OOXML: ISO/IEC DIS 29500 receives necessary votes for approval asan International Standard - Linux

This is a discussion on OOXML: ISO/IEC DIS 29500 receives necessary votes for approval asan International Standard - Linux ; http://www.iso.org/iso/pressrelease.htm?refid=Ref1123 > ISO/IEC DIS 29500 receives necessary votes for approval as an International Standard > > 2008-04-02 > > ISO/IEC DIS 29500, Information technology Office Open XML file formats, has received the necessary number of votes for approval as ...

  1. OOXML: ISO/IEC DIS 29500 receives necessary votes for approval asan International Standard

    http://www.iso.org/iso/pressrelease.htm?refid=Ref1123

    > ISO/IEC DIS 29500 receives necessary votes for approval as an International Standard
    >
    > 2008-04-02
    >
    > ISO/IEC DIS 29500, Information technology Office Open XML file formats, has received the necessary number of votes for approval as an ISO/IEC International Standard.
    >
    > Approval required at least 2/3 (i.e. 66.66 %) of the votes cast by national bodies participating in the joint technical committee ISO/IEC JTC 1, Information technology, to be positive; and no more than 1/4 (i.e. 25 %) of the total number of ISO/IEC national body votes cast to be negative. These criteria have now been met with 75 % of the JTC 1 participating member votes cast positive and 14 % of the total of national member body votes cast negative.
    >
    > The 30-day period during which ISO/IEC national bodies had the opportunity to reconsider their votes on the draft ISO/IEC DIS 29500 closed at midnight on Saturday, 29 March 2008, with the result that the criteria for approval of the document as an ISO/IEC International Standard have now been met.
    >
    > ISO/IEC DIS 29500 was originally disapproved in the "fast-track vote"which ended in September 2007, when 3 500 comments were received. However, under the rules of ISO/IEC JTC 1, the DIS vote was followed by a ballot resolution meeting (BRM) at which the comments were addressed. After the meeting, the ISO/IEC national bodies had 30 days to modify their votes if they wished.
    >
    > The BRM was held in Geneva during the week 25-29 February 2008. By eliminating redundancies, the comments had been reduced to just over 1 000 individual issues to be considered. Issues considered as priorities by national members (such as accessibility, date formats, conformance issues) were discussed, and the other comments were addressed through a voting process on the remaining items, a system agreed by the BRM participants.
    >
    > The issues addressed and revised have resulted in sufficient national bodies withdrawing their earlier disapproval votes, or transforming them into positive votes, so that the criteria for approval of the document as an International Standard have now been met. Subject to there being no formal appeals from ISO/IEC national bodies in the next two months, the International Standard will accordingly proceed to publication.

  2. OOXML receives fake votes for approval as an International Standard

    On 2 Apr, 14:39, Matt wrote:

    > > The issues addressed and revised have resulted in sufficient national bodies withdrawing their earlier disapproval votes, or transforming them into positive votes, so that the criteria for approval of the document as an International Standard have now been met ..

    I'm guessing the way so much arm-twisting was done my MS will have a
    negative impact in the long run. Do they seriously think no-one is
    watching ..

    "Expect a 2nd Official Complaint -- Against UK's OOXML Vote"

    "Shift From No to Abstain -- HP helped Microsoft France do it -
    Updated"

    Carefull with the fake headlines Matt, 'amicus fuddie' is lurking
    about and getting a sidekick to attempt to derail another thread ..
    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/02/te...gy/02soft.html

  3. Re: OOXML receives fake votes for approval as an International Standard

    Doug Mentohl writes:

    > On 2 Apr, 14:39, Matt wrote:
    >
    >> > The issues addressed and revised have resulted in sufficient national bodies withdrawing their earlier disapproval votes, or transforming them into positive votes, so that the criteria for approval of the document as an International Standard have now been met ..

    > I'm guessing the way so much arm-twisting was done my MS will have a
    > negative impact in the long run. Do they seriously think no-one is
    > watching ..
    >
    > "Expect a 2nd Official Complaint -- Against UK's OOXML Vote"
    >
    > http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?s...80401133818372
    >
    > "Shift From No to Abstain -- HP helped Microsoft France do it -
    > Updated"
    >
    > http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?s...80331212042460

    No one reads Groklaw. I perused it recently and it's simply full of tin
    foil hat wearing kooks.

    It should be called LoonyLaw.

    --
    However, my enthusiasm for the modular tree is tempered by some parts of
    it not existing.

  4. Re: OOXML receives fake votes for approval as an International Standard

    On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 17:37:28 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > Doug Mentohl writes:

    >> I'm guessing the way so much arm-twisting was done my MS will have a
    >> negative impact in the long run. Do they seriously think no-one is
    >> watching ..
    >>
    >> "Expect a 2nd Official Complaint -- Against UK's OOXML Vote"
    >>
    >> http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?s...80401133818372
    >>
    >> "Shift From No to Abstain -- HP helped Microsoft France do it -
    >> Updated"
    >>
    >> http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?s...80331212042460

    > No one reads Groklaw. I perused it recently and it's simply full of tin
    > foil hat wearing kooks.
    >
    > It should be called LoonyLaw.

    Of course.
    Guess who the site administrator is?

    The biggest nut of all, Roy Schestowitz.

    Hopefully the site doesn't get hacked and 0wned like Roy's other site was.

    Groklaw is a real can of nuts.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  5. Re: OOXML receives fake votes for approval as an InternationalStandard

    On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 17:37:28 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > Doug Mentohl writes:

    >> I'm guessing the way so much arm-twisting was done my MS will have a
    >> negative impact in the long run. Do they seriously think no-one is
    >> watching ..
    >>
    >> "Expect a 2nd Official Complaint -- Against UK's OOXML Vote"
    >>
    >> http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?s...80401133818372
    >>
    >> "Shift From No to Abstain -- HP helped Microsoft France do it -
    >> Updated"
    >>
    >> http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?s...80331212042460

    > No one reads Groklaw. I perused it recently and it's simply full of tin
    > foil hat wearing kooks.

    People DO read Groklaw. A lot of people.

    > It should be called LoonyLaw.

    Do you really think your snide little remark means anything?

    --
    Rick

  6. Re: OOXML receives fake votes for approval as an International Standard

    Verily I say unto thee, that The Ghost In The Machine spake thusly:
    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Rick wrote on Wed, 02
    > Apr 2008 17:55:42 -0500
    > :

    >> If the EU can't impose any penalties on Microsoft, how is it the EU
    >> imposed multi-million dollar fines?

    > My statement stands. The EUC can impose fines all they want; will
    > Microsoft pay or be required to pay? By whom? Who determines
    > payment? Who determines jurisdiction? How do they collect?

    Microsoft is bound by the laws of the countries it operates in, not just
    its country of registration. It is also bound by international treaties
    and trade agreements, and if it breaches those agreements then sanctions
    can and will be taken against it. If Microsoft wishes to continue
    trading in those countries, then it will abide by their respective laws
    .... it's that simple.

    A more important question might be: Will the laws that govern trading
    regulations, in each of those countries, be upheld by politicians who
    may be corrupted by the very criminals who break those laws? Given the
    obvious corruption that Microsoft is prepared to engage in to accomplish
    its nefarious goals, I doubt it, unless someone takes steps to root out
    that corruption, or better yet - shut down the corrupters. Permanently.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    `----

    10:03:26 up 107 days, 6:39, 2 users, load average: 0.02, 0.07, 0.02

+ Reply to Thread