[News] Windows XP Remains Alive Only Because of GNU/Linux, Competition - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Windows XP Remains Alive Only Because of GNU/Linux, Competition - Linux ; Microsoft's Windows XP Conundrum ,----[ Quote ] | With ASUS preparing its second generation Eee PC and a number of pretenders | to the low-cost throne gearing up for production with Linux-based solutions, | Microsoft needs an OS to complement ...

  1. [News] Windows XP Remains Alive Only Because of GNU/Linux, Competition

    Microsoft's Windows XP Conundrum

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | With ASUS preparing its second generation Eee PC and a number of pretenders
    | to the low-cost throne gearing up for production with Linux-based solutions,
    | Microsoft needs an OS to complement these machines. The only feasible option
    | right now is, of course, Windows XP.
    `----

    http://www.dailytech.com/Microsofts+...icle11320c.htm

    The low-cost laptop offer Microsoft can't refuse

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | That leaves Microsoft executives with a choice: Do they extend the
    | availability of Windows XP for low-cost laptops, or possibly concede this
    | nascent market to Linux?
    |
    | The poster child for the low-cost laptop is Asustek Computer's US$249 Eee PC,
    | which hit the market in October last year and runs the Xandros distribution
    | of Linux. Consumers in the U.S. and elsewhere embraced the laptop, which uses
    | a version of Intel's Celeron M processor, for its small size and ability to
    | perform basic tasks like Web surfing and e-mail. It became something of an
    | overnight sensation, and that success caught the attention of other hardware
    | makers, including top-tier PC vendors.
    `----

    http://www.itworld.com/Comp/1290/low...laptop-080331/

    This is major because GNU/Linux will carry on flying ahead (KDE 4, KDE 5,
    Compiz-fusion) while Microsoft stays stuck in 2001 (XP).

    Related:

    XP gets reprieve as Vista is too big and clanky

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | That and the fact that Linux seems to be getting quite a nice foothold in the
    | budget end of the market and Vole doesn't like to share its burrow.
    |
    | Microsoft has been caught with its pants round its furry ankles in the belief
    | that system specs would rise year on year.
    `----

    http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...dline-extended

    Feeling the heat at Microsoft

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | you who is Microsoft's biggest competitor now, who would it be? *

    | to go with that.
    `----

    Microsoft's SEC filing

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | A prominent example of open source software is the Linux operating system...
    | To the extent open source software gains increasing market acceptance, sales
    | of our products may decline, we may have to reduce the prices we charge for
    | our products, and revenue and operating margins may consequently decline. *
    `----

    http://www. microsoft.com/msft/SEC/default.mspx

  2. Re: [News] Windows XP Remains Alive Only Because of GNU/Linux,Competition

    On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 14:42:29 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > | Microsoft has been caught with its pants round its furry ankles in the
    > belief | that system specs would rise year on year.

    How true, and how well expressed ...

+ Reply to Thread