Vista ME a bust... - Linux

This is a discussion on Vista ME a bust... - Linux ; On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 04:01:00 +0200, OK wrote: >On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 16:41:36 +0100, "Cork Soaker" > wrote: >> >>"Matt" wrote in message >>news:9fpMj.1541$NU2.1345@news01.roc.ny... >>: RonB wrote: >>: > ...let the Windows 7 Vapoware annoucements begin. >>: > ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 61

  1. Re: Vista ME a bust...

    On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 04:01:00 +0200, OK wrote:
    >On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 16:41:36 +0100, "Cork Soaker"
    > wrote:

    >>"Matt" wrote in message
    >>: RonB wrote:
    >>: > ...let the Windows 7 Vapoware annoucements begin.
    >>: >
    >>: > "Oh, it'll be so much leaner and flexible... it could be released as
    >>early
    >>: > as next year!"
    >>:
    >>: It seems likely that MS is writing off Vista---that they don't want
    >>: people switching to Vista and being disillusioned by it---that they want
    >>: to give it a quiet decline and death without admitting what a mistake it
    >>: was---that preventing the disillusionment is to prevent defections to
    >>: Mac and Linux, especially by large IT operations. All of that would
    >>: imply that MS will keep issuing new XP licenses until Windows 7 is
    >>: established.
    >>
    >>If a car had serious issues, they would recall it. Why don't they just take
    >>Vista off the shelves?

    >Because it's by far the best ever selling OS?

    another lie. Vista doesn't sell. It is bundled.

  2. Re: Vista ME a bust...

    On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 04:02:22 +0200, OK wrote:
    >On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 15:10:43 -0500, RonB
    >wrote:

    >>Matt wrote:
    >>
    >>> It seems likely that MS is writing off Vista---that they don't want
    >>> people switching to Vista and being disillusioned by it---that they want
    >>> to give it a quiet decline and death without admitting what a mistake it
    >>> was---that preventing the disillusionment is to prevent defections to
    >>> Mac and Linux, especially by large IT operations. *All of that would
    >>> imply that MS will keep issuing new XP licenses until Windows 7 is
    >>> established.

    >>Yep. Any time now we'll be releasing a version Windows that actually works.

    >Vista, unlike Linux, already works for more than 140 million people...

    Must be some new definition of work that I've never heard before.

    Work \Work\ (w[^u]rk), n. [OE. work, werk, weorc, AS. weorc,
    worc; akin to OFries. werk, wirk, OS., D., & G. werk, OHG.
    werc, werah, Icel. & Sw. verk, Dan. v[ae]rk, Goth.
    gawa['u]rki, Gr. 'e`rgon, [digamma]e`rgon, work, "re`zein to
    do, 'o`rganon an instrument, 'o`rgia secret rites, Zend verez
    to work. [root]145. Cf. Bulwark, Energy, Erg,
    Georgic, Liturgy, Metallurgy, Organ, Orgy,
    Surgeon, Wright.]
    [1913 Webster]

    10. Capable of being installed onto a PC without the PC vomiting it out.

  3. Re: Vista ME a bust...

    On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 08:21:05 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > RonB wrote:
    >> OK wrote:

    >>> ..but what other OS ever sold at a rate of ~2.5 million copies per
    >>> weeks, 64 weeks in a row (and counting)?

    >> Only problem is, it's not selling on merit.

    > That's what Linux lusers have to tell themselves to cover the embarrassment
    > that Vista is far more widely used and liked than the amateur-hour
    > "operating system".
    >
    > 14 months of general availability = 14% Vista adoption
    > 14 years of general availability = 0.6% Linux adoption
    >
    > You cheapos have had enough time now - deepsix the slop.

    You should put that one in your signature!
    Hysterical, and true.

    >> And a lot of people who had Vista ME
    >> foisted on them, have gotten rid of it.

    > How many is a "lot" WRonG?

    As a percentage it can't possibly be as many as those who have bought the
    Eee and then ditched Linux for Windows.

    >> And those who haven't gotten rid of it, it's because
    >> they feel they don't have any choice.

    > Linux certainly is no choice.

    Sure it is.
    All the choices are defective though.

    >> The question you should be asking is what other monopoly has foisted
    >> such crap on their helpless OEM customers?

    > Another victim? You whiners are like the battered women of the tech world.

    "But I love him" sob sob sob!
    (as she is getting her teeth knocked out by her husband).
    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  4. Re: Vista ME a bust...

    Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    > "But I love him" sob sob sob!
    > (as she is getting her teeth knocked out by her husband).

    "Linux I'll always luv U - no matter how much you crash and freeze up on me
    and lose my work and waste my time!!!"

  5. Re: Vista ME a bust...

    * William Poaster peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 02:39:00 -0500, RonB wrote:
    >
    >> OK wrote:
    >>
    >>> Face it, Vista is selling like no OS before,

    >> Face it, Vista ME is crap -- that's why Dell and several computer makers
    >> had to force Micro$haft to continue licensing XP.
    >>
    >> Them's the facts -- accept it -- get on with your life.

    > He's right though, Vista *is* selling like no other Windoze before. In
    > fact it's selling SO badly that the UK retail group, DSG, have blamed
    > Microsoft's Vista for 20 million ($39million) in lost profits.

    Now now William, you'll only confuse the little Windows shaver.

    --
    It's possible, you can never know, that the universe exists only for me. If so,
    it's sure going well for me, I must admit.

  6. Re: Vista ME a bust...

    * Sinister Midget peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > On 2008-04-14, RonB claimed:
    >
    >> But what is really telling is Bill Gates claiming that "Windows 7" is just
    >> over the horizon. Why would Bill Gates be touting vaporware already if
    >> Vista ME was such a success?
    >>
    >> Answer: He wouldn't.

    > A bigger question is, if Bill Gates has departed Micro$oft, why is he
    > still out shilling for them and playing chief spiritual guru?
    >
    > Answer: He's lying about that, too. Just as he lies about his
    > "philanthropy" and the purpose of the Bill & Missy Gates Tax Shelter
    > Emporium and Traveling Midget Rodeo.

    St. Bill:

    http://uk.gizmodo.com/bill%20gates.jpg

    --
    Microsoft has had clear competitors in the past. It's a good thing we have
    museums to document that.

  7. Re: Vista ME a bust...

    On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 10:02:45 -0400, Linonut wrote:
    >* Sinister Midget peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >> On 2008-04-14, RonB claimed:
    >>
    >>> But what is really telling is Bill Gates claiming that "Windows 7" is just
    >>> over the horizon. Why would Bill Gates be touting vaporware already if
    >>> Vista ME was such a success?
    >>>
    >>> Answer: He wouldn't.

    >> A bigger question is, if Bill Gates has departed Micro$oft, why is he
    >> still out shilling for them and playing chief spiritual guru?
    >>
    >> Answer: He's lying about that, too. Just as he lies about his
    >> "philanthropy" and the purpose of the Bill & Missy Gates Tax Shelter
    >> Emporium and Traveling Midget Rodeo.

    >St. Bill:

    > http://uk.gizmodo.com/bill%20gates.jpg

    actually that was him rubbing his hands together about to say
    "BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!" after buying another competitor's company, not
    to steal the technology, but simply to put them out of business for good.

  8. Re: Vista ME a bust...

    Matt wrote:

    >It seems likely that MS is writing off Vista---that they don't want
    >people switching to Vista and being disillusioned by it---that they want
    >to give it a quiet decline and death without admitting what a mistake it
    >was---that preventing the disillusionment is to prevent defections to
    >Mac and Linux, especially by large IT operations. All of that would
    >imply that MS will keep issuing new XP licenses until Windows 7 is
    >established.

    What about the driver model and such going foward, I wonder...

  9. Re: Vista ME a bust...

    : >If a car had serious issues, they would recall it. Why don't they just
    take
    : >Vista off the shelves?
    :
    :
    : Because it's by far the best ever selling OS?

    It's not selling off the shelf, retard.

  10. Re: Vista ME a bust...

    Verily I say unto thee, that chrisv spake thusly:

    > What about the driver model and such going foward, I wonder...

    They change that every five minutes, so it's not like it makes any
    difference anyway, I mean it's not as if there are that many Vista
    drivers to start with. They'll probably continue with the current
    paradigm of TrustUp Computing garbage though, so Windows users can
    look forward to the same headaches they currently have with Vista.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    `----

    23:19:18 up 115 days, 19:55, 4 users, load average: 0.00, 0.01, 0.00

  11. Re: Vista ME a bust...

    On 2008-04-14, Linonut claimed:
    > * Sinister Midget peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> On 2008-04-14, RonB claimed:
    >>
    >>> But what is really telling is Bill Gates claiming that "Windows 7" is just
    >>> over the horizon. Why would Bill Gates be touting vaporware already if
    >>> Vista ME was such a success?
    >>>
    >>> Answer: He wouldn't.

    >> A bigger question is, if Bill Gates has departed Micro$oft, why is he
    >> still out shilling for them and playing chief spiritual guru?
    >>
    >> Answer: He's lying about that, too. Just as he lies about his
    >> "philanthropy" and the purpose of the Bill & Missy Gates Tax Shelter
    >> Emporium and Traveling Midget Rodeo.

    > St. Bill:
    >
    > http://uk.gizmodo.com/bill%20gates.jpg

    That must have been taken about the time he found out his "charitable"
    tax shelter was invested in killing kids in Africa.

    --
    Conformity constipates creativity!

  12. Re: Vista ME a bust...

    On 2008-04-13, Matt claimed:
    > RonB wrote:
    >> ...let the Windows 7 Vapoware annoucements begin.
    >>
    >> "Oh, it'll be so much leaner and flexible... it could be released as early
    >> as next year!"

    > It seems likely that MS is writing off Vista---that they don't want
    > people switching to Vista and being disillusioned by it---that they want
    > to give it a quiet decline and death without admitting what a mistake it
    > was---that preventing the disillusionment is to prevent defections to
    > Mac and Linux, especially by large IT operations. All of that would
    > imply that MS will keep issuing new XP licenses until Windows 7 is
    > established.

    IOW, they want to hide the evidence the way they tried to do with ME1.

    --
    Even optimists have a 100% mortality rate.

  13. Re: Vista ME a bust...

    Sinister Midget writes:

    > On 2008-04-14, Linonut claimed:
    >> * Sinister Midget peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >>
    >>> On 2008-04-14, RonB claimed:

    >>> A bigger question is, if Bill Gates has departed Micro$oft, why is he
    >>> still out shilling for them and playing chief spiritual guru?
    >>>
    >>> Answer: He's lying about that, too. Just as he lies about his
    >>> "philanthropy" and the purpose of the Bill & Missy Gates Tax Shelter
    >>> Emporium and Traveling Midget Rodeo.

    >> St. Bill:
    >>
    >> http://uk.gizmodo.com/bill%20gates.jpg

    > That must have been taken about the time he found out his "charitable"
    > tax shelter was invested in killing kids in Africa.

    Some of you really are the scum of the earth. Embittered little wannabes
    who despise other peoples success and willing to knock anyone and
    anything regardless of the good they might do. Shame on you.

  14. Re: Vista ME a bust...

    Sinister Midget writes:

    > On 2008-04-13, Matt claimed:
    >> RonB wrote:
    >>> ...let the Windows 7 Vapoware annoucements begin.
    >>>
    >>> "Oh, it'll be so much leaner and flexible... it could be released as early
    >>> as next year!"

    >> It seems likely that MS is writing off Vista---that they don't want
    >> people switching to Vista and being disillusioned by it---that they want
    >> to give it a quiet decline and death without admitting what a mistake it
    >> was---that preventing the disillusionment is to prevent defections to
    >> Mac and Linux, especially by large IT operations. All of that would
    >> imply that MS will keep issuing new XP licenses until Windows 7 is
    >> established.

    > IOW, they want to hide the evidence the way they tried to do with ME1.

    Sure, because an install base of more than 20x that of Linux is a sure
    sign of failure.

    http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.aspx?qprid=10

    You guys!

  15. Re: Vista ME a bust...

    Hadron wrote:
    > Sinister Midget writes:

    >>> It seems likely that MS is writing off Vista---that they don't want
    >>> people switching to Vista and being disillusioned by it---that they want
    >>> to give it a quiet decline and death without admitting what a mistake it
    >>> was---that preventing the disillusionment is to prevent defections to
    >>> Mac and Linux, especially by large IT operations. All of that would
    >>> imply that MS will keep issuing new XP licenses until Windows 7 is
    >>> established.

    >> IOW, they want to hide the evidence the way they tried to do with ME1.

    > Sure, because an install base of more than 20x that of Linux is a sure
    > sign of failure.
    >
    > http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.aspx?qprid=10
    >
    > You guys!

    Funny, this other place says that Vista usage is only 3 1/2 times that
    of Linux.

    6.93/2.02 == 3.43

    http://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php

    Why do you believe one and not the other and endlessly repeat the 0.61%
    number?

  16. Re: Vista ME a bust...

    Matt writes:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >> Sinister Midget writes:
    >>
    >>> On 2008-04-13, Matt claimed:

    >>> IOW, they want to hide the evidence the way they tried to do with ME1.

    >> Sure, because an install base of more than 20x that of Linux is a sure
    >> sign of failure.
    >>
    >> http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.aspx?qprid=10
    >>
    >> You guys!

    > Funny, this other place says that Vista usage is only 3 1/2 times that
    > of Linux.
    >
    > 6.93/2.02 == 3.43
    >
    > http://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php
    >
    > Why do you believe one and not the other and endlessly repeat the
    > 0.61% number?

    I dont endlessly repeat it. I believe it to be just under about 1% as
    reported by the BBC to be honest.

    You're starting to become unhinged and seeing conspiracy in everything.

    --
    - "Thats what I have been saying for 5 years. Consumers are tired, they
    want something new and more exciting."

  17. Re: Vista ME a bust...

    Hadron wrote:
    > Matt writes:
    >
    >> Hadron wrote:

    >>> Sure, because an install base of more than 20x that of Linux is a sure
    >>> sign of failure.
    >>>
    >>> http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.aspx?qprid=10
    >>>
    >>> You guys!

    >> Funny, this other place says that Vista usage is only 3 1/2 times that
    >> of Linux.
    >>
    >> 6.93/2.02 == 3.43
    >>
    >> http://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php
    >>
    >> Why do you believe one and not the other and endlessly repeat the
    >> 0.61% number?

    > I dont endlessly repeat it. I believe it to be just under about 1% as
    > reported by the BBC to be honest.
    >
    > You're starting to become unhinged and seeing conspiracy in everything.

    Oh, sorry if I was mistaken---you can understand that all you Linux
    deniers begin to sound alike after awhile ... so I suppose you'll start
    giving equal play to the w3counter stats.

  18. Re: Vista ME a bust...

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Matt

    wrote
    on Tue, 15 Apr 2008 00:04:36 GMT
    :
    > Hadron wrote:
    >> Sinister Midget writes:
    >>
    >>> On 2008-04-13, Matt claimed:

    >>> IOW, they want to hide the evidence the way they tried to do with ME1.

    >> Sure, because an install base of more than 20x that of Linux is a sure
    >> sign of failure.
    >>
    >> http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.aspx?qprid=10
    >>
    >> You guys!

    > Funny, this other place says that Vista usage is only 3 1/2 times that
    > of Linux.
    >
    > 6.93/2.02 == 3.43
    >
    > http://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php
    >
    > Why do you believe one and not the other and endlessly repeat the 0.61%
    > number?

    Both stats are not all that useful. Where is the
    elimination of bias, in what is essentially a self-selected
    survey? How does one define "use"? Not all desktops
    browse the Web, and I rather doubt many of them have even
    heard of the w3counter website.

    In any event, XP trumps both Vista and Linux at the moment.

    W3counter:

    XP: 78.78%
    Vista: 6.93
    OSX: 4.91
    W2k: 3.20
    Linux: 2.02
    Win98: 1.01
    Win2003: 0.72
    WinME: 0.37
    WinNT: 0.05
    WAP: 0.03

    hitslink:

    XP: 73.59%
    Vista: 14.02
    MacIntel: 4.54
    MacOS: 2.94
    Win2k: 2.36
    WinNT: 0.62
    Linux: 0.61
    Win98: 0.58
    WinME: 0.32
    iPhone: 0.15
    WinCE: 0.06
    iPod: 0.04
    Pike: 0.03

    Clearly the two are using different reporting methods and
    getting different results; both are therefore suspect
    absent more data, except perhaps for some obvious
    conclusions. For example: there are more XP users out
    there than Linux and Vista (combined, even, with Win98
    and OSX thrown in for good measure!).

    One also notes that iPhone and iPod are not desktops, and
    I doubt WinCE is. I know nothing of Pike; there are a few
    other entries in hitslink as well such as "Hiptop" that
    I'd have to research.

    Go fig.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C++ Programming Idea #23291:
    void f(item *p) { if(p != 0) delete p; }

  19. Re: Vista ME a bust...

    "7" schreef in bericht
    news:BxoMj.7210$yD2.5349@text.news.virginmedia.com ...

    http://boycottnovell.com/wp-content/...er-license.png
    --
    NetKKKop, NetK00k, NetL00n and King of All Retards, "7" AKA Joseph Michael,
    Administrative Contact:

  20. Re: Vista ME a bust...

    Moshe Goldfarb is flatfish (aka: Gary Stewart)

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic