[News] $99 GNU/Linux PC Released, Microsoft Presents 2001 Again - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] $99 GNU/Linux PC Released, Microsoft Presents 2001 Again - Linux ; Shuttle KPC Linux PC now available ,----[ Quote ] | The KPC comes in a wide-variety of configurations and prices. It's now | available from a bare-bones version of $99 up to a fully loaded model selling | for approximately ...

  1. [News] $99 GNU/Linux PC Released, Microsoft Presents 2001 Again

    Shuttle KPC Linux PC now available

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The KPC comes in a wide-variety of configurations and prices. It's now
    | available from a bare-bones version of $99 up to a fully loaded model selling
    | for approximately $299.
    `----

    Now we can have Windows XP Home!

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | At this rate, though, as Microsoft keeps throwing aging scraps at a market
    | set to explode, one has to wonder why anyone would look beyond Linux for the
    | ultra low-cost PCs. XP Pro at least has a stable, usable feature set for a
    | variety of settings and provides a fair amount of flexibility for
    | administrators. XP Home is for the WalMart set. Ubuntu just looks better and
    | better, doesn’t it?
    `----

    http://education.zdnet.com/?p=1613

    KDE 5 versus XP in 2010? That would be funny.

    Related:

    Shuttle prices, specs up KPC Linux box

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Shuttle without fanfare has rolled out the finished version of the KPC, its
    | first Linux system targeted at the most basic of computer use. The small form
    | factor box lowers the cost of the PC maker's normally gaming-focused systems
    | in part by switching to Foresight Linux: without the cost of a Windows
    | license, only the hardware affects the price. * *
    `----

    http://www.electronista.com/articles...6/shuttle.kpc/

    $199 Shuttle kPC ditches Ubuntu for Foresight Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    `----

    http://techreport.com/discussions.x/14278

    $199 Shuttle kPC ditches Ubuntu for Foresight Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | When Shuttle unveiled its low-cost kPC desktop at CES in January, word was
    | that the machine would come pre-loaded with a copy of the popular Ubuntu
    | Linux operating system. *
    `----

    http://techreport.com/discussions.x/14278

    Review: Shuttle LinuXPC SD3002Q 500 desktop computer [Gets FOUR of out FIVE]

    | One of the biggest reasons stopping people from trying the Linux operating
    | system is concern about installing it, especially if it turns out that Linux
    | does not support a particular device that works with Windows. *
    |
    | Buying a PC with Linux already installed avoids these problems - Shuttle's
    | LinuXPC SD3002Q is the first we have seen from the company that has the
    | operating system instead of Windows. *
    `----

    http://www.vnunet.com/computeractive...inuxpc-sd3002q

    Microsoft's Big Problem in a Small Box

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Vista is a big operating system that demands monster graphics and dual-core
    | processors. But what if the market pines for a whole lot less? *
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | The mass move to mobile computing is a destabilizing force and harbinger of
    | change. Microsoft's position would be better if Vista didn't demand so much
    | when the market wants so little. *
    `----

    http://tinyurl.com/2sg6xy

    Linux is about to take over the low end of PCs

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Opinion -- Sometimes, several unrelated changes come to a head at the same
    | time, with a result no one could have predicted. The PC market is at such a
    | tipping point right now and the result will be millions of Linux-powered PCs
    | in users' hands. *
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Microsoft will fight this trend tooth and nail. It will cut prices to the
    | point where it'll be bleeding ink on some of its product lines. And Windows
    | XP is going to stick around much longer than Microsoft ever wanted it to.
    | Still, it won't be enough. By attacking from the bottom, where Microsoft can
    | no longer successfully compete, Linux will finally cut itself a large slice
    | of the desktop market pie. * * *
    `----

  2. Re: [Roy "accidentally" misinterprets another article] $99 GNU/Linux PC Released, Microsoft Presents 2001 Again (was: [News] $99 GNU/Linux PC Released, Microsoft Presents 2001 Again)

    On Fri, 04 Apr 2008 10:33:20 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Shuttle KPC Linux PC now available
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| The KPC comes in a wide-variety of configurations and prices. It's now
    >| available from a bare-bones version of $99 up to a fully loaded model selling
    >| for approximately $299.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS3781425723.html

    When shuttle talks about "bare bones" PC's, they mean just a case,
    powersupply, motherboard, and processor.

    In order to make it work you have to add your own memory and hard disk. So
    this is *NOT* a $99 PC.

    In fact, their cheapest fully functioning version is $229, with 512MB and
    an 80GB hard disk.

  3. Re: $99 GNU/Linux PC Released, Microsoft Presents 2001 Again

    On 4 Apr, 19:09, Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

    > In fact, their cheapest fully functioning version is $229, with 512MB and an 80GB hard disk.

    Thank you ewic, but the grownups can allread tell the difference
    between 'bare-bones' and 'fully loaded'

+ Reply to Thread