Re: Intel vs. the OLPC (It's like Bambi vs Godzilla) - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: Intel vs. the OLPC (It's like Bambi vs Godzilla) - Linux ; On Thu, 03 Apr 2008 20:23:27 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb wrote: >> But for all that high-minded ambition, the XO falls flat in a key area: >> the Web. In Forbes.com's tests, the XO's wi-fi connection was weak and >> finicky. ...

  1. Re: Intel vs. the OLPC (It's like Bambi vs Godzilla)

    On Thu, 03 Apr 2008 20:23:27 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    >> But for all that high-minded ambition, the XO falls flat in a key area:
    >> the Web. In Forbes.com's tests, the XO's wi-fi connection was weak and
    >> finicky. When it did connect, Flash or Java-based sites like YouTube or
    >> Yahoo! Games suffered from crippling sputters and stalls, thanks to the
    >> XO's small memory capacity.

    > That's more than likely Linux, not memory.

    No, it's Adobe Flash Player. Flash Player is a *real* CPU hog and using
    it on anything less than a 1 GHz machine is an unpleasant experience,
    regardless of OS or browser.

    XO - AMD Geode at 433 MHz
    Classmate - Celeron M at 900 MHz

    Flash Player is appaulingly inefficient. Using mplayer I can get smooth
    playback of a YouTube flv on a PII 266 MHz machine at around 25% CPU.
    Using the same machine to watch it with Flash Player maxes the CPU and
    yields about 1 frame per second video. Adobe are trying to port this
    sloth to the iPhone (ARM at 620 MHz) - I wish them luck.

  2. Re: Intel vs. the OLPC (It's like Bambi vs Godzilla)

    On 2008-04-04, Snowbat wrote:
    > On Thu, 03 Apr 2008 20:23:27 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    >
    >>> But for all that high-minded ambition, the XO falls flat in a key area:
    >>> the Web. In Forbes.com's tests, the XO's wi-fi connection was weak and
    >>> finicky. When it did connect, Flash or Java-based sites like YouTube or
    >>> Yahoo! Games suffered from crippling sputters and stalls, thanks to the
    >>> XO's small memory capacity.

    >> That's more than likely Linux, not memory.

    > No, it's Adobe Flash Player. Flash Player is a *real* CPU hog and using
    > it on anything less than a 1 GHz machine is an unpleasant experience,
    > regardless of OS or browser.

    Works great for my kid on his 256 MB Ubuntu laptop.

    (such as webkinz.com).

    I think that this is indeed due to bad wifi.

    > XO - AMD Geode at 433 MHz
    > Classmate - Celeron M at 900 MHz
    >
    > Flash Player is appaulingly inefficient. Using mplayer I can get smooth
    > playback of a YouTube flv on a PII 266 MHz machine at around 25% CPU.
    > Using the same machine to watch it with Flash Player maxes the CPU and
    > yields about 1 frame per second video. Adobe are trying to port this
    > sloth to the iPhone (ARM at 620 MHz) - I wish them luck.

  3. Re: Intel vs. the OLPC (It's like Bambi vs Godzilla)

    On Thu, 03 Apr 2008 23:22:04 -0500, Ignoramus18496 wrote:

    > On 2008-04-04, Snowbat wrote:

    >> No, it's Adobe Flash Player. Flash Player is a *real* CPU hog and using
    >> it on anything less than a 1 GHz machine is an unpleasant experience,
    >> regardless of OS or browser.

    > Works great for my kid on his 256 MB Ubuntu laptop.
    >
    > (such as webkinz.com).

    What processor does your kid's laptop with 256 MB RAM have and what speed
    is it running at? cat /proc/cpuinfo

    Steve Jobs said Flash is "too slow to be useful" on the iPhone. The
    iPhone has a faster processor than the XO.
    http://www.news.com/8301-10787_3-9886265-60.html

    Check your CPU usage when you open a video on YouTube. Do you think a 433
    MHz processor will cope with that?

    The problem is not the decoding demands of flv either. As previously
    stated, mplayer can play back YouTube videos with a *much* lower CPU usage.

    > I think that this is indeed due to bad wifi.

    That may or may not be a factor but Flash is not an appropriate way to
    test network throughput, especially when there is some question of the
    processor being up to the task of running Flash Player.

  4. Re: Intel vs. the OLPC (It's like Bambi vs Godzilla)

    On 2008-04-04, Snowbat wrote:
    > On Thu, 03 Apr 2008 23:22:04 -0500, Ignoramus18496 wrote:
    >
    >> On 2008-04-04, Snowbat wrote:

    >>> No, it's Adobe Flash Player. Flash Player is a *real* CPU hog and using
    >>> it on anything less than a 1 GHz machine is an unpleasant experience,
    >>> regardless of OS or browser.

    >> Works great for my kid on his 256 MB Ubuntu laptop.
    >>
    >> (such as webkinz.com).

    > What processor does your kid's laptop with 256 MB RAM have and what speed
    > is it running at? cat /proc/cpuinfo

    850 MHz.

    The laptop is a Fujitsu LifeBook B2620

    http://asia.cnet.com/reviews/hardwar...009822p,00.htm

    Like I said, it works fine for those kids' flash games like Webkinz.

    > Steve Jobs said Flash is "too slow to be useful" on the iPhone. The
    > iPhone has a faster processor than the XO.
    > http://www.news.com/8301-10787_3-9886265-60.html
    >
    > Check your CPU usage when you open a video on YouTube. Do you think a 433
    > MHz processor will cope with that?

    No idea.

    > The problem is not the decoding demands of flv either. As previously
    > stated, mplayer can play back YouTube videos with a *much* lower CPU usage.

    There are tools to download Youtube videos locally, one is in ubuntu
    distro, and I wrote another that I use personally (perl script). You
    could always use it.

    >> I think that this is indeed due to bad wifi.

    > That may or may not be a factor but Flash is not an appropriate way to
    > test network throughput, especially when there is some question of the
    > processor being up to the task of running Flash Player.

    Yes, but: flash is an important part of the "web experience", and it
    should work.

  5. Re: Intel vs. the OLPC (It's like Bambi vs Godzilla)

    Ignoramus20845 wrote in
    news:zKidndYEKeIQs2vanZ2dnUVZ_rfinZ2d@giganews.com :

    > There are tools to download Youtube videos locally, one is in ubuntu
    > distro, and I wrote another that I use personally (perl script). You
    > could always use it.

    There's a great FF extension for that called VideoDownloadHelper available
    thru the Extensions web page. It simply adds 1 toolbar button that is
    activated when there is conent it can save being displayed on the page. It
    works quite well.

  6. Re: Intel vs. the OLPC (It's like Bambi vs Godzilla)

    On 2008-04-04, DanS wrote:
    > Ignoramus20845 wrote in
    > news:zKidndYEKeIQs2vanZ2dnUVZ_rfinZ2d@giganews.com :
    >
    >> There are tools to download Youtube videos locally, one is in ubuntu
    >> distro, and I wrote another that I use personally (perl script). You
    >> could always use it.

    > There's a great FF extension for that called VideoDownloadHelper available
    > thru the Extensions web page. It simply adds 1 toolbar button that is
    > activated when there is conent it can save being displayed on the page. It
    > works quite well.

    The one I tried, required a endless amount of clicking mouse, back
    button etc. But yes, it is there and it works.

  7. Re: Intel vs. the OLPC (It's like Bambi vs Godzilla)

    DanS wrote:

    > Ignoramus20845 wrote in
    > news:zKidndYEKeIQs2vanZ2dnUVZ_rfinZ2d@giganews.com :
    >
    >> There are tools to download Youtube videos locally, one is in ubuntu
    >> distro, and I wrote another that I use personally (perl script). You
    >> could always use it.

    > There's a great FF extension for that called VideoDownloadHelper available
    > thru the Extensions web page. It simply adds 1 toolbar button that is
    > activated when there is conent it can save being displayed on the page. It
    > works quite well.

    Ignoramus likes to reinvent the wheel. :-) I'm waiting for him to come up
    with a 3d desktop for Linux.

    Cheers.

    --

    "Linux is a very complete and sophisticated operating system. And there is a
    lot of work being done to improve it in and of itself, particularly to make

    --Paul Maritz, senior vice-president of platforms and applications,
    Microsoft

    Latest Patch for MS Word ...
    http://tinyurl.com/2cpbev

    How to get help at Microsoft Support ...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0C2SIZ5qsSQ

+ Reply to Thread