[News] GNU/Linux Fits Everywhere, But Hidden from Sight - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] GNU/Linux Fits Everywhere, But Hidden from Sight - Linux ; The hidden world of Linux ,----[ Quote ] | There are many great FOSS projects that utilise old PC hardware and give it a | new lease of life. The best is desktop computing with various Linux | distribution flavours ...

  1. [News] GNU/Linux Fits Everywhere, But Hidden from Sight

    The hidden world of Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | There are many great FOSS projects that utilise old PC hardware and give it a
    | new lease of life. The best is desktop computing with various Linux
    | distribution flavours like Mint, PCLinux, Ubuntu and countless others. In
    | fact it is my considered belief that the best hardware to run Linux on is
    | infact (almost) any machine that is at least 12 months old. It is possible,
    | of course, to select components based on the degree (and maturity) of the
    | specific support under Linux but this has two major drawbacks.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Not only do such projects look to modify embedded Linux devices, but some
    | great projects have sprung up to utilise old PCs every household seems to
    | accumulate in order to fulfil a number of key uses. For example,
    | comprehensive firewall distributions like IPCop or Smoothwall or NAS
    | distributions like FreeNAS (although this is based on BSD.) These are not
    | dirty hacked operating systems either but very mature, streamlined, low
    | memory footprint distributions which run headlessly. Being totally
    | administered through a web browser makes these distributions feel extremely
    | professional and polished (even if the archaic hardware they are running on
    | doesn’t) this being coupled by the extraordinary amount of options present
    | really makes these projects an extraordinary example of the flexibility of
    | Linux/BSD.
    `----

    http://whyamistilltyping.wordpress.c...orld-of-linux/

    Recent:

    Linux everywhere

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Take yesterday as a case in point. *I checked the order status of my Elonex
    | One, and sent an email to see if my order for the One can be upgraded to the
    | One+ (bluetooth, and bigger internal memory). *I then caught the train to the
    | Queen Elizabeth hospital, watching the in-train tv which is powered by some
    | Linux flavour (given the error message I saw a few weeks back). *Visiting my
    | friend Simon at the QE, he’s spotted that the tv/phone/internet screens that
    | each patient has are powered by Linux. *This is of course when he’s not
    | tapping away on his Asus EEE, and hopefully writing the next Da Vinci Code
    | (only better). * * * *
    `----

    http://andyhollyhead.wordpress.com/2...ux-everywhere/

    Linux is truly everywhere

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I spent a long time smiling about the Linux bootup screen that I had just
    | seen. To begin with, it reminded me that Linux, and other open-source
    | products, are now everywhere. Linux is no longer for the uber-geeks. It's not
    | just for system administrators and programmers, either. Linux is now at the
    | core of mainstream appliances, there even when you don't think that a
    | computer or operating system might be involved. * *
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Finally, Moore's Law and the general trend toward cheaper and faster hardware
    | means that Linux now fits into even more places than it did before. We
    | normally think of Linux as an operating system for servers, or even for
    | desktop computers. But we can expect Linux to be at the heart of a growing
    | number of appliances, from video-on-demand devices to digital video recorders
    | (e.g., TiVo), to cellphones (e.g., Android and OpenMoko). The Linux-powered
    | refrigerator, with a built-in bar-code scanner that can tell you how long ago
    | you bought milk, isn't far behind. * * *
    `----

    http://ostatic.com/158401-blog/linux...uly-everywhere

    What CAN’T Linux do?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | 1. The story mentioned above. A man installs Linux on sixteen Playstation 3s
    | (with zero hardware modifications), clusters them together, and creates a
    | system to simulate black holes. *
    | 2. Installing Linux on a Mac. I was just reading the most recent Wired
    | magazine that has a good story on how Apple has created a very closed system
    | where only Apple software plays on Apple hardware. Hello Yellow Dog Linux! I
    | have run Linux on an iBook - it was sweet. *
    | 3. Routers. We all know that Linux works well on routers. OpenWRT installs
    | well on many Linksys routers.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | 11. Airplane black boxes. Montavista uses a Carrier Grade Linux to power
    | in-flight recorders.
    | 12. Brain surgery. Yep. This Linux-powered robot helps in brain surgery.
    `----

    http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/opensource/?p=186

  2. Re: [News] GNU/Linux Fits Everywhere, But Hidden from Sight

    On Sun, 06 Apr 2008 15:53:15 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > The hidden world of Linux

    Linux is hidden alright.

    In fact it's hidden so well that only about 0.6 percent of desktop users
    can find it!!

    Even the BBC has desktop Linux pegged at 0.8 percent.
    This figure is high IMHO.

    Considering Linux has been around for 10 years at least, that is a totally
    pathetic number.

    Maybe somebody can tell us where Linux is hiding?

    Or maybe the real reason is that Linux is so bad, people down load it, try
    it and dump it shortly afterwards.

    That would make sense considering the wild numbers the Linux loons like to
    publish concerning downloads of Linux.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: [News] GNU/Linux Fits Everywhere, But Hidden from Sight

    Moshe Goldfarb is flatfish (aka: Gary Stewart)

    Traits:

    Frequently cross posts replies to other non-Linux related newsgroups

+ Reply to Thread