Re: Windows 7: the lucky Linux killer - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: Windows 7: the lucky Linux killer - Linux ; On Fri, 04 Apr 2008 05:40:35 -0700, raylopez99 wrote: > That would be "Windows 7," which is currently due sometime in 2010 or > later. Which means it'll finally reach the market sometime around 2014 - without most of the ...

  1. Re: Windows 7: the lucky Linux killer

    On Fri, 04 Apr 2008 05:40:35 -0700, raylopez99 wrote:

    > That would be "Windows 7," which is currently due sometime in 2010 or
    > later.

    Which means it'll finally reach the market sometime around 2014 - without
    most of the promised features.

  2. Re: Windows 7: the lucky Linux killer

    "netcat" wrote in message
    news:zdudnbHuDLEO2mvanZ2dnUVZ_hadnZ2d@supernews.co m...
    > On Fri, 04 Apr 2008 05:40:35 -0700, raylopez99 wrote:
    >
    >> That would be "Windows 7," which is currently due sometime in 2010 or
    >> later.

    > Which means it'll finally reach the market sometime around 2014 - without
    > most of the promised features.

    And between now and 2014 we'll hear from the linux 'advocates' how this is
    going to be the year of linux on the desktop and how version here> is going to be rejected by the public and how this is the
    golden opportunity for linux to take over.

    Then when 2014 rolls around the linux 'advocates' will have yet a new excuse
    of how the public doesn't know about linux or how people are "retarded
    mutants" or how Microsoft is making illegal deals to keep linux away from
    consumers.

    Will linux finally get a working audio system by 2014?

  3. Re: Windows 7: the lucky Linux killer

    On Fri, 04 Apr 2008 11:26:55 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:

    > "netcat" wrote in message
    > news:zdudnbHuDLEO2mvanZ2dnUVZ_hadnZ2d@supernews.co m...
    >> On Fri, 04 Apr 2008 05:40:35 -0700, raylopez99 wrote:
    >>
    >>> That would be "Windows 7," which is currently due sometime in 2010 or
    >>> later.

    >> Which means it'll finally reach the market sometime around 2014 -
    >> without most of the promised features.

    > And between now and 2014 we'll hear from the linux 'advocates' how this
    > is going to be the year of linux on the desktop and how > Windows version here> is going to be rejected by the public and how this
    > is the golden opportunity for linux to take over.

    The "Year of Linux" may well be a year in which market share remained
    small but some unobvious critical event occurred that led inevitably to
    later success. Some might say that 2008 was the Year of Linux because MS
    flubbed Vista so bad. Others might say this is the Year of Linux because
    Ubuntu finally reached maturity, or because ASUS proved there was a place
    in the market for Linux, or perhaps because of all three events occurring
    simultaneously.

    Still others might say it hasn't happened yet. Or maybe instead of one
    sudden jump in a single year, we'll just enjoy many years of quiet,
    steady growth. Speculation is fun, but we really won't know which are the
    defining events until we get wherever we 're going and can look back on
    the journey from a distance.

    > Then when 2014 rolls around the linux 'advocates' will have yet a new
    > excuse of how the public doesn't know about linux or how people are
    > "retarded mutants" or how Microsoft is making illegal deals to keep
    > linux away from consumers.

    Linux already works great for *me* and that's all I care about. If
    everyone else would rather pay for a broken, insecure, DRM-infested big-
    brotherish OS that they don't even get to own, then that doesn't hurt me
    in the least.

    > Will linux finally get a working audio system by 2014?

    WTF are you fudding about now? My Linux audio system works fine. Has been
    for years.

  4. Re: Windows 7: the lucky Linux killer

    "netcat" wrote in message
    news:IfKdnRtjqrV4ymvanZ2dnUVZ_vHinZ2d@supernews.co m...
    > On Fri, 04 Apr 2008 11:26:55 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:
    >
    >> "netcat" wrote in message
    >> news:zdudnbHuDLEO2mvanZ2dnUVZ_hadnZ2d@supernews.co m...

    >>> Which means it'll finally reach the market sometime around 2014 -
    >>> without most of the promised features.

    >> And between now and 2014 we'll hear from the linux 'advocates' how this
    >> is going to be the year of linux on the desktop and how >> Windows version here> is going to be rejected by the public and how this
    >> is the golden opportunity for linux to take over.

    > The "Year of Linux" may well be a year in which market share remained
    > small but some unobvious critical event occurred that led inevitably to
    > later success. Some might say that 2008 was the Year of Linux because MS
    > flubbed Vista so bad. Others might say this is the Year of Linux because
    > Ubuntu finally reached maturity, or because ASUS proved there was a place
    > in the market for Linux, or perhaps because of all three events occurring
    > simultaneously.
    >
    > Still others might say it hasn't happened yet. Or maybe instead of one
    > sudden jump in a single year, we'll just enjoy many years of quiet,
    > steady growth. Speculation is fun, but we really won't know which are the
    > defining events until we get wherever we 're going and can look back on
    > the journey from a distance.
    >
    >> Then when 2014 rolls around the linux 'advocates' will have yet a new
    >> excuse of how the public doesn't know about linux or how people are
    >> "retarded mutants" or how Microsoft is making illegal deals to keep
    >> linux away from consumers.

    > Linux already works great for *me* and that's all I care about. If
    > everyone else would rather pay for a broken, insecure, DRM-infested big-
    > brotherish OS that they don't even get to own, then that doesn't hurt me
    > in the least.

    The "don't get to own" part is funny. I have XP on my laptop and am I
    supposed to believe that Microsoft is going to show up and take it away from
    me?

    You also don't "own" what you think you own. If you truly owned something
    you could do whatever you wanted to with it. Your copy of linux is licensed
    to you under the GPL. You can't do whatever you want with it. Ask Tivo for
    the details.

    >> Will linux finally get a working audio system by 2014?

    > WTF are you fudding about now? My Linux audio system works fine.
    > Has been for years.

    Of course, for every COLA 'advocate' it's always "It works for me."

    Results 1 - 10 of about 1,370,000 for linux audio problem
    Results 1 - 10 of about 2,870,000 for linux sound problem

    Results 1 - 10 of about 1,300,000 for XP audio problem
    Results 1 - 10 of about 1,910,000 for XP sound problem

    Results 1 - 10 of about 1,510,000 for Vista audio problem
    Results 1 - 10 of about 2,030,000 for Vista sound problem

    Given the small install base of linux, the percentage of people with
    sound/audio problems is very high.

  5. Re: Windows 7: the lucky Linux killer

    On Fri, 04 Apr 2008 13:47:33 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:

    > "netcat" wrote in message
    > news:IfKdnRtjqrV4ymvanZ2dnUVZ_vHinZ2d@supernews.co m...
    >> On Fri, 04 Apr 2008 11:26:55 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:

    Big snip.

    >>> Then when 2014 rolls around the linux 'advocates' will have yet a new
    >>> excuse of how the public doesn't know about linux or how people are
    >>> "retarded mutants" or how Microsoft is making illegal deals to keep
    >>> linux away from consumers.

    >> Linux already works great for *me* and that's all I care about. If
    >> everyone else would rather pay for a broken, insecure, DRM-infested
    >> big- brotherish OS that they don't even get to own, then that doesn't
    >> hurt me in the least.

    > The "don't get to own" part is funny. I have XP on my laptop and am I
    > supposed to believe that Microsoft is going to show up and take it away
    > from me?

    They don't have to show up. They can just refuse to activate it the next
    time you need to. Microsoft gets to decide whether you can install XP on
    another machine, they can force you to accept DRM, and they've been
    known to shove updates down users' throats even though automatic updates
    had been "disabled". They can use WPA/WGA and their EULA to control how
    you use Windows. Just try installing the Windows that came with your
    machine on a flash drive without buying an additional license, or doing
    multiple installs so you can have one partition for critical work data
    and another for games and the somewhat risky Internet.

    And you PAID for this thing?

    Me, I just install Linux willy-nilly wherever and however I want to. So,
    who comes closer to truly *owning* his OS - a Windows user, or a Linux
    user?

    > You also don't "own" what you think you own. If you truly owned
    > something you could do whatever you wanted to with it. Your copy of
    > linux is licensed to you under the GPL. You can't do whatever you want
    > with it. Ask Tivo for the details.

    That's as lame as claiming that speech isn't free if you don't have the
    right to shout down a political opponent or to yell "fire!" in a crowded
    theater.

    >>> Will linux finally get a working audio system by 2014?

    >> WTF are you fudding about now? My Linux audio system works fine. Has
    >> been for years.

    > Of course, for every COLA 'advocate' it's always "It works for me."

    Well, yeah. If it didn't work for us, we wouldn't be using it.

    > Results 1 - 10 of about 1,370,000 for linux audio problem Results 1 -
    > 10 of about 2,870,000 for linux sound problem
    >
    > Results 1 - 10 of about 1,300,000 for XP audio problem Results 1 - 10
    > of about 1,910,000 for XP sound problem
    >
    > Results 1 - 10 of about 1,510,000 for Vista audio problem Results 1 -
    > 10 of about 2,030,000 for Vista sound problem
    >
    > Given the small install base of linux, the percentage of people with
    > sound/audio problems is very high.

    Silly fool doesn't even know how to use Google...

    Just typing in a phrase without quotes finds not just the exact phrase,
    but occurrences of each of the individual words in various
    combinations. Doing it correctly:

    1,610 hits: "Windows audio problem"
    485 hits: "XP audio problem"
    768 hits: "Vista audio problem"
    241 hits: "Linux audio problem"

    Of course, this is all pretty meaningless because the hit count doesn't
    tell you how the phrase is used. Whereas Windows is developed behind
    closed doors, a lot of Linux development is handled online. So, how many
    of those hits are Linux developers discussing their programming
    problems or working out drivers for hardware designed for Windows? How
    many are users who chose to test-run bleeding-edge releases?

    Google comparisons usually don't tell you anything but that the person
    presenting them is an idiot.

+ Reply to Thread