dfs_.com> wrote in news:5bUMj.37489$r76.32297@bignews8.bellsouth.net:

    So where's the Gutsy fix after 6 months?

    It will be here in a couple of weeks.  It is called hardy heron

    Probably hanging out with the fix for the Vista super-slow network transfer issue that has been an issue for over a year now.

  6. Re: Linux: nearly 6 months on, still no end in sight to the Ubuntu Gutsy freezing

    "DFS" wrote in news:SgSNj.50669$vr3.9613
    @bignews2.bellsouth.net:

    > DanS wrote:
    >> "DFS" wrote in
    >>
    >>> So where's the Gutsy fix after 6 months?

    >> Probably hanging out with the fix for the Vista super-slow network
    >> transfer issue that has been an issue for over a year now.

    > So, you have no clue.

    On these matters ? ........No.

  7. Re: Linux: nearly 6 months on, still no end in sight to the UbuntuGutsy freezing

    On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 16:19:29 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > Kelsey Bjarnason writes:
    >
    >> [snips]

    >>> hmmm, mine has been up 45 days. Not bad. I, too, am running Pan,
    >>> Firefox, Skype, Pigeon, Apache, KMail, Synaptic as well as proftpd,
    >>> and assorted other stuff.

    > running firefox, skype, pigeon, kmail and synaptic? Hardly server stuff
    > is it?

    proftpd and apache are servers.

    > Why on earth would you leave your home PC turned on for 45 days to read
    > your email?

    Why not?

    >> Yeah, nine days is hardly great, but my box doesn't have hot-swap IDE
    >> onboard and I needed to mount an IDE drive to get the data off it.
    >>
    >> Uptime sometimes has to give way to getting things done.
    >>

    > And we all know you get things done. God knows you tell us often enough

    And we all know all you want to do is diss Linux/OSS/FOSS

    --
    Rick

  8. Re: Linux: nearly 6 months on, still no end in sight to the Ubuntu Gutsy freezing

    On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 22:02:25 -0500, Rick wrote:

    > On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 16:19:29 +0200, Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Kelsey Bjarnason writes:
    >>
    >>> [snips]

    >> running firefox, skype, pigeon, kmail and synaptic? Hardly server stuff
    >> is it?

    > proftpd and apache are servers.
    >

    >> Why on earth would you leave your home PC turned on for 45 days to read
    >> your email?

    > Why not?
    >

    >>> Yeah, nine days is hardly great, but my box doesn't have hot-swap IDE
    >>> onboard and I needed to mount an IDE drive to get the data off it.
    >>>
    >>> Uptime sometimes has to give way to getting things done.
    >>>

    >> And we all know you get things done. God knows you tell us often enough

    > And we all know all you want to do is diss Linux/OSS/FOSS

    And we all know that Quack doesn't want to do anything but maon & whine.
    He was even challenged to make a linux distro & show how it *should* be
    done, but guess what.....

    --
    This message was sent from a
    computer which is guaranteed

  9. Re: Linux: nearly 6 months on, still no end in sight to the Ubuntu Gutsy freezing

    So anyway, it was like, 14:00 CEST Apr 18 2008, you know? Oh, and, yeah,
    William Poaster was all like, "Dude,

    > He was even challenged to make a linux distro & show how it *should*
    > be done, but guess what.....

    It got pre-empted by the Committee For Selecting Proper And Approved
    Official Distributions?

    --
    Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana. Perth ---> *
    14:20:14 up 9 days, 1 min, 2 users, load average: 0.07, 0.02, 0.00

  10. Re: Linux: nearly 6 months on, still no end in sight to the Ubuntu Gutsy freezing

    * measekite peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > DanS wrote:
    > > cite="mid:Xns9A83CC09645E5thisnthatadelphianet@66.250.14 6.128"
    > type="cite">

    "DFS" <nospam@dfs_.com> wrote in

    So where's the Gutsy fix after 6 months?

    > It will be here in a couple of weeks.  It is called hardy heron

    > > cite="mid:Xns9A83CC09645E5thisnthatadelphianet@66.250.14 6.128"
    > type="cite">
    >

    > Probably hanging out with the fix for the Vista super-slow network transfer
    > issue that has been an issue for over a year now.

    Nice post, dude.

    --
    Just in terms of allocation of time resources, religion is not very
    efficient. There's a lot more I could be doing on a Sunday morning.

  11. Re: Linux: nearly 6 months on, still no end in sight to the Ubuntu Gutsy freezing

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Linonut

    wrote
    on Fri, 18 Apr 2008 08:47:41 -0400
    :
    > * measekite peremptorily fired off this memo:

    [snip HTMLGLob(tm) for brevity]

    > Nice post, dude.

    I thought I told him to fix that. :-P

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    fortune: not found

  12. Re: Linux: nearly 6 months on, still no end in sight to the UbuntuGutsy freezing

    [snips]

    On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 22:02:25 -0500, Rick wrote:

    >> Why on earth would you leave your home PC turned on for 45 days to read
    >> your email?

    > Why not?

    Indeed, why not? Aside from the power consumption issue. On the other
    hand, I don't know about you, but I leave mine up because I generally
    have it _doing_ things, not to simply sit there and be a mail machine.

    For example, my desktop machine is also my MythTV backend, meaning it is
    recording TV shows around the clock. When it's not doing that (actually,
    while it's doing that, just at a lessened CPU load) it's also cranking
    stuff for worldcommunitygrid - cancer research and the like. It's also
    the caching proxy for the home LAN, which significantly reduces network
    load. It's also the media share point for video and audio files. Plus,
    I access a lot of stuff on it from outside the home.

    Maybe some folks can only figure out how to get Windows to work as a mail
    machine, but my Linux boxen do a _few_ other jobs.

    >>> Yeah, nine days is hardly great, but my box doesn't have hot-swap IDE
    >>> onboard and I needed to mount an IDE drive to get the data off it.
    >>>
    >>> Uptime sometimes has to give way to getting things done.
    >>>

    >> And we all know you get things done. God knows you tell us often enough

    > And we all know all you want to do is diss Linux/OSS/FOSS

    Heh. Funny, ain't it? This is a Linux advocacy group, where one
    *expect* to see tales of things getting done with Linux - so he whines
    about it.

    Hey, if you don't like hearing how Linux can be used effectively, this is
    *not* the group for you. One has to wonder just how stupid one has to be
    not to be able to figure that out.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3