Big brother China eyes Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| A new Chinese anti-monopoly law due to take effect in August could become the
| thorn in Microsoft's side should it be successful in its takeover bid for
| Yahoo!. The law will allow Chinese regulators the power to examine foreign
| mergers when they involve acquisitions of Chinese companies or foreign
| investment in Chinese companies.
`----

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Global_.../JD05Dj01.html

Going slightly off topic here:

False ideology at the heart of the financial crisis

,----[ Quote ]
| The proposal from Hank Paulson, US Treasury secretary, for reorganising
| government regulation of financial institutions misses the point. We need new
| thinking, not a reshuffling of regulatory agencies.
|
| [...]
|
| Regulators ought to have known better because it was their intervention that
| prevented the financial system from unravelling on several occasions. Their
| success has reinforced the misconception that markets are self-correcting.
`---- ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/cb619d4a-00c...ml&_i_referer=

The Great Depression: The sequel

,----[ Quote ]
| A record number of Americans receiving food stamps. Gas prices at an all-time
| high, and staples such as milk, eggs and bread costing a prettier penny every
| week. The average number of Americans filing for unemployment benefits
| reached its highest level in two years last week, while just this week,
| construction spending fell for the fifth straight month and manufacturing
| activity shrank to its lowest level in five years. Real estate values are
| even plummeting in the Hamptons, and hedge funds started off 2008 with their
| worst quarter ever.
`----

http://www.salon.com/opinion/feature...02/depression/

Bush still a fan of OOXML/Microsoft/RIAA lobbyist...

Bush flatters Sarkozy as French Elvis

,----[ Quote ]
| It's "Love me tender" between the United States and France after President
| George W. Bush compared French President Nicolas Sarkozy with rock'n'roll
| singer Elvis Presley.
|
| Bush told NATO leaders at a Bucharest summit on Thursday that when Sarkozy
| visited the United States recently, he was seen as "the latest incarnation of
| Elvis".
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/polit...77337920080403

Recent:

Sarkozy intervenes in France to revert the OOXML position

,----[ Quote ]
| Confidential sources say that President Sarkozy has intervened himself in the
| French position on Microsoft OOXML, asking members of the committee to revert
| their position, and support an abstention. Our sources say he was approached
| by a lobbyist during his 3-days trip in England. The intervention has been
| made on Friday. * *
`----

http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-50670...ooxml-position

Related:

,----[ Quote ]
| [Nicolas] Sarkozy and his family have been vacationing at
| a lakefront estate in Wolfeboro owned by former Microsoft Corp. executive
| Michael Appe.
`----

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20137506/

Fran Nevrkla Identifies a Copyright Gap

,----[ Quote ]
| The support for Commissioner McCreevy came from the French President Nicolas
| Sarkozy. Soon after taking office, he set up a commission, led by the head of
| the major retail chain FNAC, to look into copyright and the creative
| industries. Alongside recommendations on ISP responsibility, the commission
| proposed extending copyright and this will be on the agenda when the French
| Government assumes the Presidency of the European Union in July this year. * *
`----

http://blog.copyrightalliance.org/bl...-Copyright-Gap

Is Sarko Uxorious?

,----[ Quote ]
| What this neglects to take into account is the fact that falling into the
| public domain is a gain for the public - and hence the actual moment when it
| becomes part of the "national pop heritage" - and that the gain vastly
| outweighs any minimal effect it has on ageing rockers' royalties.
| Unfortunately, with this action, as with others (including the "three strikes
| and you're out" approach to fighting filesharing), Sarkozy shows himself to
| be an old man - however young his new wife may be. * * *
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/20...-uxorious.html

France set to experience a revolution in public broadcast television

,----[ Quote ]
`----