Ubuntu 8.04 Persistent mode working - Linux

This is a discussion on Ubuntu 8.04 Persistent mode working - Linux ; Hia all, I easily got Ubuntu 8.04 to boot up using a 1GB usb. (750mb fat32 partition) Boots fine into live CD mode. The remainder space formatted ext2 -rw named casper. At boot, I type persistent and it seems to ...

  1. Ubuntu 8.04 Persistent mode working

    Hia all,

    I easily got Ubuntu 8.04 to boot up using a 1GB usb. (750mb fat32
    partition) Boots fine into live CD mode.
    The remainder space formatted ext2 -rw named casper.

    At boot, I type persistent and it seems to go but it won't save any
    changes.

    I've been banging my head for a while with this and hope someone could
    shed some light.
    Did they fix Persistent mode in 8.04?
    ANYONE get this working??

    I even (after standards didn't work) edited the init file in the
    compressed initrd.gz to reflect persistent as per;
    http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2007/09...er-persistent/

    Please let me know what file log to post if that helps trouble
    shooting.
    Also, I get a different boot menu versus when it booted from CD.
    I don't have the option for a command prompt mode.

    Thanks so much

  2. Re: Ubuntu 8.04 Persistent mode working

    "wilsonbradley AT gmail.com" wrote in message
    > Hia all,
    >
    > I easily got Ubuntu 8.04 to boot up using a 1GB usb. (750mb fat32
    > partition) Boots fine into live CD mode.
    > The remainder space formatted ext2 -rw named casper.
    >
    > At boot, I type persistent and it seems to go but it won't save any
    > changes.
    >
    > I've been banging my head for a while with this and hope someone could
    > shed some light.
    > Did they fix Persistent mode in 8.04?
    > ANYONE get this working??
    >

    > I even (after standards didn't work) edited the init file in the
    > compressed initrd.gz to reflect persistent as per;
    > http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2007/09...er-persistent/
    >
    > Please let me know what file log to post if that helps trouble
    > shooting.
    > Also, I get a different boot menu versus when it booted from CD.
    > I don't have the option for a command prompt mode.
    >
    > Thanks so much

    Have you tried persistent mode with NepaLinux?

    If that doesn't work download and try persistent mode with Dzongkha linux.

    Lots of people have had good results getting persistent mode to work with
    Pingo linux.

    Personally I feel that Condorux linux handles persistent mode better than
    Pingo linux but that's just me.

    My grandmother uses persistent mode on VectorLinux and swears by it.

    My grandfather initially insisted on using Murix linux to get persistent
    mode working but eventually gave in to grandma.

    I thought that using persistent mode on Kalango linux was the best choice
    for my grandparents but it didn't support their modem.

    There's a buzz around town about MoLinux being better than Clonezilla linux
    at persistent mode but that might just turn out to by hype.

    The guy at the carwash ("Booger") claims to have persistent mode working on
    doggy linux but I have serious doubts believing him.

  3. Re: Ubuntu 8.04 Persistent mode working

    wilsonbradley AT gmail.com wrote:

    > Hia all,
    >
    > I easily got Ubuntu 8.04 to boot up using a 1GB usb. (750mb fat32
    > partition) Boots fine into live CD mode.
    > The remainder space formatted ext2 -rw named casper.
    >
    > At boot, I type persistent and it seems to go but it won't save any
    > changes.
    >
    > I've been banging my head for a while with this and hope someone could
    > shed some light.

    Banging head?

    You need to use the ubuntu help forums.
    They have very extensive how to write ups about these kinds of things.
    Or try linuxquestions.org - thats a massive resource.
    Or at the very least google.
    Or failing that, how about using the ubuntu newsgroups?

  4. Re: Ubuntu 8.04 Persistent mode working

    Micoshaft Fraudster Ezekiel wrote on behalf of half wits at Micoshaft
    Corporation:

    > Have you tried

    I don't think you are trying to be anything other than a foul
    mouth for the stinking Micoshaft Corporation outfit.

    Micoshaft Corporation brand image stinks - no one wants it
    especially when asstroturfers like you are selling it.

  5. Re: Ubuntu 8.04 Persistent mode working

    [snips]

    On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 17:35:11 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:

    >> I've been banging my head for a while with this and hope someone could
    >> shed some light.
    >> Did they fix Persistent mode in 8.04? ANYONE get this working??

    > Have you tried persistent mode with NepaLinux?

    Just for giggles, how's Vista's persistent mode working? You know, the
    one where I can install Vista to a USB key, boot off that, persist my
    settings and take it with me wherever I go?

    Oh, wait, you can't even install it to a USB key, can you? And I suspect
    the licensing suggests that even if you could, you're not allowed to, as
    that would mean using it on multiple machines.

    Hmm. Well, no, see, that must be wrong. Why? Simple: you're
    criticizing Linux about a feature not quite working, when Windows, last I
    checked, isn't even offering an *attempt* at the same sort of feature.

    I'm sure you'll correct me, of course, by telling me which version of
    Vista I can order from MS, such that I, the user, get to choose whether
    to install it to my desktop or to a CD, USB key and the like, then use it
    as either a "full" install or a LiveCD version.

    There *is* such a version, right? If not, then as I said, you're
    criticizing Linux for not doing something perfectly, when Windows isn't
    even making an attempt.

+ Reply to Thread