[News] Firefox is Secure, Windows is Not (Firefox on Linux is Secure) - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Firefox is Secure, Windows is Not (Firefox on Linux is Secure) - Linux ; Firefox Won't Save You from IE Flaws ,----[ Quote ] | Users running Firefox are vulnerable to IE flaws via files supported by | Windows Media Player, a researcher shows. `---- http://www.channelinsider.com/articl.../215558_1.aspx IE is not secure: Second Life and Microsoft ...

  1. [News] Firefox is Secure, Windows is Not (Firefox on Linux is Secure)

    `----

    http://www.channelinsider.com/articl.../215558_1.aspx

    IE is not secure:

    Second Life and Microsoft Do Not Play Nice

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | This issue can also be tallied up to the many vulnerabilities often discoverd
    | by the many Microsoft hating open source programmers out there. It has been
    | discovered that Internet Explorer can be used to steal authentican
    | credentials for Second Life grid logins.
    `----

    http://www.secondlifeupdate.com/2007...not-play-nice/

    Windows is not secure:

    New security flaw found in Microsoft's MFC library

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | A new moderately critical vulnerability has been reported that affects two
    | application programming interfaces (APIs) used in Windows XP.
    `----

    http://arstechnica.com/journals/micr...ts-mfc-library

    Windows Media Player is not secure:

    Security Researcher Finds Flaw in Windows Media Player

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Hackers can wield malicious Windows Media Player files to exploit any
    | unpatched Internet Explorer (IE) vulnerability on a PC, even if IE isn't the
    | browser of choice.
    `----

    http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,13...1/article.html

    Apple's proprietary counterpart isn't any better:

    Firefox Fends Off QuickTime Bug Threat

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "When the recent QuickTime-based exploit pointed out that the problem had not
    | been entirely addressed, NoScript users were still entirely safe," Maone told
    | LinuxInsider.
    `----

    It's a good thing Linux doesn't get QuickTime.

    All the above shows that Open Source applications on Windows won't provide the
    security of a full switch to Linux. Windows is the problem, not the Free
    software people develop and compile for it.

  2. Re: [News] Firefox is Secure, Windows is Not (Firefox on Linux is Secure)

    wrote
    on Fri, 21 Sep 2007 08:30:50 +0100
    <10462961.BaN0yrZU0p@schestowitz.com>:
    > Firefox Won't Save You from IE Flaws
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Users running Firefox are vulnerable to IE flaws via files supported by
    > | Windows Media Player, a researcher shows.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.channelinsider.com/articl.../215558_1.aspx

    Um...is this an IE flaw, or a WMP flaw, or a Windows flaw?
    In any event, part of the problem with Windows is that
    Mozilla has to use Windows services. While Mozilla on
    Linux has to use Linux services, said Linux services tend
    to be much more secure and robust (and limited: Linux
    does not provide browser functionality as such but merely
    sockets; the app program and implementation libraries do
    the rest).

    [rest snipped]

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C/C++ Programming Idea #104392:
    for(int i = 0; i < 1000000; i++) sleep(0);

  3. Re: [News] Firefox is Secure, Windows is Not (Firefox on Linux is Secure)

    On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 06:50:41 -0700, The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Roy Schestowitz
    > wrote
    > on Fri, 21 Sep 2007 08:30:50 +0100
    > <10462961.BaN0yrZU0p@schestowitz.com>:
    >> Firefox Won't Save You from IE Flaws
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | Users running Firefox are vulnerable to IE flaws via files supported
    >> | by Windows Media Player, a researcher shows.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.channelinsider.com/articl.../215558_1.aspx

    > Um...is this an IE flaw, or a WMP flaw, or a Windows flaw? In any event,
    > part of the problem with Windows is that Mozilla has to use Windows
    > services. While Mozilla on Linux has to use Linux services, said Linux
    > services tend to be much more secure and robust (and limited: Linux does
    > not provide browser functionality as such but merely sockets; the app
    > program and implementation libraries do the rest).
    >
    > [rest snipped]

    Can't one just use Mplayer to get around this problem?

  4. Re: [News] Firefox is Secure, Windows is Not (Firefox on Linux is Secure)

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, alt

    wrote
    on Fri, 21 Sep 2007 22:37:10 GMT
    :
    > On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 06:50:41 -0700, The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >
    >> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Roy Schestowitz
    >> wrote
    >> on Fri, 21 Sep 2007 08:30:50 +0100
    >> <10462961.BaN0yrZU0p@schestowitz.com>:
    >>> Firefox Won't Save You from IE Flaws
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> `----
    >>>
    >>> http://www.channelinsider.com/articl.../215558_1.aspx

    >> Um...is this an IE flaw, or a WMP flaw, or a Windows flaw? In any event,
    >> part of the problem with Windows is that Mozilla has to use Windows
    >> services. While Mozilla on Linux has to use Linux services, said Linux
    >> services tend to be much more secure and robust (and limited: Linux does
    >> not provide browser functionality as such but merely sockets; the app
    >> program and implementation libraries do the rest).
    >>
    >> [rest snipped]

    > Can't one just use Mplayer to get around this problem?

    What, on Windows? Good question. I wish I knew.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C++ Programming Idea #12995733:
    bool f(bool g, bool h) { if(g) h = true; else h = false; return h;}

  5. Re: [News] Firefox is Secure, Windows is Not (Firefox on Linux is Secure)

    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, alt
    >
    > wrote
    > on Fri, 21 Sep 2007 22:37:10 GMT
    > :
    > > On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 06:50:41 -0700, The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    > >
    > >> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Roy Schestowitz
    > >> wrote
    > >> on Fri, 21 Sep 2007 08:30:50 +0100

    http://www.channelinsider.com/articl.../215558_1.aspx

    > >> Um...is this an IE flaw, or a WMP flaw, or a Windows flaw? In any

    event,
    > >> part of the problem with Windows is that Mozilla has to use Windows
    > >> services. While Mozilla on Linux has to use Linux services, said Linux
    > >> services tend to be much more secure and robust (and limited: Linux

    does
    > >> not provide browser functionality as such but merely sockets; the app
    > >> program and implementation libraries do the rest).
    > >>
    > >> [rest snipped]

    > > Can't one just use Mplayer to get around this problem?
    > >

    > What, on Windows? Good question. I wish I knew.

    I doubt it, since my on laptop Apple Quicktime doesn't work correctly, in
    any browser. At least Quicktime is trying to upgrade when it dies. I can
    play Quicktime files with Nero Showtime, but that doesn't work in Firefox.
    If I could just find a good GPS program for serial Earthmate, I would try
    Linux on it again. I use the laptop for GPS and light internet use.

+ Reply to Thread