Microsoft extends XP Home 2 years—for budget laptops only - Linux

This is a discussion on Microsoft extends XP Home 2 years—for budget laptops only - Linux ; http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...t-laptops.html > Microsoft extends XP Home 2 years—for budget laptops only > > By Eric Bangeman | Published: April 03, 2008 - 02:41PM CT > > Windows XP Home Edition has been given a two-year reprieve by Microsoft. Previously scheduled ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 36

Thread: Microsoft extends XP Home 2 years—for budget laptops only

  1. Microsoft extends XP Home 2 years—for budget laptops only

    http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...t-laptops.html

    > Microsoft extends XP Home 2 years—for budget laptops only
    >
    > By Eric Bangeman | Published: April 03, 2008 - 02:41PM CT
    >
    > Windows XP Home Edition has been given a two-year reprieve by Microsoft. Previously scheduled to be pulled from shelves less than three months from now, XP Home will be available at least through June 2010, and possibly later. In fact, AP is reporting that XP will remain available for a full year after the next version of Windows is released.


  2. Re: Microsoft extends XP Home 2 years—for budget laptops only

    Matt wrote:
    > http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...t-laptops.html
    >
    >
    >> Microsoft extends XP Home 2 years—for budget laptops only
    >>
    >> By Eric Bangeman | Published: April 03, 2008 - 02:41PM CT
    >>
    >> Windows XP Home Edition has been given a two-year reprieve by
    >> Microsoft. Previously scheduled to be pulled from shelves less than
    >> three months from now, XP Home will be available at least through June
    >> 2010, and possibly later. In fact, AP is reporting that XP will remain
    >> available for a full year after the next version of Windows is released.


    see also:

    http://www.computerworld.com/action/...intsrc=hm_list
    (((((
    > Microsoft to keep Windows XP alive -- but only for Eee PCs and wannabes
    > Extends cut-off date for installs on low-cost laptops to 2010, but offers no general reprieve
    > By Eric Lai


    > April 3, 2008 (Computerworld) Microsoft Corp. today confirmed swirling rumors by announcing that it is extending the availability of Windows XP Home Edition until mid-2010 for a fast-emerging class of tiny, cheap laptops led by the Asus Eee.
    >
    > But despite calls for Microsoft to offer a general reprieve for XP users, the company reiterated that June 30 remains the cutoff date for hardware makers and retailers to install XP on new computers other than the low-cost laptops.

    )))))

    http://www.buy-eee-pc.com/eee-pc-news.php

  3. Re: Microsoft extends XP Home 2 years—for budget laptops only


    "Matt" wrote in message
    news:58eJj.1156$Cn4.496@news02.roc.ny...
    > Matt wrote:
    >> http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...t-laptops.html
    >>> Microsoft extends XP Home 2 years—for budget laptops only
    >>>
    >>> By Eric Bangeman | Published: April 03, 2008 - 02:41PM CT
    >>>
    >>> Windows XP Home Edition has been given a two-year reprieve by
    >>> Microsoft. Previously scheduled to be pulled from shelves less than
    >>> three months from now, XP Home will be available at least through
    >>> June 2010, and possibly later. In fact, AP is reporting that XP will
    >>> remain available for a full year after the next version of Windows
    >>> is released.

    >
    > see also:
    >
    > http://www.computerworld.com/action/...intsrc=hm_list
    > (((((
    >> Microsoft to keep Windows XP alive -- but only for Eee PCs and
    >> wannabes
    >> Extends cut-off date for installs on low-cost laptops to 2010, but
    >> offers no general reprieve
    >> By Eric Lai

    >
    >> April 3, 2008 (Computerworld) Microsoft Corp. today confirmed
    >> swirling rumors by announcing that it is extending the availability
    >> of Windows XP Home Edition until mid-2010 for a fast-emerging class
    >> of tiny, cheap laptops led by the Asus Eee.
    >>
    >> But despite calls for Microsoft to offer a general reprieve for XP
    >> users, the company reiterated that June 30 remains the cutoff date
    >> for hardware makers and retailers to install XP on new computers
    >> other than the low-cost laptops.

    > )))))
    >
    > http://www.buy-eee-pc.com/eee-pc-news.php


    I purchased an Asus 701 from Micro Center here in Cambridge
    MA. If it had had a Windows in it I wouldn't have looked
    at it twice; but with Linux, I bought one. I'm not awful
    pleased with what Asus did with the Linux, and my present
    concern is to get the add-ons cleared out so that I have
    a real natural Linux there. When I get the 'user-friendly'
    cruft out it's going to be a really, really nice machine.

    The little 8Gb flash HD, isn't a nuisance. Not when the
    machine works fine with a USB connected 120Gb laptop HD
    in a little carrier purchased for $10. And Micro Center
    is now selling 16G flashes for about $60 so the Asus 701
    just doesn't need a big HD. I got the machine for when I'm
    travelling, but it will be good other times too.

    Why is Asus going to *Windows* for the luvva mike? ??

    Titeotwawki -- mha [cola 2008 Apr 03]



  4. Re: Microsoft extends XP Home 2 years—for budget laptops only

    ____/ Martha Adams on Friday 04 April 2008 02:41 : \____

    >
    > "Matt" wrote in message
    > news:58eJj.1156$Cn4.496@news02.roc.ny...
    >> Matt wrote:
    >>>

    http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...t-laptops.html
    >>>> Microsoft extends XP Home 2 years—for budget laptops only
    >>>>
    >>>> By Eric Bangeman | Published: April 03, 2008 - 02:41PM CT
    >>>>
    >>>> Windows XP Home Edition has been given a two-year reprieve by
    >>>> Microsoft. Previously scheduled to be pulled from shelves less than
    >>>> three months from now, XP Home will be available at least through
    >>>> June 2010, and possibly later. In fact, AP is reporting that XP will
    >>>> remain available for a full year after the next version of Windows
    >>>> is released.

    >>
    >> see also:
    >>
    >>

    http://www.computerworld.com/action/...intsrc=hm_list
    >> (((((
    >>> Microsoft to keep Windows XP alive -- but only for Eee PCs and
    >>> wannabes
    >>> Extends cut-off date for installs on low-cost laptops to 2010, but
    >>> offers no general reprieve
    >>> By Eric Lai

    >>
    >>> April 3, 2008 (Computerworld) Microsoft Corp. today confirmed
    >>> swirling rumors by announcing that it is extending the availability
    >>> of Windows XP Home Edition until mid-2010 for a fast-emerging class
    >>> of tiny, cheap laptops led by the Asus Eee.
    >>>
    >>> But despite calls for Microsoft to offer a general reprieve for XP
    >>> users, the company reiterated that June 30 remains the cutoff date
    >>> for hardware makers and retailers to install XP on new computers
    >>> other than the low-cost laptops.

    >> )))))
    >>
    >> http://www.buy-eee-pc.com/eee-pc-news.php

    >
    > I purchased an Asus 701 from Micro Center here in Cambridge
    > MA. If it had had a Windows in it I wouldn't have looked
    > at it twice; but with Linux, I bought one. I'm not awful
    > pleased with what Asus did with the Linux, and my present
    > concern is to get the add-ons cleared out so that I have
    > a real natural Linux there. When I get the 'user-friendly'
    > cruft out it's going to be a really, really nice machine.
    >
    > The little 8Gb flash HD, isn't a nuisance. Not when the
    > machine works fine with a USB connected 120Gb laptop HD
    > in a little carrier purchased for $10. And Micro Center
    > is now selling 16G flashes for about $60 so the Asus 701
    > just doesn't need a big HD. I got the machine for when I'm
    > travelling, but it will be good other times too.
    >
    > Why is Asus going to *Windows* for the luvva mike? ??
    >
    > Titeotwawki -- mha [cola 2008 Apr 03]


    That's just the 'base' (default) O/S for O/S-agnostic people who simply surf
    the Web and write a couple of letters. The cost of all is pretty much zero, so
    why not pick your favourite?

    The Asus Eee PC (Part Three): The Alternative Distros

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Here is a list to date of the ones that have been designed to work with it to
    | a lesser or greater degree:
    |
    | * DebianEeePC (installs Debian Lenny)
    | * eeeXubuntu
    | * EeePcLinuxOS Eeedora (a customised version of Fedora)
    | * Arch
    | * Ubuntu 7.10 (Gusty Gibbon)
    | * Gentoo
    | * OpenSuse
    | * Backtrack3
    | * gOS
    | * pupEEE
    | * Linpus
    | * Mandriva 2008 Spring (scheduled for 9 April, official release)
    `----

    http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/...native_distros

    ASUS actually receives Windows for a special price. Microsoft is trying to give
    away XP for very cheap just to harm Linux adoption... so that answers
    your "luvva mike" question, hopefully.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Windows O/S: chmod a-x internet; kill -9 internet
    http://Schestowitz.com | Open Prospects | PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
    Tasks: 106 total, 1 running, 105 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie
    http://iuron.com - knowledge engine, not a search engine

  5. Re: Microsoft extends XP Home 2 years—for budget laptops only

    Martha Adams wrote:

    > Why is Asus going to *Windows* for the luvva mike? ??


    Yeah---crazy. Send them an email to talk them out of it. Then go to
    work on Dell and HP. Don't be surprised if some of those nuts don't listen.

  6. Re: Microsoft extends XP Home 2 years—for budget laptops only


    "Windows XP Home Edition has been given a two-year reprieve by Microsoft.
    Previously scheduled to be pulled from shelves less than three months from
    now, XP Home will be available at least through June 2010, and possibly
    later. In fact, AP is reporting that XP will remain available for a full
    year after the next version of Windows is released."

    Not too surprising. Visduh sure isn't suitable for small devices...



  7. Re: Microsoft extends XP Home 2 years—for budget laptops only

    On Fri, 04 Apr 2008 10:06:22 GMT, Matt wrote:

    > Martha Adams wrote:
    >
    >> Why is Asus going to *Windows* for the luvva mike? ??

    >
    > Yeah---crazy. Send them an email to talk them out of it. Then go to
    > work on Dell and HP. Don't be surprised if some of those nuts don't listen.


    They want sales and market share.
    Linux is a dud when it comes to both.


    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Collector of soaps from around the globe.
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  8. Re: Microsoft extends XP Home 2 years—for budget laptops only


    "Martha Adams" wrote in message
    news:ZGfJj.5190$lV1.3084@trndny06...
    >
    > "Matt" wrote in message
    > news:58eJj.1156$Cn4.496@news02.roc.ny...
    >> Matt wrote:
    >>> http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...t-laptops.html
    >>>> Microsoft extends XP Home 2 years—for budget laptops only
    >>>>
    >>>> By Eric Bangeman | Published: April 03, 2008 - 02:41PM CT
    >>>>
    >>>> Windows XP Home Edition has been given a two-year reprieve by
    >>>> Microsoft. Previously scheduled to be pulled from shelves less than
    >>>> three months from now, XP Home will be available at least through June
    >>>> 2010, and possibly later. In fact, AP is reporting that XP will remain
    >>>> available for a full year after the next version of Windows is
    >>>> released.

    >>
    >> see also:
    >>
    >> http://www.computerworld.com/action/...intsrc=hm_list
    >> (((((
    >>> Microsoft to keep Windows XP alive -- but only for Eee PCs and wannabes
    >>> Extends cut-off date for installs on low-cost laptops to 2010, but
    >>> offers no general reprieve
    >>> By Eric Lai

    >>
    >>> April 3, 2008 (Computerworld) Microsoft Corp. today confirmed swirling
    >>> rumors by announcing that it is extending the availability of Windows XP
    >>> Home Edition until mid-2010 for a fast-emerging class of tiny, cheap
    >>> laptops led by the Asus Eee.
    >>>
    >>> But despite calls for Microsoft to offer a general reprieve for XP
    >>> users, the company reiterated that June 30 remains the cutoff date for
    >>> hardware makers and retailers to install XP on new computers other than
    >>> the low-cost laptops.

    >> )))))
    >>
    >> http://www.buy-eee-pc.com/eee-pc-news.php

    >
    > I purchased an Asus 701 from Micro Center here in Cambridge
    > MA. If it had had a Windows in it I wouldn't have looked
    > at it twice; but with Linux, I bought one.


    Yeah. It must be really great that it has linux and you would have avoided
    it if it had Windows.

    That must explain why you're posting from a Windows machine. What's the
    matter... are you using Windows to find the right drivers or config file to
    edit to get your little toy working?

    --- X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.3138
    --- X-MIMEOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.3198



    > I'm not awful
    > pleased with what Asus did with the Linux, and my present
    > concern is to get the add-ons cleared out so that I have
    > a real natural Linux there. When I get the 'user-friendly'
    > cruft out it's going to be a really, really nice machine.
    >
    > The little 8Gb flash HD, isn't a nuisance. Not when the
    > machine works fine with a USB connected 120Gb laptop HD
    > in a little carrier purchased for $10. And Micro Center
    > is now selling 16G flashes for about $60 so the Asus 701
    > just doesn't need a big HD. I got the machine for when I'm
    > travelling, but it will be good other times too.
    >
    > Why is Asus going to *Windows* for the luvva mike? ??
    >
    > Titeotwawki -- mha [cola 2008 Apr 03]
    >
    >




    --
    Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com


  9. Re: Microsoft extends XP Home 2 years—forbudget laptops only

    "Martha Adams" writes:

    > "Matt" wrote in message
    > news:58eJj.1156$Cn4.496@news02.roc.ny...
    >> Matt wrote:
    >>> http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...t-laptops.html
    >>>> Microsoft extends XP Home 2 years—for budget laptops only
    >>>>
    >>>> By Eric Bangeman | Published: April 03, 2008 - 02:41PM CT
    >>>>
    >>>> Windows XP Home Edition has been given a two-year reprieve by
    >>>> Microsoft. Previously scheduled to be pulled from shelves less
    >>>> than three months from now, XP Home will be available at least
    >>>> through June 2010, and possibly later. In fact, AP is reporting
    >>>> that XP will remain available for a full year after the next
    >>>> version of Windows is released.

    >>
    >> see also:
    >>
    >> http://www.computerworld.com/action/...intsrc=hm_list
    >> (((((
    >>> Microsoft to keep Windows XP alive -- but only for Eee PCs and
    >>> wannabes
    >>> Extends cut-off date for installs on low-cost laptops to 2010, but
    >>> offers no general reprieve
    >>> By Eric Lai

    >>
    >>> April 3, 2008 (Computerworld) Microsoft Corp. today confirmed
    >>> swirling rumors by announcing that it is extending the availability
    >>> of Windows XP Home Edition until mid-2010 for a fast-emerging class
    >>> of tiny, cheap laptops led by the Asus Eee.
    >>>
    >>> But despite calls for Microsoft to offer a general reprieve for XP
    >>> users, the company reiterated that June 30 remains the cutoff date
    >>> for hardware makers and retailers to install XP on new computers
    >>> other than the low-cost laptops.

    >> )))))
    >>
    >> http://www.buy-eee-pc.com/eee-pc-news.php

    >
    > I purchased an Asus 701 from Micro Center here in Cambridge
    > MA. If it had had a Windows in it I wouldn't have looked
    > at it twice; but with Linux, I bought one. I'm not awful


    Why? You could install it yourself. Oh! But you do not know how!

    ,----
    | X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.3138
    | X-MIMEOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.3198
    `----


    > pleased with what Asus did with the Linux, and my present
    > concern is to get the add-ons cleared out so that I have
    > a real natural Linux there. When I get the 'user-friendly'
    > cruft out it's going to be a really, really nice machine.


    "When".

    > The little 8Gb flash HD, isn't a nuisance. Not when the
    > machine works fine with a USB connected 120Gb laptop HD
    > in a little carrier purchased for $10. And Micro Center
    > is now selling 16G flashes for about $60 so the Asus 701
    > just doesn't need a big HD. I got the machine for when I'm
    > travelling, but it will be good other times too.
    >
    > Why is Asus going to *Windows* for the luvva mike? ??


    Because people like you use Windows.

    >
    > Titeotwawki -- mha [cola 2008 Apr 03]
    >
    >


    --
    "Do a screen-shot of a text. Now disable anti-aliasing. Do again screen-shot of same text. Compare both. They are exactly the same."
    Peter Koehlmann, COLA, explaining Anti Aliasing ....
    http://tinyurl.com/33672q

  10. Re: Microsoft extends XP Home 2 years—forbudget laptops only

    On Fri, 04 Apr 2008 08:33:01 -0500, troll chrisv said after being slapped:
    >
    > "Windows XP Home Edition has been given a two-year reprieve by Microsoft.
    > Previously scheduled to be pulled from shelves less than three months from
    > now, XP Home will be available at least through June 2010, and possibly
    > later. In fact, AP is reporting that XP will remain available for a full
    > year after the next version of Windows is released."
    >
    > Not too surprising. Visduh sure isn't suitable for small devices...


    And your wife hates your small device. Idiot!

    *plonk*

    Thats my big device entering your wife's tight device. Come watch us,
    you bastard!


  11. Re: Microsoft extends XP Home 2 years—for budget laptops only

    chrisv wrote:

    >
    > "Windows XP Home Edition has been given a two-year reprieve by
    > Microsoft. Previously scheduled to be pulled from shelves less than
    > three months from now, XP Home will be available at least through June
    > 2010, and possibly later. In fact, AP is reporting that XP will remain
    > available for a full year after the next version of Windows is
    > released."
    >
    > Not too surprising. Visduh sure isn't suitable for small devices...


    .... and large devices also.

    http://www.gamespot.com/users/macrul...m-100-25371189

    [quote]
    Another reason to hate Windows Vista

    Today I decided to use my family's computer because my Macbook need to
    charge up so I noticed that our mouse wasn't plugged in so I plugged it in
    and I got this message:

    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Windows Security [X]

    (!) Windows needs your permission to use this device

    +----+
    +-+--+ Mouse
    +----+

    [Allow] [Cancel]

    If you do not trust the source do not use this device. This device can
    potentially harm your computer.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

    No your eyes are not playing tricks on you Vista actually asked me this
    and I said allow it. I wonder if Microsoft knows it's operating system is
    really that stupid, but's that's all I really wanted to say.

    P.S. This is what the true version of Vista is:

    Macrules_640 Over and Out!
    Posted by macrules_640, Apr 2, 2008 8:45 pm PT 15 Comments
    [quote]

    Those comments were really negative about Vista.

    --
    HPT

  12. Re: Microsoft extends XP Home 2 years—for budget laptops only

    On Fri, 04 Apr 2008 19:32:25 -0600, High Plains Thumper wrote:

    > chrisv wrote:
    >
    >>
    >> "Windows XP Home Edition has been given a two-year reprieve by
    >> Microsoft. Previously scheduled to be pulled from shelves less than
    >> three months from now, XP Home will be available at least through June
    >> 2010, and possibly later. In fact, AP is reporting that XP will remain
    >> available for a full year after the next version of Windows is
    >> released."
    >>
    >> Not too surprising. Visduh sure isn't suitable for small devices...

    >
    > ... and large devices also.
    >
    > http://www.gamespot.com/users/macrul...m-100-25371189
    >
    > [quote]
    > Another reason to hate Windows Vista


    Why are you Linux freaks so afraid of Microsoft and Windows?

    Oh, I know why.
    Linux has been around 10 years and Windows XP hasn't been updated, really,
    in how many years?

    Still Linux just can't seem to make that 1 percent of desktop market now
    can it?

    Pathetic when something given away can't compete with an expensive
    commercial product.


    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Collector of soaps from around the globe.
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  13. Re: Microsoft extends XP Home 2 years—for budget laptops only

    Ezekiel wrote:
    > "Martha Adams" wrote...
    >
    >> I purchased an Asus 701 from Micro Center here in Cambridge MA. If it
    >> had had a Windows in it I wouldn't have looked at it twice; but with
    >> Linux, I bought one. I'm not awful pleased with what Asus did with the
    >> Linux, and my present concern is to get the add-ons cleared out so that
    >> I have a real natural Linux there. When I get the 'user-friendly'
    >> cruft out it's going to be a really, really nice machine.

    >
    > Yeah. It must be really great that it has linux and you would have
    > avoided it if it had Windows.
    >
    > That must explain why you're posting from a Windows machine. What's the
    > matter... are you using Windows to find the right drivers or config file
    > to edit to get your little toy working?
    >
    > --- X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.3138 ---
    > X-MIMEOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.3198


    Hmmm .... focus becomes what the poster used to post with rather than
    discussing what the poster was trying to communicate. The same old weary
    agenda ....

    >> the Asus 701 just doesn't need a big HD. I got the machine for when
    >> I'm travelling, but it will be good other times too.


    --
    HPT

  14. Re: Microsoft extends XP Home 2 years—for budget laptops only

    Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    > High Plains Thumper wrote:
    >> chrisv wrote:
    >>
    >>> Not too surprising. Visduh sure isn't suitable for small devices...

    >>
    >> ... and large devices also.
    >>
    >> http://www.gamespot.com/users/macrul...m-100-25371189
    >>
    >> [quote]
    >> Another reason to hate Windows Vista

    >
    > Why


    Really sad that you have nothing better to say, putting words in people's
    mouths they never said. But then, I would expect nothing less from a
    winboi like you.

    --
    HPT

  15. Re: Microsoft extends XP Home 2 years—for budget laptops only

    On Fri, 04 Apr 2008 19:52:01 -0600, High Plains Thumper wrote:

    > Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    >> High Plains Thumper wrote:
    >>> chrisv wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> Not too surprising. Visduh sure isn't suitable for small devices...
    >>>
    >>> ... and large devices also.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.gamespot.com/users/macrul...m-100-25371189
    >>>
    >>> [quote]
    >>> Another reason to hate Windows Vista

    >>
    >> Why

    >
    > Really sad that you have nothing better to say, putting words in people's
    > mouths they never said. But then, I would expect nothing less from a
    > winboi like you.


    Well let's take a look at COLA and see what's going on, shall we?

    Why so many anti-Microsoft posts?

    Why all the discussion of what Windows /Microsoft cannot, won't, will not
    do instead of what Linux CAN do?

    Hmmm?

    This is supposed to be a Linux advocacy group but by just reading the posts
    you would never know it.

    So you tell me HPT, what are you Linux freaks so afraid of?

    If Linux is as good as you claim, why such a low market share for desktops?

    Why can't Walmart sell Linux machines?

    Why does it take Munich 7 years to upgrade a couple of thousand Linux
    machines?

    Why do school districts that moved to Linux decide to move back to Windows?

    Why does Asus decide to sell a Windows Eee PC if the Linux one is so great?

    Why are people who bought the Linux Eee PC removing Linux and installing
    Windows?

    Well?


    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Collector of soaps from around the globe.
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  16. Re: Microsoft extends XP Home 2 years—for budget laptops only

    On Fri, 04 Apr 2008 19:48:15 -0600, High Plains Thumper wrote:


    > Hmmm .... focus becomes what the poster used to post with rather than
    > discussing what the poster was trying to communicate. The same old weary
    > agenda ....


    And that's exactly what you Linux freaks do on a regular basis.
    You attack the messenger instead of the message.

    See Willy Poaster and his fantastic filters for details.

    So what are you Linux freaks afraid of?


    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Collector of soaps from around the globe.
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  17. Re: Microsoft extends XP Home 2 years—for budget laptops only

    Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    > On Fri, 04 Apr 2008 19:52:01 -0600, High Plains Thumper wrote:
    >
    >> Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    >>> High Plains Thumper wrote:
    >>>> chrisv wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>> Not too surprising. Visduh sure isn't suitable for small devices...
    >>>>
    >>>> ... and large devices also.
    >>>>
    >>>>

    http://www.gamespot.com/users/macrul...m-100-25371189
    >>>>
    >>>> [quote]
    >>>> Another reason to hate Windows Vista
    >>>
    >>> Why

    >>
    >> Really sad that you have nothing better to say, putting words in people's
    >> mouths they never said. But then, I would expect nothing less from a
    >> winboi like you.

    >
    > Well let's take a look at COLA and see what's going on, shall we?
    >

    Yes, let's do that Mr. Soap Dish.

    > Why so many anti-Microsoft posts?
    >

    Because most sensible computer users who've been around hate Microsoft.

    > Why all the discussion of what Windows /Microsoft cannot, won't, will not
    > do instead of what Linux CAN do?
    >
    > Hmmm?
    >

    Because WE know what Linux can do and how inferior M$'s toy operating
    systems are in comparision.

    > This is supposed to be a Linux advocacy group but by just reading the
    > posts you would never know it.
    >

    Thanks to Wintard trolls like you and your butt-buddies.

    > So you tell me HPT, what are you Linux freaks so afraid of?
    >

    Nothing! We shall eventually dominate the desktop market in this world. Just
    you wait and see.

    > If Linux is as good as you claim, why such a low market share for
    > desktops?
    >

    Because "market share" means NOTHING with free operating systems like Linux.
    You and no one else has any idea how many Linux boxes I run here, unless I
    tell you. So much for bull**** "market share".

    > Why can't Walmart sell Linux machines?
    >

    Because Wintards shop at Wally's World. Serious computer users don't.

    > Why does it take Munich 7 years to upgrade a couple of thousand Linux
    > machines?
    >
    > Why do school districts that moved to Linux decide to move back to
    > Windows?
    >

    Maybe because teachers work in the school system and they're almost as dumb
    as you are.

    > Why does Asus decide to sell a Windows Eee PC if the Linux one is so
    > great?
    >

    Who knows? I'd never purchase one with Windozse. Only an idiot would. Maybe
    MickeyMouse has offered some other kinds of its notorious incentives to
    have Asus provide Windoze with some of those boxes?

    > Why are people who bought the Linux Eee PC removing Linux and installing
    > Windows?
    >

    They are? They must be related to you.

    > Well?
    >

    Well? How come you're such a ****wit asswipe?
    >


    Cheers.

    --

    "Linux is a very complete and sophisticated operating system. And there is a
    lot of work being done to improve it in and of itself, particularly to make
    it easier to use and easier for people to set up on their personal
    computers."

    --Paul Maritz, senior vice-president of platforms and applications,
    Microsoft

    Latest Patch for MS Word ...
    http://tinyurl.com/2cpbev

    How to get help at Microsoft Support ...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0C2SIZ5qsSQ

  18. Re: Microsoft extends XP Home 2 years—for budget laptops only

    On Fri, 04 Apr 2008 19:17:54 -0700, NoStop wrote:

    > Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 04 Apr 2008 19:52:01 -0600, High Plains Thumper wrote:
    >>
    >>> Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    >>>> High Plains Thumper wrote:
    >>>>> chrisv wrote:
    >>>>>
    >>>>>> Not too surprising. Visduh sure isn't suitable for small devices...
    >>>>>
    >>>>> ... and large devices also.
    >>>>>
    >>>>>

    > http://www.gamespot.com/users/macrul...m-100-25371189
    >>>>>
    >>>>> [quote]
    >>>>> Another reason to hate Windows Vista
    >>>>
    >>>> Why
    >>>
    >>> Really sad that you have nothing better to say, putting words in people's
    >>> mouths they never said. But then, I would expect nothing less from a
    >>> winboi like you.

    >>
    >> Well let's take a look at COLA and see what's going on, shall we?
    >>

    > Yes, let's do that Mr. Soap Dish.
    >
    >> Why so many anti-Microsoft posts?
    >>

    > Because most sensible computer users who've been around hate Microsoft.
    >
    >> Why all the discussion of what Windows /Microsoft cannot, won't, will not
    >> do instead of what Linux CAN do?
    >>
    >> Hmmm?
    >>

    > Because WE know what Linux can do and how inferior M$'s toy operating
    > systems are in comparision.
    >
    >> This is supposed to be a Linux advocacy group but by just reading the
    >> posts you would never know it.
    >>

    > Thanks to Wintard trolls like you and your butt-buddies.
    >
    >> So you tell me HPT, what are you Linux freaks so afraid of?
    >>

    > Nothing! We shall eventually dominate the desktop market in this world. Just
    > you wait and see.
    >
    >> If Linux is as good as you claim, why such a low market share for
    >> desktops?
    >>

    > Because "market share" means NOTHING with free operating systems like Linux.
    > You and no one else has any idea how many Linux boxes I run here, unless I
    > tell you. So much for bull**** "market share".
    >
    >> Why can't Walmart sell Linux machines?
    >>

    > Because Wintards shop at Wally's World. Serious computer users don't.
    >
    >> Why does it take Munich 7 years to upgrade a couple of thousand Linux
    >> machines?
    >>
    >> Why do school districts that moved to Linux decide to move back to
    >> Windows?
    >>

    > Maybe because teachers work in the school system and they're almost as dumb
    > as you are.
    >
    >> Why does Asus decide to sell a Windows Eee PC if the Linux one is so
    >> great?
    >>

    > Who knows? I'd never purchase one with Windozse. Only an idiot would. Maybe
    > MickeyMouse has offered some other kinds of its notorious incentives to
    > have Asus provide Windoze with some of those boxes?
    >
    >> Why are people who bought the Linux Eee PC removing Linux and installing
    >> Windows?
    >>

    > They are? They must be related to you.
    >
    >> Well?
    >>

    > Well? How come you're such a ****wit asswipe?
    >>

    >
    > Cheers.


    Linux advocacy at it's finest....
    Tell me, why is it that Linux seems to attract the bottom of the barrel?

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Collector of soaps from around the globe.
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  19. Re: Microsoft extends XP Home 2 years—for budget laptops only

    NoStop wrote:
    > Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    >
    >> This is supposed to be a Linux advocacy group but by just
    >> reading the posts you would never know it.

    >
    > Thanks to Wintard trolls like you and your butt-buddies.
    >
    >> So you tell me HPT, what are you Linux freaks so afraid of?

    >
    > Nothing! We shall eventually dominate the desktop market in
    > this world. Just you wait and see.
    >
    >> If Linux is as good as you claim, why such a low market
    >> share for desktops?

    >
    > Because "market share" means NOTHING with free operating
    > systems like Linux. You and no one else has any idea how many
    > Linux boxes I run here, unless I tell you. So much for
    > bull**** "market share".
    >
    >> Why can't Walmart sell Linux machines?

    >
    > Because Wintards shop at Wally's World. Serious computer users
    > don't.


    Computers used to be sold in places like Sears, Office Max,
    RadioShack, etc. Now you find them not in the stores but
    on-line. Why? One can buy cheaper on-line and get what they
    want. This is one thing the troll-tards don't understand.

    The local Super Wal-Mart here no longer stocks but several
    laptops and two desktop systems. The computer stuff that used to
    take up a whole isle now is down to a quarter of that.

    I bought a Lightscribe DVD rewriter for under $40 at
    TigerDirect.com. Why would I pay twice that for a similar item
    at Wal-Mart?

    >> Why does it take Munich 7 years to upgrade a couple of
    >> thousand Linux machines?
    >>
    >> Why do school districts that moved to Linux decide to move
    >> back to Windows?

    >
    > Maybe because teachers work in the school system and they're
    > almost as dumb as you are.


    Point made is not totally true. There were a few that went back.
    However, that is not representative of the whole lot.

    >> Why does Asus decide to sell a Windows Eee PC if the Linux
    >> one is so great?

    >
    > Who knows? I'd never purchase one with Windozse. Only an idiot
    > would. Maybe MickeyMouse has offered some other kinds of its
    > notorious incentives to have Asus provide Windoze with some of
    > those boxes?


    Like the $3 per OS and Office suite copy for China, to undermine
    the alternative cost effective OS's like Linux.

    >> Why are people who bought the Linux Eee PC removing Linux
    >> and installing Windows?
    >>

    > They are? They must be related to you.


    He's generalising again. They are not. There will be some who
    will try, then return to Linux. These are not representative of
    the total populace who buys Eee PC's. For one, the PC's are
    limited on resources to begin with. Their small size are
    reminiscent of the HP pocketable micro PC's of yesteryear.

    Example, one wants to be able to whilst on travel status, get
    their E-mail, browse the net, etc., without lugging around a
    regular laptop. Linux suits quite nicely and it is able to work
    with such limited resources in mass storage.

    One would not be running thick applications like AutoCAD.

    >> Well?
    >>

    > Well? How come you're such a ****wit asswipe?


    From what I gather, most have him kill filed and those that
    don't pay very little attention to his postings.


    --
    HPT

  20. Re: Microsoft extends XP Home 2 years—for budget laptops only

    Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    > Why do school districts that moved to Linux decide to move back to Windows?


    Please name one that did that.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast