[News] Linn Makes Open Source Music Software - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Linn Makes Open Source Music Software - Linux ; Tech Tuesday was a big success and debuted the Linn Sneaky Music DS ,----[ Quote ] | Gilad Tiefenbrun, Director of Engineering of Linn Products in Scotland (known | since the 1970s for their high-end audio equipment), showed their new ...

  1. [News] Linn Makes Open Source Music Software

    Tech Tuesday was a big success and debuted the Linn Sneaky Music DS

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Gilad Tiefenbrun, Director of Engineering of Linn Products in Scotland (known
    | since the 1970s for their high-end audio equipment), showed their new Sneaky
    | Music DS device for playing high quality music stored on a home LAN -- with
    | Open Source software components you can modify to your heart's content. There
    | was a lot of excitement about it. This was the first time, he said, that it
    | was being shown publicly in the US, and is shipping Monday.
    `----

    http://danbricklin.com/log/2008_03_06.htm#tt03linn

    Recent:

    Audio in Linux is awesome

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I can’t wait for PulseAudio. I’m sure that will make all of this even easier.
    `----

    http://darkness.codefu.org/wordpress/2007/12/15/292

    Why Vista sounds worse

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Changes to how the latest version of Windows handles audio playback has
    | caused unexpected quality issues for musicians and consumers alike, reports
    | Tim Anderson *
    `----

    http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...oft.technology

  2. Re: [News] Linn Makes Open Source Music Software

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Tech Tuesday was a big success and debuted the Linn Sneaky Music DS

    We built on top of the open source RTEMS kernel, added multi-threading
    and TCP/IP, and put that back into the open source. The guys at NASA
    were quite pleased!
    Excellent. I had no idea Linn were involved in kernel development.

    "Microsoft picked up the tab for drinks and food"

    Unbelievable! They just can't stop trying to bribe people, can they?
    What the Hell do those goons want; "here's a hamburger, now dump Linux"?

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    `----

    09:57:43 up 111 days, 6:33, 2 users, load average: 0.44, 0.72, 0.63

  3. Re: [News] Linn Makes Open Source Music Software

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Tech Tuesday was a big success and debuted the Linn Sneaky Music DS
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Gilad Tiefenbrun, Director of Engineering of Linn Products in Scotland (known
    > | since the 1970s for their high-end audio equipment), showed their new Sneaky
    > | Music DS device for playing high quality music stored on a home LAN -- with
    > | Open Source software components you can modify to your heart's content. There
    > | was a lot of excitement about it. This was the first time, he said, that it
    > | was being shown publicly in the US, and is shipping Monday.
    > `----
    >
    > http://danbricklin.com/log/2008_03_06.htm#tt03linn
    >

    > Recent:
    >
    > Audio in Linux is awesome
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | I can’t wait for PulseAudio. I’m sure that will make all of this even easier.
    > `----
    >
    > http://darkness.codefu.org/wordpress/2007/12/15/292

    GNU/Linux is musician's heaven. For most distributions there is a wide
    range of audio creation and edition free and gratis software available.

    From simple tracker editors to massive virtual synthesizers and the jack
    backend, which requires a realtime optimized kernel. Using Jack, the
    unfortunate that don't have a MIDI master keyboard, a virtual keyboard
    is available.

    Using Jack the user is able to connect his or her virtual music keyboard
    to a virtual synthesizer like Timidity++.

    Ubuntu users, who are interested in audio creation and/or edition,
    should read this article:

    http://www.ubuntugeek.com/howto-turn....html#more-359

    simply copy the next block:

    sudo apt-get install ubuntustudio-desktop ubuntustudio-gdm-theme
    ubuntustudio-audio ubuntustudio-audio-plugins
    ubuntustudio-default-settings ubuntustudio-icon-theme
    ubuntustudiolauncher ubuntustudio-graphics ubuntustudio-look
    ubuntustudio-menu ubuntustudio-screensaver ubuntustudio-sounds
    ubuntustudio-wallpapers ubuntustudio-video usplash-theme-ubuntustudio
    ubuntustudio-theme

    Paste it in a terminal window and let apt do all the work for you.

    A entry for booting the Realtime kernel will be added to the Grub bootmenu.

    Keep on Rockin' ;-)

    Cheers

    --
    |_|0|_| Marti T. van Lin
    |_|_|0| http://ml2mst.googlepages.com
    |0|0|0| http://osgeex.blogspot.com

  4. Re: [News] Linn Makes Open Source Music Software

    ml2mst writes:

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> Tech Tuesday was a big success and debuted the Linn Sneaky Music DS
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | Gilad Tiefenbrun, Director of Engineering of Linn Products in Scotland (known
    >> | since the 1970s for their high-end audio equipment), showed their new Sneaky
    >> | Music DS device for playing high quality music stored on a home LAN -- with
    >> | Open Source software components you can modify to your heart's content. There
    >> | was a lot of excitement about it. This was the first time, he said, that it
    >> | was being shown publicly in the US, and is shipping Monday.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://danbricklin.com/log/2008_03_06.htm#tt03linn
    >>

    >> Recent:
    >>
    >> Audio in Linux is awesome
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | I can’t wait for PulseAudio. I’m sure that will make all of this even easier.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://darkness.codefu.org/wordpress/2007/12/15/292

    > GNU/Linux is musician's heaven. For most distributions there is a wide
    > range of audio creation and edition free and gratis software
    > available.

    You have to be joking? Most of it is hackware to say the least. And that
    is IF you get multiple channel sound working to start with.

    > From simple tracker editors to massive virtual synthesizers and the jack
    > backend, which requires a realtime optimized kernel. Using Jack, the
    > unfortunate that don't have a MIDI master keyboard, a virtual keyboard
    > is available.
    >
    > Using Jack the user is able to connect his or her virtual music keyboard
    > to a virtual synthesizer like Timidity++.

    If jack works.

    > Ubuntu users, who are interested in audio creation and/or edition,
    > should read this article:
    >
    > http://www.ubuntugeek.com/howto-turn....html#more-359

    There is nothing to read. It's just what you pasted below. If I were to
    make a guess, you dont anything about it and are just parroting fan boy
    fashion to shill Roy's post.

    > simply copy the next block:
    >
    > sudo apt-get install ubuntustudio-desktop ubuntustudio-gdm-theme
    > ubuntustudio-audio ubuntustudio-audio-plugins
    > ubuntustudio-default-settings ubuntustudio-icon-theme
    > ubuntustudiolauncher ubuntustudio-graphics ubuntustudio-look
    > ubuntustudio-menu ubuntustudio-screensaver ubuntustudio-sounds
    > ubuntustudio-wallpapers ubuntustudio-video usplash-theme-ubuntustudio
    > ubuntustudio-theme
    >
    > Paste it in a terminal window and let apt do all the work for you.
    >
    > A entry for booting the Realtime kernel will be added to the Grub bootmenu.
    >
    > Keep on Rockin' ;-)

    Or keep on reinstalling. Did you see the second reply to this simplistic
    nonsense?

    ,----
    | I am sorry to say, but this actually broke my system on a hp pavilion.
    |
    | after installing ubuntu studio I lost my display and the wifi.
    |
    | I could reinstall linux-restricted-modules in order to get the video card to work again, but even though I could see the wifi restricted driver installed I haven’t found a way to make it work. I give up finally.
    `----

    Honestly. You couldn't make it up.

  5. Re: [News] Linn Makes Open Source Music Software

    > Why Vista sounds worse
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| Changes to how the latest version of Windows handles audio playback has
    >| caused unexpected quality issues for musicians and consumers alike, reports
    >| Tim Anderson *
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...oft.technology

    If it ain't broke, don't fix it, eh what?

    --
    Security is, I would say, our top priority because for all the exciting
    things you will be able to do with computers - organizing your lives,

  6. Re: [News] Linn Makes Open Source Music Software

    * [H]omer peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > "Microsoft picked up the tab for drinks and food"
    >
    > Unbelievable! They just can't stop trying to bribe people, can they?
    > What the Hell do those goons want; "here's a hamburger, now dump Linux"?

    I dunno, that daily cheeseburger seemed to be a powerful motivator for
    Bill.

    --
    The Internet is becoming the town square for the global village of tomorrow.
    -- Bill Gates

  7. Re: [News] Linn Makes Open Source Music Software

    ml2mst wrote:

    > sudo apt-get install ubuntustudio-desktop ubuntustudio-gdm-theme
    > ubuntustudio-audio ubuntustudio-audio-plugins
    > ubuntustudio-default-settings ubuntustudio-icon-theme
    > ubuntustudiolauncher ubuntustudio-graphics ubuntustudio-look
    > ubuntustudio-menu ubuntustudio-screensaver ubuntustudio-sounds
    > ubuntustudio-wallpapers ubuntustudio-video usplash-theme-ubuntustudio
    > ubuntustudio-theme
    >
    > Paste it in a terminal window and let apt do all the work for you.

    I've been playing with ubuntu studio for a few months now including
    optional video editing stuff. It still has a few rough edges as
    far as UI appearance, but overall I'm very impressed. It can do
    most everything you would expect from a commercial suite costing
    thousands.

    Thad
    all the ingredients on the label.

  8. Re: [News] Linn Makes Open Source Music Software

    On 2008-04-10, Hadron wrote:
    > ml2mst writes:
    >
    >> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>
    >>> Tech Tuesday was a big success and debuted the Linn Sneaky Music DS
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> `----
    >>>
    >>> http://danbricklin.com/log/2008_03_06.htm#tt03linn
    >>>

    >>> Recent:
    >>>
    >>> Audio in Linux is awesome
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> `----
    >>>
    >>> http://darkness.codefu.org/wordpress/2007/12/15/292

    >> GNU/Linux is musician's heaven. For most distributions there is a wide
    >> range of audio creation and edition free and gratis software
    >> available.

    > You have to be joking? Most of it is hackware to say the least. And that
    > is IF you get multiple channel sound working to start with.

    You say that as if musicians aren't prone to hack electronic
    music gadgets in ways that the original electrical engineers ever
    even dreamed up.

    [deletia]

    I wonder how musicians at large would react to this broad
    brush you're painting them with...

    --
    My macintosh runs Ubuntu. |||
    / | \

    http://www.usenet.com

  9. Re: [News] Linn Makes Open Source Music Software

    JEDIDIAH writes:

    > On 2008-04-10, Hadron wrote:
    >> ml2mst writes:

    >>> GNU/Linux is musician's heaven. For most distributions there is a wide
    >>> range of audio creation and edition free and gratis software
    >>> available.

    >> You have to be joking? Most of it is hackware to say the least. And that
    >> is IF you get multiple channel sound working to start with.

    > You say that as if musicians aren't prone to hack electronic
    > music gadgets in ways that the original electrical engineers ever
    > even dreamed up.
    >
    > [deletia]
    >
    > I wonder how musicians at large would react to this broad
    > brush you're painting them with...

    Huh?

    --
    any facts posited and opposes any conclusions reached in this message.

    -- Seen in the headers of a mail from Branden Robinson

  10. Re: [News] Linn Makes Open Source Music Software

    ____/ thad05@tux.glaci.delete-this.com on Thursday 10 April 2008 14:40 : \____

    > ml2mst wrote:
    >>
    >> sudo apt-get install ubuntustudio-desktop ubuntustudio-gdm-theme
    >> ubuntustudio-audio ubuntustudio-audio-plugins
    >> ubuntustudio-default-settings ubuntustudio-icon-theme
    >> ubuntustudiolauncher ubuntustudio-graphics ubuntustudio-look
    >> ubuntustudio-menu ubuntustudio-screensaver ubuntustudio-sounds
    >> ubuntustudio-wallpapers ubuntustudio-video usplash-theme-ubuntustudio
    >> ubuntustudio-theme
    >>
    >> Paste it in a terminal window and let apt do all the work for you.

    > I've been playing with ubuntu studio for a few months now including
    > optional video editing stuff. It still has a few rough edges as
    > far as UI appearance, but overall I'm very impressed. It can do
    > most everything you would expect from a commercial suite costing
    > thousands.
    >
    > Thad

    I quite like its dark theme (a matter of taste), but it's probably not a very
    polished theme. Of course, you could change that with a few mouseclicks,
    assuming the developers didn't apply some odd changes.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Vista: as the reputation of "Longhorn" was mucked
    Tasks: 127 total, 1 running, 126 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie

  11. Re: [News] Linn Makes Open Source Music Software

    On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 12:54:55 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > ml2mst writes:
    >
    >> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>
    >>> Tech Tuesday was a big success and debuted the Linn Sneaky Music DS
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> `----
    >>>
    >>> http://danbricklin.com/log/2008_03_06.htm#tt03linn
    >>>

    >>> Recent:
    >>>
    >>> Audio in Linux is awesome
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> `----
    >>>
    >>> http://darkness.codefu.org/wordpress/2007/12/15/292

    >> GNU/Linux is musician's heaven. For most distributions there is a wide
    >> range of audio creation and edition free and gratis software
    >> available.

    > You have to be joking? Most of it is hackware to say the least. And that
    > is IF you get multiple channel sound working to start with.

    How true.
    Audio under Linux is a complete clusterfsck, especially pro audio.
    The Linn device does look interesting though.

    >> From simple tracker editors to massive virtual synthesizers and the jack
    >> backend, which requires a realtime optimized kernel. Using Jack, the
    >> unfortunate that don't have a MIDI master keyboard, a virtual keyboard
    >> is available.
    >>
    >> Using Jack the user is able to connect his or her virtual music keyboard
    >> to a virtual synthesizer like Timidity++.

    > If jack works.

    That's the problem.
    Most musicians look at that clusterfsck and scratch their heads.
    Don't get me wrong, musicians are SCREAMING for Linux audio applications,
    but at the same time they don't want to become programmers.

    The other problem is that the Windows and Mac world have tons of free or
    low cost solutions that in essence work fine for most of the muscians.

    Entry level Cubase is often included free with audio interfaces.
    Then there is Reaper and others.

    With Windows/Mac they install, launch and are creating in a matter of
    minutes.

    With Linux?
    Screw, screw, screw and screw around some more to get things working.

    Is Jack powerful?

    Damm right it is, however most people can't even figure out how to get it
    running and betwen permissions, low latency, the need to run as root to
    avoid overruns, the all popular "/dev/dspx" is in use by another
    application stuff, it's a mess.

    When properly configured, set up and with a good hands on tutorial by an
    experienced Linux musician/engineer, Linux can be decent.

    See Harrison consoles, which use Ardour for an example of this.

    >> Ubuntu users, who are interested in audio creation and/or edition,
    >> should read this article:
    >>
    >> http://www.ubuntugeek.com/howto-turn....html#more-359

    > There is nothing to read. It's just what you pasted below. If I were to
    > make a guess, you dont anything about it and are just parroting fan boy
    > fashion to shill Roy's post.

    Of course he is.

    >> simply copy the next block:
    >>
    >> sudo apt-get install ubuntustudio-desktop ubuntustudio-gdm-theme
    >> ubuntustudio-audio ubuntustudio-audio-plugins
    >> ubuntustudio-default-settings ubuntustudio-icon-theme
    >> ubuntustudiolauncher ubuntustudio-graphics ubuntustudio-look
    >> ubuntustudio-menu ubuntustudio-screensaver ubuntustudio-sounds
    >> ubuntustudio-wallpapers ubuntustudio-video usplash-theme-ubuntustudio
    >> ubuntustudio-theme
    >>
    >> Paste it in a terminal window and let apt do all the work for you.
    >>
    >> A entry for booting the Realtime kernel will be added to the Grub bootmenu.
    >>
    >> Keep on Rockin' ;-)

    > Or keep on reinstalling. Did you see the second reply to this simplistic
    > nonsense?

    Why read when you can just say me too?

    > ,----
    >| I am sorry to say, but this actually broke my system on a hp pavilion.
    >|
    >| after installing ubuntu studio I lost my display and the wifi.
    >|
    >| I could reinstall linux-restricted-modules in order to get the video card to work again, but even though I could see the wifi restricted driver installed I havent found a way to make it work. I give up finally.
    > `----
    >
    > Honestly. You couldn't make it up.

    Nope you really can't.

    And now you know why Linux is virtually unknown in musicians studios.
    And even when some brave souls are using Linux, they have either a Windows
    or Mac setup running the A room or as a backup and Linux is just an
    experiment.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  12. Re: [News] Linn Makes Open Source Music Software

    Moshe Goldfarb is flatfish (aka: Gary Stewart)

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic
    * Racist
    * Habitual liar

  13. Re: [News] Linn Makes Open Source Music Software

    thad05@tux.glaci.delete-this.com Wrote

    > ml2mst wrote:
    >> sudo apt-get install ubuntustudio-desktop ubuntustudio-gdm-theme
    >> ubuntustudio-audio ubuntustudio-audio-plugins
    >> ubuntustudio-default-settings ubuntustudio-icon-theme
    >> ubuntustudiolauncher ubuntustudio-graphics ubuntustudio-look
    >> ubuntustudio-menu ubuntustudio-screensaver ubuntustudio-sounds
    >> ubuntustudio-wallpapers ubuntustudio-video usplash-theme-ubuntustudio
    >> ubuntustudio-theme
    >>
    >> Paste it in a terminal window and let apt do all the work for you.

    > I've been playing with ubuntu studio for a few months now including
    > optional video editing stuff. It still has a few rough edges as
    > far as UI appearance, but overall I'm very impressed. It can do
    > most everything you would expect from a commercial suite costing
    > thousands.

    I'm sorry I don't have any experience with Video editing, except for
    Istanbul (a screen recorder). But as a musician I really have good
    experiences with Ubuntu.

    There is another distribution for musicians, called JackLab, but
    unfortunately it's based on on openSUSE, including all its hassles (the
    horrible package management in Yast).

    There are even more distributions for musicians out there, but Unbuntu
    does the job for me, perfectly right ;-)

    Cheers

    --
    |_|0|_| Marti T. van Lin
    |_|_|0| http://ml2mst.googlepages.com