[News] [Rival] Microsoft Windows Under Attack by Microsoft Pals, Outlook Grim - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] [Rival] Microsoft Windows Under Attack by Microsoft Pals, Outlook Grim - Linux ; Analysts: Windows' monolith design collapsing ,----[ Quote ] | They also observe that Microsoft's emphasis on a single core for all variants | on an operating system makes even 2001's Windows XP less practical on some | platforms. On notebooks ...

  1. [News] [Rival] Microsoft Windows Under Attack by Microsoft Pals, Outlook Grim

    Analysts: Windows' monolith design collapsing

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | They also observe that Microsoft's emphasis on a single core for all variants
    | on an operating system makes even 2001's Windows XP less practical on some
    | platforms. On notebooks such as the Eee PC or Classmate PC, XP consumes twice
    | as much storage as custom Linux installations, which ASUS, Intel, and others
    | often use to pare down the size of the OS without sacrificing the features
    | they need.
    `----

    http://www.electronista.com/articles....win.monolith/

    "Linux is a very complete and sophisticated operating system. And there is a
    lot of work being done to improve it in and of itself, particularly to make it
    easier to use and easier for people to set up on their personal computers."

    --Paul Maritz, senior vice-president, Microsoft

    Related:

    Feeling the heat at Microsoft

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | you who is Microsoft's biggest competitor now, who would it be? Â*

    | to go with that.
    `----

    Windows Vista: Sold but not deployed

    ,----[ Quote ]
    `----

    | Financial Times Deutschland on Monday. Â*

    | Lenovo.

    `----

    http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/...SS&NewsID=9579

    Ugly view mars Windows Vista birthday

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | According to latest data from NPD, Microsoft is shipping fewer boxed copies
    | of Windows Vista than it did Windows XP at the same point in the operating
    | systems' lifecycles. Â*
    `----

    http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2007/1...ista_birthday/

    The Vista Death Watch

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft has extended the life of Windows XP because Vista has simply not
    | shown any life in the market. We have to begin to ask ourselves if we are
    | really looking at Windows Me/2007, destined to be a disdained flop. By all
    | estimates the number of Vista installations hovers around the number of Macs
    | in use. Â* Â*
    |
    | How did this happen? And what’s going to happen next? Does Microsoft have a
    | Plan B? A number of possibilities come to mind, and these things must be
    | considered by the company itself. Â*
    `----

    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2704...079TX1K0000584

    Lenovo offers downgrade from Windows Vista to Windows XP

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | My colleague Stian just sent me this interesting link regarding my
    | experiences with Windows Vista. Since I assume the link will NOT have the
    | visual appearence it has right now for very many more hours (days) I've
    | created a screenshot of how it looked when I went into the site. Â*
    `----

    http://jaxed.org/lenovo-offers-downg...indows-xp.blog

    Windows Vista kicked out of Olympics PCs

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft's latest version of Windows is too risky to implement for the
    | important computers managing the 2008 Olympic summer games in Beijing, said
    | the event's computer supplier and sponsor Lenovo. Â*
    `----

    http://www.electronista.com/articles...n.olympic.pcs/

    DSG continues retailer woes

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | DSG, the company formerly known as Dixons, became the latest British retailer
    | to report a drop in profits for the summer months today. But it wasn’t all
    | down to the rotten weather – this time it was also Microsoft’s fault. Â*
    `----

    http://www.managementtoday.co.uk/new...retailer-woes/

    Dell casts doubts on Vista

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Dell today revealed that it will restore the option to use Windows XP on
    | some of its home systems, marking a potentially damaging blow to
    | Microsoft's hopes for the newer Windows Vista.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | While a popular request through the company's IdeaStorm website, the
    | choice was substantially outnumbered by requests for pre-installed
    | Linux, US-based technical support, and other features -- pointing to a
    | larger general demand for the change. The turnaround may be a reflection of
    | an overall backlash against Vista, observed IDC analyst Richard Shim.
    `----

    http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/04/...ubts.on.vista/

  2. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Windows Under Attack by Microsoft Pals, Outlook Grim

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > DSG continues retailer woes
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >> DSG, the company formerly known as Dixons, became the latest British
    >> retailer to report a drop in profits for the summer months today.
    >> But it wasn't all down to the rotten weather - this time it was also
    >> Microsoft's fault.

    Perhaps DSG should switch to selling only Linux distro box sets and Linux
    preinstalled computers?

  3. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Windows Under Attack by Microsoft Pals, Outlook Grim

    DFS wrote:

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> DSG continues retailer woes
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> DSG, the company formerly known as Dixons, became the latest British
    >>> retailer to report a drop in profits for the summer months today.
    >>> But it wasn't all down to the rotten weather - this time it was also
    >>> Microsoft's fault.

    > Perhaps DSG should switch to selling only Linux distro box sets and Linux
    > preinstalled computers?

    More customer education by companies handing out free LiveCDs and
    demonstrating Linux is free to copy and install and its got better Game
    should do that trick more than any other.

    http://www.livecdlist.com
    http://www.distrowatch.com

+ Reply to Thread