The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Matt
>
> wrote
> on Tue, 15 Apr 2008 00:04:36 GMT
> :
>> Hadron wrote:

>>> Sure, because an install base of more than 20x that of Linux is a sure
>>> sign of failure.
>>>
>>> http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.aspx?qprid=10
>>>
>>> You guys!

>> Funny, this other place says that Vista usage is only 3 1/2 times that
>> of Linux.
>>
>> 6.93/2.02 == 3.43
>>
>> http://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php
>>
>> Why do you believe one and not the other and endlessly repeat the 0.61%
>> number?

> Both stats are not all that useful. Where is the
> elimination of bias, in what is essentially a self-selected
> survey? How does one define "use"? Not all desktops
> browse the Web, and I rather doubt many of them have even
> heard of the w3counter website.
>
> In any event, XP trumps both Vista and Linux at the moment.
>
> W3counter:
>
> XP: 78.78%
> Vista: 6.93
> OSX: 4.91
> W2k: 3.20
> Linux: 2.02
> Win98: 1.01
> Win2003: 0.72
> WinME: 0.37
> WinNT: 0.05
> WAP: 0.03
>
> hitslink:
>
> XP: 73.59%
> Vista: 14.02
> MacIntel: 4.54
> MacOS: 2.94
> Win2k: 2.36
> WinNT: 0.62
> Linux: 0.61
> Win98: 0.58
> WinME: 0.32
> iPhone: 0.15
> WinCE: 0.06
> iPod: 0.04
> Pike: 0.03
>
> Clearly the two are using different reporting methods and
> getting different results; both are therefore suspect
> absent more data,

It is even worse than that for the hitslink site. On this thread:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp....66001cd2d899de
> New Marketshare Numbers - OSX 7.57% / Linux 0.67%
> Feb 1, 3:16 pm

you can see that hitslink was reporting 0.67% "Market Share" for Linux
for January 2008. But look at the January 2008 numbers as hitslink is
now reporting them.

http://marketshare.hitslink.com/repo...ame=M&qpsp=108
(((((
> Operating System Total Market Share
> Windows XP 75.10%
> Windows Vista 11.97%
> MacIntel 4.31%
> Mac OS 3.26%
> Windows 2000 2.71%
> Windows 98 0.66%
> Linux 0.64%
> Windows NT 0.62%
> Windows ME 0.36%
> iPhone 0.13%
> Windows CE 0.06%
> iPod 0.04%
> Pike 0.02%
> Windows 95 0.02%
> PSP 0.02%
> Hiptop 0.02%

)))))

That's right: Now they are reporting that Linux had 0.64% "Market
Share" in January 2008, whereas on February 1 they were reporting that
Linux had 0.67% "Market Share" in January 2008.

I don't see that they have explained the discrepancy anywhere. These
numbers are not "Market Share[s]" anyway---if anything, they are usage
shares.