[News] Red Hat and World's Largest Countries Deal a Blow to OOXML - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Red Hat and World's Largest Countries Deal a Blow to OOXML - Linux ; OOXML critics: ISO approval demonstrates the need for reform ,----[ Quote ] | Red Hat's legal team published a statement criticizing the ISO fast track | process and expressing disappointment with the outcome. "Will the real | interoperability standard please ...

  1. [News] Red Hat and World's Largest Countries Deal a Blow to OOXML

    OOXML critics: ISO approval demonstrates the need for reform

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Red Hat's legal team published a statement criticizing the ISO fast track
    | process and expressing disappointment with the outcome. "Will the real
    | interoperability standard please stand up?" Red Hat's legal team wrote. "Red
    | Hat thinks governments and enterprises are not so easily confused. The Open
    | Document Format, which has long been a multiparty-supported ISO standard,
    | will continue to be a force in procurement decisions to be reckoned with.
    | Government and Enterprises are tired of the lack of choice, lack of
    | innovation, and premium rents from vendor lock-in."
    `----

    http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...or-reform.html

    Not many countries will adopt OOXML, regardless what status it eventually gets.

    World's Hottest Tech Markets Voted Against Microsoft OOXML

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Brazil, India, and China, which together count for more than a third of the
    | world's population, all voted against Office Open XML last week.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Gartner estimates that the market share for desktop Linux is about 2% in the
    | Asia-Pacific region, 4.5% in Eastern Europe, and 4% in the Middle East and
    | Africa. By contrast, Linux holds 1.2% of the desktop market in the U.S.
    `----

    Gartner uses _Microsoft figures_, so it's interesting to find almost 5% market
    share for Linux on the desktop in Europe.

    Recent:

    Feeling the heat at Microsoft

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | you who is Microsoft's biggest competitor now, who would it be?

    | to go with that.
    `----

    Microsoft's SEC:

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | A prominent example of open source software is the Linux operating system...
    | To the extent open source software gains increasing market acceptance, sales
    | of our products may decline, we may have to reduce the prices we charge for
    | our products, and revenue and operating margins may consequently decline.
    `----

    http://www. microsoft.com/msft/SEC/default.mspx

    Related:

    EU Initiates Investigation Against Microsoft OOXML Push

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | But with Steve Ballmer taking over as CEO, there was supposed to be a kinder,
    | gentler Microsoft - one that would play nicely with its competitors. *When
    | antitrust regulators in turn challenged this new Microsoft, it issued not
    | challenges to fight to the end to prove that it had done nothing illegal, but
    | statements promising to "cooperate fully."
    `----

    http://www.consortiuminfo.org/standa...80208082501776

    EU Commission Investigating Microsoft's MSOOXML Push

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I hope they think to investigate the smear campaigns that seem to always
    | happen to anyone on the other side from Microsoft. What happened to Peter
    | Quinn was by no means unique. *
    `----

    Corrupt countries were more likely to support the OOXML document format

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Is this just a random coincidence? The median of the CPI index of the above
    | mentioned 70 countries is 3.95. Of the most corrupted half (CPI index less
    | than 3.95) 23 or 77% voted for approval (approval or approval with comments)
    | and 7 or 23% for disapproval; 5 abstained. Of the least corrupted half (CPI
    | index more than 3.95) 13 or 54% voted for approval and 11 or 46% voted for
    | disapproval; 11 abstained - see the table below. * * *
    `----

    http://www.effi.org/blog/kai-2007-09-05.en.html

    Microsoft accused of more OOXML standards fiddling

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | However the 11 new countries are refusing to say how they will vote. These
    | include Cote d'Ivoire, Cyprus, Ecuador, Jamaica, Lebanon, Malta, Pakistan,
    | Trinidad and Tobago, Turkey, Uruguay and Venezuela. Most people seem to think
    | that these have been put there by Vole to make sure the standard gets pushed
    | through. * *
    `----

  2. Re: [News] Red Hat and World's Largest Countries Deal a Blow toOOXML

    On Fri, 04 Apr 2008 02:10:48 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > World's Hottest Tech Markets Voted Against Microsoft OOXML
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Brazil, India, and China, which together count for more than a third
    > | of the world's population, all voted against Office Open XML last
    > | week.

    "ODF is a standard and people like it, so if we make OOXML a standard
    people will like OOXML, too".

    Wrong.

    MS has totally missed the point.

  3. Re: [News] Red Hat and World's Largest Countries Deal a Blow to OOXML

    "netcat" wrote in message
    news:i5udnU_3kcV1BmjanZ2dnUVZ_uidnZ2d@supernews.co m...
    > On Fri, 04 Apr 2008 02:10:48 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >

    >> World's Hottest Tech Markets Voted Against Microsoft OOXML
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | Brazil, India, and China, which together count for more than a third
    >> | of the world's population, all voted against Office Open XML last
    >> | week.

    > "ODF is a standard and people like it, so if we make OOXML a standard
    > people will like OOXML, too".
    >
    > Wrong.
    >
    > MS has totally missed the point.

    No,* you're* missing the point!

    Microsoft has certainly made a good move with their OOXML adoption as an ISO
    standard, as much as I detest it. Many countries were planning to mandate
    only ISO standardized document formats thereby locking Microsoft out of a
    very lucrative market and potentially giving their adversaries new wings.
    Now that OOXML is also an ISO standard, there will be very few countries
    that will actually make the switch.

    We both may find Micrsoft a dispicable company, but please do not think them
    stupid, they're NOT!

  4. Re: [News] Red Hat and World's Largest Countries Deal a Blow to OOXML

    * netcat peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > On Fri, 04 Apr 2008 02:10:48 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >

    >> World's Hottest Tech Markets Voted Against Microsoft OOXML
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | Brazil, India, and China, which together count for more than a third
    >> | of the world's population, all voted against Office Open XML last
    >> | week.

    > "ODF is a standard and people like it, so if we make OOXML a standard
    > people will like OOXML, too".
    >
    > Wrong.
    >
    > MS has totally missed the point.

    Comment from

    ODF is a cogent well designed standard. OOXML is an an unimplemented
    artificial patchwork of overlapping specifications. It's very nature
    - it's overlapping and redundant commands. will result in 3rd part
    applications being confused by how a document should be represented.
    As such - open or not OOXML will continue to make sure that only
    Office products will reliably open documents in that format.

    Then

    OOXML is a very good standard. The real issue is that most of you
    can't get past the Microsoft part. I would wager that you would
    accept an inferior standard so long as it was not Microsoft.

    Deal.

    --
    As we look ahead into the next century, leaders will be those who empower
    others.

  5. Re: [News] Red Hat and World's Largest Countries Deal a Blow toOOXML

    On Fri, 04 Apr 2008 09:05:44 +0200, Jim Relsh wrote:

    > "netcat" wrote in message
    > news:i5udnU_3kcV1BmjanZ2dnUVZ_uidnZ2d@supernews.co m...
    >> On Fri, 04 Apr 2008 02:10:48 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>

    >>> World's Hottest Tech Markets Voted Against Microsoft OOXML
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> | of the world's population, all voted against Office Open XML last |
    >>> week.

    >> "ODF is a standard and people like it, so if we make OOXML a standard
    >> people will like OOXML, too".
    >>
    >> Wrong.
    >>
    >> MS has totally missed the point.

    > No,* you're* missing the point!

    Don't get it, huh?

    > Microsoft has certainly made a good move with their OOXML adoption as an
    > ISO standard, as much as I detest it. Many countries were planning to
    > mandate only ISO standardized document formats thereby locking Microsoft
    > out of a very lucrative market and potentially giving their adversaries
    > new wings. Now that OOXML is also an ISO standard, there will be very
    > few countries that will actually make the switch.

    What people really want is open data formats and escaping vendor
    lock-in. Requiring ISO standards was just a way, some thought, of
    accomplishing that. The corruption involved in the OOXML vote leaves a
    reasonable doubt that the OOXML standard is truly open. Those who would
    have gone with OOXML would have done so anyway without making it an ISO
    standard, and those who want truly open data formats still aren't going
    to adopt OOXML just because Microsoft was able to pervert and corrupt
    the ISO voting process. The latter will just change their laws as
    necessary to exclude doubtful standards. In the end, all MS has
    accomplished is to further tarnish their reputation and defeat thier
    attempts to portray themselves as a "new and changed" company. For that
    they've risked another big EU fine and may yet see the OOXML standard
    overturned.

    > We both may find Micrsoft a dispicable company, but please do not think
    > them stupid, they're NOT!

    MS made a lot of big stupid mistakes with Vista, which in turn have
    allowed OSX and Linux to intrude into their market. Microsoft isn't some
    perfection of evil; it's just a business made up of people - and people
    make mistakes.

  6. Re: [News] Red Hat and World's Largest Countries Deal a Blow to OOXML

    :
    : I wonder what Walmart is doing with all those Linux PCs they couldn't
    sell?
    :

    Putting them next to the Vista machines.

  7. Re: [News] Red Hat and World's Largest Countries Deal a Blow to OOXML

    7 wrote:

    > At the destruction of ISO itself?

    The IT-related parts of many of the national ISO bodies have been
    corrupted. Some of the stalwarts of those corrupted bodies are going to
    spread the word about the carpetbaggers---to the ISO power structure at
    large. We are going to see a house cleaning and rule changes---and
    injury to Microsoft. They will wish they hadn't crammed that thing down
    ISO's throat.

  8. Re: [News] Red Hat and World's Largest Countries Deal a Blow to OOXML

    "Cork Soaker" schreef in bericht

    > :
    > : I wonder what Walmart is doing with all those Linux PCs they couldn't
    > sell?
    > :
    >
    > Putting them next to the Vista machines.

    Please explain why *any* shop would be ****headed enough to put PC's with a
    14.02% marketshare OS (cashcow) next to PC's with a 0.61% marketshare OS?
    http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.aspx?qprid=10
    Congratulations cos you are a candidate for the LINUX IDIOTS blog!
    LMFAO @ you!
    --
    PLEASE VISIT OUR HALL OF LINUX IDIOTS:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  9. Re: [News] Red Hat and World's Largest Countries Deal a Blow to OOXML

    : Please explain why *any* shop would be ****headed enough to put PC's with
    : 14.02% marketshare OS (cashcow) next to PC's with a 0.61% marketshare OS?

    Because Vista is ****. How did you miss that from my clear English?

    Oh, cos you're a thick cunt <-- I used language you will understand, you
    thick cunt.

  10. Re: [News] Red Hat and World's Largest Countries Deal a Blow to OOXML

    *PLONK*

  11. Re: [News] Red Hat and World's Largest Countries Deal a Blow to OOXML

    On Fri, 4 Apr 2008 23:19:47 +0100, troll Cork Soaker said after being slapped:
    > *PLONK*

    I didn't **** your mother that hard. It was more like *plonk*. Thank
    you.

  12. Re: [News] Red Hat and World's Largest Countries Deal a Blow to OOXML

    > : Please explain why *any* shop would be ****headed enough to put PC's
    > with
    > : 14.02% marketshare OS (cashcow) next to PC's with a 0.61% marketshare
    > OS?
    >
    > Because Vista is ****.

    Vista 14.02% marketshare OS, going up 2% + per month, Linux (all 500+ ****ty
    distro's) 0.61% marketshare OS in 10 years!
    BWAHAHAHAHAAAAH, your such a daft twit!

    How did you miss that from my clear English?

    > Oh, cos you're a thick cunt <-- I used language you will understand, you
    > thick cunt.

  13. Re: [News] Red Hat and World's Largest Countries Deal a Blow to OOXML

    "Cork Soaker" wrote in message

    > : I wonder what Walmart is doing with all those Linux PCs they couldn't
    > sell?
    > :
    >
    > Putting them next to the Vista machines.

    No joke. One local store takes the Vista returns, checks them out to make
    sure it only software issues. Then they go to the discount table. Nice for
    Linux.

  14. Re: [News] Red Hat and World's Largest Countries Deal a Blow to OOXML

    Verily I say unto thee, that Matt spake thusly:
    > 7 wrote:

    >> At the destruction of ISO itself?

    > The IT-related parts of many of the national ISO bodies have been
    > corrupted. Some of the stalwarts of those corrupted bodies are going
    > to spread the word about the carpetbaggers---to the ISO power
    > structure at large. We are going to see a house cleaning and rule
    > changes---and injury to Microsoft. They will wish they hadn't
    > crammed that thing down ISO's throat.

    IMHO the OOXML fiasco has done more to expose the true depth of
    Microsoft's corruption than any other event in their history, including
    the Netscape; Novell; Sun; and Comes cases. The Vista class action suit
    may turn out to be equally damaging, but for different reasons.

    I can't say with any degree of certainty that Linux adoption is
    increasing proportionate to these revelations, but dissent against
    Microsoft certainly seems to be, and in the long run that may have the
    desired effect, one way or another.

    Let's hope so.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    `----

    11:23:22 up 107 days, 7:59, 2 users, load average: 0.00, 0.01, 0.07

  15. Re: [News] Red Hat and World's Largest Countries Deal a Blow to OOXML

    ____/ [H]omer on Sunday 06 April 2008 11:23 : \____

    > Verily I say unto thee, that Matt spake thusly:
    >> 7 wrote:

    >>> At the destruction of ISO itself?

    >> The IT-related parts of many of the national ISO bodies have been
    >> corrupted. Some of the stalwarts of those corrupted bodies are going
    >> to spread the word about the carpetbaggers---to the ISO power
    >> structure at large. We are going to see a house cleaning and rule
    >> changes---and injury to Microsoft. They will wish they hadn't
    >> crammed that thing down ISO's throat.

    > IMHO the OOXML fiasco has done more to expose the true depth of
    > Microsoft's corruption than any other event in their history, including
    > the Netscape; Novell; Sun; and Comes cases. The Vista class action suit
    > may turn out to be equally damaging, but for different reasons.
    >
    > I can't say with any degree of certainty that Linux adoption is
    > increasing proportionate to these revelations, but dissent against
    > Microsoft certainly seems to be, and in the long run that may have the
    > desired effect, one way or another.
    >
    > Let's hope so.

    I am very happy about the OOXML fiasco (in a sense) because it gave us a sea of
    corruption stories (at least a couple of hundreds) to be used in years to
    come. For almost every country, there is probably at least one 'match' where
    you can show how Microsoft screws that country. Microsoft gave some very
    effective ammunition to its more critical and vocal watchers and it is going
    to regret this not just because of the heavy EU fines and the public
    embarrassment they will bring.

    No crime -- however effective it might be -- is a good one, provided you get
    caught.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Windows Vistaster: Newly-coined Windows MEstake

  16. Re: [News] Red Hat and World's Largest Countries Deal a Blow to OOXML

    "Clogwog" wrote in message
    news:20080405124539.591561C00082@mwinf6206.orange. nl...
    > "Cork Soaker" schreef in bericht
    >>
    >> : Please explain why *any* shop would be ****headed enough to put PC's
    >> with
    >> : 14.02% marketshare OS (cashcow) next to PC's with a 0.61% marketshare
    >> OS?
    >>
    >> Because Vista is ****.

    > Vista 14.02% marketshare OS, going up 2% + per month, Linux (all 500+
    > ****ty distro's) 0.61% marketshare OS in 10 years!
    > BWAHAHAHAHAAAAH, your such a daft twit!
    >
    > How did you miss that from my clear English?

    What? You don't know clear english you f*cking twit

+ Reply to Thread