Re: according to analyst Gartner "In a few years' time, almost all businesses will use open source" - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: according to analyst Gartner "In a few years' time, almost all businesses will use open source" - Linux ; ____/ kd5ob.portable@gmail.com on Saturday 05 April 2008 17:20 : \____ > http://tech.slashdot.org/tech/08/04/04/235212.shtml > > It has been a few years since I've posted to Comp.Os. Linux.Advocacy. > > And in that time much has changed. *We argued in the 90's ...

  1. Re: according to analyst Gartner "In a few years' time, almost all businesses will use open source"

    ____/ kd5ob.portable@gmail.com on Saturday 05 April 2008 17:20 : \____

    > http://tech.slashdot.org/tech/08/04/04/235212.shtml
    >
    > It has been a few years since I've posted to Comp.Os. Linux.Advocacy.
    >
    > And in that time much has changed. *We argued in the 90's that Free
    > Software would dominate the
    > market. * Despite Gartner's use of Open Source, it's mainly still free
    > software licensed under the GPL.

    Gartner, along with Microsoft, tries to replace Free software with open source,
    which Microsoft tries to hijack. The firm is still a buddy of Microsoft,
    funded by Oracle, Microsoft and some other self-serving giants who require
    bogus 'studies'.

    Just days ago:

    http://www.computerweekly.com/Articl...r-billions.htm

    * * "Suffolk told Gartner, “I think we have fundamentally failed on a worldwide
    basis as an IT industry to understand the cost of what we do. And I roundly
    blame Gartner for this, because you guys are the ones who come up with TCO
    [total cost of ownership] benchmarking. It has become a self-fulfilling
    prophecy.

    * * “So, I go out and I pick boring desktop infrastructure. What price do you
    think the suppliers broadly pitch? You will not be shocked to know that it is
    somewhere around the Gartner TCO benchmark.”"

    By the way, your good message in the OP would have been more effective without
    obscenities. You harm your own words.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | /earth: file system full
    04:05:01 up 17 days, 15:14, 4 users, load average: 1.08, 1.36, 1.50

  2. Re: according to analyst Gartner "In a few years' time, almost all businesses will use open source"

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Gartner, along with Microsoft,

    Or is that "Gartner at the *behest* of Microsoft...?"

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  3. Re: according to analyst Gartner "In a few years' time, almost all businesses will use open source"

    ____/ RonB on Sunday 06 April 2008 07:25 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> Gartner, along with Microsoft,

    > Or is that "Gartner at the *behest* of Microsoft...?"

    Behest of the Beast?

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Ballmer O/S - so furious it may crash
    10:20:01 up 17 days, 21:29, 4 users, load average: 0.79, 0.59, 1.16

  4. Re: according to analyst Gartner "In a few years' time, almost allbusinesses will use open source"

    Verily I say unto thee, that RonB spake thusly:

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> Gartner, along with Microsoft,

    > Or is that "Gartner at the *behest* of Microsoft...?"

    In the Vole's shillcosystem, it all amounts to the same thing.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    `----

    12:08:15 up 107 days, 8:44, 2 users, load average: 0.01, 0.02, 0.00

  5. Re: according to analyst Gartner "In a few years' time, almost all businesses will use open source"

    * [H]omer peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Verily I say unto thee, that RonB spake thusly:
    >
    >> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>
    >>> Gartner, along with Microsoft,

    >> Or is that "Gartner at the *behest* of Microsoft...?"

    > In the Vole's shillcosystem, it all amounts to the same thing.

    http://www.thirdworldtraveler.com/He...rop_Model.html

    Manufacturing Consent
    A Propaganda Model

    Good sig-monster!

    --
    Information technology and business are becoming inextricably interwoven. I
    don't think anybody can talk meaningfully about one without the talking

  6. Re: according to analyst Gartner "In a few years' time, almost all businesses will use open source"

    ____/ Linonut on Sunday 06 April 2008 15:05 : \____

    > * [H]omer peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> Verily I say unto thee, that RonB spake thusly:

    >>> Or is that "Gartner at the *behest* of Microsoft...?"

    >> In the Vole's shillcosystem, it all amounts to the same thing.

    http://www.thirdworldtraveler.com/He...rop_Model.html

    > Manufacturing Consent
    > A Propaganda Model
    >
    > Good sig-monster!

    It's rather scary how easy it is to associate such literature to Microsoft's
    tactic, but appreciated that you brought it to people's attention. I've been
    using this term a lot recently.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Readers' discretion is advised when reading articles inspired by Microsoft
    press releases.
    15:20:02 up 18 days, 2:29, 4 users, load average: 1.12, 0.99, 1.22