Ask for Linux help, get anti-Windows frothing instead - Linux

This is a discussion on Ask for Linux help, get anti-Windows frothing instead - Linux ; "Not For The Average User Linux is for Geeks, period. A couple of years ago I tried to set up a Red Hat Linux box on my home LAN with a iMac and an XP box. I used UNIX in ...

  1. Ask for Linux help, get anti-Windows frothing instead

    "Not For The Average User

    Linux is for Geeks, period. A couple of years ago I tried to set up a Red
    Hat Linux box on my home LAN with a iMac and an XP box. I used UNIX in the
    80s and have been a software engineer since 1978. I've built and configured
    my own machines. But I'm afraid I just can't remember all the config files
    all over the UNIX/Linux system. So I got books, and tried my best. Then I
    asked help from my local LUG. I got a different answer from every respondee
    (about 22). Mostly what I got was a bunch of religious anti-Windows
    rhetoric. Then someone from the LUG volunteered to come over to my house to
    do it. After 2 hours of communing with the config file gods he couldn't make
    it work. So I turned that old computer into a Win2K box, plugged my printers
    to my XP box and everything just worked. Haven't touched Linux since. Why
    bother? I'm not motivated by hate. I just want things to work.

    Posted by: chuck@... Posted on: 06/19/06"

    http://talkback.zdnet.com/5208-12554...422234&start=0

  2. Re: Ask for Linux help, get anti-Windows frothing instead

    On Sat, 5 Apr 2008 20:30:50 -0500, DFS wrote:

    > "Not For The Average User
    >
    > Linux is for Geeks, period. A couple of years ago I tried to set up a Red
    > Hat Linux box on my home LAN with a iMac and an XP box. I used UNIX in the
    > 80s and have been a software engineer since 1978. I've built and configured
    > my own machines. But I'm afraid I just can't remember all the config files
    > all over the UNIX/Linux system. So I got books, and tried my best. Then I
    > asked help from my local LUG. I got a different answer from every respondee
    > (about 22). Mostly what I got was a bunch of religious anti-Windows
    > rhetoric. Then someone from the LUG volunteered to come over to my house to
    > do it. After 2 hours of communing with the config file gods he couldn't make
    > it work. So I turned that old computer into a Win2K box, plugged my printers
    > to my XP box and everything just worked. Haven't touched Linux since. Why
    > bother? I'm not motivated by hate. I just want things to work.
    >
    > Posted by: chuck@... Posted on: 06/19/06"
    >

    > http://talkback.zdnet.com/5208-12554...422234&start=0

    And nothing has changed since then.

    The problem with Linux advocates is that they forget that people just want
    things to work.
    They don't want to screw around with Linux trying to make their hardware
    work.
    They don't want to use "wannabe" applications like Gnumeric, Gimp and Open
    Office.
    They just want things to work so they can USE their computer instead of
    tinkering with it.

    Linux still has not reached that point on the desktop and at the rate it is
    going I suspect it never will.

    If Linux can't find a way to capitalize on Vista and the woes associated
    with it, then Linux is in serious trouble.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: Ask for Linux help, get anti-Windows frothing instead

  4. Re: Ask for Linux help, get anti-Windows frothing instead

    On Sat, 05 Apr 2008 22:00:51 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    > On Sat, 5 Apr 2008 20:30:50 -0500, DFS wrote:
    >
    >> "Not For The Average User
    >>
    >> Linux is for Geeks, period. A couple of years ago I tried to set up a
    >> Red Hat Linux box on my home LAN with a iMac and an XP box. I used UNIX
    >> in the 80s and have been a software engineer since 1978. I've built and
    >> configured my own machines. But I'm afraid I just can't remember all
    >> the config files all over the UNIX/Linux system. So I got books, and
    >> tried my best. Then I asked help from my local LUG. I got a different
    >> answer from every respondee (about 22). Mostly what I got was a bunch
    >> of religious anti-Windows rhetoric. Then someone from the LUG
    >> volunteered to come over to my house to do it. After 2 hours of
    >> communing with the config file gods he couldn't make it work. So I
    >> turned that old computer into a Win2K box, plugged my printers to my XP
    >> box and everything just worked. Haven't touched Linux since. Why
    >> bother? I'm not motivated by hate. I just want things to work.
    >>
    >> Posted by: chuck@... Posted on: 06/19/06"
    >>

    >> http://talkback.zdnet.com/5208-12554-0.html?

    forumID=1&threadID=22146&messageID=422234&start=0

    > And nothing has changed since then.
    >
    > The problem with Linux advocates is that they forget that people just
    > want things to work.
    > They don't want to screw around with Linux trying to make their hardware
    > work.
    > They don't want to use "wannabe" applications like Gnumeric, Gimp and
    > Open Office.

    Those are very good applications.

    > They just want things to work so they can USE their computer instead of
    > tinkering with it.

    I use my computer. I have to look to find things to tinker with now.

    > Linux still has not reached that point on the desktop and at the rate it
    > is going I suspect it never will.
    >
    > If Linux can't find a way to capitalize on Vista and the woes associated
    > with it, then Linux is in serious trouble.

    How can Linux be in serious trouble?

    --
    Rick

  5. Re: Ask for Linux help, get anti-Windows frothing instead

    In article <47f83127$0$580$6e1ede2f@read.cnntp.org>,
    Patty Pippins wrote:
    >Moshe Goldfarb is flatfish (aka: Gary Stewart)
    >
    >http://colatrolls.blogspot.com/2008/...arb-troll.html
    >http://colatrolls.blogspot.com/2007/...ish-troll.html

    Patty,

    While Moshe is certainly relentless and somewhat aggravating with his
    anti-Linux attacks, at least he's adding constructive discussion.

    Your repeated "Moshe is flatfish" post is a complete waste of time. If I
    didn't know better I'd say it was a bot response to any post that Moshe
    posts.

    Stop wasting time and bandwidth with this. Thanks.

    BAJ

  6. Re: Ask for Linux help, get anti-Windows frothing instead

    On 2008-04-06, DFS wrote:
    > "Not For The Average User
    >
    > Linux is for Geeks, period. A couple of years ago I tried to set up a Red
    > Hat Linux box on my home LAN with a iMac and an XP box. I used UNIX in the

    Since when will Microsoft play nice with Mac gear?

    [deletia]

    Sure, the Mac-network-support for Linux might require some incantations
    and the sacrifice of a virgin or two but it's at least available.

    Although without a better detailed accounting of requirements it's
    pretty hard to evaluate what needed to be done and what would have
    been the best way to go about it.

    Getting rid of the non-Apple gear might have been the best way to
    start out...

    --
    If you think that an 80G disk can hold HUNDRENDS of |||
    hours of DV video then you obviously haven't used iMovie either. / | \

    http://www.usenet.com

  7. Re: Ask for Linux help, get anti-Windows frothing instead

    On 2008-04-06, Rick wrote:
    > On Sat, 05 Apr 2008 22:00:51 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 5 Apr 2008 20:30:50 -0500, DFS wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Not For The Average User
    >>>
    >>> Linux is for Geeks, period. A couple of years ago I tried to set up a
    >>> Red Hat Linux box on my home LAN with a iMac and an XP box. I used UNIX
    >>> in the 80s and have been a software engineer since 1978. I've built and
    >>> configured my own machines. But I'm afraid I just can't remember all
    >>> the config files all over the UNIX/Linux system. So I got books, and
    >>> tried my best. Then I asked help from my local LUG. I got a different
    >>> answer from every respondee (about 22). Mostly what I got was a bunch
    >>> of religious anti-Windows rhetoric. Then someone from the LUG
    >>> volunteered to come over to my house to do it. After 2 hours of
    >>> communing with the config file gods he couldn't make it work. So I
    >>> turned that old computer into a Win2K box, plugged my printers to my XP
    >>> box and everything just worked. Haven't touched Linux since. Why
    >>> bother? I'm not motivated by hate. I just want things to work.
    >>>
    >>> Posted by: chuck@... Posted on: 06/19/06"
    >>>

    >>> http://talkback.zdnet.com/5208-12554-0.html?

    > forumID=1&threadID=22146&messageID=422234&start=0
    >>
    >> And nothing has changed since then.
    >>
    >> The problem with Linux advocates is that they forget that people just
    >> want things to work.
    >> They don't want to screw around with Linux trying to make their hardware
    >> work.
    >> They don't want to use "wannabe" applications like Gnumeric, Gimp and
    >> Open Office.

    > Those are very good applications.

    There are 15 year old GUI spreadsheets that you can use as a full
    blown software dev platform. What does it really matter if one of today's
    spreadsheets is something other than the "one true product"?

    [deletia]

    It's a SPREADSHEET. This is a 25+ old idea that most people don't
    exploit much past the 1983 MS-DOS version of the concept. Get a grip
    already.

    --
    If you think that an 80G disk can hold HUNDRENDS of |||
    hours of DV video then you obviously haven't used iMovie either. / | \

    http://www.usenet.com

+ Reply to Thread