[News] Site Poll: 20% of Site Visitors Use GNU/Linux; Absolute Stats vs. Trend - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Site Poll: 20% of Site Visitors Use GNU/Linux; Absolute Stats vs. Trend - Linux ; More Users Running Linux than Vista ,----[ Quote ] | According to a recent poll at the electrogeek.com blog the number users | running the Linux operating system exceeded the number of users running | Windows Vista. `---- http://electrogeek.com/blog/2008/04/...ux-than-vista/ Fly ...

  1. [News] Site Poll: 20% of Site Visitors Use GNU/Linux; Absolute Stats vs. Trend

    More Users Running Linux than Vista

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | According to a recent poll at the electrogeek.com blog the number users
    | running the Linux operating system exceeded the number of users running
    | Windows Vista.
    `----

    http://electrogeek.com/blog/2008/04/...ux-than-vista/

    Fly the Linux Skies

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | But still, this survey, and all the others like it, are really analogous to
    | flying a plane with analog instruments. They each individually may be very
    | wrong, but when data is collaborated from the other instruments, then a
    | clearer picture can be formed.
    |
    | I submit that these numbers do not give a true picture of the state of the
    | Linux desktop by themselves. But when put together with all of the other
    | clues, you can get a better sense of where things are going: Windows is
    | coming down; Mac and Linux are going up. How fast and how much? Well, that's
    | still Magic 8 Ball territory.
    `----

    http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story...4-017-26-OP-MR

    It's about /trends/.

    Related:

    Survey Says … Linux Desktop Is Ever More Popular

    ,----[ Quote ]
    `----

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Okay, now lets tie this all back in together. Novell claimed several months
    | back in a video ad that Desktop Linux users accounted for upwards of
    | 30,000,000 different people. That's 30 million. Recent statements made by
    | some Novell representatives indicate that they expect there are upwards of
    | 50,000,000 Desktop Linux users. Microsoft has never contested the number of
    | Desktop Linux users, and if anything the deal Microsoft signed with Novell
    | was tacit agreement that Microsoft believed those numbers to be accurate.
    `----

    http://zerias.blogspot.com/2007/11/d...-vs-linux.html

    Linux Users Base More Than doubled Over Last One Year: Survey

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The number of Linux users has more than doubled over the last one year, says
    | a new survey by DesktopLinux.com. The survey also said Ubuntu remains their
    | Linux distribution of choice. *
    `----

    http://www.sda-india.com/sda_india/p...19940,p,0.html

    Survey: Desktop Linux use grows

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | DesktopLinux.com, which is a Web site devoted to, obviously, desktop Linux,
    | has finished a survey that found more than a doubling of Linux desktop users
    | in the past year. *
    `----

    http://weblog.infoworld.com/techwatc...es/013576.html

    Desktop Linux on the Rise, Linux Foundation Reports

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | For starters, almost 20,000 self-selected users filled out this year's survey
    | compared with fewer than 10,000 in 2006's survey.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | In those businesses and organizations that have deployed Linux desktops, 39.5
    | percent are running Linux on more than half of their machines.
    `----

    http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759...119TX1K0000594

  2. Re: [News] Site Poll: 20% of Site Visitors Use GNU/Linux; Absolute Stats vs. Trend

    "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message
    > More Users Running Linux than Vista
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | According to a recent poll at the electrogeek.com blog the number users
    > | running the Linux operating system exceeded the number of users running
    > | Windows Vista.
    > `----
    >
    > http://electrogeek.com/blog/2008/04/...ux-than-vista/

    Well if small number of people voted at this obscure website then it must be
    true.

    Idiot.

  3. Re: [News] Site Poll: 20% of Site Visitors Use GNU/Linux; Absolute Stats vs. Trend

    Micoshaft Fraudster and Asstrotufer Ezekiel Flat cake idiot wrote on behalf
    of half wits at Micoshaft Coproation:

    > Well if small number of people voted at this obscure website then it must
    > be true.
    >
    > Idiot.

    You must be a fraudster lying for your company Micoshaft Corporation
    unless you care to produce some proof to back up your claims.

  4. Re: [News] Site Poll: 20% of Site Visitors Use GNU/Linux; Absolute Stats vs. Trend

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, 7

    wrote
    on Sat, 05 Apr 2008 20:04:32 GMT
    :
    > Micoshaft Fraudster and Asstrotufer Ezekiel Flat cake idiot wrote on behalf
    > of half wits at Micoshaft Coproation:

    [Roy's link restored]
    http://electrogeek.com/blog/2008/04/...ux-than-vista/
    [/Roy]

    >> Well if small number of people voted at this obscure website then it must
    >> be true.
    >>
    >> Idiot.

    > You must be a fraudster lying for your company Micoshaft Corporation
    > unless you care to produce some proof to back up your claims.

    Self-selected surveys rarely give accurate results; take
    this with a large grain of salt.

    Survey size: 217 votes
    Linux: 40%
    WinXP: 31%
    Vista: 20%:
    OSX: 8%
    Other: 1%

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Windows Vista. Now in nine exciting editions. Try them all!

  5. Re: [News] Site Poll: 20% of Site Visitors Use GNU/Linux; Absolute Stats vs. Trend

    ____/ The Ghost In The Machine on Monday 07 April 2008 20:20 : \____

    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, 7
    >
    > wrote
    > on Sat, 05 Apr 2008 20:04:32 GMT
    > :
    >> Micoshaft Fraudster and Asstrotufer Ezekiel Flat cake idiot wrote on behalf
    >> of half wits at Micoshaft Coproation:
    >>

    > [Roy's link restored]
    > http://electrogeek.com/blog/2008/04/...ux-than-vista/
    > [/Roy]
    >

    >>> Well if small number of people voted at this obscure website then it must
    >>> be true.
    >>>
    >>> Idiot.

    >> You must be a fraudster lying for your company Micoshaft Corporation
    >> unless you care to produce some proof to back up your claims.
    >>

    > Self-selected surveys rarely give accurate results; take
    > this with a large grain of salt.
    >
    > Survey size: 217 votes
    > Linux: 40%
    > WinXP: 31%
    > Vista: 20%:
    > OSX: 8%
    > Other: 1%

    Think about a scenario where a survey receives msn.com's logs for statistics
    purposes. it then dds another 1000 sites whose logs are given away (a privacy
    no-no by the way, unless you hate your readers and sell their data). Then, you
    add up all the numbers and claim to have gotten stats extracted from 1,001
    sites. But wait! What if MSN attracts 100 times more visitors than all those
    1000 other sites combined? Remember IE's default page. Remember zombies PCs.
    Remember bias/niche effect.

    There are lies, damn lies, and statistics. And most studies are funded by one
    body or another, in order to promote an agenda. Studies are time consuming.
    Few people do that sort of stuff (contacting thousands of Webmasters)
    for 'fun'.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Microsoft: a device for converting public ignorance into cash
    Tasks: 111 total, 1 running, 109 sleeping, 0 stopped, 1 zombie