Depression sets in: "...we are stuck with Linux." - Linux

This is a discussion on Depression sets in: "...we are stuck with Linux." - Linux ; http://www.itwire.com/content/view/16721/1090/1/2/...

  1. Depression sets in: "...we are stuck with Linux."

  2. School districts serve up lessons in Linux ..

    On 4 Apr, 15:40, "DFS" wrote:

    "School districts in the US and Canada find Linux and open source
    offers better support, cheaper setup costs, and improved educational
    value"

    "Kamloops Thompson School District #73 .. opted for a majority of open
    source software as it is easier to maintain and in their experience
    offers better access to support"

    "In 15 minutes I can update OpenOffice on thousands of diskless
    workstations. This beats ghosting Windows hard drives"

    http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;821318543

  3. Re: Depression sets in: "...we are stuck with Linux."

    "DFS" wrote in message

    > http://www.itwire.com/content/view/16721/1090/1/2/

    --- From Windows to Linux - and back again

    Complaints about the Linux system were there in varying degrees from the
    beginning of the switch in 2001 but when all staff got laptops at the end of
    2007, it spelt the end of Linux desktops at the school. The laptops came
    with Windows and Office installed - this was not negotiable.

    The complaints came in something like this form: "If only I had Microsoft, I
    could do everything but we are stuck with Linux."

    Perkins says he is not an operating systems fanatic but adds that he found
    some real plus points with the Linux systems. Administration work was much
    less, there was very little downtime, and there were no viruses. All he had
    to do was to change the odd keyboard or mouse. Updating was not a disruptive
    process as it very rarely involved rebooting. It could be done while normal
    work was in progress and was fast.

    "Market penetration is a real issue," he says. "Linux does not have enough
    (penetration) to counter the argument that everyone uses Windows.

  4. Re: Depression sets in: "...we are stuck with Linux."

    On Fri, 04 Apr 2008 13:24:02 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:

    > "DFS" wrote in message
    >>
    >> http://www.itwire.com/content/view/16721/1090/1/2/

    > --- From Windows to Linux - and back again
    >
    > Complaints about the Linux system were there in varying degrees from the
    > beginning of the switch in 2001 but when all staff got laptops at the
    > end of 2007, it spelt the end of Linux desktops at the school. The
    > laptops came with Windows and Office installed - this was not
    > negotiable.
    >
    > The complaints came in something like this form: "If only I had
    > Microsoft, I could do everything but we are stuck with Linux."
    >
    > Perkins says he is not an operating systems fanatic but adds that he
    > found some real plus points with the Linux systems. Administration work
    > was much less, there was very little downtime, and there were no
    > viruses. All he had to do was to change the odd keyboard or mouse.
    > Updating was not a disruptive process as it very rarely involved
    > rebooting. It could be done while normal work was in progress and was
    > fast.
    >
    > "Market penetration is a real issue," he says. "Linux does not have
    > enough (penetration) to counter the argument that everyone uses Windows.

    Yes, that's network effects and herd mentality at work.

    --
    Rick

  5. Re: Depression sets in: "...we are stuck with Linux."

    "Rick" stated in post
    9aKdnWxqScuBEGvanZ2dnUVZ_v_inZ2d@supernews.com on 4/4/08 1:18 PM:

    > On Fri, 04 Apr 2008 13:24:02 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:
    >
    >> "DFS" wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> http://www.itwire.com/content/view/16721/1090/1/2/

    >> --- From Windows to Linux - and back again
    >>
    >> Complaints about the Linux system were there in varying degrees from the
    >> beginning of the switch in 2001 but when all staff got laptops at the
    >> end of 2007, it spelt the end of Linux desktops at the school. The
    >> laptops came with Windows and Office installed - this was not
    >> negotiable.
    >>
    >> The complaints came in something like this form: "If only I had
    >> Microsoft, I could do everything but we are stuck with Linux."
    >>
    >> Perkins says he is not an operating systems fanatic but adds that he
    >> found some real plus points with the Linux systems. Administration work
    >> was much less, there was very little downtime, and there were no
    >> viruses. All he had to do was to change the odd keyboard or mouse.
    >> Updating was not a disruptive process as it very rarely involved
    >> rebooting. It could be done while normal work was in progress and was
    >> fast.
    >>
    >> "Market penetration is a real issue," he says. "Linux does not have
    >> enough (penetration) to counter the argument that everyone uses Windows.

    > Yes, that's network effects and herd mentality at work.

    Did you read what you replied to? People were saying they could not do
    "everything" they needed to do.

    --
    BU__SH__

  6. Re: Depression sets in: "...we are stuck with Linux."

    In article <5dqJj.29721$r76.539@bignews8.bellsouth.net>,
    DFS wrote:

    >http://www.itwire.com/content/view/16721/1090/1/2/

    Um isn't this a rehash DFS? I already refuted this exact same article
    last month.

    BAJ

  7. Re: Depression sets in: "...we are stuck with Linux."

    On Sat, 05 Apr 2008 08:57:08 -0500, none wrote:

    > In article <5dqJj.29721$r76.539@bignews8.bellsouth.net>,
    > DFS wrote:
    >>
    >>http://www.itwire.com/content/view/16721/1090/1/2/

    > Um isn't this a rehash DFS? I already refuted this exact same article
    > last month.
    >
    > BAJ

    Interesting that you Linux guys never seem to bring this up when Roy
    Schestowitz repeats the same articles over and over and over and over......

    .....again.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  8. Re: Depression sets in: "...we are stuck with Linux."

    On Sat, 5 Apr 2008 10:49:09 -0500, DFS wrote:

    > Spamowitz reposts some of his spewage 40+ times.

    Yea.
    His sewer scraper keeps raking up the same muck over and over again.

    Poor boy Roy.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  9. Re: Depression sets in: "...we are stuck with Linux."

    Rick wrote:
    > On Fri, 04 Apr 2008 09:40:35 -0500, DFS wrote:
    >
    >> http://www.itwire.com/content/view/16721/1090/1/2/

    > Context is everything.

    http://www.itwire.com/content/view/16721/1090/1/0/

    Since this phenomenon of reversion is so rare, I think the IT manager
    Kim Perkins should assume the school has some odd combination of
    conditions not conducive to FOSS. For one thing I sense that the
    Strathcona Baptist Girls Grammar School has an unusually low geek
    coefficient. It would appear that he has identified the issues and
    described them coolly, so I doubt that he is much to blame. In the next
    few years, people who know how to do Windows --> Linux migrations in
    schools are going to be in high demand. Unless he has some special
    attachment to the school, I would think he might thrive better somewhere
    else.

  10. Re: Depression sets in: "...we are stuck with Linux."

    On Sat, 05 Apr 2008 23:11:57 GMT, Matt wrote:

    > Rick wrote:
    >> On Fri, 04 Apr 2008 09:40:35 -0500, DFS wrote:
    >>
    >>> http://www.itwire.com/content/view/16721/1090/1/2/

    >> Context is everything.

    > http://www.itwire.com/content/view/16721/1090/1/0/
    >
    > Since this phenomenon of reversion is so rare, I think the IT manager
    > Kim Perkins should assume the school has some odd combination of
    > conditions not conducive to FOSS.

    I suspect it's not really rare at all seeing as just about every single
    person I know, knew or have ever met that has tried Linux has gone back to
    Windows in one form or another. Either partially or totally.

    You won;t see much press on commercial enterprises going back to another
    technology because they do not like to admit their mistakes in public.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  11. Re: Depression sets in: "...we are stuck with Linux."

    On Sat, 05 Apr 2008 21:51:21 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    > On Sat, 05 Apr 2008 23:11:57 GMT, Matt wrote:
    >
    >> Rick wrote:

    >>> Context is everything.

    >> http://www.itwire.com/content/view/16721/1090/1/0/
    >>
    >> Since this phenomenon of reversion is so rare, I think the IT manager
    >> Kim Perkins should assume the school has some odd combination of
    >> conditions not conducive to FOSS.

    > I suspect it's not really rare at all seeing as just about every single
    > person I know, knew or have ever met that has tried Linux has gone back
    > to Windows in one form or another. Either partially or totally.
    >
    > You won;t see much press on commercial enterprises going back to another
    > technology because they do not like to admit their mistakes in public.

    You must not know many people that have really wanted an alternative to
    Windows.

    --
    Rick

  12. Re: Depression sets in: "...we are stuck with Linux."

    On Sat, 05 Apr 2008 20:57:03 -0500, Rick wrote:

    > On Sat, 05 Apr 2008 21:51:21 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    >>> http://www.itwire.com/content/view/16721/1090/1/0/
    >>>
    >>> Since this phenomenon of reversion is so rare, I think the IT manager
    >>> Kim Perkins should assume the school has some odd combination of
    >>> conditions not conducive to FOSS.

    >> I suspect it's not really rare at all seeing as just about every single
    >> person I know, knew or have ever met that has tried Linux has gone back
    >> to Windows in one form or another. Either partially or totally.
    >>
    >> You won;t see much press on commercial enterprises going back to another
    >> technology because they do not like to admit their mistakes in public.

    > You must not know many people that have really wanted an alternative to
    > Windows.

    They wanted an alternative to Windows, they just haven't found one yet.

    Who wouldn't want something that is free, like Linux?

    That says it all when people are willing to go back to paying for software
    rather than use free Linux.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  13. Re: Depression sets in: "...we are stuck with Linux."

    Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    > On Sat, 05 Apr 2008 23:11:57 GMT, Matt wrote:
    >
    >> Rick wrote:

    >>> Context is everything.

    >> http://www.itwire.com/content/view/16721/1090/1/0/
    >>
    >> Since this phenomenon of reversion is so rare, I think the IT manager
    >> Kim Perkins should assume the school has some odd combination of
    >> conditions not conducive to FOSS.

    > I suspect it's not really rare at all seeing as just about every single
    > person I know, knew or have ever met that has tried Linux has gone back to
    > Windows in one form or another. Either partially or totally.

    Not talking about "single persons" here. Talking about a division of
    labor and economies of scale. Talking about large operations, in this
    case without legacy documents and with only limited needs for applications.

    > You won;t see much press on commercial enterprises going back to another
    > technology because they do not like to admit their mistakes in public.

    I expect there is some truth to that, but I don't remember hearing of
    _any_ cases of commercial enterprises reverting.

  14. Re: Depression sets in: "...we are stuck with Linux."

    On Sat, 05 Apr 2008 22:12:21 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    > On Sat, 05 Apr 2008 20:57:03 -0500, Rick wrote:

    >>> I suspect it's not really rare at all seeing as just about every
    >>> single person I know, knew or have ever met that has tried Linux has
    >>> gone back to Windows in one form or another. Either partially or
    >>> totally.
    >>>
    >>> You won;t see much press on commercial enterprises going back to
    >>> another technology because they do not like to admit their mistakes in
    >>> public.

    >> You must not know many people that have really wanted an alternative to
    >> Windows.

    > They wanted an alternative to Windows, they just haven't found one yet.
    >
    > Who wouldn't want something that is free, like Linux?
    >
    > That says it all when people are willing to go back to paying for
    > software rather than use free Linux.

    Herd mentality, inertia and network effects says it all.

    --
    Rick

  15. Re: Depression sets in: "...we are stuck with Linux."

    Matt writes:

    > Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    >>> http://www.itwire.com/content/view/16721/1090/1/0/
    >>>
    >>> Since this phenomenon of reversion is so rare, I think the IT
    >>> manager Kim Perkins should assume the school has some odd
    >>> combination of conditions not conducive to FOSS.

    >> I suspect it's not really rare at all seeing as just about every single
    >> person I know, knew or have ever met that has tried Linux has gone back to
    >> Windows in one form or another. Either partially or totally.

    > Not talking about "single persons" here. Talking about a division of
    > labor and economies of scale. Talking about large operations, in this
    > case without legacy documents and with only limited needs for
    > applications.

    Large operations without legacy documents and processes and limited
    needs for allocations? Wow. You really are cherry picking here.

    >> You won;t see much press on commercial enterprises going back to another
    >> technology because they do not like to admit their mistakes in public.

    > I expect there is some truth to that, but I don't remember hearing of
    > _any_ cases of commercial enterprises reverting.

    I dont recall ever hearing about a commercial enterprise moving in the
    first place. It's all schools and local governments where the IT boss
    probably pockets the SW budget if he can save a few quid.

    --
    .... but hey, this is Linux, isn't it meant to do infinite loops in 5
    seconds?

+ Reply to Thread