Another blow for linux - Linux

This is a discussion on Another blow for linux - Linux ; http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=1507 Newsflash from ASUS - the company is predicting that the XP Home version of the Eee PC will outsell the Linux-based version by 3 to 2. ASUS expects to ship in the region of 5 million Eee units this ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

  1. Another blow for linux

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=1507

    Newsflash from ASUS - the company is predicting that the XP Home version of
    the Eee PC will outsell the Linux-based version by 3 to 2.

    ASUS expects to ship in the region of 5 million Eee units this year, but the
    fact that the company expects 3 million of these to be XP-based must come as
    a poke in the eye to all the Linux enthusiasts who saw the Eee as bringing
    Linux to the masses.

  2. Re: Another blow for linux

    On Thu, 03 Apr 2008 11:01:10 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:

    > http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=1507
    >

    > Newsflash from ASUS - the company is predicting that the XP Home version
    > of the Eee PC will outsell the Linux-based version by 3 to 2.

    So why not a vista version - that should REALLY go!

    > ASUS expects to ship in the region of 5 million Eee units this year, but
    > the fact that the company expects 3 million of these to be XP-based must
    > come as a poke in the eye to all the Linux enthusiasts who saw the Eee
    > as bringing Linux to the masses.

  3. Re: Another blow for linux

    Ezekiel wrote:

    > http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=1507
    >

    > Newsflash from ASUS - the company is predicting that the XP Home version
    > of the Eee PC will outsell the Linux-based version by 3 to 2.

    Well duh.

  4. Re: Another blow for linux

    On 2008-04-03, Ezekiel wrote:

    > http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=1507

    That's a marketshare of 40%, compared to an overall
    marketshare of less than 1% (if we believe people
    such as yourself) where is the big tragedy?

    --

    The average IT manager is a less effective mentor than a
    Spongebob Squarepants cartoon.

    http://www.usenet.com

  5. Re: Another blow for linux

    On Thu, 03 Apr 2008 13:43:47 -0500, JEDIDIAH wrote:

    > On 2008-04-03, Ezekiel wrote:
    >>
    >> http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=1507
    >>

    > That's a marketshare of 40%, compared to an overall marketshare of less
    > than 1% (if we believe people such as yourself) where is the big
    > tragedy?

    And even the Windows XP EEE's are Linux-compatible. When their owners get
    tired of running an 8-year-old OS, being treated like dirt, and being
    charged more for Windows applications than they paid for the computer,
    it'll be an easy move to Linux.

  6. Re: Another blow for linux

    netcat writes:

    > On Thu, 03 Apr 2008 13:43:47 -0500, JEDIDIAH wrote:
    >
    >> On 2008-04-03, Ezekiel wrote:
    >>>
    >>> http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=1507
    >>>

    >> That's a marketshare of 40%, compared to an overall marketshare of less
    >> than 1% (if we believe people such as yourself) where is the big
    >> tragedy?
    >>

    > And even the Windows XP EEE's are Linux-compatible. When their owners
    > get

    LOL.

    You'll be like Koehlmann claiming the PS3 is a Linux machine. You'll no
    doubt be claiming that all the EEEs shipped with Xp are in fact "Linux
    machines".

    Bozo.

    > tired of running an 8-year-old OS, being treated like dirt, and being
    > charged more for Windows applications than they paid for the computer,
    > it'll be an easy move to Linux.

    Sure. This is the year of Linux!

    --
    * JHM wonders what Joey did to earn "I'd just like to say, for the record,
    that Joey rules."

  7. Re: Another blow for linux

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, netcat

    wrote
    on Thu, 03 Apr 2008 14:29:05 -0500
    :
    > On Thu, 03 Apr 2008 13:43:47 -0500, JEDIDIAH wrote:
    >
    >> On 2008-04-03, Ezekiel wrote:
    >>>
    >>> http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=1507
    >>>

    >> That's a marketshare of 40%, compared to an overall marketshare of less
    >> than 1% (if we believe people such as yourself) where is the big
    >> tragedy?
    >>

    > And even the Windows XP EEE's are Linux-compatible. When their owners get
    > tired of running an 8-year-old OS, being treated like dirt, and being
    > charged more for Windows applications than they paid for the computer,
    > it'll be an easy move to Linux.

    No it won't. Microsoft still has its mighty Marketing
    Machine, and it'll flood the airwaves and print media with
    seductive adverts touting Vista as the best thing since
    sliced bread (or something in lieu thereof; they only know,
    as I don't).

    Expect a lot of sliced bread (or something in lieu thereof)
    in the near future.

    Not sure how Linux can overcome that deluge of sliced bread.
    Best I can hope for is an ASUS campaign countering it, and
    more support from Dell, though last time I looked Dell was
    more interested in the pretty outsides of its laptops than
    what software was going thereinto.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Windows Vista. Because it's time to refresh your hardware. Trust us.

  8. Re: Another blow for Windowps

    Ezekiel wrote:

    > http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=1507
    >

    > Newsflash from ASUS - the company is predicting that the XP Home version
    > of the Eee PC will outsell the Linux-based version by 3 to 2.
    >
    > ASUS expects to ship in the region of 5 million Eee units this year, but
    > the fact that the company expects 3 million of these to be XP-based must
    > come as a poke in the eye to all the Linux enthusiasts who saw the Eee as
    > bringing Linux to the masses.

    It looks like Linux got there first and created the market first.
    Its a massive terrible blow and shame for micoshaft corporation marketing.
    They know nothing except how to become wannabees.

    Linux is now first in many things serving the customer ahead of windummies.
    http://www.livecdlist.com
    http://www.distrowatch.com

  9. Re: Another blow for linux

    On Thu, 3 Apr 2008 11:01:10 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:

    > http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=1507
    >

    > Newsflash from ASUS - the company is predicting that the XP Home version of
    > the Eee PC will outsell the Linux-based version by 3 to 2.
    >
    > ASUS expects to ship in the region of 5 million Eee units this year, but the
    > fact that the company expects 3 million of these to be XP-based must come as
    > a poke in the eye to all the Linux enthusiasts who saw the Eee as bringing
    > Linux to the masses.

    Too bad they don't have any figures on how many of the Linux machines were
    reloaded with Windows after the users got fed up with Linux.

    It sure didn't take long for the blogs and help sites to appear to show how
    to dump Linux and load Windows.
    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  10. Re: Another blow for linux

    Ezekiel wrote:
    > http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=1507
    >

    > Newsflash from ASUS - the company is predicting that the XP Home version of
    > the Eee PC will outsell the Linux-based version by 3 to 2.
    >
    > ASUS expects to ship in the region of 5 million Eee units this year, but the
    > fact that the company expects 3 million of these to be XP-based must come as
    > a poke in the eye to all the Linux enthusiasts who saw the Eee as bringing
    > Linux to the masses.

    No ****, Sherlock. Why would you think a Windows based EEE wouldn't
    outsell a Linux based one?

    --
    Rick

  11. Re: Another blow for Windowps

    On Apr 3, 1:41*pm, 7 wrote:
    > Ezekiel wrote:
    >
    > >http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=1507

    > > Newsflash from ASUS - the company is predicting that the XP Home version
    > > of the Eee PC will outsell the Linux-based version by 3 to 2.

    > > ASUS expects to ship in the region of 5 million Eee units this year, but
    > > the fact that the company expects 3 million of these to be XP-based must
    > > come as a poke in the eye to all the Linux enthusiasts who saw the Eee as
    > > bringing Linux to the masses.
    > >

    > It looks like Linux got there first and created the market first.
    > Its a massive terrible blow and shame for micoshaft corporation marketing.
    > They know nothing except how to become wannabees.

    In all fairness, Microsoft did try something similar in the mid to
    late 90's.

    The problem was...

    -The OS (usually WinCE 2.x) was installed in ROM and wasn't
    upgradeable
    -The processor architecture used in these devices varied by
    manufacturer, resulting in poor third-party software support.
    -Applications were not backwards-compatible between different versions
    of Windows CE.
    -The devices didn't include enough memory to run applications
    smoothly.

    Windows XP may function on the EEE, but it'll eat up a significant
    amount space on the SSD; its performance may also come as a throwback
    to the days of Windows CE. Linux, on the other hand, is easily
    scalable and quite usable on systems with constraints on space and
    memory.

    > Linux is now first in many things serving the customer ahead of windummies..http://www.livecdlist.comhttp://www.distrowatch.com

  12. Re: Another blow for linux

    On Thu, 03 Apr 2008 21:31:09 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > netcat writes:

    >>> That's a marketshare of 40%, compared to an overall marketshare of
    >>> less than 1% (if we believe people such as yourself) where is the big
    >>> tragedy?
    >>>

    >> And even the Windows XP EEE's are Linux-compatible. When their owners
    >> get

    > LOL.

    Microsoft doesn't find linux hardware compatibility to be at all
    laughable.

    > You'll be like Koehlmann claiming the PS3 is a Linux machine. You'll no
    > doubt be claiming that all the EEEs shipped with Xp are in fact "Linux
    > machines".

    Show where I said any such thing.

    > Bozo.

    Moron.

    >> tired of running an 8-year-old OS, being treated like dirt, and being
    >> charged more for Windows applications than they paid for the computer,
    >> it'll be an easy move to Linux.

    > Sure. This is the year of Linux!

    Your whole post consists of replies to things I didn't say.

  13. Re: Another blow for Windowps

    * 7 peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Ezekiel wrote:
    >

    >> http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=1507
    >>

    >> Newsflash from ASUS - the company is predicting that the XP Home version
    >> of the Eee PC will outsell the Linux-based version by 3 to 2.
    >>
    >> ASUS expects to ship in the region of 5 million Eee units this year, but
    >> the fact that the company expects 3 million of these to be XP-based must
    >> come as a poke in the eye to all the Linux enthusiasts who saw the Eee as
    >> bringing Linux to the masses.

    Why is that bad for Linux? It's bad for XP! Generally "outsells" Linux
    9 to 1 on all machines, but only by 3 to 2 on Eee PC.

    Asus must believe that XP is somewhat of a stinker on the Eee PC.

    > It looks like Linux got there first and created the market first.
    > Its a massive terrible blow and shame for micoshaft corporation marketing.
    > They know nothing except how to become wannabees.

    This Teranews Troll is generally as dumb as a stump. A real
    ****-kicker.

    --
    If people had understood how patents would be granted when most of today's
    ideas were invented, and had taken out patents, the industry would be at a

  14. Re: Another blow for Windowps

    Linonut wrote:

    > * 7 peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> Ezekiel wrote:
    >>

    >>> http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=1507
    >>>

    >>> Newsflash from ASUS - the company is predicting that the XP Home version
    >>> of the Eee PC will outsell the Linux-based version by 3 to 2.
    >>>
    >>> ASUS expects to ship in the region of 5 million Eee units this year, but
    >>> the fact that the company expects 3 million of these to be XP-based must
    >>> come as a poke in the eye to all the Linux enthusiasts who saw the Eee
    >>> as bringing Linux to the masses.
    >>>

    > Why is that bad for Linux? It's bad for XP! Generally "outsells" Linux
    > 9 to 1 on all machines, but only by 3 to 2 on Eee PC.
    >
    > Asus must believe that XP is somewhat of a stinker on the Eee PC.
    >
    >> It looks like Linux got there first and created the market first.
    >> Its a massive terrible blow and shame for micoshaft corporation
    >> marketing. They know nothing except how to become wannabees.

    > This Teranews Troll is generally as dumb as a stump. A real
    > ****-kicker.

    Windummies to core - their market share is
    dropping while their asstroturfing on a hiding
    to nothing are increasing.

    I'm spending a lot of time near a computer
    installing loads of virtualbox installs
    on loads of distros - reading the newsgroup
    and passing away time until a golden nuggat gets
    posted - today it had to be the 25Mb slitaz livecd!!

  15. Re: Another blow for linux

    netcat wrote:

    > On Thu, 03 Apr 2008 21:31:09 +0200, Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> netcat writes:

    >>> And even the Windows XP EEE's are Linux-compatible. When their owners
    >>> get

    >> LOL.

    > Microsoft doesn't find linux hardware compatibility to be at all
    > laughable.
    >
    >> You'll be like Koehlmann claiming the PS3 is a Linux machine. You'll no
    >> doubt be claiming that all the EEEs shipped with Xp are in fact "Linux
    >> machines".

    > Show where I said any such thing.
    >
    >> Bozo.

    > Moron.
    >

    >>> tired of running an 8-year-old OS, being treated like dirt, and being
    >>> charged more for Windows applications than they paid for the computer,
    >>> it'll be an easy move to Linux.

    >> Sure. This is the year of Linux!

    > Your whole post consists of replies to things I didn't say.

    It's the voices in Quack's head telling him what to say, you know.

    --
    Mandriva - 2008.1 - RC2 - 64bit OS.
    COLA trolls: http://colatrolls.blogspot.com/

  16. Re: Another blow for linux

    On 2008-04-03 12:21:45 -0400, ray said:

    > On Thu, 03 Apr 2008 11:01:10 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:
    >
    >> http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=1507
    >>

    >> Newsflash from ASUS - the company is predicting that the XP Home version
    >> of the Eee PC will outsell the Linux-based version by 3 to 2.

    > So why not a vista version - that should REALLY go!

    NOT! Vista sucks camel assholes.

  17. Re: Another blow for linux

    On 2008-04-03 14:09:38 -0400, Cork Soaker said:

    > Ezekiel wrote:
    >

    >> http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=1507
    >>

    >> Newsflash from ASUS - the company is predicting that the XP Home version
    >> of the Eee PC will outsell the Linux-based version by 3 to 2.
    >>

    > Well duh.

    Duh indeed, no surprise here but they've still sold a ton of the
    original eeepc WITH linux.

  18. Re: Another blow for linux

    Ezekiel wrote:

    > http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=1507
    >

    > Newsflash from ASUS - the company is predicting that the XP Home version
    > of the Eee PC will outsell the Linux-based version by 3 to 2.
    >
    > ASUS expects to ship in the region of 5 million Eee units this year, but
    > the fact that the company expects 3 million of these to be XP-based must
    > come as a poke in the eye to all the Linux enthusiasts who saw the Eee as
    > bringing Linux to the masses.

    So the Eee is intended for business users, it must be as Microsoft is not
    suppling XP for home use, so why put XP home on it?? it makes no sense, why
    not put Vista on it ;-)

    The nice thing about 'Linux' it can be adopted to run on any class of
    machine, XP on the Eee, its possible but when you load up the Anti virus
    software, the spyware software, along with other bloated software packages
    you tend to find on windows, will it still run, like hell it won't, if XP
    slows and dies on an average box, on the Eee its doomed.

    Jem..

  19. Re: Another blow for linux

    * Jeremy Fisher peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >> http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=1507
    >>

    >> Newsflash from ASUS - the company is predicting that the XP Home version
    >> of the Eee PC will outsell the Linux-based version by 3 to 2.
    >>

    > So the Eee is intended for business users, it must be as Microsoft is not
    > suppling XP for home use, so why put XP home on it?? it makes no sense, why
    > not put Vista on it ;-)

    I missed the "Home" part. XP Home? Why dick with that crap when you
    can run Linux? XP Pro is crippled enough.

    > The nice thing about 'Linux' it can be adopted to run on any class of
    > machine, XP on the Eee, its possible but when you load up the Anti virus
    > software, the spyware software, along with other bloated software packages
    > you tend to find on windows, will it still run, like hell it won't, if XP
    > slows and dies on an average box, on the Eee its doomed.

    --
    As we look ahead into the next century, leaders will be those who empower
    others.

  20. Re: Another blow for linux

    Ezekiel wrote:
    > http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=1507
    >

    > Newsflash from ASUS - the company is predicting that the XP Home version of
    > the Eee PC will outsell the Linux-based version by 3 to 2.
    >
    > ASUS expects to ship in the region of 5 million Eee units this year, but the
    > fact that the company expects 3 million of these to be XP-based must come as
    > a poke in the eye to all the Linux enthusiasts who saw the Eee as bringing
    > Linux to the masses.

    Oh, it's not so bad. That's 2 million new Eee's running Linux this year.

    If the world has a billion computers, that contributes 0.2% to the Linux
    usage share. According to some, Linux computers now make up 0.6% of all
    PCs---that would be a 1/3 yearly increase in Linux usage from the Eee
    alone. According to others, Linux has 2.0%---that would be a 1/10
    increase just from Eee.

    When you add in the XO and all the Eee wannabes, and all the schools and
    governments going to Linux and cross-platform FOSS apps, and ... I think
    we can expect some very respectable growth this year---not to mention
    MS's losses of revenue as it drops prices trying to compete with FREE
    software.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast