OOXML: The Return of the Champ - Linux

This is a discussion on OOXML: The Return of the Champ - Linux ; http://rcpmag.com/blogs/weblog.aspx?blog=2075 Really, though, what can we learn from this event? There's an old boxing adage that says that a challenger has to knock out the champ in order to beat him; a decision by the judges will never do. Well, ...

  1. OOXML: The Return of the Champ

    http://rcpmag.com/blogs/weblog.aspx?blog=2075

    Really, though, what can we learn from this event? There's an old boxing
    adage that says that a challenger has to knock out the champ in order to
    beat him; a decision by the judges will never do. Well, in this case, nobody
    could knock out the champ -- not the open source movement, not rival
    vendors, not bloggers, not the trade press. OOXML's status as a standard
    might not affect our everyday work lives all that much, but it does remind
    us of one thing: Microsoft is still Microsoft, and, when it wants to be,
    Microsoft is still the boss.

  2. Re: OOXML: The Return of the Champ

    On Thu, 3 Apr 2008 07:37:26 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:

    > http://rcpmag.com/blogs/weblog.aspx?blog=2075
    >

    > Really, though, what can we learn from this event? There's an old boxing
    > adage that says that a challenger has to knock out the champ in order to
    > beat him; a decision by the judges will never do. Well, in this case, nobody
    > could knock out the champ -- not the open source movement, not rival
    > vendors, not bloggers, not the trade press. OOXML's status as a standard
    > might not affect our everyday work lives all that much, but it does remind
    > us of one thing: Microsoft is still Microsoft, and, when it wants to be,
    > Microsoft is still the boss.

    Linux always seems to be the losing team these days.
    Just about everything the Linux community attempts gets hosed.

    It must suck to be on the losing team

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: OOXML: The Return of the Champ

    "Moshe Goldfarb" wrote in message
    > On Thu, 3 Apr 2008 07:37:26 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:
    >
    >> http://rcpmag.com/blogs/weblog.aspx?blog=2075
    >>

    >> Really, though, what can we learn from this event? There's an old boxing
    >> adage that says that a challenger has to knock out the champ in order to
    >> beat him; a decision by the judges will never do. Well, in this case,
    >> nobody
    >> could knock out the champ -- not the open source movement, not rival
    >> vendors, not bloggers, not the trade press. OOXML's status as a standard
    >> might not affect our everyday work lives all that much, but it does
    >> remind
    >> us of one thing: Microsoft is still Microsoft, and, when it wants to be,
    >> Microsoft is still the boss.
    >>

    > Linux always seems to be the losing team these days.
    > Just about everything the Linux community attempts gets hosed.
    >
    > It must suck to be on the losing team

    Linux reminds one of the child's tale of the ugly duckling. Here is Linux,
    pining away because it thinks it is Windows when in reality it is a generic
    sort of Unix. It can shine in the Unix pond, I believe, but it cannot quack
    like a duck and people who want ducks will always know it to be a fake.

  4. Re: OOXML: The Return of the Champ

    Ezekiel wrote:
    > http://rcpmag.com/blogs/weblog.aspx?blog=2075
    >

    > Really, though, what can we learn from this event? There's an old boxing
    > adage that says that a challenger has to knock out the champ in order to
    > beat him; a decision by the judges will never do. Well, in this case, nobody
    > could knock out the champ -- not the open source movement, not rival
    > vendors, not bloggers, not the trade press. OOXML's status as a standard
    > might not affect our everyday work lives all that much, but it does remind
    > us of one thing: Microsoft is still Microsoft, and, when it wants to be,
    > Microsoft is still the boss.

    Yes, it has shown that when Microsoft wants something to happen, it can
    surely but the happening.

    --
    Rick

  5. Re: OOXML: The Return of the Champ

    Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    > On Thu, 3 Apr 2008 07:37:26 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:
    >
    >> http://rcpmag.com/blogs/weblog.aspx?blog=2075
    >>

    >> Really, though, what can we learn from this event? There's an old boxing
    >> adage that says that a challenger has to knock out the champ in order to
    >> beat him; a decision by the judges will never do. Well, in this case, nobody
    >> could knock out the champ -- not the open source movement, not rival
    >> vendors, not bloggers, not the trade press. OOXML's status as a standard
    >> might not affect our everyday work lives all that much, but it does remind
    >> us of one thing: Microsoft is still Microsoft, and, when it wants to be,
    >> Microsoft is still the boss.
    >>

    > Linux always seems to be the losing team these days.
    > Just about everything the Linux community attempts gets hosed.
    >
    > It must suck to be on the losing team

    Why do you use an OS that you apparently think is so bad?

    --
    Rick

  6. Re: OOXML: The Return of the Champ

    amicus_curious wrote:

    > "Moshe Goldfarb" wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 3 Apr 2008 07:37:26 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:
    >>
    >>> http://rcpmag.com/blogs/weblog.aspx?blog=2075
    >>>

    >>> Really, though, what can we learn from this event? There's an old boxing
    >>> adage that says that a challenger has to knock out the champ in order to
    >>> beat him; a decision by the judges will never do. Well, in this case,
    >>> nobody
    >>> could knock out the champ -- not the open source movement, not rival
    >>> vendors, not bloggers, not the trade press. OOXML's status as a standard
    >>> might not affect our everyday work lives all that much, but it does
    >>> remind
    >>> us of one thing: Microsoft is still Microsoft, and, when it wants to be,
    >>> Microsoft is still the boss.
    >>>

    >> Linux always seems to be the losing team these days.
    >> Just about everything the Linux community attempts gets hosed.
    >>
    >> It must suck to be on the losing team
    >>

    > Linux reminds one of the child's tale of the ugly duckling. Here is
    > Linux, pining away because it thinks it is Windows when in reality it is
    > a generic sort of Unix. It can shine in the Unix pond, I believe, but
    > it cannot quack like a duck and people who want ducks will always know
    > it to be a fake.

    Idiot. No one thinks Linux is Windows.. except maybe you.

    --
    Rick

+ Reply to Thread