[News] Everex Introduces Another New GNU/Linux PC - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Everex Introduces Another New GNU/Linux PC - Linux ; Everex's new MyMiniPC: $500 and gOS-powered ,----[ Quote ] | Everex is popping off a new gOS powered box tonight, given the unfortunate | monicker of MyMiniPC. While $500 is way more than enough to get you started | on ...

  1. [News] Everex Introduces Another New GNU/Linux PC

    Everex's new MyMiniPC: $500 and gOS-powered

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Everex is popping off a new gOS powered box tonight, given the unfortunate
    | monicker of MyMiniPC. While $500 is way more than enough to get you started
    | on a low-end Windows box (and even most of the way there toward a Mac mini),
    | the MyMiniPC comes equipped with a 1.86GHz Pentium T2130 and 512MB RAM
    | running gOS "Space", a 120GB drive, DVD±RW, firewire, four USB 2.0 ports, DVI
    | and S-Video out gigabit Ethernet, media reader, and standard audio ins/outs.
    `----

    http://www.engadget.com/2008/04/07/e...d-gos-powered/

    Looks nice.

    Related:

    CloudBooks may use Intel's Diamondville processor

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Everex is refreshing its CloudBook line of ultraportable, Linux-based
    | notebooks with redesigned models that may eventually include low-power Intel
    | Diamondville processors, bigger screens, and more storage. *
    `----

    http://www.infoworld.com/article/08/...ndville_1.html

    Everex Names ZaReason Authorized Reseller of $199 gPC

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "Most of the people who buy systems from us want some type of
    | customization," states ZaReason CEO, Cathy Malmrose. "Our entire R&D
    | department is driven by people asking for different components or unique
    | configurations. We anticipate this system will be purchased by Linux users
    | for their family and friends over the holidays."
    `----

    http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/st...4717232&EDATE=

    Modest new PC costs just $199

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I found the gPC and its gOS operating system easy to use.
    |
    | For example, just clicking anywhere on the open desktop brings up an
    | equivalent to the Windows Start menu, and right-clicking gets you a menu of
    | popular programs. I also like the Package Manager, a part of Ubuntu, which
    | finds and easily installs dozens of free and open-source programs.
    `----

    http://www.baltimoresun.com/business...0,161094.story

    A short look at gOS

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | So after downloading the gOS Live ISO onto my Debian Etch system I started
    | Innotek’s VirtualBox, bound the freshly downloaded ISO as a CD-ROM, made a
    | 4GB virtual hard disk image for installing it, gave that virtual computer
    | 256MB of RAM, and started... *
    `----

    http://blog.thedebianuser.org/?p=255

    Gosh, gOS is good

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I really liked gOS. It's a cute little system with lots of functionality and
    | great looks. It works well and is fast and stable on my laptop. It should
    | work on any computer that any other Linux supports. Enlightenment is an
    | impressive desktop environment, and the iBar is a low-overhead way to blend
    | cool effects with needed functionality. I think users will like it. * *
    `----

    http://www.linux.com/feature/121151

    ReviewLinux.Com: gOS is worth looking into....

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Everybody is going Green. I take a quick look at the new kid on the block.
    | gOS 1.0.1 was released earlier this month and I take a short screenshot tour
    | of this "Green" Linux OS. Check out the short flash video too. * *
    `----

    http://www.reviewlinux.com/?m=show&id=8247

  2. Re: Everex Introduces Another New GNU/Linux PC

    On Apr 7, 10:23 am, Roy Schestowitz
    wrote:
    > Everex's new MyMiniPC: $500 and gOS-powered
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Everex is popping off a new gOS powered box tonight, given the unfortunate
    > | monicker of MyMiniPC. While $500 is way more than enough to get you started
    > | on a low-end Windows box (and even most of the way there toward a Mac mini),
    > | the MyMiniPC comes equipped with a 1.86GHz Pentium T2130 and 512MB RAM
    > | runninggOS "Space", a 120GB drive, DVDRW, firewire, four USB 2.0 ports, DVI
    > | and S-Video out gigabit Ethernet, media reader, and standard audio ins/outs.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.engadget.com/2008/04/07/e...-500-and-gos-p...
    >
    > Looks nice.

    Definitely gonna give this one a whirl. I gave up on the E17 version
    of gOS 2.0. Even though it looks nice, E17 is just way too buggy for
    general-purpose use.

  3. Re: Everex Introduces Another New GNU/Linux PC

    On Apr 9, 11:11 pm, Roy Schestowitz
    wrote:
    > ____/ Darth Chaos on Thursday 10 April 2008 01:40 : \____
    >

    > > On Apr 7, 10:23 am, Roy Schestowitz
    > > wrote:
    > >> Everex's new MyMiniPC: $500 and gOS-powered

    > >> ,----[ Quote ]
    > >> `----

    > >>http://www.engadget.com/2008/04/07/e...-500-and-gos-p...

    > >> Looks nice.

    > > Definitely gonna give this one a whirl. I gave up on the E17 version
    > > of gOS 2.0. Even though it looks nice, E17 is just way too buggy for
    > > general-purpose use.

    > gOS is moving to GNOME the last time I read about it.

    Yeah. Even the "Ultimate Edition" of the E17 version of gOS I put out
    - put out to add easy user creation and enhanced multimedia and
    upgrade some programs to their then-recent versions, especially Pidgin
    and GIMP - doesn't change the fact that E17 is way too buggy for
    general-purpose use.

  4. Re: Everex Introduces Another New GNU/Linux PC

    In article
    ,
    Darth Chaos wrote:
    > Definitely gonna give this one a whirl. I gave up on the E17 version
    > of gOS 2.0. Even though it looks nice, E17 is just way too buggy for
    > general-purpose use.

    Review at Wired, with comparison to its obvious inspiration:

    --
    --Tim Smith

  5. Re: Everex Introduces Another New GNU/Linux PC

    On Apr 10, 12:43 pm, Tim Smith
    wrote:
    > In article
    > ,
    > Darth Chaos wrote:
    >
    > > Definitely gonna give this one a whirl. I gave up on the E17 version
    > > of gOS 2.0. Even though it looks nice, E17 is just way too buggy for
    > > general-purpose use.

    > Review at Wired, with comparison to its obvious inspiration:
    >

    > --
    > --Tim Smith

    Well I noticed how the ISO is a tad over 700 MB, so once I get a
    chance, I'm gonna try to remaster it into a CD edition.

+ Reply to Thread