Open source the biggest potential game changer for government: Senator Lundy

,----[ Quote ]
| Senator Lundy, a former Shadow Minister for IT, said she'd elected to focus
| on open source as the biggest potential game changer across the portfolios
| she's involved in.
|
| [...]
|
| "The key issue that needs to be solved is independent invention. IP doesn't
| cope with the commonly occurring 'idea whose time has come' - the patent
| system considers that a crime," Tridgell said.
`----

http://www.itnews.com.au/News/73376,...tor-lundy.aspx

Recent:

Open source increases its share

,----[ Quote ]
| BUSINESS generated directly from open source software in Australia is worth
| about $300 million a year, with government a large contributor to the pie, a
| study shows. *
`----

http://www.australianit.news.com.au/...rom=public_rss

Local Government Urged to Consider Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| The senior IT officer from a West Australian shire says open source software
| can provide a way forward for councils suffering budgetary constraints.
`----

http://www.cio.com.au/index.php/id;546692901

Related:

Governments slammed for anti-competitive software tendering practices * *

,----[ Quote ]
| A leading Australian open source advocate has called for an end for to
| tender lock-outs of competitors to Microsoft, claiming the practice
| is costing Australian taxpayers tens of millions of dollars each
| year.
`----

Feds revise IT procurement model

,----[ Quote ]
| The federal government has launched version two of the SourceIT
| model contracts and user notes aimed at simplifying procurement of
| information technology 12 months after the first version.
`----

Governments Must Reject Gates' $3 Bid to Addict Next Billion PC Users

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.cybersource.com.au/press/...t_billion.html