[News] New Liability Rules Could Make UNIX/Linux More Attractive - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] New Liability Rules Could Make UNIX/Linux More Attractive - Linux ; New banking code cracks down on out-of-date software ,----[ Quote ] | The banking industry has re-affirmed a policy that makes online banking | customers responsible for losses if they have out of date anti-virus or | anti-phishing protection. New ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

  1. [News] New Liability Rules Could Make UNIX/Linux More Attractive

    New banking code cracks down on out-of-date software

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The banking industry has re-affirmed a policy that makes online banking
    | customers responsible for losses if they have out of date anti-virus or
    | anti-phishing protection. New Banking Codes for consumers and businesses took
    | effect on Monday.
    `----

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/04...ing_code_2008/

    With unpatched vulnerabilities and AV software becoming ineffective, what will
    this mean? Some people will switch to Linux or buy Macs. See the reference
    below about Linux Live CDs for banking.

    This is also good news because rather than sharing the burden (cost of damage)
    people will suffer from their own choice of shoddy software.

    Recent:

    Bots rule in cyberspace

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | USA TODAY REPORTS that on an average day, 40 per cent of the 800 million
    | computers connected to the Internet are bots used to send out spam, viruses
    | and to mine for sensitive personal data. *
    `----

    http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...ule-cyberspace
    http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/co...-botnets_N.htm

    Related:

    In zombies we trust

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | A little over a year ago, I wrote an editorial where in back-of-the-envelope
    | style (.pdf) I estimated that perhaps 15-30% of all privately owned computers
    | were no longer under the sole control of their owner. In the intervening
    | months, I received a certain amount of hate mail but in those intervening
    | months Vint Cert guessed 20-40%, Microsoft said 2/3rds, and IDC suggested
    | 3/4ths. It is thus a conservative risk position to assume that any random
    | counterparty stands a fair chance of being already compromised.
    `----

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=661

    Secure web browsing through Live Linux distros

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Banking isn't the be-all and end-all: there's many other reasons you'd
    | want a secure system, separate from what's on the hard disk, besides
    | Internet banking. Traveller's can't necessarily trust the integrity of
    | a computer in an Internet cafe.
    `----

    Online banking fraud 'up 8,000%'

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The UK has seen an 8,000% increase in fake internet banking scams
    | in the past two years, the government's financial watchdog has warned.
    |
    | The Financial Services Authority (FSA) told peers it was "very concerned"
    | about the growth in "phishing".
    `----

  2. Re: [News] New Liability Rules Could Make UNIX/Linux More Attractive

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > New banking code cracks down on out-of-date software
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | The banking industry has re-affirmed a policy that makes online banking
    > | customers responsible for losses if they have out of date anti-virus or
    > | anti-phishing protection. New Banking Codes for consumers and businesses
    > | took effect on Monday.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/04...ing_code_2008/

    Thats exactly what I raised as a concern for an online
    shopping cart facility.
    Banks and credit card companies are now blaming and billing
    their customers (companies with web****es) for any loss.

    The problem does not go away until micoshaft products are
    removed from the network. And if that means removing staff
    who haven't made the switch to Linux, then I'm afraid they too have to
    be fenced off from the internet.

    > With unpatched vulnerabilities and AV software becoming ineffective, what
    > will this mean? Some people will switch to Linux or buy Macs. See the
    > reference below about Linux Live CDs for banking.
    >
    > This is also good news because rather than sharing the burden (cost of
    > damage) people will suffer from their own choice of shoddy software.
    >

    > Recent:
    >
    > Bots rule in cyberspace
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | USA TODAY REPORTS that on an average day, 40 per cent of the 800 million
    > | computers connected to the Internet are bots used to send out spam,
    > | viruses and to mine for sensitive personal data.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/03/17

    bots-rule-cyberspace
    > http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news

    computersecurity/2008-03-16-computer-botnets_N.htm

    > Related:
    >
    > In zombies we trust
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | A little over a year ago, I wrote an editorial where in
    > | back-of-the-envelope style (.pdf) I estimated that perhaps 15-30% of all
    > | privately owned computers were no longer under the sole control of their
    > | owner. In the intervening months, I received a certain amount of hate
    > | mail but in those intervening months Vint Cert guessed 20-40%, Microsoft
    > | said 2/3rds, and IDC suggested 3/4ths. It is thus a conservative risk
    > | position to assume that any random counterparty stands a fair chance of
    > | being already compromised.
    > `----
    >
    > http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=661
    >

    > Secure web browsing through Live Linux distros
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Banking isn't the be-all and end-all: there's many other reasons you'd
    > | want a secure system, separate from what's on the hard disk, besides
    > | Internet banking. Traveller's can't necessarily trust the integrity of
    > | a computer in an Internet cafe.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.itwire.com.au/content/view/13292/53/
    >

    > Online banking fraud 'up 8,000%'
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | The UK has seen an 8,000% increase in fake internet banking scams
    > | in the past two years, the government's financial watchdog has warned.
    > |
    > | The Financial Services Authority (FSA) told peers it was "very
    > | concerned" about the growth in "phishing".
    > `----
    >
    > http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/6177555.stm

  3. Re: [News] New Liability Rules Could Make UNIX/Linux More Attractive

    So says Roy Schestowitz whose Linux server at www.schestowitz.com was
    hacked and owned a couple of weeks ago.
    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  4. Re: [News] New Liability Rules Could Make UNIX/Linux More Attractive

    Okay Joseph, whatever you say...web**** master!

    > The problem does not go away until micoshaft products are
    > removed from the network. And if that means removing staff
    > who haven't made the switch to Linux, then I'm afraid they too have to
    > be fenced off from the internet.

    So you are jobless, eh? No wonder why you infested COLA.

  5. Re: [News] New Liability Rules Could Make UNIX/Linux More Attractive

    > So says Roy Schestowitz whose Linux server at www.schestowitz.com was
    > hacked and owned a couple of weeks ago.

    But since you appear to be the only user of the site, the odds of
    there being a mass credit card siphoning operation occurring are nil.

  6. Re: [News] New Liability Rules Could Make UNIX/Linux More Attractive

    On Sat, 5 Apr 2008 00:43:37 +0100, Colin Wilson wrote:

    >> So says Roy Schestowitz whose Linux server at www.schestowitz.com was
    >> hacked and owned a couple of weeks ago.

    > But since you appear to be the only user of the site, the odds of
    > there being a mass credit card siphoning operation occurring are nil.

    Nope.

    I wouldn't go near that site, www.schestowitz.com.

    It's blocked in my hosts file just in case I mistakenly click on some of
    Roy Schestowitz's SPAM and get directed there.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  7. Re: [News] New Liability Rules Could Make UNIX/Linux More Attractive

    Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    > On Sat, 5 Apr 2008 00:43:37 +0100, Colin Wilson wrote:
    >
    >>> So says Roy Schestowitz whose Linux server at www.schestowitz.com was
    >>> hacked and owned a couple of weeks ago.

    >> But since you appear to be the only user of the site, the odds of
    >> there being a mass credit card siphoning operation occurring are nil.

    > Nope.
    >
    > I wouldn't go near that site, www.schestowitz.com.
    >
    > It's blocked in my hosts file just in case I mistakenly click on some of
    > Roy Schestowitz's SPAM and get directed there.

    Hehehehe, another paranoid Windoze user. Surprised you could find a hosts
    file.

    Cheers.

    --

    "Linux is a very complete and sophisticated operating system. And there is a
    lot of work being done to improve it in and of itself, particularly to make

    --Paul Maritz, senior vice-president of platforms and applications,
    Microsoft

    Latest Patch for MS Word ...
    http://tinyurl.com/2cpbev

    How to get help at Microsoft Support ...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0C2SIZ5qsSQ

  8. Re: [News] New Liability Rules Could Make UNIX/Linux More Attractive

    On Fri, 04 Apr 2008 19:19:21 -0700, NoStop wrote:

    > Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    >>> But since you appear to be the only user of the site, the odds of
    >>> there being a mass credit card siphoning operation occurring are nil.

    >> Nope.
    >>
    >> I wouldn't go near that site, www.schestowitz.com.
    >>
    >> It's blocked in my hosts file just in case I mistakenly click on some of
    >> Roy Schestowitz's SPAM and get directed there.
    >>

    > Hehehehe, another paranoid Windoze user. Surprised you could find a hosts
    > file.
    >
    > Cheers.

    Not paranoid......
    Smart.....

    http://groups.google.com/group/alt.o...6938874178923d

    Now go back to your daily chore of figuring out how to make Linux function.
    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  9. Re: [News] New Liability Rules Could Make UNIX/Linux More Attractive

    > I wouldn't go near that site, www.schestowitz.com
    > It's blocked in my hosts file just in case I mistakenly click on some of
    > Roy Schestowitz's SPAM and get directed there.

    Mind if I ask what your fascination is with the site - you've
    obviously got "issues", perhaps the site is just an outlet for your
    paranoia (a bit like the guy on uk.legal who thinks he's being
    followed by MI5)

  10. Re: [News] New Liability Rules Could Make UNIX/Linux More Attractive

    "Colin Wilson" wrote
    in message news:MPG.2261533d7455c7dc989686@news.motzarella.or g...
    >> I wouldn't go near that site, www.schestowitz.com
    >> It's blocked in my hosts file just in case I mistakenly click on some of
    >> Roy Schestowitz's SPAM and get directed there.

    > Mind if I ask what your fascination is with the site - you've
    > obviously got "issues", perhaps the site is just an outlet for your
    > paranoia (a bit like the guy on uk.legal who thinks he's being
    > followed by MI5)

    We are following him.

  11. Re: [News] New Liability Rules Could Make UNIX/Linux More Attractive

    > > (a bit like the guy on uk.legal who thinks he's being
    > > followed by MI5)

    > We are following him.

    I know, but the trick is to do it without letting him know it's for
    real :-p

  12. Re: [News] New Liability Rules Could Make UNIX/Linux More Attractive

    On Sat, 5 Apr 2008 10:14:11 +0100, Colin Wilson wrote:

    >> I wouldn't go near that site, www.schestowitz.com
    >> It's blocked in my hosts file just in case I mistakenly click on some of
    >> Roy Schestowitz's SPAM and get directed there.

    > Mind if I ask what your fascination is with the site - you've
    > obviously got "issues", perhaps the site is just an outlet for your
    > paranoia (a bit like the guy on uk.legal who thinks he's being
    > followed by MI5)

    Nahh.

    For paranoia you need to check out Roy Schestowitz.

    He thinks people poisoned PJ of Groklaw to silence her.

    He is convinced that Microsoft is out to get him, etc.

    http://groups.google.com/group/comp....827ebe5?hl=en&

    "You know, being a little paranoid here, I'm beginning to wonder if PJ's
    burnout ("health break") is a result of ongoing stomach illness that comes
    from deliberate food poisoning. No, I'm not suggesting someone is putting
    something in her food. I never said anything like this. No way. "

    Now THAT is one paranoid person.
    THAT person is Roy Schestowitz.

    As for the website, I am simply pointing out the hypocrisy of some of the
    Linux loons, like Schestowitz, who post reams of material claiming how
    superior Linux is to Windows as far as security is concerned.

    I find it humorous that one of the biggest Linux foghorns had his own site,
    running Linux BTW, hacked.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  13. Re: [News] New Liability Rules Could Make UNIX/Linux More Attractive

    > I find it humorous that one of the biggest Linux foghorns had his own site,
    > running Linux BTW, hacked.

    It's not like a windows server is 100% secure though is it, let's be
    fair here !

    One hacked site doesn't make it endemic and worthless, unlike some
    operating systems you could name.

  14. Re: [News] New Liability Rules Could Make UNIX/Linux More Attractive

    On Sat, 5 Apr 2008 17:40:27 +0100, Colin Wilson wrote:

    >> I find it humorous that one of the biggest Linux foghorns had his own site,
    >> running Linux BTW, hacked.

    > It's not like a windows server is 100% secure though is it, let's be
    > fair here !
    >
    > One hacked site doesn't make it endemic and worthless, unlike some
    > operating systems you could name.

    Of course not but you have to take the entire situation into context with
    the most important part being WHO was hacked.
    Not that Linux was hacked.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  15. Re: [News] New Liability Rules Could Make UNIX/Linux More Attractive

    Moshe Goldfarb writes:

    > On Sat, 5 Apr 2008 10:14:11 +0100, Colin Wilson wrote:
    >
    >>> I wouldn't go near that site, www.schestowitz.com
    >>> It's blocked in my hosts file just in case I mistakenly click on some of
    >>> Roy Schestowitz's SPAM and get directed there.

    >> Mind if I ask what your fascination is with the site - you've
    >> obviously got "issues", perhaps the site is just an outlet for your
    >> paranoia (a bit like the guy on uk.legal who thinks he's being
    >> followed by MI5)

    > Nahh.
    >
    > For paranoia you need to check out Roy Schestowitz.
    >
    > He thinks people poisoned PJ of Groklaw to silence her.
    >
    > He is convinced that Microsoft is out to get him, etc.
    >
    > http://groups.google.com/group/comp....827ebe5?hl=en&
    >
    > "You know, being a little paranoid here, I'm beginning to wonder if PJ's
    > burnout ("health break") is a result of ongoing stomach illness that comes
    > from deliberate food poisoning. No, I'm not suggesting someone is putting
    > something in her food. I never said anything like this. No way. "
    >
    > Now THAT is one paranoid person.
    > THAT person is Roy Schestowitz.

    Is that for real????????????????

    Holy cow. And this is the nut job Liarnut fornicates with on a daily
    basis? Has he no shame?

    --
    This year with the release of XP, they are actually behind. The end days
    are near for the BIOS reading inferior OS. It is inevitable.

  16. Re: [News] New Liability Rules Could Make UNIX/Linux More Attractive

    Hadron wrote:

    > Moshe Goldfarb writes:

    >>> Mind if I ask what your fascination is with the site - you've
    >>> obviously got "issues", perhaps the site is just an outlet for your
    >>> paranoia (a bit like the guy on uk.legal who thinks he's being
    >>> followed by MI5)

    >> Nahh.
    >>
    >> For paranoia you need to check out Roy Schestowitz.
    >>
    >> He thinks people poisoned PJ of Groklaw to silence her.
    >>
    >> He is convinced that Microsoft is out to get him, etc.

    http://groups.google.com/group/comp....827ebe5?hl=en&

    >> "You know, being a little paranoid here, I'm beginning to wonder if PJ's
    >> burnout ("health break") is a result of ongoing stomach illness that
    >> comes from deliberate food poisoning. No, I'm not suggesting someone is
    >> putting something in her food. I never said anything like this. No way. "
    >>
    >> Now THAT is one paranoid person.
    >> THAT person is Roy Schestowitz.

    > Is that for real????????????????
    >
    > Holy cow. And this is the nut job Liarnut fornicates with on a daily
    > basis? Has he no shame?

    Have YOU no shame, always aligning yourself with Flatfish/Mr. Soap Bubbles?
    And you claim to support FOSS!

    Cheers.

    --
    The world can't afford the rich.

    How to get help at Microsoft Support ...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0C2SIZ5qsSQ

  17. Re: [News] New Liability Rules Could Make UNIX/Linux More Attractive

    On Sat, 05 Apr 2008 21:15:24 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > Moshe Goldfarb writes:

    >>> Mind if I ask what your fascination is with the site - you've
    >>> obviously got "issues", perhaps the site is just an outlet for your
    >>> paranoia (a bit like the guy on uk.legal who thinks he's being
    >>> followed by MI5)

    >> Nahh.
    >>
    >> For paranoia you need to check out Roy Schestowitz.
    >>
    >> He thinks people poisoned PJ of Groklaw to silence her.
    >>
    >> He is convinced that Microsoft is out to get him, etc.
    >>
    >> http://groups.google.com/group/comp....827ebe5?hl=en&
    >>
    >> "You know, being a little paranoid here, I'm beginning to wonder if PJ's
    >> burnout ("health break") is a result of ongoing stomach illness that comes
    >> from deliberate food poisoning. No, I'm not suggesting someone is putting
    >> something in her food. I never said anything like this. No way. "
    >>
    >> Now THAT is one paranoid person.
    >> THAT person is Roy Schestowitz.

    > Is that for real????????????????
    >
    > Holy cow. And this is the nut job Liarnut fornicates with on a daily
    > basis? Has he no shame?

    Yes it *IS* for real and he was not kidding.

    Like I said, Roy Schestowtiz is a couple of bricks shy of a full load and
    he proves me correct every day with his ranting's.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  18. Re: [News] New Liability Rules Could Make UNIX/Linux More Attractive

    Moshe Goldfarb is flatfish (aka: Gary Stewart)

    Traits:

    Frequently cross posts replies to other non-Linux related newsgroups

  19. Re: [News] New Liability Rules Could Make UNIX/Linux More Attractive

    Moshe Goldfarb is flatfish (aka: Gary Stewart)

    Traits:

    Frequently cross posts replies to other non-Linux related newsgroups

  20. Re: [News] New Liability Rules Could Make UNIX/Linux More Attractive