Portuguese Schools Learn About Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| As Microsoft understands - and as Apple first learned - if you get them
| young, you've pretty much got them forever. So it's good to see efforts being
| made to spread the open source word in the educational world, like this new
| effort by the Portuguese Ministry of Eduction...
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/20...bout-open.html

"They'll get sort of addicted, and then we'll somehow figure out how to collect
sometime in the next decade."

-- Bill Gates

Related:

Governments Must Reject Gates' $3 Bid to Addict Next Billion PC Users

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.cybersource.com.au/press/...t_billion.html

,----[ Quote ]
| In my country (Portugal) we have a very similar deal, available to all
| students and teachers in high school, which is subsidized by the
| cellphone/mobile ISP companies, the government and probably Microsoft, where
| you can get a laptop for 150 euros with a contract for 2 years for the mobile
| internet access with a nice discount from the usual monthly fees, from
| several well known laptop manufacturers (HP, Toshiba), and pretty decent
| machines also (Core Duo, 1 Gb RAM, the only downside is they all have
| integrated graphics cards), of course they all come with Windows Vista Home
| Premium as well. ┬* ┬* ┬* ┬* ┬*
`----

http://technocrat.net/d/2008/2/16/36312

IBM is still locked out of the Portuguese OOXML meeting

,----[ Quote ]
| In spite of various communications, we [IBM] are still locked out and will
| not be allowed to participate. Microsoft will be there, as well as a special
| Microsoft guest, as will various Microsoft business partners, and others.
`----

http://www.sutor.com/newsite/blog-open/?p=1755

Portugal: Votes Yes with Comments on OOXML

,----[ Quote ]
| Commitee presided over by Microsoft decides in it's favor 13-7:
|
| It's with much disgust that I see that after an initial membership controlled
| by Microsoft of 7 to 1, it was only possible to add the participation of 12
| more entities, 6 in favor of open standards, and 6 in favor of Microsoft. ┬*
|
| If from the the first meeting it was clear that there was a favorable support
| for Microsoft of 7 to 1, the voting just an hour ago of YES WITH COMMENTS is
| sadly revealing. ┬*
`----

http://www.groklaw.net/newsitems.php

Portugal's ISO says no room for IBM & Sun in the room ! ?

,----[ Quote ]
| [PJ: OpenXML.info is reporting (in Portuguese, but a Groklaw member
| translates for us) that the person who is head of the ISO technical committee
| about to vote on Microsoft's Ecma-376 wouldn't let IBM and Sun
| representatives in, claiming there was no room! This, if true, is ridiculous.
| And ┬*here is a second source reporting the same thing, also in Portuguese. So
| in the US, we hear reports of packing the TC. Now, it's weeding out those who
| are not likely to vote a certain way desired? Is this how standards
| get "approved"? I don't recall ODF having to play such games. Here is the
| rough translation:] ┬* ┬* ┬* ┬*
|
| Portugal, and more concretely, its national organization of certification IPQ
| is a member "O" (observator) of ISO/IEC for the voting of OOXML (ISO DIS
| 29500). ┬*
|
| WARNING: the first meeting of the Technical Commission "Language for document
| definition" was on Monday 16 of July. The vote was delayed. Representatives
| of IBM and Sun were not allowed to attend because there "was no available
| space in the room" ┬*
|
| Dear G [Sun Microsystems] due of restricted number of members of the CT
| (Commissao Tecnica) that can attend the scheduled meeting room to host the
| meeting, we cannot, in this stage, accept your proposal of integration of the
| CT. ┬*
|
| With my best regards,
| D [Microsoft as president of the Technical Commission]
`----

More here:

http://mv.asterisco.pt/2007/Jun/cat.cgi?MS%20OOXML

,----[ Quote ]
> [...]
|
| ┬* ┬* ┬* A Technical Commission (CT) did not exist when ISO 26300 (Open
| ┬* ┬* ┬* Document) was submitted neither when there was a submission of OOXML
| ┬* ┬* ┬* (ECMA 376, potential ISO 29500) for the the fast track, and that was
| ┬* ┬* ┬* the reason why Portugal did not submit any opinion nor had any right to
| ┬* ┬* ┬* vote. We expect that now, with the pressure made and the CT created
| ┬* ┬* ┬* there would be right to vote. ┬* ┬*
|
| ┬* ┬* ┬* The CT was created by the Computing Institute, in which is delegated
| ┬* ┬* ┬* the responsability for the norms of the IT sector; a delegation granted
| ┬* ┬* ┬* by the Portuguese Institute of Quality (IPQ), the point of contact of
| ┬* ┬* ┬* ISO in Portugal. Its creation is motivated mainly by the pressures and
| ┬* ┬* ┬* availability of some people when the proposal for fast tracking of
| ┬* ┬* ┬* OOXML and a neccessity to avail now the OOXML as standard ISO and as a
| ┬* ┬* ┬* Portuguese National Standard ┬* ┬* ┬*
|
| ┬* ┬* ┬* In the meeting they were present:
|
| ┬* ┬* * 2 persons from II (Instituto de Informatica [Computing Institute])
| ┬* ┬* * 1 person from the local government (Alentejo region)
| ┬* ┬* * 1 person from Jurinfor [Jurinfor is a Microsoft partner]
| ┬* ┬* * 2 persons from Microsoft
| ┬* ┬* * 1 person from Primavera [Primavera is a Microsoft partner]
| ┬* ┬* * 1 person from ISCTE
| ┬* ┬* * 2 persons from Assoft [reportedly, most members of ASSOFT are Microsoft
| ┬* ┬* partners]
| ┬* ┬* * 1 person from the Inst. Informatica da Seg Social [Computing Institute
| ┬* ┬* of the Social Welfare Department]
| ┬* ┬* * 1 person from the Inst. Tecn. Informacao da Justi├ža (eu) [Technical
| ┬* ┬* Institute Information of Justice (eu)]
|
| The meeting dealt basically with the bureaucracy details of the creation of
| the CT. It didn't go into details of OOXML; that discussion will be held in
| the next meeting, on July 16th about 14:30 in the II [Instituto de
| Informatica, I assume] ┬*
|
| The CT, thus, was composed of 8 vocal elements, one representative for each
| of the organizations present. The II [Instituto de Informatica] is arranging
| and hosting the initiative and is a not-named representative. ┬*
|
| The 8 vocals will readily follow to the election of the president of the CT.
| There was 1 candidate in the place (Miguel Sales Dias, from Microsoft). I did
| not present my candidature but made myself available in case the rest of
| representatives deemed it neccesary -- informed not adequate since to begin
| with, as a member of the OpenDocument Alliance, I had a conflict of interest. ┬* ┬*
|
| The vote results were 7 votes in favor of Miguel Sales Dias, of Microsoft,
| who was designated to preside over the CT, and a (1) blank vote.
|
| It was decided to adopt consensus as the form of adoption of any proposed
| norm, following to majority vote in case there is no consensus in the CT and
| if there is a strong opposition to submit any norm. ┬*
`---