[News] [Rival] Microosft Jack Bets on 5 Years Between Vista and "7" (aka "Vapor") - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] [Rival] Microosft Jack Bets on 5 Years Between Vista and "7" (aka "Vapor") - Linux ; Hypesphere: nothing to Gates' Windows 7 "next year" quote ,----[ Quote ] | In a world of tech reporting where one's memory apparently stretches back not | to the great Longhorn reboot but instead no further than one's breakfast, Mr. ...

  1. [News] [Rival] Microosft Jack Bets on 5 Years Between Vista and "7" (aka "Vapor")

    Hypesphere: nothing to Gates' Windows 7 "next year" quote

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | In a world of tech reporting where one's memory apparently stretches back not
    | to the great Longhorn reboot but instead no further than one's breakfast, Mr.
    | Gates' totally vague comment morphs into a product launch announcement, at
    | least once the blogosphere gets ahold of it.
    |
    | Nevermind the fact that Mr. Gates has been wrong before about launch
    | timeframes. Nevermind the fact that "the next year or so" does not equate
    | to "next year," at least not in the English language. And nevermind that
    | Microsoft's public relations wing says that Gates' comments do not indicate a
    | change in the development process at Windows. The above quote is surely a
    | sign that we'll see Windows 7 in retail in a year's time. (And if you believe
    | that, I've got a patent on the semi-colon key I'll sell ya.)
    `----

    http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...ear-quote.html

    This didn't stop the BBC from airing a Microsoft commer^H^Hrticle _this
    morning_ (long after the Microsoft correction).

    Gates hints at Vista 'successor'

    Microsoft Jack:

    Silly stories about Windows 7

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | So if Microsoft says 2010 and you assume 2011, you'll be right more often
    | than wrong. Yes, it is possible that Steve Sinofsky -- the new guy from
    | Office who has taken over Windows -- will actually get his first version out
    | on time. He's good. But still, I'll believe it when it happens.
    |
    | Quite why anybody's bothered about Windows 7 at this stage remains a mystery.
    | Nobody knows what it will be like, except that it's based on Vista, with all
    | the same plumbing, not on XP.
    `----

    http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/technolo...windows_7.html

    Recent:

    BBC pinches hot new columnist from Microsoft

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/12...s_bbc_secrets/

    Feeling the heat at Microsoft

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | you who is Microsoft's biggest competitor now, who would it be? *

    | to go with that.*
    `----

    BBC Director General grilled by MPs on iPlayer

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | During the meeting there is discussion of iPlayer’s total cost to the licence
    | fee-payer - the BBC representatives are unable to give a figure, but start
    | the bidding at £20m, excluding staff costs. Thomson gives incorrect
    | information - that Mac and Linux versions of iPlayer have the same
    | functionality as Windows versions - and has to change his evidence at the
    | end. Perhaps it was this confusion that prompted Dr John Pugh MP to follow up
    | the encounter with a letter direct to Mark Thomson today discussing platform
    | neutrality in greater detail. A copy of this letter has been passed to the
    | Open Rights Group.
    `----

    http://www.openrightsgroup.org/2008/...ps-on-iplayer/

    Related:

    Beeb slammed for 'fawning' to Bill Gates

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | BBC viewers have flooded the corporation with complaints over how it
    | covered the launch of Microsoft Vista earlier this week.
    |
    | In one cringingly servile interview worthy of Uriah Heep, the
    | Beeb's news presenter Hugh Edwards even thanked Gates at the
    | end of it, presumably in appreciation at being allowed to give
    | the Vole vast coverage for free.
    |
    | In other TV news items presenters excitedly explained how Vistac
    | ould be obtained and installed - details courtesy of the BBC's
    | website.
    |
    | But British viewers, currently forced to pay a £131.50 licence
    | fee to maintain the BBC's "impartiality", were less than impressed.
    |
    | Scores got in touch to complain that so much was Auntie up Bill's
    | bum that you could barely see her corset.
    `----

    http://slated.org/bbc_microsoft_bias

    Why Linux Users Should Be Furious At BBC

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Recently the BBC had a bit of a wake up call regarding numbers and how many
    | Linux users were really out there. Why does any of this matter? It has to do
    | with something the BBC provides called the iPlayer. Seriously, relying on
    | ActiveX is so "1990's" that it's painful, and as luck would have it, the
    | Linux users who wish to use this BBC player made sure that the BBC knew that
    | they were making the sought after content inaccessible to those people using
    | Linux. * * *
    |
    | No iPlayer for Linux Users, But There Will Be An Alternative. Based on what I
    | have been able to gather thus far, it looks like we will see an Adobe Flash
    | option coming out soon. Then again, who really cares? Seriously, if the BBC
    | is this foolish to ignore how much Linux growth is taking place both in the
    | UK as well as the surrounding countries, then maybe people ought to be
    | looking elsewhere? Is it because this is indeed, the BBC? So there is the
    | belief that this is the people's media? Up until now, I enjoyed much of what
    | the BBC had to offer, but this entire thing is enough to have pushed me away. * * *
    `----

    http://www.osweekly.com/index.php?op...731&Itemid=449

    Microsoft : Windows 7 still in planning stage and will take approximately 3
    years to develop.
    *
    ,----[ Quote ]

    http://www.winvistaclub.com/i7.html

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | From nathanm Mon Oct 01 11:42:05 1990
    | To: billg; bradsi;
    | Subject: SPARC, MIPS & Compaq
    | DateL Tue Oct 02, 22:57:14 1990
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | The purpose of announcing early like this is to freeze the market at the
    | * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    | OEM and ISV level. In this respect it is JUST like the original Windows
    | announcement ..
    |
    | One might worry that this will help Sun because we will just have
    | * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    | vaporware, that people will stop buying 486 machines, that we will have
    | ^^^^^^^^^
    | endorsed RISC but not delivered .. So, Scott, do you really think you
    | can fight that avalanche?
    `----

    http://edge-op.org/iowa/www.iowacons...LEX_0411_A.pdf

    Imaginary Innovations

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft, Intel and Motorola were especially vocal in promoting
    | alliances with media brands that, a year later, have fizzled or
    | haven't come to fruition at all.
    |
    | Last year, Microsoft pumped up the crowds about its URGE music
    | service, which it created in conjunction with Viacom's MTV. But
    | while MTV is just now beginning to promote the service, Microsoft
    | seems to have moved on in favor of the Zune Marketplace and the
    | potential of satellite TV on Media Center PCs and Xbox 360s.
    `----

    http://www.forbes.com/2007/01/04/vap...rtner=yahootix
    http://tinyurl.com/y8fdkr

    Vaporware '06: Return of the King

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | 8. The "IPod Killer"
    |
    | Every time we hear about a new portable audio device, it's touted
    | as the magic bullet that will end the iPod's reign once and for
    | all.
    |
    | Oh, you mean that thing? The one with the ugly design and clunky
    | user interface? Does it at least work with iTunes?
    |
    | Microsoft's Zune was supposed to do the trick, but it's sitting
    | on the shelves (even the SanDisk Sansa is selling better than Zune)w
    | hile the kids are all enjoying their freshly unwrapped, shiny new
    | iPods.
    |
    | Note to everyone: It's a White Wire World. Get over it.
    `----

    http://www.wired.com/news/technology...ory_page_next1

    Microsoft Murders Max

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Well, it's official at any rate. Contrary to what you've heard, Windows
    | Vista will not be shipping with any of the original technologies,
    | features, capabilities, or subsystems originally promised (and for
    | those of you that really couldn't tell: it's called sarcasm!). First
    | it was the real Aero - complete visual control over one's system.
    | Amazing graphics, sidebars that were a part of the Windows Core,
    | Aero Diamond. Then it was NGSCB and its amazing security features
    | - not DRM, but total privacy control; your privacy. Monad. Last
    | we heard, it was WinFS, the king-pin feature that was promised
    | to change the way you think of data... And now the last one is
    | gone: Microsoft Max is dead.
    `----

    http://neosmart.net/blog/archives/277

    Microsoft exec "guarantees" graphical superiority for 360 titles

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The idea of a "guarantee" of better-looking titles is substantially
    | silly, however. Graphics quality is often subjective, and without a
    | clear horsepower advantage of one system over the other, it will be
    | difficult if not impossible to claim that titles on one system look better
    | than those on another.
    `----

    More than half of Microsoft Vista needs re-writing

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "Up to 60% of the code in the new consumer version of Microsoft new Vista
    | operating system is set to be rewritten..."
    `----

    Microsoft admits Vista screwed - report

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Vista SP1 is code named "Fiji", presumably after a pretty looking
    | island which is paralysed by coups.
    |
    | In a statement regarding the service pack Microsoft admits that
    | Vista has "high impact" problems.
    `----

    MS Insider: The Office Crew Isn't Smart Enough to Supplant Real Windows
    Developers

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "With Alchin retiring, MarkL and MarkZ, two of the most talented
    | architects in MS already having left, the picture gets really
    | ugly for the Windows division," my friend claimed, and the BV's
    | core team members, Ian McDonald, Jack Mayo, Todd Wanke, Clyde
    | Rodriguez and others are starting to connect the dots.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | He concluded ominously. "A trainwreck of biblical proportions looms.
    | Pick a good seat on the sidelines, trainwrecks this large take
    | awhile to complete. Vista may be the last MS OS for some time to
    | come, especially if Cutler decides to play hardball."
    `----

    http://www.emailbattles.com/2006/09/...ws-developers/
    http://tinyurl.com/35eqrt

  2. Re: [News] [Rival] Microosft Jack Bets on 5 Years Between Vista and "7" (aka "Vapor")

    On 2008-04-07, Roy Schestowitz claimed:

    >| ......Nevermind the fact that "the next year or so" does not equate
    >| to "next year," at least not in the English language......

    I knew it. Erik got that trait from his dad. He cain't hep it. It's a
    congenital birth defect.

    --
    Change is inevitable. Except from vending machines.

+ Reply to Thread