[News] Cabinet Office in the UK Apparently Considers Free Software - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Cabinet Office in the UK Apparently Considers Free Software - Linux ; PC deal could save public sector billions ,----[ Quote ] | The Cabinet Office's price of £800 to £1,000 per PC - according to the | numbers bought - includes support, server farms, security to low-level | government standards, storage, ...

  1. [News] Cabinet Office in the UK Apparently Considers Free Software

    PC deal could save public sector billions

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The Cabinet Office's price of £800 to £1,000 per PC - according to the
    | numbers bought - includes support, server farms, security to low-level
    | government standards, storage, Open Office software and infrastructure costs.
    | It is "commodity" pricing for supported PCs, said Suffolk.
    `----

    http://www.computerweekly.com/Articl...r-billions.htm

    Assume they mean OpenOffice? LXer cites it, so it seems like good news. They
    still seem to be listening to Microsoft-funded shills called Gartner.

    Related:

    Lawmaker blasts U.K. government on Microsoft policy

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | A member of Parliament of the United Kingdom has launched a stinging
    | attack on the U.K. government's IT strategy, saying that it has given
    | Microsoft too much control.
    |
    | John Pugh, who is a member of Parliament, or MP, for Southport and a
    | member of the Public Accounts Committee, was speaking in an
    | adjournment debate on Tuesday that he had called. The aim of the
    | debate, he said, was to explore the alternatives to using Microsoft
    | software, including open source.
    `----

    http://www.news.com/Lawmaker-blasts-...3-6212721.html
    http://tinyurl.com/2ashm2

  2. Re: [News] Cabinet Office in the UK Apparently Considers FreeSoftware

    On Thu, 03 Apr 2008 07:21:16 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Assume they mean OpenOffice? LXer cites it, so it seems like good news.
    > They still seem to be listening to Microsoft-funded shills called
    > Gartner.

    The UK Tory Party have already said that when they are elected they will
    promote a much wider use of open source software in government.

    http://www.conservatives.com/tile.do...&obj_id=135394
    http://www.conservatives.com/tile.do...&obj_id=135408

  3. Re: [News] Cabinet Office in the UK Apparently Considers Free Software

    ____/ Robin T Cox on Thursday 03 April 2008 08:57 : \____

    > On Thu, 03 Apr 2008 07:21:16 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> Assume they mean OpenOffice? LXer cites it, so it seems like good news.
    >> They still seem to be listening to Microsoft-funded shills called
    >> Gartner.

    > The UK Tory Party have already said that when they are elected they will
    > promote a much wider use of open source software in government.
    >
    > http://www.conservatives.com/tile.do...&obj_id=135394
    > http://www.conservatives.com/tile.do...&obj_id=135408

    Also noteworthy from the article above:

    ____
    Suffolk told Gartner, “I think we have fundamentally failed on a worldwide
    basis as an IT industry to understand the cost of what we do. And I roundly
    blame Gartner for this, because you guys are the ones who come up with TCO
    [total cost of ownership] benchmarking. It has become a self-fulfilling
    prophecy.

    “So, I go out and I pick boring desktop infrastructure. What price do you
    think the suppliers broadly pitch? You will not be shocked to know that it is
    somewhere around the Gartner TCO benchmark.”
    ___

    So do you see how Gartnersoft fixes the prices? Old quote:

    “Microsoft did sponsor the benchmark testing and the NT server was better tuned
    than the Linux one. Having said that, I must say that I still trust the
    Windows NT server would have outperformed the Linux one.”

    –Windows platform manager, Microsoft South-Africa
    Reference: Outrage at Microsoft’s independent, yet sponsored NT 4.0/Linux
    research

    Also this:

    “Analysts sell out - that’s their business model… But they are very concerned
    that they never look like they are selling out, so that makes them very
    prickly to work with.”

    –Microsoft, internal document

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | "These characters were randomly picked"
    Tasks: 108 total, 2 running, 106 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie

  4. Re: [News] Cabinet Office in the UK Apparently Considers FreeSoftware

    On Thu, 03 Apr 2008 10:43:32 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    >> The UK Tory Party have already said that when they are elected they
    >> will promote a much wider use of open source software in government.

    And, as we speak David Cameron has reiterated Tory support for Linux and
    open source. Reported in today's Register.

    David Cameron embraced Linux, open source and bottoms-up decision-making
    today as he detailed his vision of a Tory innovation policy in a speech
    at the National Endowment for Science, Technology and the Arts.

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/04...e_open_source/

  5. Re: [News] Cabinet Office in the UK Apparently Considers Free Software

    ____/ Robin T Cox on Thursday 03 April 2008 16:18 : \____

    > On Thu, 03 Apr 2008 10:43:32 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >>> The UK Tory Party have already said that when they are elected they
    >>> will promote a much wider use of open source software in government.

    > And, as we speak David Cameron has reiterated Tory support for Linux and
    > open source. Reported in today's Register.
    >

    > David Cameron embraced Linux, open source and bottoms-up decision-making
    > today as he detailed his vision of a Tory innovation policy in a speech
    > at the National Endowment for Science, Technology and the Arts.
    >

    > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/04...e_open_source/

    Brilliant. Deeds are more credible than words though. In Brasil it's often used
    as sentimental attachment (some say), but recent reports indicate a sharp rise
    for Linux and FOSS there. Here is a recent one:

    Brazilian Enterprises Embrace Open Source

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Linux and related open-source software has gained an increasingly important
    | role among large local corporations in Brazil, according to a recent study.
    |
    | The Instituto Sem Fronteiras, a Brazilan research firm, found that 73 percent
    | of companies with more than a thousand employees are open source users. *
    `----

    http://www.crn.com/software/206904491

    OOXML: Brazil Says NO. Again.

    ,----[ Quote ]
    `----

    http://avi.alkalay.net/2008/03/ooxml...-no-again.html

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | #00ff00 Day - Basket Case
    Tasks: 110 total, 1 running, 109 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie