Torvalds minions and the Linux fanatic .. - Linux

This is a discussion on Torvalds minions and the Linux fanatic .. - Linux ; "If you've been following the current rift in the Linux community between Linus Torvalds and his minions squaring off against Con Kolivas and the mainstream Linux fanatics" "while I agree that some Linux distributions are ready for the "big time," ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

  1. Torvalds minions and the Linux fanatic ..

    "If you've been following the current rift in the Linux community
    between Linus Torvalds and his minions squaring off against Con Kolivas
    and the mainstream Linux fanatics"

    "while I agree that some Linux distributions are ready for the "big
    time," they're typically not the best and they lose sight of what makes
    Linux great: security, advanced functionality and outstanding usability"

    "When Walt Mossberg of The Wall Street Journal reviewed Ubuntu on Dell
    machines, he explained that Linux is too troublesome for the average
    consumer .. this was the kiss of death for Ubuntu on a Dell"

    "The Linux community is an interesting group. Much like Republicans and
    Democrats"

    http://www.news.com/

    --

    They must be getting desperate ...

  2. Re: Torvalds minions and the Linux fanatic ..

    Doug Mentohl wrote:
    > "If you've been following the current rift in the Linux community
    > between Linus Torvalds and his minions squaring off against Con
    > Kolivas and the mainstream Linux fanatics"
    >
    > "while I agree that some Linux distributions are ready for the "big
    > time," they're typically not the best and they lose sight of what
    > makes Linux great: security, advanced functionality and outstanding
    > usability"
    > "When Walt Mossberg of The Wall Street Journal reviewed Ubuntu on Dell
    > machines, he explained that Linux is too troublesome for the average
    > consumer .. this was the kiss of death for Ubuntu on a Dell"
    >
    > "The Linux community is an interesting group. Much like Republicans
    > and Democrats"
    >
    > http://www.news.com/

    > They must be getting desperate ...

    uh huh. Telling the truth about the squabbles in the Linux developer
    "community" and talking about the actual hassles of using Linux day-to-day
    are clearly acts of desperation. We all know Linux Is Perfect - why doesn't
    the rest of the world?

  3. Re: Torvalds minions and the Linux fanatic ..

    DFS wrote:

    >> They must be getting desperate ...

    > uh huh ..

    SCO .. SCO .. SCO .. SCO .. SCO .. SCO .. SCO .. SCO .. SCO .. SCO ..
    SCO .. SCO .. SCO .. SCO .. SCO .. SCO .. SCO .. SCO .. SCO .. SCO ..
    SCO .. SCO .. SCO .. SCO .. SCO .. SCO .. SCO .. SCO .. SCO .. SCO ..
    SCO .. SCO .. SCO .. SCO .. SCO .. SCO .. SCO .. SCO .. SCO .. SCO ..
    SCO .. SCO .. SCO .. SCO .. SCO .. SCO .. SCO .. SCO .. SCO .. SCO ..
    SCO .. SCO .. SCO .. SCO .. SCO .. SCO .. SCO .. SCO .. SCO .. SCO ..
    SCO .. SCO .. SCO .. SCO .. SCO .. SCO .. SCO .. SCO .. SCO .. SCO ..
    SCO .. SCO .. SCO .. SCO .. SCO .. SCO .. SCO .. SCO .. SCO .. SCO ..
    SCO .. SCO .. SCO .. SCO .. SCO .. SCO .. SCO .. SCO .. SCO .. SCO ..
    SCO .. SCO .. SCO .. SCO .. SCO .. SCO .. SCO .. SCO .. SCO .. SCO ..
    SCO .. SCO .. SCO .. SCO .. SCO .. SCO .. SCO .. SCO .. SCO .. SCO ..
    SCO .. SCO .. SCO .. SCO .. SCO .. SCO .. SCO .. SCO .. SCO .. SCO

  4. Re: Torvalds minions and the Linux fanatic ..

    "Doug Mentohl" wrote in message

    > They must be getting desperate ...

    Not so clear as to who "they" are. Any hints?

  5. Re: Torvalds minions and the Linux fanatic ..

    amicus_curious wrote:

    > Not so clear as to who "they" are. Any hints?

    You and the vast army of paid Astro.Turfers haunting the Blogo.Sphere ..

  6. Re: Torvalds minions and the Linux fanatic ..

    > amicus_curious wrote:
    >
    >> Not so clear as to who "they" are. Any hints?

    > You and the vast army of paid Astro.Turfers haunting the Blogo.Sphere ..

    It seems as if you attibute any disparaging word or even a mild question in
    regard to Linux and/or OSS in general as being "paid for", presumably by
    Microsoft. Why would you think that this is the case? Symmetry in nature
    would seem to predict that for every whack job Linux supporter there would
    be a Windows apologist regardless. Do you also believe that someone is
    paying the Linux proponents here? Perhaps Microsoft is paying a few, as has
    been suggested, as a way of making Linux advocacy seem shrill and mindless,
    but why would they need to pay those who already favored their cause?

  7. Re: Torvalds minions and the Linux fanatic ..

    amicus_curious wrote:

    > "Doug Mentohl" wrote in message
    >> amicus_curious wrote:

    >>> Not so clear as to who "they" are. Any hints?

    >> You and the vast army of paid Astro.Turfers haunting the Blogo.Sphere ..

    It resembles your attibute any disparagement as if a word even temperate
    question and/or OSS looks like "about Linux to pay in brief", according
    to extrapolation by Microsoft. Why can you believe that, this is the
    actual situation? Symmetrically in the nature can predict as if that for
    every time hits hard works Linux supporter there to be able to be window
    defending no matter how. You also believed that, some person pays Linux
    supporter here? Perhaps Microsoft and was suggested pays some, because
    makes the Linux support way to be as if grating and unconsciousness, but
    why did they meet need to pay these already to favor their cause?

  8. Re: Torvalds minions and the Linux fanatic ..

    DFS wrote:

    > Doug Mentohl wrote:
    >> "If you've been following the current rift in the Linux community
    >> between Linus Torvalds and his minions squaring off against Con
    >> Kolivas and the mainstream Linux fanatics"
    >>
    >> "while I agree that some Linux distributions are ready for the "big
    >> time," they're typically not the best and they lose sight of what
    >> makes Linux great: security, advanced functionality and outstanding
    >> usability"
    >> "When Walt Mossberg of The Wall Street Journal reviewed Ubuntu on Dell
    >> machines, he explained that Linux is too troublesome for the average
    >> consumer .. this was the kiss of death for Ubuntu on a Dell"
    >>
    >> "The Linux community is an interesting group. Much like Republicans
    >> and Democrats"
    >>
    >> http://www.news.com/

    >> They must be getting desperate ...

    > uh huh. Telling the truth about the squabbles in the Linux developer
    > "community" and talking about the actual hassles of using Linux day-to-day
    > are clearly acts of desperation. We all know Linux Is Perfect - why
    > doesn't the rest of the world?

    Most branches of engineering demand conservativeness, as that which is being
    produced is generally quite expensive, and an error in judgement could cost
    Millions if not Billions. Software engineering is very different, the cost
    of development is relatively low and the ability to think outside of the
    box is promoted as it may be the difference between success and also ran.

    The result is that top software engineers are just as much artists as
    engineers. The artistic side of software engineers also tends to make them
    passionate. It is this passion that makes a great senior software engineer.
    It is also this passion that can result in heated debates over design.

    It is very common to have long discussions in the workshops that go into
    defining the architecture of the next release. It is also common that these
    discussions can become extremely passionate. Linus seems to do a very good
    job of keeping the developers on track. It is however always possible that
    someone is not happy with the final decision. The important thing is that a
    decision is made.

    The article in question it taking a swipe at Linux for something that is
    common place in CSS development. It simply happens behind closed doors.
    Clearly the author of the article has no idea about project management or
    software development. The article has all the appearance of just being a
    troll.

    Ian

  9. Re: Torvalds minions and the Linux fanatic ..

    On 21 Sep, 18:54, "amicus_curious" wrote:
    > "Doug Mentohl" wrote in message

    > > amicus_curious wrote:

    > >> Not so clear as to who "they" are. Any hints?

    > > You and the vast army of paid Astro.Turfers haunting the Blogo.Sphere ..

    > It seems as if you attibute any disparaging word or even a mild question in
    > regard to Linux and/or OSS in general as being "paid for", presumably by
    > Microsoft. Why would you think that this is the case?

    I don't know, and don't care, if /you/ are a paid astroturfer.
    However, it is a fact that Microsoft has paid people to infest forums,
    newsgroups and the like, hailing to the high heavens how wonderful
    Windows is and lying their collective butts off about the
    "unuseability" of Linux. Hence the term "astroturfers" - this is
    artificial grass-roots support for Microsoft.

    If you're /not/ a paid shill, I suggest you contact Microsoft post-
    haste. The crap you come out with should be worth a few bucks. If
    you don't like the accusation that you're in their employ, I suggest
    you stop acting like you are.

  10. Re: Torvalds minions and the Linux fanatic ..

    > amicus_curious wrote:
    >

    >> "Doug Mentohl" wrote in message

    >>> You and the vast army of paid Astro.Turfers haunting the Blogo.Sphere ..

    > It resembles your attibute any disparagement as if a word even temperate
    > question and/or OSS looks like "about Linux to pay in brief", according to
    > extrapolation by Microsoft. Why can you believe that, this is the actual
    > situation? Symmetrically in the nature can predict as if that for every
    > time hits hard works Linux supporter there to be able to be window
    > defending no matter how. You also believed that, some person pays Linux
    > supporter here? Perhaps Microsoft and was suggested pays some, because
    > makes the Linux support way to be as if grating and unconsciousness, but
    > why did they meet need to pay these already to favor their cause?

    At a loss, eh? Well, don't feel so bad. You're riding a dying horse.

  11. Re: Torvalds minions and the Linux fanatic ..

    "dapunka" wrote in message
    news:1190399344.109936.274630@19g2000hsx.googlegro ups.com...
    > On 21 Sep, 18:54, "amicus_curious" wrote:
    >> "Doug Mentohl" wrote in message

    >> > You and the vast army of paid Astro.Turfers haunting the Blogo.Sphere
    >> > ..

    >> It seems as if you attibute any disparaging word or even a mild question
    >> in
    >> regard to Linux and/or OSS in general as being "paid for", presumably by
    >> Microsoft. Why would you think that this is the case?

    > I don't know, and don't care, if /you/ are a paid astroturfer.
    > However, it is a fact that Microsoft has paid people to infest forums,
    > newsgroups and the like, hailing to the high heavens how wonderful
    > Windows is and lying their collective butts off about the
    > "unuseability" of Linux. Hence the term "astroturfers" - this is
    > artificial grass-roots support for Microsoft.
    >
    > If you're /not/ a paid shill, I suggest you contact Microsoft post-
    > haste. The crap you come out with should be worth a few bucks. If
    > you don't like the accusation that you're in their employ, I suggest
    > you stop acting like you are.

    Me thinks your tin-foil helmet is on a bit too tight.

  12. Re: Torvalds minions and the Linux fanatic ..

    DFS wrote:

    > uh huh. Telling the truth about the squabbles in the Linux developer
    > "community" and talking about the actual hassles of using Linux day-to-day
    > are clearly acts of desperation.

    Yes. Clearly. And you're about to prove that with practiced ease, all by
    your lonesome...

    > We all know Linux Is Perfect - why doesn't
    > the rest of the world?

    Nobody but you ever said anything like that at all. Your puerile
    blustering and bombast only means one thing... your desperation is
    showing. Like a flashing hot pink neon "DEAR GOD HELP US" sign
    permanently affixed to your protruding forehead.

    Thank you for your assistance in this matter. You can pick up your
    consolation prize from the nice man at the door on your way out.

  13. Re: Torvalds minions and the Linux fanatic ..

    amicus_curious wrote:

    > "Doug Mentohl" wrote in message
    > >
    > > They must be getting desperate ...

    > Not so clear as to who "they" are. Any hints?

    Own a mirror do you?

  14. Re: Torvalds minions and the Linux fanatic ..

    Doug Mentohl wrote:
    > DFS wrote:
    >
    >>> They must be getting desperate ...

    >> uh huh ..

    > SCO .. SCO .. SCO .. SCO .. SCO .. SCO .. SCO .. SCO .. SCO .. SCO ..

    A desperate MS Corporation would be filing patent infringement suits against
    all the big vendors, and maybe against individuals (much like the RIAA does
    to students), not entering into agreements to enhance interop between Win
    and Lin servers.

  15. Re: Torvalds minions and the Linux fanatic ..

    Doug Mentohl wrote:
    > amicus_curious wrote:
    >
    >> Not so clear as to who "they" are. Any hints?

    > You and the vast army of paid Astro.Turfers haunting the Blogo.Sphere
    > ..

    Name one. You can't, of course.

    Conversely, virtually every Linux writer (== anti-MS idiot) is paid to make
    stupid statements about Microsoft.

    There is no more shrieking, petulant group in the computing world than the
    weirdos calling themselves "Linux advocates". Everyone else, be they
    Windows or Mac or Unix users) goes about their computing business and gets
    their work and play done. But Linux morons, having too much time on their
    hands and having hit developers block on how to make their crappy code run,
    create boycottNovell and BadVista websites.

  16. Re: Torvalds minions and the Linux fanatic ..

    Ian Hilliard wrote:

    > Most branches of engineering demand conservativeness, as that which
    > is being produced is generally quite expensive, and an error in
    > judgement could cost Millions if not Billions. Software engineering
    > is very different, the cost of development is relatively low and the
    > ability to think outside of the box is promoted as it may be the
    > difference between success and also ran.
    >
    > The result is that top software engineers are just as much artists as
    > engineers.

    I like this statement. I wouldn't call myself a "software engineer", but I
    consider some of my Access/VB systems to be works of art (insomuch as a
    database app can be artistic). I approach them with various goals: solving
    the business need is first always, then I have to consider tradeoffs between
    stability, clarity of code and documentation, speed, features,
    user-friendliness, etc.

    > The artistic side of software engineers also tends to make
    > them passionate. It is this passion that makes a great senior
    > software engineer. It is also this passion that can result in heated
    > debates over design.

    I would expect nothing less from dedicated kernel developers (or developers
    of any serious piece of software).

    > It is very common to have long discussions in the workshops that go
    > into defining the architecture of the next release. It is also common
    > that these discussions can become extremely passionate. Linus seems
    > to do a very good job of keeping the developers on track.

    I read a recent interview where he stated he doesn't write much code these
    days: he does lots of work integrating others' code into the kernel. As I
    recall, he spent a lot of time emailing.

    > It is
    > however always possible that someone is not happy with the final
    > decision. The important thing is that a decision is made.

    hmm... you may be right... I can't decide...

    > The article in question it taking a swipe at Linux for something that
    > is common place in CSS development. It simply happens behind closed
    > doors. Clearly the author of the article has no idea about project
    > management or software development. The article has all the
    > appearance of just being a troll.

    Maybe, but it says a lot about the world of Linux kernel development that
    someone so dedicated to improving the Linux desktop experience (Con Kolivas)
    would take the drastic step of quitting that work, rather than continuing to
    bang his head against a non-yielding core. Course, I don't know the whole
    story.

  17. Re: Torvalds minions and the Linux fanatic ..

    Anonymous wrote:
    > DFS wrote:

    >> We all know Linux Is Perfect - why doesn't
    >> the rest of the world?

    > Nobody but you ever said anything like that at all.

    What?

    cola idiot rapskat: "I think Linux is perfect for the average user."

    idiot Jeff Relf: "Linux is perfect for Libraries."

    Various cola threads:

    "Why Linux is perfect for a internet desktop machine"
    "Why Linux is perfect for the imperfect person...."
    "Linux a Perfect Match for Small and Midsized Companies"

  18. Re: Torvalds minions and the Linux fanatic ..

    amicus_curious wrote:

    > "Doug Mentohl" wrote in message
    > > amicus_curious wrote:
    > >
    > >> Not so clear as to who "they" are. Any hints?

    > > You and the vast army of paid Astro.Turfers haunting the Blogo.Sphere ..

    > It seems as if you attibute any disparaging word or even a mild question in
    > regard to Linux and/or OSS in general as being "paid for", presumably by

    It doesn't "seem" like anything of the sort leghumpper, it's the
    incessant ****wittery of you and your species that's being questioned.

    If I were you I'd go with paid astroturfing. It's a whole lot less
    embarrassing than admitting you're really so mentally defective you
    behave the way you do. At least being compensated gives you a facade of
    credibility.

    > Microsoft. Why would you think that this is the case?

    Because it's hard for intelligent people to comprehend such an
    abhorrent lack of common sense and reason sometimes. They're looking
    for a way to rationalize you imbecility.

    Personally, I believe you when you say you really are just plain old
    stump stupid.

  19. Re: Torvalds minions and the Linux fanatic ..

    DFS wrote:

    > There is no more shrieking, petulant group in the computing world than the
    > weirdos calling themselves "Linux advocates". *Everyone else, be they
    > Windows or Mac or Unix users) goes about their computing business and gets
    > their work and play done. *But Linux morons, having too much time on their
    > hands and having hit developers block on how to make their crappy code
    > run, create boycottNovell and BadVista websites.

    "Time on their hands"

    How many posts have you shat out today?

    --
    Regards,

    Gregory.
    Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

  20. Re: Torvalds minions and the Linux fanatic ..

    On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 20:58:29 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > Doug Mentohl wrote:
    >> amicus_curious wrote:
    >>
    >>> Not so clear as to who "they" are. Any hints?

    >> You and the vast army of paid Astro.Turfers haunting the Blogo.Sphere
    >> ..

    > Name one. You can't, of course.
    >
    > Conversely, virtually every Linux writer (== anti-MS idiot) is paid to make
    > stupid statements about Microsoft.

    Really? I'd like to see how you prove *that* idiotic statement. Ever
    considered some of them might simply dislike MS on principle?

    > There is no more shrieking, petulant group in the computing world than the
    > weirdos calling themselves "Linux advocates". Everyone else, be they

    Don''t talk such bollocks. It only makes you look even more biased and
    stupid that you already have.

    > Windows or Mac or Unix users) goes about their computing business and
    > gets their work and play done. But Linux morons, having too much time
    > on their hands and having hit developers block on how to make their
    > crappy code run, create boycottNovell and BadVista websites.

    You condemn an entire comunity on the actions a a handful of people in
    COLA? And you *still* claim you're honest? Don't make me laugh. You've
    already pre-judged the entire Linux community when you call us 'Linux
    morons' without any evidence beyond the behaviour of a few.

    What about all the hysterical nonsense written about Linux by anti-Linux
    loonies? By your argument, that should make every pro-MS writer a frothing
    madman, too.

    --
    Kier

+ Reply to Thread