6 months ago: Microsoft shows off leaner kernel for Windows 7 - Linux

This is a discussion on 6 months ago: Microsoft shows off leaner kernel for Windows 7 - Linux ; Little Billy wrote: >> The Linux users are total hypocrites... > > No, they're just penniless losers and wackos. They're the sort who vote > for Lyndon Larouche and think "global warming" and that tidal wave in > Indonesia were ...

  1. Re: 6 months ago: Microsoft shows off leaner kernel for Windows 7

    Little Billy wrote:

    >> The Linux users are total hypocrites...

    > No, they're just penniless losers and wackos. They're the sort who vote
    > for Lyndon Larouche and think "global warming" and that tidal wave in
    > Indonesia were manufactured by big business. Linux is like a cult to them
    > and their lives revolve around it.

    All this abuse because we won't join your Bill Gates' ass kissing cult. Give
    it a rest.

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  2. Re: 6 months ago: Microsoft shows off leaner kernel for Windows 7

    Little Billy wrote:

    > Yep, cheap and built to stay that way *haha

    Ah, the WinTroll. A moron and proud of it.

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  3. Re: 6 months ago: Microsoft shows off leaner kernel for Windows 7

    Little Billy wrote:
    > "Moshe Goldfarb" wrote in message

    >>> What a [H]uge [L]iar.

    >> Yep....
    >> Mark Kent says the same thing yet by day he is a Microsoft partner!!
    >>
    >> The Linux users are total hypocrites...

    > No, they're just penniless losers and wackos. They're the sort who vote for
    > Lyndon Larouche and think "global warming" and that tidal wave in Indonesia
    > were manufactured by big business. Linux is like a cult to them and their
    > lives revolve around it. Perhaps because they have no real lives.They're
    > like the Jehovah Witnesses of the computer world . Why else would they come
    > on unrelated groups where they're not wanted and try to "convert" people to
    > Linux?

    Mr. Goldfarb started the cross-posting of this subthread.

    > If I had some sort of superior technology I'd keep it to myself )

    Not if it became more valuable by giving it away, and you were able to
    recognize that and grasp that concept.

    >> --
    >> Moshe Goldfarb
    >> Collector of soaps from around the globe.
    >> Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    >> http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  4. Re: 6 months ago: Microsoft shows off leaner kernel for Windows 7

    Matt writes:

    > Little Billy wrote:
    >> "Moshe Goldfarb" wrote in message

    >>> Yep....
    >>> Mark Kent says the same thing yet by day he is a Microsoft partner!!
    >>>
    >>> The Linux users are total hypocrites...

    >> No, they're just penniless losers and wackos. They're the sort who
    >> vote for Lyndon Larouche and think "global warming" and that tidal
    >> wave in Indonesia were manufactured by big business. Linux is like a
    >> cult to them and their lives revolve around it. Perhaps because they
    >> have no real lives.They're like the Jehovah Witnesses of the
    >> computer world . Why else would they come on unrelated groups where
    >> they're not wanted and try to "convert" people to Linux?

    > Mr. Goldfarb started the cross-posting of this subthread.
    >

    >> If I had some sort of superior technology I'd keep it to myself )

    > Not if it became more valuable by giving it away, and you were able to
    > recognize that and grasp that concept.

    Are you receiving treatment for humour impairment?

  5. Re: 6 months ago: Microsoft shows off leaner kernel for Windows 7

    You wrote to Homer:
    > Seriously, where do you get off with this personal and rather creepy
    > campaign against someone you have never met and are unlikely ever to do
    > so? "Sweaty the Impaler"? You sound like you're some kind of psychotic
    > stalker.

  6. Re: 6 months ago: Microsoft shows off leaner kernel for Windows 7

    Matt writes:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >> Matt writes:

    >>> Mr. Goldfarb started the cross-posting of this subthread.

    >>> Not if it became more valuable by giving it away, and you were able to
    >>> recognize that and grasp that concept.
    >>>

    >> Are you receiving treatment for humour impairment?

    > You wrote to Homer:
    >> Seriously, where do you get off with this personal and rather creepy
    >> campaign against someone you have never met and are unlikely ever to do
    >> so? "Sweaty the Impaler"? You sound like you're some kind of psychotic
    >> stalker.

    Yes. And your point is?

    Anyway, back to my question, but rephrased : "Did you miss the humour in
    his post?".

  7. Re: 6 months ago: Microsoft shows off leaner kernel for Windows 7

    Hadron wrote:
    > Matt writes:
    >
    >> Hadron wrote:

    >>> Are you receiving treatment for humour impairment?

    >> You wrote to Homer:
    >>> Seriously, where do you get off with this personal and rather creepy
    >>> campaign against someone you have never met and are unlikely ever to do
    >>> so? "Sweaty the Impaler"? You sound like you're some kind of psychotic
    >>> stalker.

    > Yes. And your point is?
    >
    > Anyway, back to my question, but rephrased : "Did you miss the humour in
    > his post?".

    Oh, I didn't get the meaning of your question about "receiving
    treatment". Ha ha ha ha ha ha---very funny---good one. But I still
    don't get the other "humour". Maybe you mean that smiley at the end of
    a string of insults and nonsense. Yeah, that thing is funny, now that
    you point it out.

  8. Re: 6 months ago: Microsoft shows off leaner kernel for Windows 7

    Matt writes:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >> Matt writes:

    >> Yes. And your point is?
    >>
    >> Anyway, back to my question, but rephrased : "Did you miss the humour in
    >> his post?".

    > Oh, I didn't get the meaning of your question about "receiving
    > treatment". Ha ha ha ha ha ha---very funny---good one. But I still
    > don't get the other "humour". Maybe you mean that smiley at the end
    > of a string of insults and nonsense. Yeah, that thing is funny, now
    > that you point it out.

    String of insults? Huh? WTF are you talking about?

    This was humour/sarcasm whatever way you want to take it:

    "If I had some sort of superior technology I'd keep it to myself )"

    Easy enough.

  9. Re: 6 months ago: Microsoft shows off leaner kernel for Windows 7

    * RonB peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Little Billy wrote:
    >
    >> Yep, cheap and built to stay that way *haha

    > Ah, the WinTroll. A moron and proud of it.

    Funny. I thought he was talking about Windows.

    --
    The obvious mathematical breakthrough would be development of an easy way to
    factor large prime numbers.

  10. Re: 6 months ago: Microsoft shows off leaner kernel for Windows 7

    * Little Billy peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >> The Linux users are total hypocrites...

    > No, they're just penniless losers and wackos. They're the sort who vote for
    > Lyndon Larouche and think "global warming" and that tidal wave in Indonesia
    > were manufactured by big business. Linux is like a cult to them and their
    > lives revolve around it.

    Linux a cult? You want to see a /real/ Scientology-style cult? Here ya
    go:

    Evangelism Is War

    Our mission is to establish Microsoft's platforms as the de facto
    standards throughout the computer industry. Our enemies are the
    vendors of platforms that compete with ours: Netscape, Sun, IBM,
    Oracle, Lotus, etc. The field of battle is the software industry.
    Success is measured in shipping applications. Every line of code that
    is written to our standards is a small victory; every line of code
    that is written to any other standard, is a small defeat. Total
    victory, for DRG, is the universal adoption of our standards by
    developers, as this is an important step towards total victory for
    Microsoft itself: "A computer on every desk and in every home,
    running Microsoft software."

    Our weapons are psychological, economic, and political -- not
    military. No one is forced to adopt our standards at the barrel of a
    gun. We can only convince, not compel. Those who adopt our standards
    do so as a rational decision to serve their own ends, whatever those
    may be. It is our job to ensure that those choosing an operating
    system are presented with an overwhelming abundance of evidence and
    reasoned argument in favor of our standards -- so overwhelming that
    the choice of our standards seems obvious, or (ideally) that the
    developer is not even aware that a decision was faced, and a choice
    made.

    You can read the whole sordid primer, including some emails, yourself,
    at the link above. It's not as innocent sounding as the second
    paragraph above.

    Scientology or Amway? You decide.

    > Perhaps because they have no real lives.They're
    > like the Jehovah Witnesses of the computer world . Why else would they come
    > on unrelated groups where they're not wanted and try to "convert" people to
    > Linux?

    We don't. It's deranged trolls such as the one you responded to, "Moshe
    Goldfarb" (he adopted the name of a Sobibor concentration-camp survivor,
    it seems), who deliberately cross-post between Windows/Linux groups to
    watch us fight, the way a perverse little kid puts ants and bees in a
    jar.

    --
    There are no significant bugs in our released software that any significant
    number of users want fixed.

  11. Re: 6 months ago: Microsoft shows off leaner kernel for Windows 7

    Matt wrote:

    >Hadron quacked:
    >> Are you receiving treatment for humour impairment?

    >You wrote to Homer:
    >> Seriously, where do you get off with this personal and rather creepy
    >> campaign against someone you have never met and are unlikely ever to do
    >> so? "Sweaty the Impaler"? You sound like you're some kind of psychotic
    >> stalker.

    Hadron the hypocrite. What an asshole.

  12. Re: 6 months ago: Microsoft shows off leaner kernel for Windows 7

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Hadron

    wrote
    on Sat, 12 Apr 2008 22:41:45 +0200
    :
    > Jerry McBride writes:
    >
    >> Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    >>> Coming from a Linux user this is quite a statement..................
    >>>

    >> Oh yeah? Are you able to compare linux source code to windows source code???
    >> I thought not...

    > And the last time you compared kernel source code Jerry?
    >
    > Most of the decent OSS is also available for Windows - source code,
    > warts and all.

    Unless one can say different, I'd say *ALL* OSS is available for
    Windows, at least at the application level.

    (This may be because all OSS is buildable under Cygwin. But it
    is available.)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C++ Programming Idea #889123:
    std::vector<...> v; for(int i = 0; i < v.size(); i++) v.erase(v.begin() + i);

  13. Re: 6 months ago: Microsoft shows off leaner kernel for Windows 7

    The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Hadron
    >
    > wrote
    > on Sat, 12 Apr 2008 22:41:45 +0200
    > :
    >> Jerry McBride writes:

    >>> Oh yeah? Are you able to compare linux source code to windows source code???
    >>> I thought not...

    >> And the last time you compared kernel source code Jerry?
    >>
    >> Most of the decent OSS is also available for Windows - source code,
    >> warts and all.
    >>

    > Unless one can say different, I'd say *ALL* OSS is available for
    > Windows, at least at the application level.
    >
    > (This may be because all OSS is buildable under Cygwin. But it
    > is available.)

    Cygwin and WINE don't cut it for most people. The only practical way to
    break the monopoly and make the OS sufficiently irrelevant is by
    building good cross-OS and web-based apps.

  14. Re: 6 months ago: Microsoft shows off leaner kernel for Windows 7

    "Matt" wrote in message
    > The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Hadron
    >>
    >> wrote
    >> on Sat, 12 Apr 2008 22:41:45 +0200
    >> :

    >>> And the last time you compared kernel source code Jerry?
    >>>
    >>> Most of the decent OSS is also available for Windows - source code,
    >>> warts and all.
    >>>

    >> Unless one can say different, I'd say *ALL* OSS is available for
    >> Windows, at least at the application level.
    >>
    >> (This may be because all OSS is buildable under Cygwin. But it
    >> is available.)

    > Cygwin and WINE don't cut it for most people. The only practical way to
    > break the monopoly and make the OS sufficiently irrelevant is by building
    > good cross-OS and web-based apps.

    Congratulations. Add Cygwin to the list of things you know absolutely
    nothing about. Cygwin and WINE are completely different.

    WINE is used to run Windows applications on linux.

    Cygwin doesn't attempt to run linux apps. Cygwin runs Cygwin apps natively.
    It's more comparable to something like the GTK toolkit.

  15. Re: 6 months ago: Microsoft shows off leaner kernel for Windows 7

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Ezekiel

    wrote
    on Mon, 14 Apr 2008 20:25:29 -0400
    <13ee3$4803f5fa$16189@news.teranews.com>:

    > "Matt" wrote in message
    >> The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Hadron
    >>>
    >>> wrote
    >>> on Sat, 12 Apr 2008 22:41:45 +0200
    >>> :

    >>> Unless one can say different, I'd say *ALL* OSS is available for
    >>> Windows, at least at the application level.
    >>>
    >>> (This may be because all OSS is buildable under Cygwin. But it
    >>> is available.)

    >> Cygwin and WINE don't cut it for most people. The only practical way to
    >> break the monopoly and make the OS sufficiently irrelevant is by building
    >> good cross-OS and web-based apps.

    > Congratulations. Add Cygwin to the list of things you know absolutely
    > nothing about. Cygwin and WINE are completely different.
    >
    > WINE is used to run Windows applications on linux.
    >
    > Cygwin doesn't attempt to run linux apps. Cygwin runs Cygwin apps natively.
    > It's more comparable to something like the GTK toolkit.

    Cygwin runs Linux apps in a manner similar to a port
    of Windows apps to a Linux box on Wine. If one has the
    source, one can build it under Cygwin.

    There are a fair number of deltas, of course -- mostly in
    the audio area.

    Microsoft also have SFU, which is a rough analog to Cygwin.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C++ Programming Idea #23291:
    void f(item *p) { if(p != 0) delete p; }

  16. Re: 6 months ago: Microsoft shows off leaner kernel for Windows 7

    "Ezekiel" writes:

    > "Matt" wrote in message
    >> The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Hadron
    >>>
    >>> wrote
    >>> on Sat, 12 Apr 2008 22:41:45 +0200
    >>> :

    >>> Unless one can say different, I'd say *ALL* OSS is available for
    >>> Windows, at least at the application level.
    >>>
    >>> (This may be because all OSS is buildable under Cygwin. But it
    >>> is available.)

    >> Cygwin and WINE don't cut it for most people. The only practical way to
    >> break the monopoly and make the OS sufficiently irrelevant is by building
    >> good cross-OS and web-based apps.

    > Congratulations. Add Cygwin to the list of things you know absolutely
    > nothing about. Cygwin and WINE are completely different.
    >
    > WINE is used to run Windows applications on linux.
    >
    > Cygwin doesn't attempt to run linux apps. Cygwin runs Cygwin apps natively.
    > It's more comparable to something like the GTK toolkit.

    Matt does seem to be going out of his way to be ignorant on all things he
    professes to know about. Almost as WronG as HPT ....

  17. Re: 6 months ago: Microsoft shows off leaner kernel for Windows 7

    Ezekiel wrote:
    > "Matt" wrote in message
    >> The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Hadron
    >>>
    >>> wrote
    >>> on Sat, 12 Apr 2008 22:41:45 +0200
    >>> :

    >>> Unless one can say different, I'd say *ALL* OSS is available for
    >>> Windows, at least at the application level.
    >>>
    >>> (This may be because all OSS is buildable under Cygwin. But it
    >>> is available.)

    >> Cygwin and WINE don't cut it for most people. The only practical way to
    >> break the monopoly and make the OS sufficiently irrelevant is by building
    >> good cross-OS and web-based apps.

    > Congratulations. Add Cygwin to the list of things you know absolutely
    > nothing about. Cygwin and WINE are completely different.
    >
    > WINE is used to run Windows applications on linux.
    >
    > Cygwin doesn't attempt to run linux apps. Cygwin runs Cygwin apps natively.

    Thanks, sonny. What they have in common is that they try to support
    cross-platform software use, but are too complicated for grandma to
    handle and therefore mostly ineffective in increasing Linux adoption.

    > It's more comparable to something like the GTK toolkit.

    GTK+ tries to work on Windows, Mac, and Linux, making it a more complete
    cross-platform system, unlike Cygwin, which is no good for Mac so far.

  18. Re: 6 months ago: Microsoft shows off leaner kernel for Windows 7

    The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Ezekiel
    >
    > wrote
    > on Mon, 14 Apr 2008 20:25:29 -0400
    > <13ee3$4803f5fa$16189@news.teranews.com>:
    >> "Matt" wrote in message

    >>> Cygwin and WINE don't cut it for most people. The only practical way to
    >>> break the monopoly and make the OS sufficiently irrelevant is by building
    >>> good cross-OS and web-based apps.

    >> Congratulations. Add Cygwin to the list of things you know absolutely
    >> nothing about. Cygwin and WINE are completely different.
    >>
    >> WINE is used to run Windows applications on linux.
    >>
    >> Cygwin doesn't attempt to run linux apps. Cygwin runs Cygwin apps natively.
    >> It's more comparable to something like the GTK toolkit.

    > Cygwin runs Linux apps in a manner similar to a port
    > of Windows apps to a Linux box on Wine. If one has the
    > source, one can build it under Cygwin.
    >
    > There are a fair number of deltas, of course -- mostly in
    > the audio area.
    >
    > Microsoft also have SFU, which is a rough analog to Cygwin.

    Yes, so all three: WINE, Cygwin, and SFU attempt to let one OS reuse
    code already written for a different OS, mostly unmodified.

    With GTK+, the programmer starts writing a cross-platform app from the
    start, putting GTK+ calls in the source code. GTK+ is one that is least
    like the others.

  19. Re: 6 months ago: Microsoft shows off leaner kernel for Windows 7

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Matt

    wrote
    on Tue, 15 Apr 2008 01:41:44 GMT
    :
    > The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Ezekiel
    >>
    >> wrote
    >> on Mon, 14 Apr 2008 20:25:29 -0400
    >> <13ee3$4803f5fa$16189@news.teranews.com>:
    >>> "Matt" wrote in message

    >>> Congratulations. Add Cygwin to the list of things you know absolutely
    >>> nothing about. Cygwin and WINE are completely different.
    >>>
    >>> WINE is used to run Windows applications on linux.
    >>>
    >>> Cygwin doesn't attempt to run linux apps. Cygwin runs Cygwin apps natively.
    >>> It's more comparable to something like the GTK toolkit.

    >> Cygwin runs Linux apps in a manner similar to a port
    >> of Windows apps to a Linux box on Wine. If one has the
    >> source, one can build it under Cygwin.
    >>
    >> There are a fair number of deltas, of course -- mostly in
    >> the audio area.
    >>
    >> Microsoft also have SFU, which is a rough analog to Cygwin.

    > Yes, so all three: WINE, Cygwin, and SFU attempt to let one OS reuse
    > code already written for a different OS, mostly unmodified.
    >
    > With GTK+, the programmer starts writing a cross-platform app from the
    > start, putting GTK+ calls in the source code. GTK+ is one that is least
    > like the others.

    Not sure about the + part but GTK and libglade are very
    interesting beasties, in that one can prototype the
    GUI appearance using glade and then do backend hookups
    later on. I've always kinda liked that. KDE's kdevelop
    has a somewhat similar feature but I don't like it as much;
    it appears too absolute position-based. Libglade can also
    run in a Java/SWT environment, as well as C++ and probably
    Python as well.

    To its credit Microsoft also can support a vaguely similar
    model, but I frankly doubt they innovated it -- though
    would have to dig to find who first thought of the notion.
    Certainly Microsoft's dialog/window description language
    has been around since Win3.1 days, in some form.

    Motif also had Mrm -- I think that's what it was called;
    in any event it allowed Motif routines to read a descriptor
    file, which I think had to be compiled with a special tool.

    And of course there's Tcl/Tk, Python, and Squeak, of
    varying ages and capabilities. (Not sure if Ruby has a
    GUI or not; I'd be surprised if PHP did. Presumably Ruby
    has HTML capability.)

    AFAIK all of these are runnable on Windows, with additional
    software in some cases (Java needs a JVM, for example; the rest
    will probably need some variant of Cygwin, SFU, or other such).

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    /dev/signature: Not a text file

  20. Re: 6 months ago: Microsoft shows off leaner kernel for Windows 7

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Matt

    wrote
    on Tue, 15 Apr 2008 01:26:18 GMT
    <_uTMj.1609$NU2.685@news01.roc.ny>:
    > Ezekiel wrote:
    >> "Matt" wrote in message

    >>> Cygwin and WINE don't cut it for most people. The only practical way to
    >>> break the monopoly and make the OS sufficiently irrelevant is by building
    >>> good cross-OS and web-based apps.

    Windows is a good cross-OS (strangely enough -- but Wine
    is an enabler on both Windows, and one can also use things
    such as VmWare on Mac OSX or Linux). A web-based app is
    a weird notion, as the fat client is Internet Explorer or
    Mozilla Firefox, both of which are complete environments
    in their own right; they usually talk to a server somewhere
    in an XML dialect.

    >> Congratulations. Add Cygwin to the list of things you know absolutely
    >> nothing about. Cygwin and WINE are completely different.
    >>
    >> WINE is used to run Windows applications on linux.
    >>
    >> Cygwin doesn't attempt to run linux apps. Cygwin runs Cygwin apps natively.

    > Thanks, sonny. What they have in common is that they try to support
    > cross-platform software use, but are too complicated for grandma to
    > handle and therefore mostly ineffective in increasing Linux adoption.

    Absolutely correct, though I'm not sure how well grandma/grandpa can
    handle the current spate of Windows malware crap either.

    >> It's more comparable to something like the GTK toolkit.

    > GTK+ tries to work on Windows, Mac, and Linux, making it a more complete
    > cross-platform system, unlike Cygwin, which is no good for Mac so far.

    Mac wouldn't need it unless you're discussing OS 9 or even earlier.
    It is, after all, BSD-based. ;-)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Windows Vista. It'll Fix Everything(tm).