Why modular Windows will suck for Microsoft and suck for you

,----[ Quote ]
| Modularization - and the discriminatory pricing it permits - might appeal to
| accountants and economists. But it is bad for consumers, bad for Windows, and
| ultimately, bad for Microsoft. A modularized Windows, or worse still, a
| modularized subscription-based Windows, undermines the purpose and value of
| the Windows OS. If it comes to pass it will surely sound the death knell of
| the entire Windows platform.

The Marvels of Modularity

,----[ Quote ]
| One word that has cropped up time and again on this blog is "modularity".
| It's one of the prime characteristics of the open source way - and one of its
| greatest strengths. Now wonder, then, that Microsoft has finalled cottoned
| on - helped, no doubt, by the abject failure of its Vista monster *
| [...]
| Needless to say, though, even in making this sensible move, Microsoft manages
| to add a touch of absurdity:
| * * Unsurprisingly, Microsoft already has a patent on a "modular operating
| * * system" concept. *
| A *patent* on modularity? Give me a break....

Microsoft to Release Modular Operating Systems

,----[ Quote ]
| Confirming Gartner's prediction, Microsoft has filed for a patent with
| the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office for a modular operating system.
| The title of Microsoft's patent applications is "System and method
| for delivery of a modular operating system."
| [...]
| Instead of releasing a complete operating system, Microsoft will
| fragment the product, delivering a universal and basic core OS, and
| allowing the users to built upon the nucleus OS with additional
| operating system segments. In this manner, users will be enabled
| to buy the fundamental Windows Modular operating system and then
| add components, capabilities, features, each fragment with its own
| price tag and license.

Red Hat release renews OS debate

,----[ Quote ]
| Makers of "software appliances" are using the launch as an opportunity
| to predict that the days of the monolithic OS are numbered. They say
| the future lies in a modular system in which software runs with only
| enough lines of OS code to make it work.
| Some see promise in the appliance alternative to the OS, while
| skeptics think large enterprises will still need a general-purpose OS.
| The same questions arose recently around the launch of Microsoft
| Corp. Windows Vista. A trio of Gartner Inc. analysts published a
| report in 2006 that said the increasing complexity of Windows
| makes it "unsustainable." Gartner predicted Windows will be
| broken up into modular components.

Raising the abstraction level in open source

,----[ Quote ]
| Our view is that project plans are the latest evolutionary bump
| in the abstraction level - plans are the 'source' for the steps
| that enables the completion of a goal.

The Benefits of Modular Programming

,----[ Quote ]
| Consider how Linux distributions work. RedHat's Fedora, Mandriva, SUSE,
| and Debian all contain largely the same applications, written by the
| same people. The distributor simply packages them and provides the
| "glue" to install them together.

Internet Radio in NetBSD and Linux without KDE or GNOME

,----[ Quote ]