NEWS - Open source databases: the 97-pound weakling - Linux

This is a discussion on NEWS - Open source databases: the 97-pound weakling - Linux ; http://weblog.infoworld.com/tech-bot...ource_dat.html When it comes to the database world, open source is still a 97-pound weakling. And despite some heady growth numbers, that's not likely to change anytime soon. Even fast growth won't easily overcome the tiny installed base As a ...

  1. NEWS - Open source databases: the 97-pound weakling

    http://weblog.infoworld.com/tech-bot...ource_dat.html

    When it comes to the database world, open source is still a 97-pound
    weakling. And despite some heady growth numbers, that's not likely to change
    anytime soon.

    Even fast growth won't easily overcome the tiny installed base
    As a result, open source database penetration is very low; Gartner estimates
    that it has a market share of about 1 percent. Sure, it's growing rapidly,
    but even after an annual growth of 43 percent a year for the next four
    years, it will still have a share of only 5 percent or so, says Graham.

  2. Re: NEWS - Open source databases: the 97-pound weakling

    Ezekiel wrote:

    > Gartner
    > estimates that it has a market share of about 1 percent. Sure, it's
    > growing rapidly, but even after an annual growth of 43 percent a year for
    > the next four years, it will still have a share of only 5 percent or so,
    > says Graham.

    Says the mathemagician?

  3. Re: NEWS - Open source databases: the 97-pound weakling

    Micoshaft Fraudster Ezekiel Goldfart Fish Flatly wrote on behalf of half
    wits at Micoshaft Corporation:

    > http://weblog.infoworld.com/tech-bot...chives/2008/04

    open_source_dat.html

    > When it comes to the database world, open source is still a 97-pound
    > weakling. And despite some heady growth numbers, that's not likely to
    > change anytime soon.
    >
    > Even fast growth won't easily overcome the tiny installed base
    > As a result, open source database penetration is very low; Gartner
    > estimates that it has a market share of about 1 percent.

    It is still 1% more market share than Micoshaft Corporation as they don't
    have an identical product in the same market.
    Thats because Micshaft is a crap computer company
    that gone bad with corruption. Their products suck and others
    are able to offer more of what the market wants.

    Linux in particular is doing very well with 60% to 80% growth rate.
    http://www.livecdlist.com
    http://www.distrowatch.com

  4. Re: NEWS - Open source databases: the 97-pound weakling

    Cork Soaker wrote:
    > Ezekiel wrote:
    >

    >> Gartner
    >> estimates that it has a market share of about 1 percent. Sure, it's
    >> growing rapidly, but even after an annual growth of 43 percent a
    >> year for the next four years, it will still have a share of only 5
    >> percent or so, says Graham.

    > Says the mathemagician?

    No bozo. Says the consulting firm that studies and surveys these markets
    for a living.

  5. Re: NEWS - Open source databases: the 97-pound weakling

    On Thu, 03 Apr 2008 11:57:09 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:

    > http://weblog.infoworld.com/tech-bot...hives/2008/04/

    open_source_dat.html

    > When it comes to the database world, open source is still a 97-pound
    > weakling. And despite some heady growth numbers, that's not likely to
    > change anytime soon.
    >
    > Even fast growth won't easily overcome the tiny installed base As a
    > result, open source database penetration is very low; Gartner estimates
    > that it has a market share of about 1 percent. Sure, it's growing
    > rapidly, but even after an annual growth of 43 percent a year for the
    > next four years, it will still have a share of only 5 percent or so,
    > says Graham.

    http://www.informationweek.com/news/...e/open_source/
    showArticle.jhtml;jsessionid=HLE53R1LZRBJMQSNDLPSK H0CJUNN2JVN?
    articleID=206900327&_requestid=203194

    The $1 billion cost of acquiring MySQL was worth the price, said
    Schwartz. MySQL "was the crown jewel of the open source marketplace,"
    with 11 million customers and "the strategic value of opening new markets
    to Sun," he said in a teleconference announcing the closure of the deal
    on Tuesday.

    11 million copies. Hmm. So, if MySQL qualifies as an open source DB and
    it accounts for only 1% of the market, it follows there are 100 times as
    many DB servers in total, or 1,100,000,000. A billion DB servers? I
    don't think so.

    Of course, this is made somewhat worse as MySQL is not the only OSS DB
    server. There's Postgres, for example, which seems to be somewhat less
    popular than MySQL but not exactly unheard of.

    Add up _all_ the OSS DB offerings, plug in that 1% figure, you're at
    least doubling the figure, so you'll need over 2 billion DB servers in
    the world to make this work. Or between two and four DB servers for
    every single desktop user claimed to be out there.

    I'm sure you will now show figures to support the notion there are better
    than two billion DB servers out there in the wild, right?

+ Reply to Thread