[News] Microsoft Actively Blocks ODF Support Using Secret Agreements - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Microsoft Actively Blocks ODF Support Using Secret Agreements - Linux ; ,----[ Quote ] | April 8, 2008 @ 12:43 am | | I’m marketing manager Benedict from ThinkFree. | Thanks for your suggestion ! | | We are also considering the ODF support in ThinkFree. | By the way, There ...

  1. [News] Microsoft Actively Blocks ODF Support Using Secret Agreements

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | April 8, 2008 @ 12:43 am
    |
    | I’m marketing manager Benedict from ThinkFree.
    | Thanks for your suggestion !
    |
    | We are also considering the ODF support in ThinkFree.
    | By the way, There is one obstacle for solving the problem…
    | That is MS Policy for ODF, Because of interoperability with MS
    | Office in ThinkFree,
    |
    | We still need the MS cooperation that support OOXML,,,
    | I think you can understand this situation & MS policy strategy…
    | But we plan to solve this political problems, and also We will
    | make the detour.
    | Anyway, We feel your kind mind… Thanks
    `----

    http://blog.thinkfree.com/2008/03/24...pril-7th-2008/

    What’s Wrong With Choice?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | So, Brian, do you really care about choice? Prove it to me. Instead of a
    | halfway-functional plug-in that has to be searched out and downloaded, have
    | your team write fully-native ODF support and download it as an automatic
    | update to Office XP (2002) and later. Make sure that it is placed as an
    | equal peer with OOXML in your "Save As" dialog. And take all of these secret
    | quirks (do this the way Word 95 did) and plainly specify what was done, then
    | issue a pledge that everything necessary to implement OOXML in any
    | application whatsoever is perpetually guaranteed to be free for anyone to
    | implement in any way they wish at any time, whether they use Windows, Linux,
    | Solaris, BSD, or some home-brewed system they cooked up themselves.
    |
    | Or maybe you are afraid of something…
    `----

    http://lnxwalt.wordpress.com/2007/01...g-with-choice/

    Recent:

    Should India change its vote No vote for OOXML? - please?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Well done to the Bureau of Indian Standards for standing firm against this
    | raging bully. Hopefully one day the bully will learn how to play fair and
    | contribute positively to the standards process, and not try to manipulate its
    | way in. *
    |
    | Truly despicable behaviour. Shame on you, Microsoft, yet again. How will we
    | ever trust you?
    `----

    http://www.openmalaysiablog.com/2008...-india-ch.html

    Steve Ballmer was in India?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Interestingly, that was the day when BIS met to discuss OOXML. For those who
    | have been following this issue, India's final vote on the subject will be on
    | 20th May 2008. Talk about timing! *
    `----

    http://osindia.blogspot.com/2008/03/...-in-india.html

    Microsoft influencing partner NGOs to support OOXML in India

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft is encouraging its business partners to promote its Office Open XML
    | specification (OOXML) to the Indian Bureau of Standards (BIS) and Ministry of
    | IT. This move has incensed supporters of the rival OpenDocument Format (ODF)
    | who fear that the "soft" Indian state may not be able to stand up to
    | Microsoft pressure tactics. * *
    `----

    http://www.linux.com/feature/128528

    Microsoft India using NGOs to fake support for OOXML

    http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-44038...port-for-ooxml

    Becoming a better company: Microsoft helps NGOs in India

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Of course, there has to be some trade-offs, because there should never be
    | free lunch, even for the ones who starve: Microsoft, according to this
    | article, has conditioned its help to Indian NGOs to their support of OOXML.
    | What the NGOs had to do was to send letters of support on OOXML to the
    | federal government of India. * *
    `----

    http://standardsandfreedom.net/index...ngos-in-india/

    Microsoft "persuades" NGOs to support OOXML

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Our friends at Linux Delhi have put up a copy of the form letters that
    | Microsoft has been sending NGOs on the OOXML issue. Apparently, these NGOs
    | have been sending copies of these letters to the Ministry of IT and Bureau of
    | Indian standards. * *
    `----

    http://osindia.blogspot.com/2008/02/...o-support.html

    Developers around the world, unite!

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Monopoly and proprietary software have an advantage in influencing state and
    | governmental institutions because of their large market base and ready
    | capital. Unscrupulous ways of influencing state governments have persisted in
    | India, for example, where executives of proprietary software cajole
    | government heads to promote their brands in lieu of some form of charity
    | given. FLOSS activists must overcome this huge challenge in order to get
    | their philosophy accepted and model implemented for the good of people who
    | are still on the barren side of the digital divide. * * *
    `----

    http://thepost.com.pk/OpinionNews.as...47277&catid=11

    Using NGOs to Push Agendas

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The extent to which Microsoft can go in its efforts to get OOXML is
    | interesting. Microsoft has "persuaded" several non-profit organizations to
    | bombard the Indian IT Secretary and the Additional Director General of the
    | Bureau of Indian Standards with letters supporting its OOXML proposal. A copy
    | of the form letter they have been circulating to NGOs is given below.
    | Somebody should interview these NGOs to see how much they really know about
    | OOXML and open standards. * * *
    |
    | The sequence of events leading up to the spamming of GoI? is:
    |
    | Letter from an NGO thanking Microsoft (name changed to protect their
    | identity)
    `----

    http://wiki.linux-delhi.org/cgi-bin/...rds/MsNgoLobby

    OOXML: decision time is nigh

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Wipro, Infosys and TCS are the three big companies that accept business
    | process outsourcing from the American and other markets, hence their vote for
    | Microsoft is not a surprise at all. These are companies that maintain the
    | status quo, conservative to the core and willing to do the bidding of the
    | piper. Nasscom represents the interests of the bigger IT companies and it
    | probably had no choice but to fall in line.
    `----

    http://www.itwire.com/content/view/17353/1148/

    Microsoft files complaint on OOXML vote to apex office and Ministry of Consumer
    Affairs

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | At the meeting held on 20th March 2008, we were informed that Microsoft has
    | complained to the Ministry of Consumer Affairs and to the apex office of the
    | country about the constitution of the committee and also cast aspersions on
    | the impartiality of the chairperson of LITD15, Mrs. Neeta Verma. The
    | chairperson was furious and offered to step down from her post. She pointed
    | out that the committee has met numerous times and Microsoft never brought
    | this issue up in front of the committee nor did they check the facts with her
    | or her organization before complaining to the apex office.
    `----

    http://osindia.blogspot.com/2008/03/...oxml-vote.html

  2. Re: [Roy Schestowitz does not do fact checking] Microsoft Actively Blocks ODF Support Using Secret Agreements (was: [News] Microsoft Actively Blocks ODF Support Using Secret Agreements)

    On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 04:23:53 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| April 8, 2008 @ 12:43 am
    >|
    >| Im marketing manager Benedict from ThinkFree.
    >| Thanks for your suggestion !
    >|
    >| We are also considering the ODF support in ThinkFree.
    >| By the way, There is one obstacle for solving the problemK
    >| That is MS Policy for ODF, Because of interoperability with MS
    >| Office in ThinkFree,
    >|
    >| We still need the MS cooperation that support OOXML,,,
    >| I think you can understand this situation & MS policy strategyK
    >| But we plan to solve this political problems, and also We will
    >| make the detour.
    >| Anyway, We feel your kind mindK Thanks
    > `----
    >
    > http://blog.thinkfree.com/2008/03/24...pril-7th-2008/

    From the very blog you link to:

    Benedict said,
    April 9, 2008 @ 6:51 pm

    Im marketing manager Benedict from ThinkFree.
    So sorry, There are some mistakes and misunerstanding about supporting the
    ODF.

    I want to clear those misunderstadings.
    My previous comment is my personal view and not officialK
    MS and ThinkFree have nothing to do with the matter.

    Im definitely in favor of your opinions.
    We, and ThinkFree is proud of interoperabillity of variable document
    format. and general users needs.

    We plan to release the official positions of ThinKFree about supporting the
    ODF. First of all,,, I hope to support the ODF format !!!

  3. Re: [Roy Schestowitz does not do fact checking] Microsoft Actively Blocks ODF Support Using Secret Agreements

    On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 13:18:13 -0400, Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

    > On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 04:23:53 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| April 8, 2008 @ 12:43 am
    >>|
    >>| Im marketing manager Benedict from ThinkFree.
    >>| Thanks for your suggestion !
    >>|
    >>| We are also considering the ODF support in ThinkFree.
    >>| By the way, There is one obstacle for solving the problemK
    >>| That is MS Policy for ODF, Because of interoperability with MS
    >>| Office in ThinkFree,
    >>|
    >>| We still need the MS cooperation that support OOXML,,,
    >>| I think you can understand this situation & MS policy strategyK
    >>| But we plan to solve this political problems, and also We will
    >>| make the detour.
    >>| Anyway, We feel your kind mindK Thanks
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://blog.thinkfree.com/2008/03/24...pril-7th-2008/

    > From the very blog you link to:
    >
    > Benedict said,
    > April 9, 2008 @ 6:51 pm
    >
    > Im marketing manager Benedict from ThinkFree.
    > So sorry, There are some mistakes and misunerstanding about supporting the
    > ODF.
    >
    > I want to clear those misunderstadings.
    > My previous comment is my personal view and not officialK
    > MS and ThinkFree have nothing to do with the matter.
    >
    > Im definitely in favor of your opinions.
    > We, and ThinkFree is proud of interoperabillity of variable document
    > format. and general users needs.
    >
    > We plan to release the official positions of ThinKFree about supporting the
    > ODF. First of all,,, I hope to support the ODF format !!!

    Incredible.

    So where is Linonut posting a "me too" message?

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  4. Re: [Roy Schestowitz does not do fact checking] Microsoft Actively Blocks ODF Support Using Secret Agreements

    Moshe Goldfarb is flatfish (aka: Gary Stewart)

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic