Letter: Misunderstandings over open-source software harm local IT industry

,----[ Quote ]
| Shuttleworth is of course part of the IT industry. His company, Canonical, is
| a business based on FOSS. Canonical's revenue comes from implementing FOSS
| business models. There are many other companies, including fairly substantial
| multinationals, that use FOSS and hybrid FOSS/proprietary business models to
| gain revenue. Among them are Sun Microsystems, IBM, Novell, Red Hat and
| others.
|
| [...]
|
| The minister talked about the need for open standards. Who would implement
| such standards but the IT industry? The article presents the impression that
| the minister's call for open standards is somehow against that very industry.
| The article clearly sets up the notion of FOSS and open standards as being
| anti-Microsoft, which is equally absurd. If the particular standard that is
| at the heart of current debate is accepted, Microsoft will obviously be one
| of its implementers because to do otherwise would be suicide.
`----

http://www.busrep.co.za/index.php?fS...icleId=4337584

Geraldine Fraser-Moleketi apprently received rebuttals/smears for 'ruining' the
industry by supporting truly open standards (ODF) and opposing intellectual
monopolies. Where might /that/ have come from? "Open" and "open source"
meanwhile continue to get abused. Latest example:

How Open Source (Ideas) Can Win the War and Save the Auto Industry

,----[ Quote ]
| I am often dismayed by the misappropriation of the term open source.
| Companies apply the term to products that are free though not open source.
| It’s a classic marketing maneuver to leverage a brand that already has broad
| recognition.
|
| A clothing company sent me a release not too many months ago about their new
| open source clothing line. After close inspection they meant design your own
| outfit from their catalog of designs that they owned. It wasn’t open source
| but I recall a number of open source trade publications picking up the story.
| Good marketing stunt but not accurate.
`----

http://socializedsoftware.com/2008/0...auto-industry/

Related and recent: