OLPC becomes more obsolete as Intel unveils latest Classmate PCs - Linux

This is a discussion on OLPC becomes more obsolete as Intel unveils latest Classmate PCs - Linux ; http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080403/...c34R0dHzkjtBAF SAN FRANCISCO - Intel Corp. unveiled new features for its line of low-cost laptops for schools Wednesday, adding bigger screens and more data storage capacity as the chip maker ratchets up its rivalry with the One Laptop per Child ...

  1. OLPC becomes more obsolete as Intel unveils latest Classmate PCs

    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080403/...c34R0dHzkjtBAF

    SAN FRANCISCO - Intel Corp. unveiled new features for its line of low-cost
    laptops for schools Wednesday, adding bigger screens and more data storage
    capacity as the chip maker ratchets up its rivalry with the One Laptop per
    Child organization, which sells a competing machine.

    Other tweaks to the Classmate that Intel announced Wednesday from its
    developer forum in Shanghai include the availability of both 7-inch and
    9-inch screens, a 30 gigabyte hard disk drive and an integrated Web camera.

  2. Re: OLPC becomes more obsolete as Intel unveils latest Classmate PCs

    On Thu, 3 Apr 2008 07:30:31 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:

    > http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080403/...c34R0dHzkjtBAF
    >

    > SAN FRANCISCO - Intel Corp. unveiled new features for its line of low-cost
    > laptops for schools Wednesday, adding bigger screens and more data storage
    > capacity as the chip maker ratchets up its rivalry with the One Laptop per
    > Child organization, which sells a competing machine.
    >
    > Other tweaks to the Classmate that Intel announced Wednesday from its
    > developer forum in Shanghai include the availability of both 7-inch and
    > 9-inch screens, a 30 gigabyte hard disk drive and an integrated Web camera.

    The OLPC was obsolete the day it was released.
    Not because it wasn't a noble ide, but because the Linux loons running the
    projected corrupted and mismanaged the entire thing.

    Typical......

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: OLPC becomes more obsolete as Intel unveils latest Classmate PCs

    Ezekiel wrote:

    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080403/...c34R0dHzkjtBAF

    > SAN FRANCISCO - Intel Corp. unveiled new features for its line of low-cost
    > laptops for schools Wednesday, adding bigger screens and more data storage
    > capacity as the chip maker ratchets up its rivalry with the One Laptop per
    > Child organization, which sells a competing machine.
    >
    > Other tweaks to the Classmate that Intel announced Wednesday from its
    > developer forum in Shanghai include the availability of both 7-inch and
    > 9-inch screens, a 30 gigabyte hard disk drive and an integrated Web
    > camera.

    It's not even close to being a rival.

    It uses too much power, doesn't have the "practically-dead" power-saving
    capabilities, and is twice the price! How the hell can you call that a
    rival?

  4. Re: OLPC becomes more obsolete as Intel unveils latest Classmate PCs

    "Cork Soaker" wrote in message
    > Ezekiel wrote:
    >

    > http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080403/...c34R0dHzkjtBAF
    >>

    >> SAN FRANCISCO - Intel Corp. unveiled new features for its line of
    >> low-cost
    >> laptops for schools Wednesday, adding bigger screens and more data
    >> storage
    >> capacity as the chip maker ratchets up its rivalry with the One Laptop
    >> per
    >> Child organization, which sells a competing machine.
    >>
    >> Other tweaks to the Classmate that Intel announced Wednesday from its
    >> developer forum in Shanghai include the availability of both 7-inch and
    >> 9-inch screens, a 30 gigabyte hard disk drive and an integrated Web
    >> camera.
    >>

    > It's not even close to being a rival.
    >
    > It uses too much power, doesn't have the "practically-dead" power-saving
    > capabilities, and is twice the price! How the hell can you call that a
    > rival?

    The Classmate isn't a rival in the same way that the Brownsville Gazzette
    isn't a rival to the New York Times. The Classmate kicks the OLPC's ass and
    then mops up the floor with it. The OLPC is on life support. It's basically
    dead only you haven't figured it out yet.

  5. Re: OLPC becomes more obsolete as Intel unveils latest Classmate PCs

    Ezekiel wrote:

    > http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080403/ap_on_hi_te

    intel_low_cost_laptops;_ylt=At9N1SfKPmp8RLc34R0dHz kjtBAF

    > SAN FRANCISCO - Intel Corp. unveiled new features for its line of low-cost
    > laptops for schools Wednesday, adding bigger screens and more data storage
    > capacity as the chip maker ratchets up its rivalry with the One Laptop per
    > Child organization, which sells a competing machine.

    Charity killer Intel$ shareholders approve all this?
    Or is it the management thats out of touch with charity?

    If I were a majority Intel$ shareholder, I would sack the lot
    of them and tell them to focus on making chips - not killing
    charities.

  6. Re: OLPC becomes more obsolete as Intel unveils latest Classmate PCs

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Rick

    wrote
    on Thu, 03 Apr 2008 14:58:27 -0500
    <4_adnbgy_pNFtWjanZ2dnUVZ_qLinZ2d@supernews.com>:
    > Ezekiel wrote:
    >> http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080403/...c34R0dHzkjtBAF
    >>

    >> SAN FRANCISCO - Intel Corp. unveiled new features for
    >> its line of low-cost laptops for schools Wednesday,
    >> adding bigger screens and more data storage capacity
    >> as the chip maker ratchets up its rivalry with the
    >> One Laptop per Child organization, which sells
    >> a competing machine.
    >>
    >> Other tweaks to the Classmate that Intel announced
    >> Wednesday from its developer forum in Shanghai include
    >> the availability of both 7-inch and 9-inch screens,
    >> a 30 gigabyte hard disk drive and an integrated Web camera.
    >>

    > Since it never was obsolete, it can't become obsolete.

    ??

    That statement didn't quite parse; clarification?

    I should note that I am using a laptop with a 15" screen,
    which was obsolete when I got it. Battery lifetime on
    this beast (HP Compaq nx9010) is about 2 hours[*]; 512 MB
    (upgradable to 1 GB) RAM and 40 GB drive (upgradable to
    80), along with wifi, CD/DVD (I don't think it's a burner),
    and a 3 1/2" floppy complete the ensemble.

    Clearly this unit is more powerful than an OLPC or a
    Classmate, but then it serves a different market. I'm not
    a schoolchild in a highly corrupt, impoverished country
    (though I do wonder quite a bit as to corruption here
    :-) ).

    Perhaps that's where the problem truly is -- and if so,
    a bit OT for COLA.

    Good luck on Intel achieving 11 hour battery lifetime,
    especially since a schoolday is about 6 hours in length,
    well past the existing Classmate's 3 hour limit.

    I'm also curious as to what Windows OS the Classmate will use.

    > ... and...
    >
    > Why don't you find it curious that the for-profit
    > corporations had no interest in low cost small
    > computers until the not-for-profits showed it
    > can be done, and people would but them?

    I'm assuming "buy". I'll admit to some mild curiosity
    there myself. Microsoft pulled a similar trick when ODF
    was announced, and now OOXML is poised to compete for
    mindshare with ODF.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Windows Vista. Because it's time to refresh your hardware. Trust us.

  7. Re: OLPC becomes more obsolete as Intel unveils latest ClassmatePCs

    Ezekiel wrote:
    > http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080403/...c34R0dHzkjtBAF
    >

    > SAN FRANCISCO - Intel Corp. unveiled new features for its line of low-cost
    > laptops for schools Wednesday, adding bigger screens and more data storage
    > capacity as the chip maker ratchets up its rivalry with the One Laptop per
    > Child organization, which sells a competing machine.
    >
    > Other tweaks to the Classmate that Intel announced Wednesday from its
    > developer forum in Shanghai include the availability of both 7-inch and
    > 9-inch screens, a 30 gigabyte hard disk drive and an integrated Web camera.

    Since it never was obsolete, it can't become obsolete.

    .... and...

    Why don't you find it curious that the for-profit corporations had no
    interest in low cost small computers until the not-for-profits showed it
    can be done, and people would but them?

    --
    Rick

  8. Re: OLPC becomes more obsolete as Intel unveils latest ClassmatePCs

    Ezekiel wrote:
    > "Cork Soaker" wrote in message
    >> Ezekiel wrote:
    >>
    >> http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080403/...c34R0dHzkjtBAF
    >>>
    >>> SAN FRANCISCO - Intel Corp. unveiled new features for its line of
    >>> low-cost
    >>> laptops for schools Wednesday, adding bigger screens and more data
    >>> storage
    >>> capacity as the chip maker ratchets up its rivalry with the One Laptop
    >>> per
    >>> Child organization, which sells a competing machine.
    >>>
    >>> Other tweaks to the Classmate that Intel announced Wednesday from its
    >>> developer forum in Shanghai include the availability of both 7-inch and
    >>> 9-inch screens, a 30 gigabyte hard disk drive and an integrated Web
    >>> camera.
    >>>

    >> It's not even close to being a rival.
    >>
    >> It uses too much power, doesn't have the "practically-dead" power-saving
    >> capabilities, and is twice the price! How the hell can you call that a
    >> rival?

    > The Classmate isn't a rival in the same way that the Brownsville Gazzette
    > isn't a rival to the New York Times. The Classmate kicks the OLPC's ass and
    > then mops up the floor with it. The OLPC is on life support. It's basically
    > dead only you haven't figured it out yet.

    WHy do you enjoy looking stupid?

    --
    Rick

+ Reply to Thread