Another blow for linux - Linux

This is a discussion on Another blow for linux - Linux ; netcat writes: > On Thu, 03 Apr 2008 21:31:09 +0200, Hadron wrote: > >> netcat writes: >> >>> On Thu, 03 Apr 2008 13:43:47 -0500, JEDIDIAH wrote: >>> >>>> On 2008-04-03, Ezekiel wrote: >>>>> >>>>> http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=1507 >>>>> >>>>> >>>> That's ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 25 of 25

  1. Re: Another blow for linux

    netcat writes:

    > On Thu, 03 Apr 2008 21:31:09 +0200, Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> netcat writes:

    >>> And even the Windows XP EEE's are Linux-compatible. When their owners
    >>> get

    >> LOL.

    > Microsoft doesn't find linux hardware compatibility to be at all
    > laughable.
    >
    >> You'll be like Koehlmann claiming the PS3 is a Linux machine. You'll no
    >> doubt be claiming that all the EEEs shipped with Xp are in fact "Linux
    >> machines".

    > Show where I said any such thing.

    Do you know what "you'll" is short for?

    And you did mention the EEE being "linux compatible".

    Nice Nym btw!

  2. Re: Another blow for linux

    * Matt peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Ezekiel wrote:
    >> http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=1507
    >>

    >> Newsflash from ASUS - the company is predicting that the XP Home version of
    >> the Eee PC will outsell the Linux-based version by 3 to 2.
    >>

    > Oh, it's not so bad. That's 2 million new Eee's running Linux this year.
    >
    > If the world has a billion computers, that contributes 0.2% to the Linux
    > usage share. According to some, Linux computers now make up 0.6% of all
    > PCs---that would be a 1/3 yearly increase in Linux usage from the Eee
    > alone. According to others, Linux has 2.0%---that would be a 1/10
    > increase just from Eee.
    >
    > When you add in the XO and all the Eee wannabes, and all the schools and
    > governments going to Linux and cross-platform FOSS apps, and ... I think
    > we can expect some very respectable growth this year---not to mention
    > MS's losses of revenue as it drops prices trying to compete with FREE
    > software.

    And making their former flagship OS (Win XP) a /loss leader/.

    --
    Gates is the ultimate programming machine. He believes everything can be
    defined, examined, reduced to essentials, and rearranged into a logical

  3. Re: Another blow for linux

    On Fri, 04 Apr 2008 09:46:38 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > netcat writes:

    >>> LOL.

    >> Microsoft doesn't find linux hardware compatibility to be at all
    >> laughable.
    >>
    >>> You'll be like Koehlmann claiming the PS3 is a Linux machine. You'll
    >>> no doubt be claiming that all the EEEs shipped with Xp are in fact
    >>> "Linux machines".

    >> Show where I said any such thing.

    > Do you know what "you'll" is short for?

    Yea, it's short for "I think I'll just make up something I want you to
    say someday".

  4. Re: Another blow for linux

    Linonut wrote:

    > And making their former flagship OS (Win XP) a /loss leader/.

    They would much rather be selling Vista on full-featured laptops. The
    cheap good-enough hardware and software will cut into their profits. If
    ten million Eee-like machines are sold this year, that preempts the
    sale of say five million Vista/Office laptops. At an average loss of
    $150 each, this situation might cost them two billion dollars in the
    next two years.

  5. Re: Another blow for linux

    [snips]

    On Thu, 03 Apr 2008 11:01:10 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:

    > http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=1507
    >

    > Newsflash from ASUS - the company is predicting that the XP Home version
    > of the Eee PC will outsell the Linux-based version by 3 to 2.

    XP? You mean the discontinued OS with no future? Fine. Let's see the
    Vista version of the EEE, you know, the one with the 2GB RAM suggested as
    the realistic usable minimum for Vista, sufficiently large drives, etc.

    On another note... 3 to 2? That hardly matches the supposed "1%" and
    "3.2%" and similar Linux usage and adoption figures we keep hearing
    about; instead, they're damn near neck and neck. If Linux is as
    unpopular and unappealing as certain nimrods around here persist in
    saying it is, that number shouldn't be 3:2, it should be more like 60:2
    or 90:2 or even higher.

    So how do you account for this discrepancy, where we're constantly told
    Linux is so unappealing, yet the example here suggests otherwise?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2