[News] Ubuntu GNU/Linux Too Easy to Set Up, New Release Promising - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Ubuntu GNU/Linux Too Easy to Set Up, New Release Promising - Linux ; Ubuntu experiments in dynamic world ,----[ Quote ] | I just wonder, if I have to do this with windows, I could spend days to | installing that Office and other proprietary softwares and struggle with | activation/registration nightmare. Now ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28

  1. [News] Ubuntu GNU/Linux Too Easy to Set Up, New Release Promising

    Ubuntu experiments in dynamic world

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I just wonder, if I have to do this with windows, I could spend days to
    | installing that Office and other proprietary softwares and struggle with
    | activation/registration nightmare. Now I have platform with all necessary
    | capabilities in base system and user data and some minor applications needs
    | to be installed before switch.
    |
    | See you, Microsoft.
    `----

    http://squaremotion.blogspot.com/200...mic-world.html

    Anticipating Ubuntu 8.04

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Can't hardly wait for the new release of Ubuntu (version 8.04). Only 19 days
    | left, and I'm expecting Ejam to download it as soon as its available. From
    | what I have seen so far, it's got almost all of the stuff I need on an
    | applications software. I'm so excited.
    `----

    http://hierophyte.blogspot.com/2008/...buntu-804.html

    This one is real and 2.5 weeks away, unlike Microsoft's latest vapourware,
    which is intended to just slow down defections/desertions.

    Recent:

    A Look at the upcoming Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Conclusion : Ubuntu 8.04 Beta promises a lot and is shaping up to be a
    | interesting update .The most important change/addition in 8.04 is
    | simplification of installation procedure with inclusion of tool like Wubi
    | making installation of Ubuntu on Windows based systems really easy. Firefox 3
    | and Brasero are welcome addition to Ubuntu . Also Ubuntu 8.04 seems pretty
    | nippier and faster compared to the earlier releases . In short Ubuntu 8.04 is *
    | turning out to be an update worth waiting for . * *
    `----

    http://linuxondesktop.blogspot.com/2...rdy-heron.html

    Ubuntu Linux 8.04 final release set for April 24

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | When they're released in final form on April 24, the new server and desktop
    | variants of Ubuntu Linux Version 8.04 will include features aimed at making
    | the open-source operating system easier to deploy and use. *
    `----

    http://www.computerworld.com/action/...icleId=9074438

    First Impressions: Ubuntu 8.04 Beta

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | It was pretty easy to make a judgment about 8.04–it’s a great step forward
    | for Ubuntu and the distribution is looking better than ever. This is more or
    | less what people say after each release, but it’s really impressive to see
    | how far things have come over the past few generations. It’s still a beta so
    | you should give it some time before moving it to a mission critical system,
    | but once it is officially released Hardy Heron is going to be a great choice
    | for both your desktop and notebook (with just a few customizations). If you
    | haven’t tried Ubuntu, definitely give the live CD a shot and don’t be afraid
    | to give it a go alongside a Windows installation if you simply can’t part
    | ways with XP or Vista. * * * *
    `----

    http://www.geek.com/first-impressions-ubuntu-804-beta/

    New Ubuntu 8.04 Beta Refines The Linux Desktop

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Canonical, makers of the popular Ubuntu Linux, have released a beta of "Hardy
    | Heron," the next version of Ubuntu.
    `----

    http://blog.wired.com/monkeybites/20...-804-beta.html

    Ubuntu 8.04 LTS Hardy Heron Beta [Screenshots]

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | There's just about a month left until Ubuntu 8.04 is officially introduced,
    | but the second to the last testing release is now available. The Ubuntu 8.04
    | beta came out last night and hardens up Hardy Heron on both the desktop and
    | server ends for this first LTS (Long Term Support) release in nearly two
    | years. The Canonical team and all involved free software projects have done a
    | phenomenal job and Ubuntu 8.04 is shaping up to be their best release yet.
    | Ubuntu 8.04 ships with many GNOME enhancements found in the recent 2.22
    | release, PulseAudio integration, virtualization improvements, and it uses the
    | Linux 2.6.24 kernel. * * * *
    `----

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...804_beta&num=1

  2. Re: [News] Ubuntu GNU/Linux Too Easy to Set Up, New ReleasePromising

    On Sun, 06 Apr 2008 12:51:25 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    > On Sun, 06 Apr 2008 15:57:10 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> Ubuntu experiments in dynamic world

    > Yea.
    > It's dynamic alright!
    >
    > The Ubuntu group has 62 pages worth of Ubuntu crashes, freezes up, locks
    > up etc on it's users.
    >
    > Great "dynamic" product you have there Roy.
    >
    > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ghlight=freeze

    And how many forum pages are devoted to Windows problems?

    --
    Rick

  3. Re: [News] Ubuntu GNU/Linux Too Easy to Set Up, New Release Promising

    Moshe Goldfarb is flatfish (aka: Gary Stewart)

    Traits:

    Frequently cross posts replies to other non-Linux related newsgroups

  4. Re: [News] Ubuntu GNU/Linux Too Easy to Set Up, New ReleasePromising

    On Sun, 06 Apr 2008 12:51:25 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    > On Sun, 06 Apr 2008 15:57:10 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> Ubuntu experiments in dynamic world

    > Yea.
    > It's dynamic alright!
    >
    > The Ubuntu group has 62 pages worth of Ubuntu crashes, freezes up, locks
    > up etc on it's users.
    >
    > Great "dynamic" product you have there Roy.
    >
    > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ghlight=freeze

    A Google search for Vista freezes brings 520,000 hits: http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=vista
    +freezes&btnG=Google+Search&meta=
    Ubuntu freezes 224,000 http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...G=Search&meta=
    (if it really matters that much).

    I have to honestly speak as I find, and I believe that an operating system should be easy to use and somewhat
    transparent to the user. I don't hate Windows, but really like Linux for many reasons.
    My latest acquisition, a Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop came with Windows Vista Premium Edition installed, and I
    was apprehensive about compatibility if I made a switch to Linux in the future, but as Vista was there, I'd give it
    a good try, and not dismiss it out of hand.

    The laptop took well over four minutes to boot, and opening My Documents (when it did get to a desktop) took
    over a minute and a half (with nothing inside it). Opening a RTF file locked the laptop completely, and a hard-
    reset was needed. Random lock-ups and freezes occurred randomly, even when using Wordpad, and I
    resorted to enrolling the help of a MSCE certified friend to help me. After spending two hours trying numerous
    drivers for video, chipset, etc. etc., he suggested sending the laptop back as it 'May have a hardware problem',
    and went away muttering about Vista (he is an XP fan). My heart sank, but before putting everything back in
    the box, I booted a live Ubuntu CD, just to try. Everything worked, and I deliberated long and hard, but
    eventually took the plunge and installed it.
    No lock-ups, no freezes. I came to the conclusion that there was probably nothing wrong at all with the laptop,
    just the software it came with. I have been using Ubuntu on it daily for the last two months, with no problems at
    all.

    But unfortunately, the story doesn't end there. I tried Mandriva One 2008 (which I purchased last year). No
    sound, no Network. PCLos found the sound, but not the video card, screen resolution or network adaptor.
    Same with Open Suse, so I have had to keep with a Linux which works *on this machine*.

    I think that all the majority of users want is a computer to work every day for them, and I feel that it is just wrong
    to hate or mock any operating system simply because it is not Windows (or Linux for that matter).

    I want an operating system that is stable, with a good out of the box experience, no command lines, no major
    *playing* to get the OS to run, and good support. A MSCE could not get this laptop going reliably using Vista.
    Ubuntu works for me with no problems or major issues. Surely that means something? My MSCE friend now
    uses Ubuntu daily now as his main desktop, and he has only praise for the operating system, but has made it
    look like Vista. You can't completely win them all!

    Ubuntu is getting damn close to being an alternative to Windows, but my experience of different Linux distros
    are more inconsistent and vary immensely.

    All the best
    Tony(UK)

  5. Re: [News] Ubuntu GNU/Linux Too Easy to Set Up, New Release Promising

    On Sun, 06 Apr 2008 20:23:23 GMT, Tony Smith wrote:

> [...]

    > I think that all the majority of users want is a computer to work every day for them, and I feel that it is just wrong
    > to hate or mock any operating system simply because it is not Windows (or Linux for that matter).
    >
    > I want an operating system that is stable, with a good out of the box experience, no command lines, no major
    > *playing* to get the OS to run, and good support. A MSCE could not get this laptop going reliably using Vista.
    > Ubuntu works for me with no problems or major issues. Surely that means something? My MSCE friend now
    > uses Ubuntu daily now as his main desktop, and he has only praise for the operating system, but has made it
    > look like Vista. You can't completely win them all!
    >
    > Ubuntu is getting damn close to being an alternative to Windows, but my experience of different Linux distros
    > are more inconsistent and vary immensely.

    Post left in tact...

    If you read my posts you will see that I am certainly no fan of Vista.
    I hate it in fact.

    As for Ubuntu, it's decent but I feel PCLinuxOS is a better distribution.

    Linux is getting close as far as the OS is concerned but the lack of
    quality desktop applications is holding it back.
    The lack of total integration with electronic gadgets like PDA, Phones,
    iPod and iPod like devices is another.

    People don't want to use some half done, half working, featureless
    application.
    They want to sync to Outlook and use the applications that were designed
    for their device and which came with their device.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  6. Re: [News] Ubuntu GNU/Linux Too Easy to Set Up, New ReleasePromising

    On Sun, 06 Apr 2008 16:34:18 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    > If you read my posts you will see that I am certainly no fan of Vista. I
    > hate it in fact.
    >
    > As for Ubuntu, it's decent but I feel PCLinuxOS is a better
    > distribution.
    >
    > Linux is getting close as far as the OS is concerned but the lack of
    > quality desktop applications is holding it back. The lack of total
    > integration with electronic gadgets like PDA, Phones, iPod and iPod like
    > devices is another.
    >
    > People don't want to use some half done, half working, featureless
    > application.
    > They want to sync to Outlook and use the applications that were designed
    > for their device and which came with their device.

    Moshe

    I read every post here, good or bad. I read as much as my illness allows, and thrive on learning; not just about
    Linux and computers, but about human nature as well.

    I agree entirely that many applications are confusing to new (and sometimes intermediate) Linux users, many
    being eternally beta and development sporadic. But, I hope this will improve in time, with support from the likes
    of Google Summer Code and companies like Canonical and eventually big-name software companies.

    The wife syncs her phone on her Windows machine - but she has to use the software supplied with her phone
    by the manufacturer.
    I can sync my PDA on my Linux box and her Windows machine, but have to install software on hers to do this.
    MP3 players (I cannot comment on iPods, as having taken one apart, it is my opinion that they are the most
    poorly made piece of expensive tat I have ever experienced in all my years of engineering) have not posed a
    problem on Windows or Linux, with no additional software when inserted into a USB port.
    Syncing Evolution or other clients to Outlook would contravene Microsoft patents, but Novell's partnership with
    Microsoft may make this possible in the future, if it isn't now.

    What I am trying to say is, there is software available for Windows to do just about everything you list and more
    but in many cases, it has to be installed first. It is a little unfair to expect all the devices that have their own
    software in Windows to be able to run on a bare Linux box until such device manufacturers also make
    software to support their devices in Linux.

    You say you prefer PCLinuxOS to Ubuntu - as this is based on Mandrake (Mandriva) but uses Synaptic, would
    this be like saying someone preferred Linux Mint or any one of the other Ubuntu-based distros to Ubuntu?
    Why are there so many distros based on one another, when everyone could pool their skills to make one great
    Linux system? I don't get it - perhaps I'll get an answer one day.

    All the best,
    Tony(UK)

  7. Re: [News] Ubuntu GNU/Linux Too Easy to Set Up, New Release Promising

    Tony Smith writes:

    > You say you prefer PCLinuxOS to Ubuntu - as this is based on Mandrake (Mandriva) but uses Synaptic, would
    > this be like saying someone preferred Linux Mint or any one of the other Ubuntu-based distros to Ubuntu?
    > Why are there so many distros based on one another, when everyone could pool their skills to make one great
    > Linux system? I don't get it - perhaps I'll get an answer one day.

    According to COLA dweebs its better to be able to choose between 3
    broken ones than have one broken one and one working one. Honestly - you
    could not not make it up. It's all about choice.

  8. Re: [News] Ubuntu GNU/Linux Too Easy to Set Up, New Release Promising

    On Sun, 06 Apr 2008 21:31:01 GMT, Tony Smith wrote:

    > On Sun, 06 Apr 2008 16:34:18 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    >
    >> If you read my posts you will see that I am certainly no fan of Vista. I
    >> hate it in fact.
    >>
    >> As for Ubuntu, it's decent but I feel PCLinuxOS is a better
    >> distribution.
    >>
    >> Linux is getting close as far as the OS is concerned but the lack of
    >> quality desktop applications is holding it back. The lack of total
    >> integration with electronic gadgets like PDA, Phones, iPod and iPod like
    >> devices is another.
    >>
    >> People don't want to use some half done, half working, featureless
    >> application.
    >> They want to sync to Outlook and use the applications that were designed
    >> for their device and which came with their device.

    > Moshe
    >
    > I read every post here, good or bad. I read as much as my illness allows, and thrive on learning; not just about
    > Linux and computers, but about human nature as well.
    >
    > I agree entirely that many applications are confusing to new (and sometimes intermediate) Linux users, many
    > being eternally beta and development sporadic. But, I hope this will improve in time, with support from the likes
    > of Google Summer Code and companies like Canonical and eventually big-name software companies.
    >
    > The wife syncs her phone on her Windows machine - but she has to use the software supplied with her phone
    > by the manufacturer.
    > I can sync my PDA on my Linux box and her Windows machine, but have to install software on hers to do this.
    > MP3 players (I cannot comment on iPods, as having taken one apart, it is my opinion that they are the most
    > poorly made piece of expensive tat I have ever experienced in all my years of engineering) have not posed a
    > problem on Windows or Linux, with no additional software when inserted into a USB port.
    > Syncing Evolution or other clients to Outlook would contravene Microsoft patents, but Novell's partnership with
    > Microsoft may make this possible in the future, if it isn't now.
    >
    > What I am trying to say is, there is software available for Windows to do just about everything you list and more
    > but in many cases, it has to be installed first. It is a little unfair to expect all the devices that have their own
    > software in Windows to be able to run on a bare Linux box until such device manufacturers also make
    > software to support their devices in Linux.
    >
    > You say you prefer PCLinuxOS to Ubuntu - as this is based on Mandrake (Mandriva) but uses Synaptic, would
    > this be like saying someone preferred Linux Mint or any one of the other Ubuntu-based distros to Ubuntu?
    > Why are there so many distros based on one another, when everyone could pool their skills to make one great
    > Linux system? I don't get it - perhaps I'll get an answer one day.
    >
    > All the best,
    > Tony(UK)

    What you say is true for the most part Tony.
    Yes, a lot of ready to go applications etc come with Linux and with Windows
    these need to be installed.
    For most people this is just a matter of inserting a DVD and hitting enter
    a couple of times.
    No big problem.

    Linux however DOES have the built in advantage of easy restore should the
    system crash due to software or hardware where as Windows requires the user
    to now go and locate all those disks, do all the individual updates etc.

    Of course a $40.00 investment in Acronis or even using one of the free
    tools to image the drive once in a while is a huge time saver.

    The average person doesn't however.

    As for your why so many closely related versions of Linux, Hadron answered
    you very well and I agree with what he said.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  9. Re: [News] Ubuntu GNU/Linux Too Easy to Set Up, New Release Promising

    "Rick" wrote in message
    news:QvadnZuUt5JdgmTanZ2dnUVZ_t7inZ2d@supernews.co m...
    > On Sun, 06 Apr 2008 12:51:25 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 06 Apr 2008 15:57:10 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>
    >>> Ubuntu experiments in dynamic world

    >> Yea.
    >> It's dynamic alright!
    >>
    >> The Ubuntu group has 62 pages worth of Ubuntu crashes, freezes up, locks
    >> up etc on it's users.
    >>
    >> Great "dynamic" product you have there Roy.
    >>
    >> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ghlight=freeze

    > And how many forum pages are devoted to Windows problems?

    Googling for "Windows problems" yeilded about 18,500,000 results

    Googling for "Ubuntu problems" yielded 1,060,000 results.

    Guess Ubuntu wins.

  10. Re: [News] Ubuntu GNU/Linux Too Easy to Set Up, New Release Promising

    On Mon, 07 Apr 2008 03:06:36 GMT, Canuck57 wrote:

    > "Rick" wrote in message
    > news:QvadnZuUt5JdgmTanZ2dnUVZ_t7inZ2d@supernews.co m...

    >>> Yea.
    >>> It's dynamic alright!
    >>>
    >>> The Ubuntu group has 62 pages worth of Ubuntu crashes, freezes up, locks
    >>> up etc on it's users.
    >>>
    >>> Great "dynamic" product you have there Roy.
    >>>
    >>> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ghlight=freeze

    >> And how many forum pages are devoted to Windows problems?

    > Googling for "Windows problems" yeilded about 18,500,000 results
    >
    > Googling for "Ubuntu problems" yielded 1,060,000 results.
    >
    > Guess Ubuntu wins.

    Considering Linux has 0.6 percent of the desktop, Windows wins.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  11. Re: [News] Ubuntu GNU/Linux Too Easy to Set Up, New Release Promising

    "Canuck57" writes:

    > "Rick" wrote in message
    > news:QvadnZuUt5JdgmTanZ2dnUVZ_t7inZ2d@supernews.co m...

    >>> Yea.
    >>> It's dynamic alright!
    >>>
    >>> The Ubuntu group has 62 pages worth of Ubuntu crashes, freezes up, locks
    >>> up etc on it's users.
    >>>
    >>> Great "dynamic" product you have there Roy.
    >>>
    >>> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ghlight=freeze

    >> And how many forum pages are devoted to Windows problems?

    > Googling for "Windows problems" yeilded about 18,500,000 results
    >
    > Googling for "Ubuntu problems" yielded 1,060,000 results.
    >
    > Guess Ubuntu wins.

    Except for the fact the (a) Vista is new and (b) Windows is installed on
    something like 90x more machines.

    Why don't you write a calculator app?

    On Sun, 06 Apr 2008 20:54:37 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    > What you say is true for the most part Tony. Yes, a lot of ready to go
    > applications etc come with Linux and with Windows these need to be
    > installed.
    > For most people this is just a matter of inserting a DVD and hitting
    > enter a couple of times.
    > No big problem.
    >
    > Linux however DOES have the built in advantage of easy restore should
    > the system crash due to software or hardware where as Windows requires
    > the user to now go and locate all those disks, do all the individual
    > updates etc.
    >
    > Of course a $40.00 investment in Acronis or even using one of the free
    > tools to image the drive once in a while is a huge time saver.
    >
    > The average person doesn't however.
    >
    > As for your why so many closely related versions of Linux, Hadron
    > answered you very well and I agree with what he said.

    A sincere Thank You for a polite and positive reply. Hadron has
    a certain 'way' about his posts, but I get the gist.

    It confirms to me my feelings that maybe the way forward is to
    concentrate on application improvement and developing the
    PCLinuxOS's and Ubuntus etc, rather than developing a
    closely related version of what is already available.
    Does Linux Mint, for example, really need to exist?
    There are good home-grown tools in Mint by Clem and his team that
    future Ubuntu's could take on board, and the Mint 'look and feel' could
    be included as an addition to Ubuntu's appearance/themes choice.
    The same could be said for many of the Distros out there,
    and so much time, effort and skill is going to waste by trying to re-invent
    the wheel.

    As an aside, I can not fail to notice that there are not too many replies
    by the regulars to my posts here -
    I thought they were worthy enough for discussion; maybe they are not?
    Or maybe because I do not (and will not) knowingly insult or try upset
    anyone here?
    Maybe 'newcomers' to COLA are just not welcome? I'm just not sure.

    All the best,

    Tony(UK)

  13. Re: [News] Ubuntu GNU/Linux Too Easy to Set Up, New Release Promising

    Tony Smith wrote:

    > On Sun, 06 Apr 2008 20:54:37 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    >
    >> What you say is true for the most part Tony. Yes, a lot of ready to go
    >> applications etc come with Linux and with Windows these need to be
    >> installed.
    >> For most people this is just a matter of inserting a DVD and hitting
    >> enter a couple of times.
    >> No big problem.
    >>
    >> Linux however DOES have the built in advantage of easy restore should
    >> the system crash due to software or hardware where as Windows requires
    >> the user to now go and locate all those disks, do all the individual
    >> updates etc.
    >>
    >> Of course a $40.00 investment in Acronis or even using one of the free
    >> tools to image the drive once in a while is a huge time saver.
    >>
    >> The average person doesn't however.
    >>
    >> As for your why so many closely related versions of Linux, Hadron
    >> answered you very well and I agree with what he said.

    > A sincere Thank You for a polite and positive reply. Hadron has
    > a certain 'way' about his posts, but I get the gist.
    >
    > It confirms to me my feelings that maybe the way forward is to
    > concentrate on application improvement and developing the
    > PCLinuxOS's and Ubuntus etc, rather than developing a
    > closely related version of what is already available.
    > Does Linux Mint, for example, really need to exist?
    > There are good home-grown tools in Mint by Clem and his team that
    > future Ubuntu's could take on board, and the Mint 'look and feel' could
    > be included as an addition to Ubuntu's appearance/themes choice.
    > The same could be said for many of the Distros out there,
    > and so much time, effort and skill is going to waste by trying to re-invent
    > the wheel.
    >
    > As an aside, I can not fail to notice that there are not too many replies
    > by the regulars to my posts here -
    > I thought they were worthy enough for discussion; maybe they are not?
    > Or maybe because I do not (and will not) knowingly insult or try upset
    > anyone here?
    > Maybe 'newcomers' to COLA are just not welcome? I'm just not sure.
    >
    > All the best,

    FYI "Moshe Goldfarb" is a troll, & so is Hadron Quark. They are killfiled by
    *most* people in various groups.

    http://colatrolls.blogspot.com/2007/...ark-troll.html

    --
    Mandriva - 2008.1 - RC2 - 64bit OS.
    COLA trolls: http://colatrolls.blogspot.com/

  14. Re: [News] Ubuntu GNU/Linux Too Easy to Set Up, New ReleasePromising

    On Mon, 07 Apr 2008 05:11:15 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > "Canuck57" writes:
    >
    >> "Rick" wrote in message
    >> news:QvadnZuUt5JdgmTanZ2dnUVZ_t7inZ2d@supernews.co m...

    >>> And how many forum pages are devoted to Windows problems?

    >> Googling for "Windows problems" yeilded about 18,500,000 results
    >>
    >> Googling for "Ubuntu problems" yielded 1,060,000 results.
    >>
    >> Guess Ubuntu wins.
    >>

    > Except for the fact the (a) Vista is new and (b) Windows is installed on
    > something like 90x more machines.
    >
    > Why don't you write a calculator app?

    Why don't you try to do something constructive?

    --
    Rick

  15. Re: [News] Ubuntu GNU/Linux Too Easy to Set Up, New Release Promising

    * Tony Smith peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > On Sun, 06 Apr 2008 20:54:37 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    >
    > A sincere Thank You for a polite and positive reply. Hadron has
    > a certain 'way' about his posts, but I get the gist.
    >
    > As an aside, I can not fail to notice that there are not too many replies
    > by the regulars to my posts here -
    > I thought they were worthy enough for discussion; maybe they are not?
    > Or maybe because I do not (and will not) knowingly insult or try upset
    > anyone here?
    > Maybe 'newcomers' to COLA are just not welcome? I'm just not sure.

    No, most of us tend to avoid threads posted to by those idiotic and
    insanely repetitive fascist trolls.

    Maybe we miss some good stuff that they post. But I don't think it is
    worth the crap flood that comes most other times.

    --
    Bill Gates is a very rich man today ... and do you want to know why? The answer
    is one word: versions.

  16. Re: [News] Ubuntu GNU/Linux Too Easy to Set Up, New Release Promising

    "Canuck57" wrote in message

    > "Rick" wrote in message
    > news:QvadnZuUt5JdgmTanZ2dnUVZ_t7inZ2d@supernews.co m...

    >>> Yea.
    >>> It's dynamic alright!
    >>>
    >>> The Ubuntu group has 62 pages worth of Ubuntu crashes, freezes up, locks
    >>> up etc on it's users.
    >>>
    >>> Great "dynamic" product you have there Roy.
    >>>
    >>> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ghlight=freeze

    >> And how many forum pages are devoted to Windows problems?

    > Googling for "Windows problems" yeilded about 18,500,000 results
    >
    > Googling for "Ubuntu problems" yielded 1,060,000 results.
    >
    > Guess Ubuntu wins.

    Guess you're a linsux lintard asshole

  17. Re: [News] Ubuntu GNU/Linux Too Easy to Set Up, New Release Promising

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe Goldfarb

    wrote
    on Sun, 6 Apr 2008 23:08:03 -0400
    :
    > On Mon, 07 Apr 2008 03:06:36 GMT, Canuck57 wrote:
    >
    >> "Rick" wrote in message
    >> news:QvadnZuUt5JdgmTanZ2dnUVZ_t7inZ2d@supernews.co m...

    >>> And how many forum pages are devoted to Windows problems?

    >> Googling for "Windows problems" yeilded about 18,500,000 results
    >>
    >> Googling for "Ubuntu problems" yielded 1,060,000 results.
    >>
    >> Guess Ubuntu wins.

    > Considering Linux has 0.6 percent of the desktop, Windows wins.

    Assuming these figures is correct, Moshe is correct.

    Windows problems: 18,500,000 over 99.4% of the populace
    Linux problems: 1,060,000 over 0.6% of the populace

    Windows problems per %: 18,611.67
    Linux problems per %: 1,766,666.7

    Clearly, Windows wins if one uses this particular calculation method.

    A slightly more accurate calculation would include OSX, of course.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Linux. The choice of a GNU generation.
    Windows. The choice of a bunch of people who like very weird behavior on
    a regular basis, random crashes, and "extend, embrace, and extinguish".

  18. Re: [News] Ubuntu GNU/Linux Too Easy to Set Up, New Release Promising

    * The Ghost In The Machine peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe Goldfarb
    >>>
    >>> Googling for "Windows problems" yeilded about 18,500,000 results
    >>> Googling for "Ubuntu problems" yielded 1,060,000 results.

    >> Considering Linux has 0.6 percent of the desktop, Windows wins.

    > Assuming these figures is correct, Moshe is correct.

    Nah. First of all, that's just for "Ubuntu".

    Second, our poor concentration-camp survivor assumes that it is all
    desktop problems. Could be close, though, with Ubuntu.

    Third, duplicates, undoubtedly massive, are ignored in both cases.

    Fourth, perhaps more Windows problems are solved by going to a friend
    rather than to the web.

    > Windows problems: 18,500,000 over 99.4% of the populace
    > Linux problems: 1,060,000 over 0.6% of the populace
    >
    > Windows problems per %: 18,611.67
    > Linux problems per %: 1,766,666.7
    >
    > Clearly, Windows wins if one uses this particular calculation method.
    >
    > A slightly more accurate calculation would include OSX, of course.

    The "calculations" would, however, still be garbage.

    --
    This is a fantastic time to be entering the business world, because business
    is going to change more in the next 10 years than it has in the last 50.

  19. Re: [News] Ubuntu GNU/Linux Too Easy to Set Up, New Release Promising

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Linonut

    wrote
    on Tue, 8 Apr 2008 07:42:39 -0400
    :
    > * The Ghost In The Machine peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe Goldfarb

    >>> Considering Linux has 0.6 percent of the desktop, Windows wins.

    >> Assuming these figures is correct, Moshe is correct.

    > Nah. First of all, that's just for "Ubuntu".

    It's a big assumption. ;-) Of course, that makes it
    even worse; if Linux is only using 0.6% of the Desktop
    (disputable in itself), how much of the desktop does
    Ubuntu have? That just makes it bigger -- were this to
    have any validity at all.

    > Second, our poor concentration-camp survivor assumes that it is all
    > desktop problems. Could be close, though, with Ubuntu.

    I'll admit to wondering what kinds of "problems" these
    counts reflect. Google in particular has some interesting
    characteristics; if one does a multiword search such as
    "Iraq war tanks", some of the searches will include "Iraq",
    some on "war", and some on "tanks" -- this is not that
    hard to see on a 10-link "page".

    (For that particular query, one also gets hits on "Iraq
    war", but one rather amusing hit is titled "Iraq War Movies
    Tank at the Box Office" -- from KCRW, an FM station located
    in Santa Monica, CA. Of course, Iraq war movies probably
    involve armored artillery in some form, but clearly "tanks"
    is found here in a completely different context.)

    > Third, duplicates, undoubtedly massive, are ignored in both cases.
    >
    > Fourth, perhaps more Windows problems are solved by going to a friend
    > rather than to the web.

    One of the more interesting Windows issues, that.

    >> Windows problems: 18,500,000 over 99.4% of the populace
    >> Linux problems: 1,060,000 over 0.6% of the populace
    >>
    >> Windows problems per %: 18,611.67
    >> Linux problems per %: 1,766,666.7
    >>
    >> Clearly, Windows wins if one uses this particular calculation method.
    >>
    >> A slightly more accurate calculation would include OSX, of course.

    > The "calculations" would, however, still be garbage.

    The calculations are OK, but, like dividing the number
    of penguins in a zoo by the size of one's fountain pen,
    the result is essentially meaningless.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Windows Vista. Now in nine exciting editions. Try them all!

  20. Re: [News] Ubuntu GNU/Linux Too Easy to Set Up, New Release Promising

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast