[News] Another Sub-$100 PC is Planned - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Another Sub-$100 PC is Planned - Linux ; India's take on the '$100 computer' gets U.S. venture funds ,----[ Quote ] | Novatium says that its machine costs about 500 rupees a month, including | Internet connectivity, software and hardware. That's about $12.44. `---- http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-978...=2547-1_3-0-20 It's likely to ...

  1. [News] Another Sub-$100 PC is Planned

    India's take on the '$100 computer' gets U.S. venture funds

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Novatium says that its machine costs about 500 rupees a month, including
    | Internet connectivity, software and hardware. That's about $12.44.
    `----

    It's likely to run Linux, of course.

    Related:

    HRD hopes to make $10 laptops a reality

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | So far, the cost of one laptop, after factoring in labour charges,
    | is coming to $47 but the ministry feels the price will come
    | down dramatically considering the fact that the demand would
    | be for one million laptops.
    `----

    http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/T...ow/1999849.cms

    Another $100 PC is here, but what is inside?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | NetPC comes with a monitor, keyboard, mouse, a Linux operating
    | system (and free open source software), an access device (for
    | accessing the Internet), and connects to a server over a local
    | area network and offers some free entertainment.
    `----

    http://www.hindustantimes.com/StoryP...t+is+inside%3f
    http://tinyurl.com/yoqabk

    Made in India PC for just about $100

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | While global computing giants like IBM and AMD are yet to give
    | shape to their ambitious plans for a computer that costs 100
    | dollars or less, an Indian company has already set its eyes on
    | 10 million potential customers with its up-and-running PC
    | priced at Rs 4,500 only.
    `----

    http://www.expressindia.com/fullstory.php?newsid=85690

    France caters to market for the most simple of computers

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | For e39.90, or $53.30 - a e10 premium over the price of most broadband
    | subscriptions in France - customers get a white computer roughly the size
    | and shape of a toaster. A one-time payment of e29 buys a keyboard, mouse
    | and camera; for e99 more, the customer can get a 14-inch color monitor.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | For the operating system, the computer uses a version of Linux with
    | a graphic overlay designed by Neuf.
    |
    | "The choice of open source was both for price and motivation,"
    | Charrier said. "We pay no licensing fee for the software, and
    | engineers feel motivated to work on a new kind of project that
    | helps the open-source community."
    `----

    http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/04/...ology/neuf.php

  2. Re: [News] Another Sub-$100 PC is Planned

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > India's take on the '$100 computer' gets U.S. venture funds
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| Novatium says that its machine costs about 500 rupees a month, including
    >| Internet connectivity, software and hardware. That's about $12.44.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-978...=2547-1_3-0-20
    >
    > It's likely to run Linux, of course.

    Naturally. The really excellent thing about this is that we will have
    multiple of these "sub £50" computers available. The potential for
    schools, hobbiest, clubs, academic use and so on is just incredible.

  3. Re: [News] Another Sub-$100 PC is Planned

    ____/ Mark Kent on Tuesday 25 September 2007 21:36 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >> India's take on the '$100 computer' gets U.S. venture funds
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| Novatium says that its machine costs about 500 rupees a month, including
    >>| Internet connectivity, software and hardware. That's about $12.44.
    >> `----

    >> It's likely to run Linux, of course.
    >>

    > Naturally. The really excellent thing about this is that we will have
    > multiple of these "sub £50" computers available. The potential for
    > schools, hobbiest, clubs, academic use and so on is just incredible.

    What I sometimes find incredible is that some of our 'fellow' shills fail to
    see why someone would want such a cheap PC for work. It's akin to "let them
    have cakes" because Redmond's troops cannot understand that most people are
    unable to afford Surface, let alone a $450 PC, which might require saving
    money _for years_.

    Linux opens doors.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Microsoft loves competition.
    "I?m thinking of hitting the OEMs harder than in the past with anti-Linux. ...
    they should do a delicate dance"
    --Joachim Kempin, Microsoft OEM Chief

  4. Re: [News] Another Sub-$100 PC is Planned

    wrote
    on Tue, 25 Sep 2007 22:19:37 +0100
    <2950218.Qyldb30nX1@schestowitz.com>:
    > ____/ Mark Kent on Tuesday 25 September 2007 21:36 : \____
    >
    >> Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >>> India's take on the '$100 computer' gets U.S. venture funds
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> `----
    >>>

    > http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-978...=2547-1_3-0-20
    >>>
    >>> It's likely to run Linux, of course.
    >>>

    >> Naturally. The really excellent thing about this is that we
    >> will have multiple of these "sub £50" computers available.
    >> The potential for schools, hobbiest, clubs, academic use and
    >> so on is just incredible.

    Not to mention kiosks, industrial controllers, and various
    other utility functions where ruggedness is a premium
    (no built-in damagable gyroscope! :-) )

    Granted, one probably wouldn't use laptops for those --
    but the motherboard could presumably be put in a different
    holder.

    > What I sometimes find incredible is that some of our 'fellow'
    > shills fail to see why someone would want such a cheap PC for
    > work. It's akin to "let them have cakes" because Redmond's
    > troops cannot understand that most people are unable to
    > afford Surface, let alone a $450 PC, which might require
    > saving money _for years_.
    >
    > Linux opens doors.

    And doesn't require Windows. (Hey, *someone* had to say it...)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C++ Programming Idea #889123:
    std::vector<...> v; for(int i = 0; i < v.size(); i++) v.erase(v.begin() + i);

  5. Re: [News] Another Sub-$100 PC is Planned

    ____/ The Ghost In The Machine on Wednesday 26 September 2007 00:38 : \____

    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Roy Schestowitz
    >
    > wrote
    > on Tue, 25 Sep 2007 22:19:37 +0100
    > <2950218.Qyldb30nX1@schestowitz.com>:
    >> ____/ Mark Kent on Tuesday 25 September 2007 21:36 : \____
    >>
    >>> Roy Schestowitz espoused:

    >>> Naturally. The really excellent thing about this is that we
    >>> will have multiple of these "sub £50" computers available.
    >>> The potential for schools, hobbiest, clubs, academic use and
    >>> so on is just incredible.

    > Not to mention kiosks, industrial controllers, and various
    > other utility functions where ruggedness is a premium
    > (no built-in damagable gyroscope! :-) )
    >
    > Granted, one probably wouldn't use laptops for those --
    > but the motherboard could presumably be put in a different
    > holder.
    >

    >> What I sometimes find incredible is that some of our 'fellow'
    >> shills fail to see why someone would want such a cheap PC for
    >> work. It's akin to "let them have cakes" because Redmond's
    >> troops cannot understand that most people are unable to
    >> afford Surface, let alone a $450 PC, which might require
    >> saving money _for years_.
    >>
    >> Linux opens doors.
    >>

    > And doesn't require Windows. (Hey, *someone* had to say it...)

    It depends. Many people require Windows in order to use Linux. You know, they
    need something with which to obtain the ISO, burn a Linux CD, and then rewrite
    the hard-drive. ;-)

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Free software is what's left and what's also right
    05:00:02 up 16 days, 3:06, 5 users, load average: 2.52, 3.19, 2.69

  6. Re: [News] Another Sub-$100 PC is Planned

    wrote
    on Wed, 26 Sep 2007 05:03:30 +0100
    <1503907.NCHd54ftNC@schestowitz.com>:
    > ____/ The Ghost In The Machine on Wednesday 26 September 2007 00:38 : \____
    >
    >> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Roy Schestowitz
    >>
    >> wrote
    >> on Tue, 25 Sep 2007 22:19:37 +0100
    >> <2950218.Qyldb30nX1@schestowitz.com>:
    >>> ____/ Mark Kent on Tuesday 25 September 2007 21:36 : \____

    > http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-978...=2547-1_3-0-20

    >> Not to mention kiosks, industrial controllers, and various
    >> other utility functions where ruggedness is a premium
    >> (no built-in damagable gyroscope! :-) )
    >>
    >> Granted, one probably wouldn't use laptops for those --
    >> but the motherboard could presumably be put in a different
    >> holder.
    >>

    >>> What I sometimes find incredible is that some of our 'fellow'
    >>> shills fail to see why someone would want such a cheap PC for
    >>> work. It's akin to "let them have cakes" because Redmond's
    >>> troops cannot understand that most people are unable to
    >>> afford Surface, let alone a $450 PC, which might require
    >>> saving money _for years_.
    >>>
    >>> Linux opens doors.
    >>>

    >> And doesn't require Windows. (Hey, *someone* had to say it...)

    > It depends. Many people require Windows in order to use Linux.
    > You know, they need something with which to obtain the ISO,
    > burn a Linux CD, and then rewrite the hard-drive. ;-)

    Considering the saturation of the home PC market, that's
    probably not a big worry. In my case I have no less than
    4 PCs in varying degrees of disorder, and two functional
    Amigas to boot. (It might actually be more but I've not
    tried the 2000s lately. It's a long story.)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Linux. Because life's too short for a buggy OS.