Popular laptops ... - Linux

This is a discussion on Popular laptops ... - Linux ; Yeah, Linux isn't popular, they can't even give it away, it's slopware, no-one wants to use it -- in other words: only idiots would try selling preinstalled Linux machines, because there's no demand for 'em whatsoever. The world only wants ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 42

  1. Popular laptops ...

    Yeah, Linux isn't popular, they can't even give it away, it's slopware,
    no-one wants to use it -- in other words: only idiots would try selling
    preinstalled Linux machines, because there's no demand for 'em whatsoever.
    The world only wants Windows, so that's why only Windows machines are on
    offer, and that's the way a proper market should work, right?

    Well, I guess it's up to those stupid Wintrolls then to explain the
    following:

    http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/asus...2817775-4.html

    "For less than $400, the Asus Eee PC 4G offers an impressive package for
    portable Web surfing and basic productivity, as long as you keep
    expectations tempered. The incredibly approachable price outweighs any
    shortcomings; it's a near perfect choice for a highly portable second or
    backup laptop."

    http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/04...ies_eee_rival/

    "Asus is believed to have sold over 1m Eees since the ground-breaking mini
    computer went on sale in October 2007. That's roughly 167,000 a month ...
    There's certainly been demand for the Asus product, though supply has
    frequently failed to meet it."

    FYI: that's at least 1% of all PC's and laptops sold, which isn't bad at all
    for any new product in the market, let alone a Linux product.

    http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/04...hes_eee_rival/

    Gosh, ever since the first XO laptops saw the light of day, manufacturers
    are falling over each other to offer extremely light affordable machines --
    which generally means these come preloaded with Linux, because Redmond's
    crapware is both too bloated and too expensive to be a viable choice.
    And it's funny, but these little machines are getting increasingly
    favourable reviews, and demand is steadily growing too ... Perhaps Linux
    isn't all that bad after all?

    Richard Rasker
    --
    http://www.linetec.nl/

  2. Re: Popular laptops ...

    On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 20:52:52 +0200, Richard Rasker wrote:

    > Yeah, Linux isn't popular, they can't even give it away, it's slopware,
    > no-one wants to use it -- in other words: only idiots would try selling
    > preinstalled Linux machines, because there's no demand for 'em whatsoever.
    > The world only wants Windows, so that's why only Windows machines are on
    > offer, and that's the way a proper market should work, right?
    >
    > Well, I guess it's up to those stupid Wintrolls then to explain the
    > following:
    >
    > http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/asus...2817775-4.html
    >
    > "For less than $400, the Asus Eee PC 4G offers an impressive package for
    > portable Web surfing and basic productivity, as long as you keep
    > expectations tempered. The incredibly approachable price outweighs any
    > shortcomings; it's a near perfect choice for a highly portable second or
    > backup laptop."

    > Richard Rasker

    Sure the laptop gets SOLD with Linux on it but the question is how many
    people are wiping Linux to install Windows?
    Evidently enough to make it worthwhile for Asus to announce a Windows
    loaded model.

    IOW the Laptop is a great little piece of hardware and that is why it is
    selling.
    The fact it runs Linux has absolutely nothing to do with it.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: Popular laptops ...

    On 2008-04-09, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    > On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 20:52:52 +0200, Richard Rasker wrote:
    >
    >> Yeah, Linux isn't popular, they can't even give it away, it's slopware,
    >> no-one wants to use it -- in other words: only idiots would try selling
    >> preinstalled Linux machines, because there's no demand for 'em whatsoever.
    >> The world only wants Windows, so that's why only Windows machines are on
    >> offer, and that's the way a proper market should work, right?
    >>
    >> Well, I guess it's up to those stupid Wintrolls then to explain the
    >> following:
    >>
    >> http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/asus...2817775-4.html
    >>
    >> "For less than $400, the Asus Eee PC 4G offers an impressive package for
    >> portable Web surfing and basic productivity, as long as you keep
    >> expectations tempered. The incredibly approachable price outweighs any
    >> shortcomings; it's a near perfect choice for a highly portable second or
    >> backup laptop."

    >> Richard Rasker

    > Sure the laptop gets SOLD with Linux on it but the question is how many
    > people are wiping Linux to install Windows?
    > Evidently enough to make it worthwhile for Asus to announce a Windows
    > loaded model.
    >
    > IOW the Laptop is a great little piece of hardware and that is why it is
    > selling.
    > The fact it runs Linux has absolutely nothing to do with it.

    Well, I've come across exactly 2 in the wild so far, just met the second
    the other day. And so far, both were running XP.

    --
    Tom Shelton

  4. Re: Popular laptops ...

  5. Re: Popular laptops ...

    On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 20:52:52 +0200, Richard Rasker wrote:

    > Yeah, Linux isn't popular, they can't even give it away, it's slopware,
    > no-one wants to use it -- in other words: only idiots would try selling
    > preinstalled Linux machines, because there's no demand for 'em whatsoever.
    > The world only wants Windows, so that's why only Windows machines are on
    > offer, and that's the way a proper market should work, right?

    Not exactly. Most users want Windows for desktop use, regardless of
    whether that's a mobile desktop or a fixed one.

    > Well, I guess it's up to those stupid Wintrolls then to explain the
    > following:
    >
    > http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/asus...2817775-4.html
    >
    > "For less than $400, the Asus Eee PC 4G offers an impressive package for
    > portable Web surfing and basic productivity, as long as you keep
    > expectations tempered. The incredibly approachable price outweighs any
    > shortcomings; it's a near perfect choice for a highly portable second or
    > backup laptop."

    The Eee isn't being used as a normal laptop, it's more like a large PDA.
    The PDA market has traditionally broken from desktop applications, and
    users don't expect their desktop applications to work on it.

    It's popular, but not for the same reasons that normal laptop is popular.
    The Eee would be popular no matter what OS it used, because end users don't
    typically load their own apps, or if they do they're apps written
    specifically for the Eee.

    A normal laptop, people expect to be compatible with their desktop
    applicaitons, and they use it as a mobile desktop.

  6. Re: Popular laptops ...

    KUTLOZE SCHEEFGEPOEPTE wrote:

    > **** off, George, your not very good at this!

    Who's George? Not too smart are you asswipe.

  7. Re: Popular laptops ...

    * Tom Shelton peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > On 2008-04-09, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    >> On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 20:52:52 +0200, Richard Rasker wrote:
    >>
    >>> Well, I guess it's up to those stupid Wintrolls then to explain the
    >>> following:
    >>>
    >>> http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/asus...2817775-4.html
    >>>
    >>> "For less than $400, the Asus Eee PC 4G offers an impressive package for
    >>> portable Web surfing and basic productivity, as long as you keep
    >>> expectations tempered. The incredibly approachable price outweighs any
    >>> shortcomings; it's a near perfect choice for a highly portable second or
    >>> backup laptop."

    >> Sure the laptop gets SOLD with Linux on it but the question is how many
    >> people are wiping Linux to install Windows?
    >> Evidently enough to make it worthwhile for Asus to announce a Windows
    >> loaded model.
    >>
    >> IOW the Laptop is a great little piece of hardware and that is why it
    >> is selling. The fact it runs Linux has absolutely nothing to do with
    >> it.

    Of course not. Except that it's running of Linux means the price can be
    significantly less.

    Kinda forgot about that, huh, "Moshe"?

    > Well, I've come across exactly 2 in the wild so far, just met the second
    > the other day. And so far, both were running XP.

    Let us know when your count tops 100.

    --
    At Microsoft there are lots of brilliant ideas but the image is that they
    all come from the top - I'm afraid that's not quite right.

  8. Re: Popular laptops ...

    * Erik Funkenbusch peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > The Eee isn't being used as a normal laptop, it's more like a large PDA.

    I dub thee "Whirligig Funkenbusch".

    What a post full of ****. Incredible.

    --
    At Microsoft there are lots of brilliant ideas but the image is that they
    all come from the top - I'm afraid that's not quite right.
    -- Bill Gates

  9. Re: Popular laptops ...

    On Wed, 9 Apr 2008 16:42:17 -0400, Linonut wrote:

    > * Erik Funkenbusch peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> The Eee isn't being used as a normal laptop, it's more like a large PDA.

    > I dub thee "Whirligig Funkenbusch".
    >
    >> The PDA market has traditionally broken from desktop applications, and
    >> users don't expect their desktop applications to work on it.
    >>
    >> It's popular, but not for the same reasons that normal laptop is popular.
    >> The Eee would be popular no matter what OS it used, because end users don't
    >> typically load their own apps, or if they do they're apps written
    >> specifically for the Eee.
    >>
    >> A normal laptop, people expect to be compatible with their desktop
    >> applicaitons, and they use it as a mobile desktop.

    > What a post full of ****. Incredible.

    It would help if you managed to actually counter what i've said with
    something.

    How am I wrong? Are Eee users installing Desktop apps? Are they even
    installing, on average, any apps at all?

  10. Re: Popular laptops ...

    Erik Funkenbusch illuminated comp.os.linux.advocacy by typing:
    > On Wed, 9 Apr 2008 16:42:17 -0400, Linonut wrote:
    >
    >> * Erik Funkenbusch peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >>
    >>> The Eee isn't being used as a normal laptop, it's more like a large PDA.

    >> I dub thee "Whirligig Funkenbusch".
    >>
    >>> The PDA market has traditionally broken from desktop applications, and
    >>> users don't expect their desktop applications to work on it.
    >>>
    >>> It's popular, but not for the same reasons that normal laptop is popular.
    >>> The Eee would be popular no matter what OS it used, because end users don't
    >>> typically load their own apps, or if they do they're apps written
    >>> specifically for the Eee.
    >>>
    >>> A normal laptop, people expect to be compatible with their desktop
    >>> applicaitons, and they use it as a mobile desktop.

    >> What a post full of ****. Incredible.

    > It would help if you managed to actually counter what i've said with
    > something.
    >
    > How am I wrong? Are Eee users installing Desktop apps? Are they even
    > installing, on average, any apps at all?

    No. They probably use it like a palm pilot.

    The reason I say probably, is because the OS in the palm pilot didn't
    matter one Iota. It was what it could do. Thers is a huge hole in the
    market and ASUS have seen it. Good on them.

    --
    Moog

    mashed potatoes"

  11. Re: Popular laptops ...

    Erik Funkenbusch writes:

    > On Wed, 9 Apr 2008 16:42:17 -0400, Linonut wrote:
    >
    >> * Erik Funkenbusch peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >>
    >>> The Eee isn't being used as a normal laptop, it's more like a large PDA.

    >> I dub thee "Whirligig Funkenbusch".
    >>
    >>> The PDA market has traditionally broken from desktop applications, and
    >>> users don't expect their desktop applications to work on it.
    >>>
    >>> It's popular, but not for the same reasons that normal laptop is popular.
    >>> The Eee would be popular no matter what OS it used, because end users don't
    >>> typically load their own apps, or if they do they're apps written
    >>> specifically for the Eee.
    >>>
    >>> A normal laptop, people expect to be compatible with their desktop
    >>> applicaitons, and they use it as a mobile desktop.

    >> What a post full of ****. Incredible.

    > It would help if you managed to actually counter what i've said with
    > something.
    >
    > How am I wrong? Are Eee users installing Desktop apps? Are they even
    > installing, on average, any apps at all?

    This is Liarnut you are talking to. You seem oblivious for some reason
    to the frequency he just replies totally at odds to or ignoring
    the contents of that post. I spotted this trend a good while back. He's
    nothing more than another spineless shill with little or no interest in
    arguing the facts only the man.

    --
    abuse me. I'm so lame I sent a bug report to debian-devel-changes
    -- Seen on #Debian

  12. Re: Popular laptops ...

    On Wed, 9 Apr 2008 15:50:23 -0400, Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
    >On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 20:52:52 +0200, Richard Rasker wrote:

    >> Yeah, Linux isn't popular, they can't even give it away, it's slopware,
    >> no-one wants to use it -- in other words: only idiots would try selling
    >> preinstalled Linux machines, because there's no demand for 'em whatsoever.
    >> The world only wants Windows, so that's why only Windows machines are on
    >> offer, and that's the way a proper market should work, right?

    >Not exactly. Most users want Windows for desktop use, regardless of
    >whether that's a mobile desktop or a fixed one.

    Yeah, just like how the original PC never took off because it couldn't run
    mainframe applications.

  13. Re: Popular laptops ...

    On 2008-04-09, Linonut wrote:
    > * Tom Shelton peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> Sure the laptop gets SOLD with Linux on it but the question is how many
    >>> people are wiping Linux to install Windows?
    >>> Evidently enough to make it worthwhile for Asus to announce a Windows
    >>> loaded model.
    >>>
    >>> IOW the Laptop is a great little piece of hardware and that is why it
    >>> is selling. The fact it runs Linux has absolutely nothing to do with
    >>> it.

    > Of course not. Except that it's running of Linux means the price can be
    > significantly less.
    >
    > Kinda forgot about that, huh, "Moshe"?
    >
    >> Well, I've come across exactly 2 in the wild so far, just met the second
    >> the other day. And so far, both were running XP.

    > Let us know when your count tops 100.

    Sorry - I don't get out enough to see that many

    --
    Tom Shelton

  14. Re: Popular laptops ...

    On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 14:59:32 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    > On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 20:52:52 +0200, Richard Rasker wrote:
    >
    >> Yeah, Linux isn't popular, they can't even give it away, it's slopware,
    >> no-one wants to use it -- in other words: only idiots would try selling
    >> preinstalled Linux machines, because there's no demand for 'em
    >> whatsoever. The world only wants Windows, so that's why only Windows
    >> machines are on offer, and that's the way a proper market should work,
    >> right?
    >>
    >> Well, I guess it's up to those stupid Wintrolls then to explain the
    >> following:
    >>
    >> http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/asus...2817775-4.html
    >>
    >> "For less than $400, the Asus Eee PC 4G offers an impressive package
    >> for
    >> portable Web surfing and basic productivity, as long as you keep
    >> expectations tempered. The incredibly approachable price outweighs
    >> any shortcomings; it's a near perfect choice for a highly portable
    >> second or backup laptop."

    >> Richard Rasker

    > Sure the laptop gets SOLD with Linux on it but the question is how many
    > people are wiping Linux to install Windows? Evidently enough to make it
    > worthwhile for Asus to announce a Windows loaded model.

    And how is that evident?

    > IOW the Laptop is a great little piece of hardware and that is why it is
    > selling.

    Partially correct.

    > The fact it runs Linux has absolutely nothing to do with it.

    Incorrect.

    --
    Rick

  15. Re: Popular laptops ...

    On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 14:42:56 -0500, Tom Shelton wrote:

    > On 2008-04-09, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    >> On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 20:52:52 +0200, Richard Rasker wrote:
    >>
    >>> Yeah, Linux isn't popular, they can't even give it away, it's
    >>> slopware, no-one wants to use it -- in other words: only idiots would
    >>> try selling preinstalled Linux machines, because there's no demand for
    >>> 'em whatsoever. The world only wants Windows, so that's why only
    >>> Windows machines are on offer, and that's the way a proper market
    >>> should work, right?
    >>>
    >>> Well, I guess it's up to those stupid Wintrolls then to explain the
    >>> following:
    >>>
    >>> http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/asus-u6s-

    a1/4540-3121_7-32817775-4.html

    >>> "For less than $400, the Asus Eee PC 4G offers an impressive package
    >>> for
    >>> portable Web surfing and basic productivity, as long as you keep
    >>> expectations tempered. The incredibly approachable price outweighs
    >>> any shortcomings; it's a near perfect choice for a highly portable
    >>> second or backup laptop."

    >>> Richard Rasker

    >> Sure the laptop gets SOLD with Linux on it but the question is how many
    >> people are wiping Linux to install Windows? Evidently enough to make it
    >> worthwhile for Asus to announce a Windows loaded model.
    >>
    >> IOW the Laptop is a great little piece of hardware and that is why it
    >> is selling.
    >> The fact it runs Linux has absolutely nothing to do with it.
    >>

    > Well, I've come across exactly 2 in the wild so far, just met the second
    > the other day. And so far, both were running XP.

    I wonder if those people shelled out for the 2 XP licenses?

    --
    Rick

  16. Re: Popular laptops ...

    On 2008-04-09, Rick wrote:
    > On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 14:42:56 -0500, Tom Shelton wrote:

    > a1/4540-3121_7-32817775-4.html

    >>> Sure the laptop gets SOLD with Linux on it but the question is how many
    >>> people are wiping Linux to install Windows? Evidently enough to make it
    >>> worthwhile for Asus to announce a Windows loaded model.
    >>>
    >>> IOW the Laptop is a great little piece of hardware and that is why it
    >>> is selling.
    >>> The fact it runs Linux has absolutely nothing to do with it.
    >>>

    >> Well, I've come across exactly 2 in the wild so far, just met the second
    >> the other day. And so far, both were running XP.

    > I wonder if those people shelled out for the 2 XP licenses?

    Don't know. I don't usually ask questions like that.

    --
    Tom Shelton

  17. Re: Popular laptops ...

    On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 17:20:59 -0500, AZ Nomad wrote:

    > On Wed, 9 Apr 2008 15:50:23 -0400, Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
    >>On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 20:52:52 +0200, Richard Rasker wrote:

    >>> Yeah, Linux isn't popular, they can't even give it away, it's slopware,
    >>> no-one wants to use it -- in other words: only idiots would try selling
    >>> preinstalled Linux machines, because there's no demand for 'em whatsoever.
    >>> The world only wants Windows, so that's why only Windows machines are on
    >>> offer, and that's the way a proper market should work, right?

    >>Not exactly. Most users want Windows for desktop use, regardless of
    >>whether that's a mobile desktop or a fixed one.

    > Yeah, just like how the original PC never took off because it couldn't run
    > mainframe applications.

    You appear to be misunderstanding me.

    My point is that people are using the Eee as an appliance, something they
    buy and ned use as-is, not as a general purpose PC in which they customize
    it by installing the applications they wish to use.

    My point is that they're using it like a PDA. Most people use PDA's (be
    they Windows Mobile, CE, etc.. Psion, Palm, Linux, whatever) exactly as it
    came out of the box, or with apps specifically written for that device
    (rather than the OS).

    Claiming that the Eee shows people want Linux is like claiming the TiVo
    shows people want Linux. They're typically indifferent to what OS is being
    used, they're just using whatever apps are installed on the device.

  18. Re: Popular laptops ...

    * Tom Shelton peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > On 2008-04-09, Linonut wrote:
    >>
    >> Let us know when your count tops 100.

    > Sorry - I don't get out enough to see that many

    That's okay, I ain't seen /1/ yet. Maybe they're a myth!

    And the only Macs? One at the faculty dental practice (eventually
    replaced with an XP box), and one a friend from California brought.

    --
    You see, antiquated ideas of kindness and generosity are simply bugs that
    must be programmed out of our world. And these cold, unfeeling machines will

  19. Re: Popular laptops ...

    * Erik Funkenbusch peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > On Wed, 9 Apr 2008 16:42:17 -0400, Linonut wrote:
    >
    >> * Erik Funkenbusch peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >>
    >>> The Eee isn't being used as a normal laptop, it's more like a large PDA.

    >> I dub thee "Whirligig Funkenbusch".
    >>
    >>> The PDA market has traditionally broken from desktop applications, and
    >>> users don't expect their desktop applications to work on it.
    >>>
    >>> It's popular, but not for the same reasons that normal laptop is popular.
    >>> The Eee would be popular no matter what OS it used, because end users don't
    >>> typically load their own apps, or if they do they're apps written
    >>> specifically for the Eee.
    >>>
    >>> A normal laptop, people expect to be compatible with their desktop
    >>> applicaitons, and they use it as a mobile desktop.

    >> What a post full of ****. Incredible.

    > It would help if you managed to actually counter what i've said with
    > something.
    >
    > How am I wrong? Are Eee users installing Desktop apps? Are they even
    > installing, on average, any apps at all?

    You have absolutely /no/ idea about the Eee PC usage profile.

    That's my point.

    Yet you go on blithely trying to cram the Eee PC into the PDA profile.

    --
    Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning.
    -- Bill Gates, Business @ The Speed of Thought (1999)

  20. Re: Popular laptops ...

    Linonut wrote:

    >* Erik Funkenbusch peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >>
    >> A normal laptop, people expect to be compatible with their desktop
    >> applicaitons, and they use it as a mobile desktop.

    >What a post full of ****. Incredible.

    What do you expect from the FUDmeister?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast